btn
btn
1 of 2
Related:
Create New Tag
10000hrs 10000hrs
2/20/2018 6:32 PM

... it stuck out to me how they were trying to challange the racers. One turn around the outside of little knob so most of the corner was off camber, as well pre corner jumps, post corner jumps etc. It just struck me how different it was to the design of current outdoor tracks. Never see an off camber trun now. Just wondering if anybody else thought the same thing. My favorite memories are watching Hannah hit the wall, the uphill right (after were James landed on Ricky at unadilla) before it go smoothed out.

Not the classic pic Trans Am I was looking for but still, you would never see this in current mx.

Photo

Avoiding JS7 threads since 3/7/17.

rmoto003 rmoto003
2/20/2018 7:17 PM

Have u ever heard of budds creek brah

GuyB GuyB
2/20/2018 7:40 PM
rmoto003 wrote:

Have u ever heard of budds ...more

Or RedBud. Or Unadilla.

RandyS RandyS
2/20/2018 7:51 PM

Riders today would kill themselves at Sears Point. Way too fast for a track like that.

backinthesaddleagain backinthesaddleagain
2/20/2018 8:05 PM

great pic

10000hrs 10000hrs
2/20/2018 8:12 PM
rmoto003 wrote:

GuyB wrote:

Or RedBud. Or Unadilla.

While I have have no personal experience with red bud, undalilla, as mentioned above, would be my number one example of the pussification of US tracks with “ flow “ designs.

The corner mentioned above was a joy to watch when Hannah hit it.
Today, everbody clears it, ot if they dont, it irelavant. Boring.

tobz tobz
2/20/2018 8:35 PM

Uh yeah, pussys these days.
Not as good as the old days.
Bikes were shitter, tracks were shitter.
Men were men.
Yada yada, get off my lawn, damn kids.

10000hrs 10000hrs
2/20/2018 9:13 PM
tobz wrote:

Uh yeah, pussys these ...more

uh yeah, pussies these days want paved tracks
250 lbs bikes rock, rail the outside on the limiter
Bike and Tracks requiring subtlety and nuance are relagated to Jurassic Park
Vitards with a narrow range of experience are still idiots
Yada, yada, I got blisters.

TriRacer27 TriRacer27
2/20/2018 9:20 PM

I do miss having some vatiety in the soil. Every ttack doesn't have to be perfectly groomed.

rob162 rob162
2/20/2018 11:09 PM
rmoto003 wrote:

GuyB wrote:

Or RedBud. Or Unadilla.

Red buds my home national. The Track has no off cambers. But the entire rest of the facility is one giant of camber!!! That proably what your thinking. Your spending all day walking sideways to snap photos.

danzig138 danzig138
2/21/2018 12:02 AM

Where the hell is this vote up/down forum system??

Stuntman949 Stuntman949
2/21/2018 7:38 AM

Glen Helen National- 2015 I wanna say? Awesomely steep, rutted step up to corner. So fun to watch the pro's do it, glad I didn't have toPhoto

Photo

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

ThatOneKid ThatOneKid
2/21/2018 12:02 PM
rob162 wrote:

Red buds my home national. ...more

Red Buds my home national, the track HAS a well known off camber......less than it used to but certainly still has one in the pro section.

I'm not an actual kid
Red Bud Vet Fest 2020: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gpxS0KgQFc

District 14
2017 KTM 150

R.I.P. Steel City

zehn zehn
2/21/2018 12:04 PM
Stuntman949 wrote:

Glen Helen National- 2015 ...more

Tomac's lines in that corner were insane.

zehn zehn
2/21/2018 12:06 PM
rob162 wrote:

Red buds my home national. ...more

are you trolling m8

MotoX85 MotoX85
2/21/2018 4:19 PM

Well I'm an old guy and have been riding for over 40 years and I completely disagree. The breaking bumps from bike speeds are humungous these days compared to the old days. Tracks were just unprepped and hard packed and were rough everywhere but not to the size nowadays. Plenty of tracks have off chambers and I guess you've only seen Mt Martin on TV. Hill is so steep you can almost stick your hand out while standing up and touch the ground.

