Washougal is underrated

lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
7/28/2019 5:21pm
Washougal has never been underrated, Its been one of the premier tracks for as long as I can remember. And like others have said it tricky because it has a little loam on the top but its slick city just underneath but awesome to race on. Cool
tcallahan707
7/28/2019 5:25pm
Unpopular opinion...

For better or worse, Washougal makes for great racing simply because it's so hard to pass (unless your name is Tomac in alien mode).

Also, those whoops are skimmable. This was the first year that I didn't witness guys doing it. Usually some will triple triple skim or some variation.
CR92
7/28/2019 5:45pm
Ozy wrote:
The whoop section is mis-named, these were not whoops, it was a small rhythm section. nobody would have pinned it over them like a traditional whoop...
The whoop section is mis-named, these were not whoops, it was a small rhythm section. nobody would have pinned it over them like a traditional whoop section
cwtoyota wrote:
Well, it's not the most consistent way for a 30+2 race, but those whoops can be blitzed. The fella who runs the track is a retired...
Well, it's not the most consistent way for a 30+2 race, but those whoops can be blitzed.

The fella who runs the track is a retired pro in his 40's (Huffman). I promise you that 40-something year old man can still go out there and blitz them like a set of supercross whoops in 5th gear. Anyone who races there on the weekends will tell you the same.

Trouble is, it takes so much energy to blitz that it's just a better race strategy to triple through when they're built up for the national. This was one of those years the guys built them up fresh and extra large.

It's one of the most challenging and iconic parts of that track, I hope they keep it around forever.
Going off what you said last, I really do hope they keep the track around.
I live in the Portland area and have a friend who lives down the street from washougal, and man have people been trying to shut the track down recently.
People are complaining about the noise and other crap, even though they just moved out there. Bunch of city la/Portland/hipster types who move out there to "play country" and end up doing this stupid crap.
dkg
7/28/2019 6:26pm
Yesterday was an excellent event. Really enjoyed the track and venue. Good crowd. Good racing. Good for spectators. Well attended.

And yes, RV still has it:

The Shop

aeffertz
7/28/2019 6:36pm
Washougal is constantly named one of the best tracks on the circuit. I don't see how you can say it's underrated.
7/28/2019 6:36pm
Yesterday was my first visit to Washougal. I’m a Michigan native, so Red Bud runs in my blood, but Washougal was so good. We walked about half the track after the races, and it wasn’t anywhere near as rough, but obviously has it’s own challenges. Tv and gopro’s do no justice at all for how steep Horsepower Hill or a few other sections are, or how big that hit into the sand is (it’s BIG). I had a great time and definitely can’t wait to ride it myself now... I’m leaning towards the 150SX here.
Crush
7/28/2019 6:48pm
aeffertz wrote:
Washougal is constantly named one of the best tracks on the circuit. I don't see how you can say it's underrated.
Because in this conversation you would typically hear about the track or factors not related to the racing: it’s beautiful up there, the pros hate the track... where as every pro loves red bud and the weekend even tho it often ends up being one lined and not that great racing.

The difficulty of the track has produced a lot of good racing in washougal. Lots of tense Motos as they fight for an inch here or there.
Hammer 663s
7/29/2019 9:17am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
It is a great track. What's with everyone jumping through the whoops nowadays though ?
They really built them big for the race. I saw Barcia try to skim them in practice and, due to the mist, they were super-slick and he almost ate it at the end. I didn't see anyone else try to skim them at all, but I didn't stand there all day. Triple, triple, quad, quad and out was definitely the best way. I'm happy when I make it through them all double double and don't die. Smile

I'm local and ride it every chance I get, and that's the loamiest I've ever seen Washougal. It's usually just ripped clay over a very hard base, and it starts wet slick and moves quickly through good to dry slick bluegroove. Due to all the new dirt (clay) and sawdust/woodchips they added, plus the cool misty start to the day yesterday (sun didn't come out until about 2 PM) once it came in it stayed soft and tacky all day. I cannot wait to ride it now. I way prefer tacky clay loam to dry slick blue groove.

Hammer 663s
DE262
7/29/2019 10:29am
They really built them big for the race. I saw Barcia try to skim them in practice and, due to the mist, they were super-slick and...
They really built them big for the race. I saw Barcia try to skim them in practice and, due to the mist, they were super-slick and he almost ate it at the end. I didn't see anyone else try to skim them at all, but I didn't stand there all day. Triple, triple, quad, quad and out was definitely the best way. I'm happy when I make it through them all double double and don't die. Smile

I'm local and ride it every chance I get, and that's the loamiest I've ever seen Washougal. It's usually just ripped clay over a very hard base, and it starts wet slick and moves quickly through good to dry slick bluegroove. Due to all the new dirt (clay) and sawdust/woodchips they added, plus the cool misty start to the day yesterday (sun didn't come out until about 2 PM) once it came in it stayed soft and tacky all day. I cannot wait to ride it now. I way prefer tacky clay loam to dry slick blue groove.

