Washing your bike at the track.

Beeler341
8/24/2017 5:01am Edited Date/Time 8/27/2017 6:25am
What's everybodies set up they use to get there bikes washed at the track? 95% of the tracks I go to don't have a direct line you can run off of. I'm just looking for some ideas and how other people are getting the job done!
|
8/24/2017 5:03am
Buy a water tank at Rural King and hook your pressure washer up to it.
8/24/2017 5:05am
55 gallon blue plastic barrel into my pressure washer. I used to have a 55 gallon drum mounted on the tongue with bulkhead fittings in the side so I had options to feed off either side depending on the circumstances.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
1835th
8/24/2017 6:52am Edited Date/Time 8/24/2017 5:47pm
In my mind it's non sense for a track not to have some kind of wash area. Although I've never seen one like this.
1. It's an added bonus to the customer
2. The water can drained from the wash bay to a tank and used on the track so it's no extra cost to the track owner. Also depending on your water tank and wash area it would collect rain water too.
3. You can scrape up the washed off dirt and reduce your track erosion.

Simple washing area on concrete pad with a drain. Don't charge to use it water. People bring their own pressure washers or just use the hose. If you are looking for something to charge for you can do soap or bike cleaner packs at the concession stand or something.
rpoint116
8/24/2017 7:05am
In my mind it's non sense for a track not to have some kind of wash area. Although I've never seen one like this. 1. It's...
In my mind it's non sense for a track not to have some kind of wash area. Although I've never seen one like this.
2. The water can drained from the wash bay to a tank and used on the track so it's no extra cost to the track owner. Also depending on your water tank and wash area it would collect rain water too.

Simple washing area on concrete pad with a drain. Don't charge to use it water. People bring their own pressure washers or just use the hose. If you are looking for something to charge for you can do soap or bike cleaner packs at the concession stand or something.
1000% disagree.

Too much hassle, cost, and maintenance. Running a track is hard enough as it is.

The Shop

oceantrav
8/24/2017 7:12am
I'm getting ready to buy this 46 gallon tank off Amazon for $70 and put it behind my seat in my Motovan. Then getting this 2800psi ryobi pressure washer from Home Depot for $300.

Ryno23
Fantasy
779th
8/24/2017 7:20am
In my mind it's non sense for a track not to have some kind of wash area. Although I've never seen one like this. 1. It's...

rpoint116 wrote:
1000% disagree.

Too much hassle, cost, and maintenance. Running a track is hard enough as it is.
No shit. Has anyone here ever had experience with a water reclamation system for a wash area? I do. 2 words... F@#$ THAT!!!
c0ncEpT
8/24/2017 7:24am
A 35 gallon tank will wash 3.5 bikes in normal conditions. If its muddy you might only be able to was 1.5-2 with 35 gallons.
8/24/2017 7:30am
I have 2 200 litre water butts that collect rain water. I then fill up 25 litre drums, I have 7 of them, & take them to the track. My pressure washer sucks straight from the drum. Fortunately one of the tracks I go to has running water so I don't have to take as many drums with me.
Jake_CR250R
8/24/2017 8:44am
oceantrav wrote:
I'm getting ready to buy this 46 gallon tank off Amazon for $70 and put it behind my seat in my Motovan. Then getting this 2800psi...
I'm getting ready to buy this 46 gallon tank off Amazon for $70 and put it behind my seat in my Motovan. Then getting this 2800psi ryobi pressure washer from Home Depot for $300.

You're probably going to need a pump the keep enough pressure in the line between the tank and power washer.
8/24/2017 8:46am

My locat track has a little area you can pay and wash your bike. A lot of people use it as well especially on race days
mxtech1
8/24/2017 8:46am
Some pressure washers have pressure check valves in the input circuit. When connected to a normal garden hose, the water pressure opens that valve and allows water to flow through.

When connected to a water tank, you will have little input pressure at the end of the line. I have seen some pressure washers with this pressure valve that will not flow water on a non-pressurized supply line.

If your pressure washer has the pressure valve, you will need to open up the pump circuit and remove the pressure valve mechanism. This then allows the pressure washer to work on little/no pressure in the input line.
oceantrav
8/24/2017 8:57am
mxtech1 wrote:
Some pressure washers have pressure check valves in the input circuit. When connected to a normal garden hose, the water pressure opens that valve and allows...
Some pressure washers have pressure check valves in the input circuit. When connected to a normal garden hose, the water pressure opens that valve and allows water to flow through.

When connected to a water tank, you will have little input pressure at the end of the line. I have seen some pressure washers with this pressure valve that will not flow water on a non-pressurized supply line.

If your pressure washer has the pressure valve, you will need to open up the pump circuit and remove the pressure valve mechanism. This then allows the pressure washer to work on little/no pressure in the input line.
Do you know which Home Depot pressure washers come ready to rock n roll?
8/24/2017 9:04am

rpoint116 wrote:
1000% disagree.

Ryno23 wrote:
No shit. Has anyone here ever had experience with a water reclamation system for a wash area? I do. 2 words... F@#$ THAT!!!
Yea, it's a pain in the ass. This guy obviously has no idea and on top of it he thinks it should be free. Oh just scrape the dirt up and use it on the track. Funny.
friday10
8/24/2017 9:22am

rpoint116 wrote:
1000% disagree.