Come ride Red Bud with 3 ft tall breaking bumps and tell me the tracks were rougher back then, horseshit. Millville is a beast also.

SCR SCR
2/21/2018 4:36 PM
Stuntman949 wrote:

I was there. That was a great section. Tomac and Dungey were hitting the kicker part way up and floating to the apex of the corner. A few times Tomac rotated 90 deg in the air landed at the apex on the throttle.
Watching some of the other 40 best racers in the country struggle to just navigate that hill many laps makes you realize how insanely talented the top handful of guys really are..

mattyhamz2 mattyhamz2
2/21/2018 4:49 PM
MotoX85 wrote:

Well I'm an old guy and ...more

my dad went back to red bud in 2015 and 2016 to watch the national and race Friday before. 2015 his set up was so far off because we have fast hard pack crap for the most part. His suspension was so off it wasn't even funny. For 2016 he had enzo set his suspension up for red bud and made the haul for his second time and he couldn't believe the difference. He had so much fun both years and was so excited to ride a track that actually got ruts and huge breaking bumps! He loves riding, but hates riding the tracks we have here because there are mostly no ruts or bumps(compared to red bud) and are super fast. He cant wait for his next trip back there.

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hamdaddyof2 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

tobz tobz
2/21/2018 5:32 PM
Stuntman949 wrote:

Na they're pussys with all that suspension travel mate.

Kx125rider Kx125rider
2/21/2018 6:25 PM

Track design has evolved with bikes and riders.

acres951 acres951
2/21/2018 6:37 PM

LIke the comparison to ski racing though.

Maybe it’s not about old vs new but more about making a track layout that purposely breaks the flow. Some more awkward sections that challenge them to find a groove and best line.

oldblood oldblood
2/21/2018 7:10 PM

This thread makes me miss the nationals.

"If you are going through HELL, keep going."-Winston Churchill
"A man needs a little madness or else he never dares cut the rope and be free"-Zorba
Blur the technicolor

10000hrs 10000hrs
2/21/2018 7:11 PM
acres951 wrote:

LIke the comparison to ski ...more

Agreed. Flow breakers. When is last time you saw grass on a track? Usually, it is bulldozed uniformly left to right.

Photo

Photo

oldblood oldblood
2/21/2018 7:13 PM

Rather than bashing the op ,or comparing generations, I appreciate the topic of gnarly natural terrain tracks.
I think the current tracks are great, but also like what the op noticed about the ski coarse.

"A man needs a little madness or else he never dares cut the rope and be free"-Zorba
Blur the technicolor

oldblood oldblood
2/21/2018 7:16 PM

I think the current racers would enjoy an older coarse, like Hollister Hills USGP.
It would be cool to see some pics of that and other old gnarly tracks.

Blur the technicolor

731chopper 731chopper
2/21/2018 7:23 PM

I would love to see some natural terrain and sections thats technically challenge the riders outside of big jumps on our National tracks. The tracks have all gotten too damn similar and more emphasis seems to be put on air time and "flow" rather than obstacles and sections that demonstrate a variety of skill of the riders.

I was really sad when Glen Helen didn't bring that section referenced above back.

oldblood oldblood
2/21/2018 7:31 PM

My favorite part of Washougal is horsepower hill, and how you kind of float over the top.
I would mention the off cambers, but I stink at those.

Blur the technicolor

oldblood oldblood
2/21/2018 7:48 PM
Photo

Blur the technicolor

Myke Myke
2/21/2018 9:00 PM

Off cambers corners are fun because of the technical aspect of it. I have rode Buds Creek a few times and there is one gnarly off camber that I remember having to tip toe around in the inside rut and if you missed the inside rut you were going the long way around the bottom of the turn.

They tried an off camber in supercross recently and it turned into a one lined turn that was follow the leader.

"Who cares about what other people think"

KDXGarage KDXGarage
2/21/2018 10:39 PM

Why is Johnny O holding the banners in that pic with Hannah?? :-)

btn
btn
1 of 2

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry