Webb’s dominance vs annihilation

Gus
Edited Date/Time 3/5/2019 5:37pm
I’ve paid close attention to all of Webb’s win this year and have “worried” that he hasn’t crushed the competition. He hasn’t had that Roczen ‘17 A1 ride or the Tomac ‘17 Glendale. It has made me think is he just getting lucky? He has won in the last corner or by a corner. Then I got to thinking about his 250 rides where he won a lot but not by brutal annihilation. After listening to his interview with GuyB it makes me wonder that he’s not concerned about putting a minute on the field but rather the W’s in the win column. Webb has posted the fastest lap in several races and which shows his speed. He seems like he just gets in front and paces him self. Looks to be in control and just riding his own race and doesn’t care if he wins by 0.028 or 28.
|
deluxeman
3/3/2019 7:13am
Dungey did the same thing and people said he was slow.

A win is a win
drt410
3/3/2019 7:15am
Its smart. Hes on a new bike, new trainer, still new to 450 class, and just got his first win this sx season... now 4 more. Usually you win one here then one there for a bit before moving up to the level hes at. He has lots of room to grow. The fact that he still wins on his off nights is huge.
Gus
3/3/2019 7:16am
deluxeman wrote:

A win is a win
Look I’m totally down with it. Webb’s my guy and it’s more of a compliment of his race craft
cameron96
3/3/2019 7:35am
He gets outs front a rides a brick wall. His defence is the best I’ve ever seen. He can make a pass then instantly defend the next corner. He wants to win and does just that.

The Shop

TY838
3/3/2019 7:39am
Webb is actually looking a bit like McGrath on the bike. Get a good start, run a good comfortable pace and he seems unaffected by the pressure which is huge. I believe that is the factor that separates real title contenders from everyone else. A lot of guys can get good starts and run in the top 3 for 6 laps or whatever (Savatgy, J Hill, Mookie, Deano....)but eventually they fade/get pressured into mistakes/etc. A lot of guys can holeshot and end up 6th, the real ballers holeshot and ride a virtually flawless race and win those races. Webb has done this a few times already, Atl is not a one-off performance, like Brayton @Daytona.
wreckitrandy
3/3/2019 7:53am
Webb, or perhaps someone very close to him, must have read Ake's book. In it he states, 'The idea is to win, at the slowest speed possible.' Paraphrasing, of course.
Scull79
3/3/2019 10:25am
drt410 wrote:
Its smart. Hes on a new bike, new trainer, still new to 450 class, and just got his first win this sx season... now 4 more...
Its smart. Hes on a new bike, new trainer, still new to 450 class, and just got his first win this sx season... now 4 more. Usually you win one here then one there for a bit before moving up to the level hes at. He has lots of room to grow. The fact that he still wins on his off nights is huge.
I agree. He seems to be riding smart more than anything. Fast and aggressive when he needs to but calculated and precise. Hes riding his own race and not concerned about riding over his head just to gap the field.
Dave #125
3/3/2019 12:08pm
Controls the race, like CR22 RD5 etc..
I feel he has more in the tank.
3/3/2019 12:58pm Edited Date/Time 3/3/2019 1:16pm
They nailed it on the article. He is SMART. He learns and watches and improves through the night like at the last triple crown. Last night he held his own and did exactly as Blair called it. Held a tight enough line (defense) in the corners but rode that line aggressive (offense). He made them come to him and eat roost and make a mistake and fall back. Even when he missed the 3-3 a few times and they closed up again he didn't freak out - he just stuck to his game.

I am impressed. Liked him before, like him even more now.
Kid Spam
3/3/2019 2:32pm
Smartest guy on the track. Amazed at his awareness and judgement.
GODZILLA
3/3/2019 2:39pm
This saturday was very interesting...
The second Baggett or Musquin were getting really close, Webb found that little breeze of fresh air...
Very versatile too, these last few weeks, he's really been winning in very different fashions...
He's for real.
3/3/2019 2:53pm
deluxeman wrote:

A win is a win
Pretty much. The comparison is valid especially when you compare against someone like E.T.

