WP Trax shock

Justin345
7/3/2017 3:34pm Edited Date/Time 2/13/2020 5:33pm
Just picked up a 2016 KTM 450 SX-F. I'm coming off a 2015 KX450F with Showa A kit suspension....so I've been spoiled with kit suspension. I've already ordered a new set of cone valves from Billy at powerband. I'm looking for real world reviews and input on the capabilities of a stock revalved shock vs shelling out the $ for the Trax shock. The Showa kit shock was absolutely amazing, night and day difference between stock revalved stuff. I've heard multiple places the stock WP shock is very capable of getting close to Trax shock performance. For those of you that have it, looking for some input and opinions of the Trax shock on a new body style KTM/husqvarna! Thanks
|
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
7/3/2017 4:51pm
You're going to want the Trax Shock, IMO.

I bought a set of lightly used CV forks and Trax Shock for my '14.5 FE 450. I picked them up at the track and threw the forks on it right away. The forks felt great, but the bike was completely out of balance. I rode it once, before swapping the Shock out. Huge difference from the ENZO valved Shock... and it wasn't even set up for me yet.

If you decide to go with the stock shock, I'd send it to Billy and have him set it up to work with the forks.

I ended up selling the bike to get the '15.5 FE 450 and sold the forks/ Shock to start over, since the forks had the smaller axle and the Shock wouldn't fit the '15.5. I got the newer CV forks and rode with the stock shock for a few months, because the shock wasn't available yet. It wasn't too bad, but knowing what I knew, I was dying to get the Trax Shock on it.

I ended up getting hurt and sold the bike. Took some time off and ended up buying an RMZ 450 and put a new set of SHOWA A-Kit forks/ Shock on it. Although the SHOWA Shock is plenty good on the RMZ, there's no way I'd short myself with just a set of forks. JMHO
ML512
Fantasy
36th
7/3/2017 4:58pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2017 4:58pm
Stock shock when revalved is just fine. In this situation, the forks are a bigger improvement imo...

If budget is an issue, you don't need to pop for the Traxx unit.
IceMan446
7/3/2017 5:03pm
ML512 wrote:
Stock shock when revalved is just fine. In this situation, the forks are a bigger improvement imo... If budget is an issue, you don't need to...
Stock shock when revalved is just fine. In this situation, the forks are a bigger improvement imo...

ML do you recommend the MX tech mid valve or the Racetech setup???

Also, do you recommend anything else to help the forks out??

The Shop

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
7/3/2017 5:49pm
ML512 wrote:
Stock shock when revalved is just fine. In this situation, the forks are a bigger improvement imo... If budget is an issue, you don't need to...

IceMan446 wrote:

Like ML said, if you have the extra cash for Trax do it!

The biggest improvemnt is the gained traction with the Trax shock, you can feel it pushing down to the ground much more than stock.
IceMan446
7/3/2017 6:42pm
ML512 wrote:

IceMan446 wrote:

Like ML said, if you have the extra cash for Trax do it! The biggest improvemnt is the gained traction with the Trax shock, you can...

The biggest improvemnt is the gained traction with the Trax shock, you can feel it pushing down to the ground much more than stock.
I think I'm going to start with the forks first and see if I can't get them decent. I don't know what to do with the mid valve at this point.

But I have heard nothing but great reviews for the trax shock. If I can get the forks good the shock might be the ticket.

Just so damn expensive!
ML512
Fantasy
36th
7/3/2017 7:53pm
ML512 wrote:

IceMan446 wrote:

Like ML said, if you have the extra cash for Trax do it! The biggest improvemnt is the gained traction with the Trax shock, you can...

I actually meant only do the Traxx shock if you want to spend the money. Grinning
ML512
Fantasy
36th
7/3/2017 7:54pm
ML512 wrote:

IceMan446 wrote:

I'm guessing you're still on 4CS?
Justin345
7/3/2017 8:23pm
ML512 wrote:
I actually meant only do the Traxx shock if you want to spend the money. Grinning
That's what I've heard from a few people. Sounds like the revalved stock shock will get so close to the performance of the Trax it may not be worth the extra dough. On the other hand, I've heard from a few people that the bike felt out of balance once they got cone valves, but felt amazing after the Trax shock. Thanks for the input fellas!
Justin345
7/3/2017 8:25pm
ML512 wrote:
Have any opinion of Showa spring vs WP cone valve? I thought you mentioned a little while ago you guys had a review coming up testing and comparing Showa/KYB/WP kit suspension. That still in the works?? I was looking forward to reading that!
IceMan446
7/3/2017 8:32pm
ML512 wrote:

IceMan446 wrote:

ML512 wrote:
Im on AERs. 17 Husky 350
ML512
Fantasy
36th
7/3/2017 8:47pm
IceMan446 wrote:

ML512 wrote:
IceMan446 wrote:
Im on AERs. 17 Husky 350
I'm still riding a set of stockers on my 250. What are you looking to improve?
ML512
Fantasy
36th
7/3/2017 8:57pm
ML512 wrote:
Justin345 wrote:
Have any opinion of Showa spring vs WP cone valve? I thought you mentioned a little while ago you guys had a review coming up testing...
Have any opinion of Showa spring vs WP cone valve? I thought you mentioned a little while ago you guys had a review coming up testing and comparing Showa/KYB/WP kit suspension. That still in the works?? I was looking forward to reading that!
We're doing the test on the CRF450R.

Do you still have your Kawi kit stuff?
IceMan446
7/3/2017 9:01pm
ML512 wrote:
IceMan446 wrote:
Im on AERs. 17 Husky 350
ML512 wrote:
from what I have felt when riding it, I get a harshness in the square edge chop, not necessarily when entering a corner where I would be using more of the stroke. But it seems right in the middle of the stroke.

I have tried going stiffer and softer on the compression and faster and slower on the rebound. Slower on the rebound seemed to help a bit. But I'm running 125psi and started around 138psi.

Did some reading on the MXTech stuff and it has got some positive reviews. Not sure if thats what I need though.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
7/3/2017 9:05pm
IceMan446 wrote:
Im on AERs. 17 Husky 350
ML512 wrote:
IceMan446 wrote:
from what I have felt when riding it, I get a harshness in the square edge chop, not necessarily when entering a corner where I would...
from what I have felt when riding it, I get a harshness in the square edge chop, not necessarily when entering a corner where I would be using more of the stroke. But it seems right in the middle of the stroke.

I have tried going stiffer and softer on the compression and faster and slower on the rebound. Slower on the rebound seemed to help a bit. But I'm running 125psi and started around 138psi.

Did some reading on the MXTech stuff and it has got some positive reviews. Not sure if thats what I need though.
Hmm...I've never had any luck going softer on the PSI with those forks. I actually went up and then went softer on compression. I was using between 3-5psi more than the stock setting and then going two to three clicks softer on compression to get a nice progresive stroke that I liked.

During our shootout, practically everyone went up on PSI by a bit.
7/3/2017 9:08pm
My brother had one on his 250SX, he noted that it does track a little bit better coming out of the corners, but a well-tuned stock shock does quite a good job if you have a good suspension guru.
IceMan446
7/3/2017 9:08pm
ML512 wrote:
Hmm...I've never had any luck going softer on the PSI with those forks. I actually went up and then went softer on compression. I was using...
Hmm...I've never had any luck going softer on the PSI with those forks. I actually went up and then went softer on compression. I was using between 3-5psi more than the stock setting and then going two to three clicks softer on compression to get a nice progresive stroke that I liked.

During our shootout, practically everyone went up on PSI by a bit.
Ok, I will try that.

I am at 20 on the compression and 12 on the rebound.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
7/3/2017 9:28pm
IceMan446 wrote:
Ok, I will try that.

