WTH is with Coop?

davistld01
7/1/2017 4:05pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2017 7:50pm
What the hell happened...and is happening to Cooper Webb? I know he was part of the first turn mess in the first moto today...but what about the second moto? Cooper finished 38/37 for a shocking 38th overall finish.

Wow.

Can anybody shed some light on what went on? Cooper isn't performing at nearly the level he was hyped before the series began. Hell, a lot of folks thought he's be right up there with Tomac, Musquin, Anderson, Baggett and the boys. Apparently not. And, don't tell me it's the Yamaha.
|
7/1/2017 4:09pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2017 4:12pm
He went down pretty hard in that first moto, got launched off his bike onto the ground probably didn't even line up for the second one. Other than that I have no idea, I don't really believe it's the Yamaha either as he's done well on it before.

I would think at this point, even if it the bike is not the problem, he's probably just waiting for the 2018 which has probably taken him out of this a bit mentally.
davistld01
7/1/2017 7:06pm
He went down pretty hard in that first moto, got launched off his bike onto the ground probably didn't even line up for the second one...
He went down pretty hard in that first moto, got launched off his bike onto the ground probably didn't even line up for the second one. Other than that I have no idea, I don't really believe it's the Yamaha either as he's done well on it before.

I would think at this point, even if it the bike is not the problem, he's probably just waiting for the 2018 which has probably taken him out of this a bit mentally.
All I heard was about his first moto crash...and don't know if he sat out the second race or not. If he did because of being hurt in the first race, I totally understand, as I'm sure Yamaha does as well.

But...if an issue is his not riding because he's looking for the new bike...I'm sure Yamaha has issue with that.

7/1/2017 7:41pm
I didn't see Webb at all in the second moto. It took him a bit to get back up and on the bike. Wasn't able to see much of the start from where I was standing. I think he rode for about two laps before pulling off in moto 1
Cycle Sport
7/1/2017 7:47pm
DNS second moto. Live timing has 0 laps completed

The Shop

7/1/2017 10:00pm
He went down pretty hard in that first moto, got launched off his bike onto the ground probably didn't even line up for the second one...

davistld01 wrote:
All I heard was about his first moto crash...and don't know if he sat out the second race or not. If he did because of being...
All I heard was about his first moto crash...and don't know if he sat out the second race or not. If he did because of being hurt in the first race, I totally understand, as I'm sure Yamaha does as well.

But...if an issue is his not riding because he's looking for the new bike...I'm sure Yamaha has issue with that.

Well apparently Yamaha told him to ride a 125 a few weeks ago so I guess that's where they are at lol
colonel
7/2/2017 3:29am
Yamaha didnt do to bad a few weeks ago with a foreign rider on it....
IWreckALot
7/2/2017 4:56am
colonel wrote:
Funny how that works.
downard254
7/2/2017 4:58am
Old Coop hasn't shown anywhere near the speed to run up front outdoors yet has he. Seems like at Glen Helen he had a decent Moro, or was that Colorado. I know some were predicting maybe a win or two this season. It's starting to look a little like the rest of this season is near a write off and prep for 2018. I hope not, I'd like to see him get in the mix.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
2109th
7/2/2017 5:09am
Why don't we wait to hear from him what happened. I really hoping he isn't injured! Looked like he was in the top 3-5 at the start,
Johnny Depp
7/2/2017 5:46am
conspiracy alert, the blue farm animal thread and links to it have vanished..
Crush
7/2/2017 6:16am
colonel wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
Funny how that works.
You know what's interesting about that, they got that bike sorted very quickly here... Whatever the approach was, I've read multiple riders who ride for that team say the bike is very very good... Apart from that one year of Febvre, maybe the only team to have happy riders on that bike since 2010.

Interesting.
Monte122
7/2/2017 6:55am
I know he went down pretty hard in the first moto, and DNF.

Any news? I really hope he isn't injured.

I'd love to see him on the podium trash talking Baggett, he's pretty good at that.
colonel
7/2/2017 6:56am
colonel wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
Funny how that works.
Crush wrote:
You know what's interesting about that, they got that bike sorted very quickly here... Whatever the approach was, I've read multiple riders who ride for that...
You know what's interesting about that, they got that bike sorted very quickly here... Whatever the approach was, I've read multiple riders who ride for that team say the bike is very very good... Apart from that one year of Febvre, maybe the only team to have happy riders on that bike since 2010.

Interesting.
I don't believe its the bike, I never have. Not bashing Coop but why do others do really well on it? Garcia is basically the same on the RM vs the YZ no difference yet people say the bike was shit.

To me its how much testing is a rider doing and how much quality feedback is he supplying in order to make the changes needed. Or simply, is the riders just not doing anything on and off the bike of quality and getting the result warranted.

Tired of people blaming bikes for issues when others go very well on them. Coop des Nations shows its not a shit bike and was going to come out an deliver outdoors as per everyone on the boards and now and and and.
mxdude105
7/2/2017 6:57am
Adjusting to the pace of the 450 class and on the shittiest factory 450 no less. It's taking him some time to get things sorted.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
7/2/2017 7:06am Edited Date/Time 7/2/2017 7:07am
colonel wrote:
I don't believe its the bike, I never have. Not bashing Coop but why do others do really well on it? Garcia is basically the same...
I don't believe its the bike, I never have. Not bashing Coop but why do others do really well on it? Garcia is basically the same on the RM vs the YZ no difference yet people say the bike was shit.

To me its how much testing is a rider doing and how much quality feedback is he supplying in order to make the changes needed. Or simply, is the riders just not doing anything on and off the bike of quality and getting the result warranted.

Tired of people blaming bikes for issues when others go very well on them. Coop des Nations shows its not a shit bike and was going to come out an deliver outdoors as per everyone on the boards and now and and and.
Yeah, but one could argue that Sergio has had his best year ever. Finally winning a major, the Masters, nonetheless.
Crush
7/2/2017 7:14am
colonel wrote:
I don't believe its the bike, I never have. Not bashing Coop but why do others do really well on it? Garcia is basically the same...

kzizok wrote:
Yeah, but one could argue that Sergio has had his best year ever. Finally winning a major, the Masters, nonetheless.
hahaha...

I think one thing that gets lost in the "it's the bike" / "it's not the fucking bike" argument, is, it's not THE BIKE, but it's the riders COMFORT with the bike. RC and Reed talk about setup in terms of comfort. You hear Bagget saying the same right now.

You could argue, the way Barcia rides, point and shoot, rev the shit out of it, rely on the engine, he might be better on the Yamaha. He's not exactly a guy who's taking advantage of the Suzuki's cornering by running a gear high and going faster through turns. He never lets the bike do that.

Davi rode the Yamaha well, he's tall, lugs a bike, is strong so could correct it's weird bucks etc... James is super talented and super fucking aggressive... he held on to that thing for wins but it spit him off a lot also. Dean Ferris is a pretty smooth rider... and also motivated as hell to try for a life changing contract.

Coop has some of these things and some not goin on right now. I bet primary amongst any of his issues is he has ridden the '18 and is just waiting on that, whether it's better or not in the long run, who knows but if you're not doing great and you perceive a 1% difference, but you're getting paid, I bet he has a little of wait and see going on upstairs...
Gus
7/2/2017 7:30am
colonel wrote:

kzizok wrote:
Crush wrote:
hahaha... I think one thing that gets lost in the "it's the bike" / "it's not the fucking bike" argument, is, it's not THE BIKE, but...
hahaha...

I think one thing that gets lost in the "it's the bike" / "it's not the fucking bike" argument, is, it's not THE BIKE, but it's the riders COMFORT with the bike. RC and Reed talk about setup in terms of comfort. You hear Bagget saying the same right now.

You could argue, the way Barcia rides, point and shoot, rev the shit out of it, rely on the engine, he might be better on the Yamaha. He's not exactly a guy who's taking advantage of the Suzuki's cornering by running a gear high and going faster through turns. He never lets the bike do that.

Davi rode the Yamaha well, he's tall, lugs a bike, is strong so could correct it's weird bucks etc... James is super talented and super fucking aggressive... he held on to that thing for wins but it spit him off a lot also. Dean Ferris is a pretty smooth rider... and also motivated as hell to try for a life changing contract.

Coop has some of these things and some not goin on right now. I bet primary amongst any of his issues is he has ridden the '18 and is just waiting on that, whether it's better or not in the long run, who knows but if you're not doing great and you perceive a 1% difference, but you're getting paid, I bet he has a little of wait and see going on upstairs...
Crush... as a huge Webb fan, I believe you've hit the nail on the head.