Right!!! Maybe he could have the track operator wash his bike for him too!
mx317
8/24/2017 9:34am
I don't know about all of you, but it pisses me off to have someone washing their bike and letting their water run through my pit area. Or if you are riding to the gate and have your goggles sprayed before you get there by some mini dad making sure Jr. has a clean bike (with most often a wet air filter). You can do more harm than good washing your bike four times a weekend.
Myke
Fantasy
2861st
8/24/2017 9:39am
Milestone has a pay bike wash area. I think it's $1.00 a minute.
Bultaco
8/24/2017 9:45am
Dang...

Used to be a pro in Kansas (long time ago) that did not even wash his bikes between races, let alone between motos. He was still plenty quick.

Sounds like modern racers have Howard Hughes Syndrome. ;-)
KirkChandler
Fantasy
357th
8/24/2017 11:00am
We were going to put a legit concrete wash bays set up with a dirt trap to put the dirt back on the tracks, and then the EPA said all the dirt that came off the bike is "contaminated" because of the chain lube, oil residue and possible fuel over flow and that we were going to have to pay to dispose of the "contaminated" dirt.
Motoxdoc
8/24/2017 11:08am
Beeler341 wrote:
What's everybodies set up they use to get there bikes washed at the track? 95% of the tracks I go to don't have a direct line...
What's everybodies set up they use to get there bikes washed at the track? 95% of the tracks I go to don't have a direct line you can run off of. I'm just looking for some ideas and how other people are getting the job done!
Wash and detail at home....no need to go all factory mechanic between motos. Bucket of water and a sponge. All you need to do at the track is clean your number plates and some of the larger surfaces like fenders and swingarm. .
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
8/24/2017 11:12am
I never wash my bike at the track. Front numberplate with a bottle of water and a rag if necessary, that's it.
oceantrav
8/24/2017 11:32am
Ya, I think it's funny the people that wash between motos, especially when it's not even real muddy. Little junior ain't gonna do any better lol

I want to start washing my bikes at the track just so I don't have to do it when I get home, not between motos.

When I'm waiting for the results for my kid so he can get his sweet 5th place trophy, I could easily hit his bike with a pressure washer and that's one less thing to worry about at the house. Plus mud on the driveway at the HOA I live in is of concern.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
8/24/2017 11:54am Edited Date/Time 8/24/2017 11:55am
Scrape the mud off after practice and go race. Some of these guys spend more time trying to look fast than learning how to ride fast. This is all you need on race day.

mx317
8/24/2017 12:09pm

Yep, I still use one of these.
r.sal923
8/24/2017 2:06pm
mx317 wrote:
[img]https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/U4YAAOSwOtdYTah8/$_58.JPG[/img] Yep, I still use one of these.

Yep, I still use one of these.
I just have a egg flipper in my tool box. 2 buck, it has been 15+ years of use
305FC250
8/24/2017 2:09pm

rpoint116 wrote:
1000% disagree.

I don't know all the details but almost all the tracks I've been to in Florida have an area with a hose where I can hook my pressure washer up to... Doesn't seem like theres much involved with it.
Radical
Fantasy
2321st
8/24/2017 2:20pm
I live in a condo now and the HOA doesn't allow any washing of vehicles, let alone mud running down the gutter.

So I appreciate the bike wash at Perris raceway. It would be even better if it was free, but I don't mind paying $4 to head home with a clean bike.

I use a mix of about 20% Simple Green in a small pressurizable spray bottle you can get anywhere. I spray down all the really mucky stuff on the bike, then start up the pressure washer, and it all comes clean.

It would be great if Pala could add the same setup or leave a water hookup, and I'll bring my own power washer.
8/24/2017 3:36pm Edited Date/Time 8/24/2017 3:37pm
We were going to put a legit concrete wash bays set up with a dirt trap to put the dirt back on the tracks, and then...
We were going to put a legit concrete wash bays set up with a dirt trap to put the dirt back on the tracks, and then the EPA said all the dirt that came off the bike is "contaminated" because of the chain lube, oil residue and possible fuel over flow and that we were going to have to pay to dispose of the "contaminated" dirt.
THIS^^

I work in the construction equipment industry, and the dealerships/rental yards have to do this to be fully compliant. Pay big money to dispose of what the average moto guy would consider perfectly good dirt, because it's "contiminated" once it's been washed off of a machine.
PFitzG38
8/24/2017 3:50pm
Why bother? Who has the energy and time to wash your bike properly after 2 motos at the track, unless your a mini parent and didn't race - just wait till you get home. My 2c.

That being said I saw my buddy using the track firehose to get the job done last week right next to the track
aeffertz
8/24/2017 3:59pm
Three 55 gallon plastic barrels filled a week before so the water is nice and warm so showering down after the race isn't freezing cold and a pressure washer. Enough water to wash the bikes after practices and between motos and at the end of the day.

Much easier to just clean them right then and there then unloading the trailer and setting up the wash once home to wash them all and load them back up.
rpoint116
8/24/2017 5:34pm Edited Date/Time 8/24/2017 5:34pm
Bultaco wrote:
Dang... Used to be a pro in Kansas (long time ago) that did not even wash his bikes between races, let alone between motos. He was...
Dang...

Used to be a pro in Kansas (long time ago) that did not even wash his bikes between races, let alone between motos. He was still plenty quick.

Sounds like modern racers have Howard Hughes Syndrome. ;-)
Where did you ride at and what year's?

Post a reply to: Washing your bike at the track.

The Latest