I am at 20 on the compression and 12 on the rebound.
I don't have notes with me. What was stock compression? 15, 12, or 10?
ML512
Fantasy
36th
7/3/2017 9:29pm
ML512 wrote:
I don't have notes with me. What was stock compression? 15, 12, or 10?
I guess I should also ask why you went lower on PSI in the first place. What were you feeling in stock trim and looking to improve?
urbanlift707
7/3/2017 10:56pm
I'm about to find out, I have CV forks and a race tech re valved stock shock. Hopefully hit washougal old timers national this weekend.

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
7/4/2017 1:59am
I'm about to find out, I have CV forks and a race tech re valved stock shock. Hopefully hit washougal old timers national this weekend. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/07/03/203271/s1200_52079927761_4C211626_DC95_45B5_9487_BD66B3999150.jpg[/img]
I'm about to find out, I have CV forks and a race tech re valved stock shock. Hopefully hit washougal old timers national this weekend.

I'll be up at Washougal this weekend. Hit me up if you see me! KTM #205 carlinojoe@yahoo.com
Justin345
7/4/2017 2:37am
ML512 wrote:

At this minute, yes. I'm leaving in about 25 minutes to meet a guy to sell it though, haha.
bowser
7/4/2017 2:52am
I have been using a Trax on my husky for a while now, combined with cone forks.
my thoughts have changed, the trax isn't worth the extra money for the performance gain and certainly not the maintenance upkeep. Make sure you have a good understanding that the shock will need servicing 25hrs max if doing mx as the little trax springs break very easy and can't be disassembled without fully stripping the shock. Since I service my own suspension this isn't a problem for me but could get costly for someone who doesn't.

I was recently given the opportunity to do some testing for Dave at Suspension Matters on my Husky 501.

I previously have had the shock setup with Terry Hay on my old Husky 350 and was real happy with it. When I got the 501 I fitted those settings and aftermarket parts initially in the standard 501 shock before later obtaining a used Trax shock from the UK. After servicing the trax (including changing the broken trax springs) and trying a couple of different settings I ended up with a shock I was really happy with. With shim settings very close to the stock Trax enduro settings.

Dave asked me if I was interested in testing a serviced Ohlins TTX shock (not the flow version) and a standard linkage shock he built and dyno'd. He didn't give me any details on either shock regarding what outcomes I should expect. The Ohlins shock was for sale but there was no pressure to buy it, more so an opportunity to compare a standard shock against 2 premium aftermarket shocks and get an independent review to benchmark his tuning abilities.

I invited a mate out for the testing day last Sat, both of us can be fast when we want, certainly not A grade but not back of the pack either. My mate is the type of bloke who is happy with stock 4CS forks and would have no idea where his clickers are set so a good opportunity to see if he notices any differences.

The same 6.0 Racetech spring with 10mm preload was used for all testing.

I had a good run lined up which is about 1.5km up and back with a good mixture of a high speed section with sharp rocks, jumps, slow rocky section, G-out and a good sandy corner. We recently had some rain and the track was washed out but not dusty. Rear tyre is a 80% worn out Bridestone 404.

First up was my trax just to get a baseline run and warm up. My mate thought it was ok but made more comment on how nice the cone forks are now since he last rode it with SSS forks.

Next up was the Ohlins, initially I could tell how much more soft the shock felt, just wheeling it around to turn around it felt a lot more springy than the trax. Both of us done a back to back run, both of us liked the shock, it didn't do anything bad and traction was good. It did use a lot of stroke all the time. Saying that we both liked trax more as it's firmness offered more support.

Next up was Dave's standard WP shock, from the outside it looked normal, no fancy coatings, bladders or expensive adjusters. We again both done a run and came back and discussed. Traction again was impressive and the shock didn't do anything out of the ordinary. My mate made a comment it kicked him when going over a jump but my spring rate is a good 2 up from his. It also felt a lot more springy than my Trax and it stayed high in the stroke, but the difference both of us noted so much was just how progressive it felt, the shock was beautifully plush but as you pushed it hard it ramped up and soaked it up. Jumping it and landing like on pillows.

My mate was out from here on as he came off a week ago and hurt his wrists.

I initially began to wonder what expensive parts Dave had fitted inside to get it to feel this way....

In disbelieve I needed to do some more testing so I bolted the trax back up and went for another run, it felt good but lacked the progressive feeling Dave's shock had. My Trax was more firm all through the stroke compared to Dave's.

In went Dave's shock again and down for another run this time targeting some nice sized sharp rocks and mono-ing over them to let the shock take the full brunt force, again nothing, it just soaked them up without kicking the bike.

So where to now? After speaking to Dave with my findings we are planning on doing some more testing. So tomorrow i'm sending my trax to him (and the Ohlins) to get him to build it and dyno it to get the exact same damping curve as the stock shock he built. The luxury of his fancy expensive dyno machine is he can test and build a shock exactly the same over and over again, making small changes to yield the same damping curve. This will allow us to test the full benefit of the trax mechanism as well as the internal friction differences of using the trax (PDS) piston which is half the thickness of the standard linkage piston.

Dave guarantees me the standard shock is stock inside, no aftermarket pistons, rebound separator or other trickery are fitted, only difference is the shim stacks. Putting this into perspective, for the cost a revalve Dave got a stock shock working better than a factory shock (new $3k or so here), now the question remains is the trax mechanism noticeable enough to outlay the cost difference?

Stay tuned for round 2
Justin345
7/4/2017 3:07am
I'm about to find out, I have CV forks and a race tech re valved stock shock. Hopefully hit washougal old timers national this weekend. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/07/03/203271/s1200_52079927761_4C211626_DC95_45B5_9487_BD66B3999150.jpg[/img]

Be sure to post up a review for comparison!
ML512
Fantasy
36th
7/4/2017 7:57am
ML512 wrote:

Justin345 wrote:
At this minute, yes. I'm leaving in about 25 minutes to meet a guy to sell it though, haha.
Well..you could've put it on your KTM ha...

You just needed clamps, fork lugs and a shock clevis. The fork length and the PC kit shock body from the kawi are correct for the KTM.
urbanlift707
7/4/2017 9:43am
I'll be up at Washougal this weekend. Hit me up if you see me! KTM #205 carlinojoe@yahoo.com
Will do if I make it. It a 9 hour drive so I'm not committed yet, but I did it two years ago and it was so much fun!
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
7/4/2017 12:03pm
The stock suspension on 2017 KTM is sweet, fuck a new shock Tongue
Justin345
7/4/2017 4:53pm
ML512 wrote:
Well..you could've put it on your KTM ha... You just needed clamps, fork lugs and a shock clevis. The fork length and the PC kit shock...
Well..you could've put it on your KTM ha...

You just needed clamps, fork lugs and a shock clevis. The fork length and the PC kit shock body from the kawi are correct for the KTM.
Well isn't that just the most ideally timed tidbit of information I've ever received...Haha. That brings up another good question though. Since kawi A kit's are plentiful on the used market, would you say the Showa A kit shock would be a better match to the cone valve forks than the stock WP shock?
bowser
7/4/2017 5:08pm
I have pro circuit A kit on my other bike, the trax and revalved standard WP are much nicer than it. Saying that I'm not sure what valving is fitted to it as I haven't had it apart yet
Justin345
7/4/2017 5:26pm
bowser wrote:
I have pro circuit A kit on my other bike, the trax and revalved standard WP are much nicer than it. Saying that I'm not sure...
I have pro circuit A kit on my other bike, the trax and revalved standard WP are much nicer than it. Saying that I'm not sure what valving is fitted to it as I haven't had it apart yet
Sounds like an apples to oranges comparison if you don't know how the Showa kit is set up. Mine was amazing on the kawi, but I'm curious if it would have that same level of performance on a ktm...a platform that it wasn't really designed for. WP has put a ton of R&D $$ into making the suspension work with the ktm chassis.

That was an excellent write up on the Trax vs revalved stock unit by the way! Thanks for taking the time to write that.

Coincidentally, MXA just answered a question today and posted it to FB where someone asked if it's worth it to buy a Trax shock for a 2016 ktm. Their answer - no. In back to back testing they haven't noticed any performance gains over the stock shock.

Post a reply to: WP Trax shock

The Latest