Webb is a young dude. If I'm a 20 yr. old millionaire living on the lake cruising in a Xstar on my days off, not having the year I want and get a taste of the next big thing ... I'm gonna be ready for next big thing. In medicine we call this a placebo and preception is reality. If he preceives that 18 to be his answer then that's his reality. I believe what you say about comfort. Tomac said the same for his Kawi this year.
tp4
7/2/2017 7:34am
simple ..he tucked the front end in the soft first corner and ate Shi-!
305FC250
7/2/2017 7:38am
There can only be 3 riders on the podium and theres a lot of really fast guys out there... I expected him to do a little better but majority of these "whats up with ...." threads that are being made all the time are silly.
H4L
7/2/2017 7:59am
305FC250 wrote:
There can only be 3 riders on the podium and theres a lot of really fast guys out there... I expected him to do a little...
There can only be 3 riders on the podium and theres a lot of really fast guys out there... I expected him to do a little better but majority of these "whats up with ...." threads that are being made all the time are silly.
Agree. He's over matched right now with the intensity of the 450 class & is probably a top 10 rider at best. Which is where his results mostly been since moving to the big boy class. I think the kid was over hyped moving up & felt it was going to take some time to adjust on the bigger bike.
SwingHard
7/2/2017 8:09am
Weird,once he got that contract locked up,the bike stopped working for him
machine
7/2/2017 8:19am
All of you talking about how hes not fast enough better think again, remember, he has beat Musquin and Herlings before. Nothing more needs to be said about that. He's got the speed if he can get comfy, if that takes a new bike or a new brand of bike, then so be it. I'm not counting him out.
kage173
7/2/2017 8:42am
Crush wrote:
hahaha... I think one thing that gets lost in the "it's the bike" / "it's not the fucking bike" argument, is, it's not THE BIKE, but...
hahaha...

Yeah, I don't know. I do agree with you about comfort on a bike, but we have already seen Cooper ride the 450 and he looked fine. He gave Fabvre hell in the U.S. and in Europe. And they were both on blue bikes. So I don't see how that turns into a lack of comfort.

I think it's more of the rookie deal and maybe he has some things going on. It may be the 'waiting on the '18', but if so then that is on him. He's a professional racer and he shouldn't be sitting around waiting for next year's bike.
Crush
7/2/2017 8:48am
kage173 wrote:
Yeah, I don't know. I do agree with you about comfort on a bike, but we have already seen Cooper ride the 450 and he looked...
Yeah, I don't know. I do agree with you about comfort on a bike, but we have already seen Cooper ride the 450 and he looked fine. He gave Fabvre hell in the U.S. and in Europe. And they were both on blue bikes. So I don't see how that turns into a lack of comfort.

I think it's more of the rookie deal and maybe he has some things going on. It may be the 'waiting on the '18', but if so then that is on him. He's a professional racer and he shouldn't be sitting around waiting for next year's bike.
Different tracks tho. That's where comfort comes in to it.

Reed seemed happy with his bike on slick stuff, Coop in ruts. Results backed that up.

Coop did well on the 450 outdoors at Glen Helen and then basically harder pack... most of the nationals are balance beam ruts... which I bet isn't fun on a bike you don't love the handling of.

Having said that, I bet more of it is he's waiting on the 18. I would!
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
7/2/2017 9:02am
colonel wrote:

kzizok wrote:
Crush wrote:
hahaha...

That is basically what I said in the blue pig thread. Someone said it took Tomac a while to gel with his Kawi. That is a rider issue, much like what I think is happening with Coop.

BTW, anyone know what happened with the blue pig thread? Someone post something that I missed?
7/2/2017 9:37am
All I know is that when I talked to him yesterday I asked him "Are you ready to get on that 18?" his direct reply was "You have no idea I cant wait' He wasnt sarcastic or anything. I always pictured him as a whiny little D Bag but he seemed much more normal/genuine than I expected. He kept his left hand under the table and was only using his right hand.

They even had a 2018 right behind him just trolling everyone.

mattmatt300
7/2/2017 12:47pm
My theory is that he's similar to JS7. What he wants out of the bike isn't feasible so the more they chase setup the worse it gets. That's why he did better on it early on.
omalley
7/2/2017 1:16pm
My theory is that he's similar to JS7. What he wants out of the bike isn't feasible so the more they chase setup the worse it...
My theory is that he's similar to JS7. What he wants out of the bike isn't feasible so the more they chase setup the worse it gets. That's why he did better on it early on.
Either that or Reed f-ed up their settings for anyone but himself...
drt410
7/2/2017 1:36pm
^ stew said that in an interview when he went to the yamaha that reed helped develop the bike a lot to get it to where it was a good bike but it was tailored to his riding style and didnt really work for anyone else.
FIREfish148
7/2/2017 1:58pm
Well he did have one of the gnarliest get offs I've seen all year in the first moto. He's a gamer, only a matter of time till he's back up there.

Post a reply to: WTH is with Coop?

The Latest