Hammer 663s
We put a ton of new material onto the track- if you notice how much higher the dirt level is now compared to before in relation to the grass around the track. The whole track is filled in and level with the grass- literally about a foot taller throughout, and more in certain sections. Grass and wood chips have been mixed in as well in certain areas that needed it. Trees were taken out in the woods section to help improve these evil shadows that everybody (GLCool ) seems to get hung up on.
The added topsoil has greatly improved overall traction on the entire track- as everything gets mixed in and settles, it's only going to get better.
The track crew up here are all racers, and understand how the dirt, water, and weather affect track conditions better than anybody. It's been very dry around here as of late, so the track had to be a bit moist in the morning on raceday. As is with any outdoor national track- and I have been to them all. I always paid close attention to prep methods at other tracks to see how things play out in different climates and surface mediums.
As the first motos dropped, the track came in as close to perfect as you can expect. There were very few notes of traction issues after the first moto- something that we are all very proud of. The conditions provided more lines than we've ever seen here at Washougal, and some of the best racing as a direct result. Post race chatter was all positive- from the crowd and in the paddock. Win-win situation for ProMotocross.
Also, the whoops were huge.

We're all pumped for the rest of the season up here in the PNW, and the 125 DreamRace should be all-time with the new layouts and beautiful conditions.

Plus the restrooms are all remodeled.

And we have palm trees now too.
7/29/2019 11:04am
rolandk wrote:
As an old slow poke, that track is 10X harder to ride IRL than it looks. Slick as ice in the shade, hard pack in the...
As an old slow poke, that track is 10X harder to ride IRL than it looks. Slick as ice in the shade, hard pack in the sun, massive ruts and bumps everywhere, and getting pelted with rocks up horsepower hill. I did a school there once after an event with no track prep and thought I was gonna die. Mucho respect for anyone who can go fast there.
racerxx276 wrote:
+1 If you have ever ridden the track you would know it's sooo slippery. The track LOOKS like it has traction, but it rewards anyone that...
+1

If you have ever ridden the track you would know it's sooo slippery. The track LOOKS like it has traction, but it rewards anyone that knows what throttle control is. There's a very fine line between going fast and crashing your brains out...
It was interesting listening to Roczen come out of the rutted corner (second one after horsepower hill) and section before the downhill - you could barely hear his bike as it seemed like he was just lugging it through that section to get traction but he was still flying there.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
7/29/2019 11:09am
Underrated by who?
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
7/29/2019 11:27am
GuyB wrote:
Underrated by who?
Crush, you know, someone who has never even been there. Whistling
Hammer 663s
7/29/2019 12:40pm
DE262 wrote:
We put a ton of new material onto the track- if you notice how much higher the dirt level is now compared to before in relation...
We put a ton of new material onto the track- if you notice how much higher the dirt level is now compared to before in relation to the grass around the track. The whole track is filled in and level with the grass- literally about a foot taller throughout, and more in certain sections. Grass and wood chips have been mixed in as well in certain areas that needed it. Trees were taken out in the woods section to help improve these evil shadows that everybody (GLCool ) seems to get hung up on.
The added topsoil has greatly improved overall traction on the entire track- as everything gets mixed in and settles, it's only going to get better.
The track crew up here are all racers, and understand how the dirt, water, and weather affect track conditions better than anybody. It's been very dry around here as of late, so the track had to be a bit moist in the morning on raceday. As is with any outdoor national track- and I have been to them all. I always paid close attention to prep methods at other tracks to see how things play out in different climates and surface mediums.
As the first motos dropped, the track came in as close to perfect as you can expect. There were very few notes of traction issues after the first moto- something that we are all very proud of. The conditions provided more lines than we've ever seen here at Washougal, and some of the best racing as a direct result. Post race chatter was all positive- from the crowd and in the paddock. Win-win situation for ProMotocross.
Also, the whoops were huge.

We're all pumped for the rest of the season up here in the PNW, and the 125 DreamRace should be all-time with the new layouts and beautiful conditions.

Plus the restrooms are all remodeled.

And we have palm trees now too.
I made sure to tell all of the track guys I talked to how good a job you'd done on prep. That's the first thing me and my boys noticed - how down in the catcher's mitt everything was full to the brim - that whole area was 2'+ deep just a few weeks ago! How soft and loamy it all looked. We were drooling over it all day.

Need to have a public practice day SOON! I want me some of that cake.

Hammer 663s
IanMac138
7/29/2019 12:46pm
I'm lucky enough to live in Portland and get to ride Shoug fairly often. It really is an incredible track. It can beat the living crap out of you if you aren't able to flow very well and look at it as one big circuit instead of 30 different corners and obstacles. The beauty of the track is incredible too and there is nothing like ripping up those massive hills on a 2 smoker and hearing the sound echo off the surrounding landscape and trees. Highly recommend anyone that's ever wanted to ride it or go see the National to go do so. Worth the trip.
wildbill
7/29/2019 12:57pm
I've always wanted the Dez Nations to be at shougie. Purely selfish, mind you.
O&GDriller
7/29/2019 1:16pm
The Shoug whoops look a lot like Loretta's 10 Commandments?
Evoracer
7/29/2019 2:06pm
If you're old, race the Oldtimers' event there every July 4th weekend. Washougal is a blast!
mx510
Fantasy
1861st
7/29/2019 3:10pm
Unpopular opinion... For better or worse, Washougal makes for great racing simply because it's so hard to pass (unless your name is Tomac in alien mode)...
Unpopular opinion...

For better or worse, Washougal makes for great racing simply because it's so hard to pass (unless your name is Tomac in alien mode).

Also, those whoops are skimmable. This was the first year that I didn't witness guys doing it. Usually some will triple triple skim or some variation.
I raced on Thursday and have raced every year since 1994. These were the biggest that I can ever remember. I usually have no problem hopping through them 2 or 3 at a time (usually 2) this year they were so steep and big it was crazy. The whoops were WAY different this year.
motomike137
7/29/2019 5:18pm
Yesterday was my first visit to Washougal. I’m a Michigan native, so Red Bud runs in my blood, but Washougal was so good. We walked about...
Yesterday was my first visit to Washougal. I’m a Michigan native, so Red Bud runs in my blood, but Washougal was so good. We walked about half the track after the races, and it wasn’t anywhere near as rough, but obviously has it’s own challenges. Tv and gopro’s do no justice at all for how steep Horsepower Hill or a few other sections are, or how big that hit into the sand is (it’s BIG). I had a great time and definitely can’t wait to ride it myself now... I’m leaning towards the 150SX here.
I've been to Red Bud for almost every pro race ever run there and I love the place. I've been to many other Nationals also but one trip to Washougal won me over. It is my favorite.
racerxx276
7/29/2019 5:32pm
You can't blitz whoops with outdoor suspension. Anymore than you can ride outdoors with SX suspension...

Just saying...
Crush
7/29/2019 5:42pm
GuyB wrote:
Underrated by who?
lostboy819 wrote:
Crush, you know, someone who has never even been there. Whistling
All the riders talk about Washougal like "yeah the trees pacific north west are beautiful, but the dirt and shadows and traction... it's not my favourite track..."

My point being, despite those factors, it almost always produces good racing... whereas everyone blows Red Bud year after year and sure it looks like a cool weekend but it can be follow the leader with it's slot-car ness...

But what the fuck do I know, I guess you can't have an opinion on a track unless you've been there, except the 50 odd people who also liked the post.
Crush
7/29/2019 8:29pm
Well I guess you spend so much time riding you don't listen to a single rider interview, because there's literally been loads over the years discussing the lack of traction and it not being a favourite... whereas Red Bud, Millville, Wick and Budds all got lots of love from the riders..

Spout off. Go fuck yourself buddy. It's a forum. What do you think it's for.

IanMac138
7/29/2019 9:45pm
Yesterday was my first visit to Washougal. I’m a Michigan native, so Red Bud runs in my blood, but Washougal was so good. We walked about...
I ride a '19 150SX here and it's SO fun. Especially up Horsepower hill, just screaming the bike wide open. On July 5th, I had the privilege of taking a limited rider training class with local pro Tommy Weeck, and after 15 times up the hill (we were practicing going up the hill and making that corner after the g-out into a smooth arch) he pulled me aside and said "Dude, your bike sounds so sick up that hill!". Made me so stoked to keep going harder and learn more. Nothing like riding Washougal on a prepped 125 or 150. Get it!
wildbill
7/30/2019 12:14am
138, my first time racing there was in 97 and they ran the track backwards that day. Launching off the top of the hill made for some weightless moments in air. Big fun!
7/30/2019 12:34am
If you talk to any of the locals in town, this was the biggest weekend of the year for their town in terms of outside money coming in and being spent in town. My gf and I alone spent $100+ at the Safeway there. I don't see the track closing anytime soon over noise. that community needs the national
wildbill
8/5/2019 9:21pm
Crush wrote:
Bet it’s a killer track to walk after the race and look at the lines too. Was always my favorite thing to do, pros and their...
Bet it’s a killer track to walk after the race and look at the lines too. Was always my favorite thing to do, pros and their lines, how fucked a track gets and you see what they are dealing with is epic
You don't even have to cross the fence. F1 lines baby.

Post a reply to: Washougal is underrated

The Latest