RD on bad nights got 2nd or 3rd. Same for Cooper. When ET and many others have a bad night....they get 6th-10th. Or worse.
drt410
3/3/2019 3:04pm
Yup, the point is to win... thats it. The slower you can go and still win the less on the edge you are and the less mistakes. Someone in one of these threads was saying how Webb hasnt shown Kenny 16’ sx speed... yea cuz that worked out great. I love Ken, but wtf comparison is that? Tomac 15... Webb would probably like to be a little further out, but the faster you are riding than the rest of the world class racers on the track the closer you are to catastrophe.
JohnnyD13
3/3/2019 6:52pm
Just remember when Webb won his 250 titles. He won like this. Some nights he didn’t kill them. He just did what it takes to win. He is super smart. A couple years ago he was winning the title in the west and I ran into him at the dmxs party in Atlanta. He was in the lead for the title and double fisting corona at a dmxs party. Now he is with Alden Baker. He’s back to his title winning ways but with a perfect training program. I say watch out
3/3/2019 7:23pm
Solid laps, a few 2019 sx wins and the red number plate ... a lot of fast pros would love to be able to say that.
CPR
3/3/2019 11:14pm
cameron96 wrote:
He gets outs front a rides a brick wall. His defence is the best I’ve ever seen. He can make a pass then instantly defend the...
He gets outs front a rides a brick wall. His defence is the best I’ve ever seen. He can make a pass then instantly defend the next corner. He wants to win and does just that.
" He can make a pass then instantly defend the next corner."
Cross jumping helps.
joeellis
3/3/2019 11:42pm
I think he has more speed in reserve, but as many have said, why race on the edge when you’re already winning and have the points lead. You don’t get extra points by winning by a larger margin. He’s staying on two wheels and that is what it takes when you’re in the position he’s in.
SweetDaddy
3/4/2019 4:57am
I remember when Stew would be way out front and then wad. Coop is playing it smart.
gt80rider
3/4/2019 6:41am
Kid Spam wrote:
Smartest guy on the track. Amazed at his awareness and judgement.
Really¿??? Let's talk the previous two seasons and just how smart he was....
ForToo
3/4/2019 11:58pm
Not only does he have the speed to win while running a comfortable place, but he knows how to maintain a championship; and that's even more for the competition to fret about.
motomike137
3/5/2019 3:42am
Cooper has now had time to grow a little bit comfortable with the red plate while his closest competition keeps slipping. He may not win this title but I doubt that he will make any glaring mistakes from this point on.
AZRider
3/5/2019 4:15am
I find it more interesting that the guys that have been behind him have been so friendly when it comes to trying to pass him. In BB4 and MM25s case, I understand because they are KTM guys. KR and ET are not. It will be interesting to see as these close races playout with who is close behind him.
biscuit11
3/5/2019 4:20am
Did any of the circle jerkers in here see him almost throw it away on Saturday night coming off the bridge? Getting good starts is a pretty big part of what he has done. I wouldnt count Kenny Marv or Eli out yet. 1 night can change the whole season and there are many more nights to go.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
3/5/2019 4:35am
biscuit11 wrote:
Did any of the circle jerkers in here see him almost throw it away on Saturday night coming off the bridge? Getting good starts is a...
Did any of the circle jerkers in here see him almost throw it away on Saturday night coming off the bridge? Getting good starts is a pretty big part of what he has done. I wouldnt count Kenny Marv or Eli out yet. 1 night can change the whole season and there are many more nights to go.
This.
He has been great but he's "only" 13 points ahead with 8 rounds to go.
Anything can happen.
All 4 guys are still very much alive in this thing. Tomac 22 points back isn't ideal but he's Eli Tomac, he could go on a 5-week win streak next weekend. If Roczen was 22 points back I'd say it's pretty much over
3/5/2019 5:04am Edited Date/Time 3/5/2019 5:04am
The win by an inch helps his brand. He’s just gotta consistently shoot people with his finger pistol. That destroys his competition mentally.
Kid Spam
3/5/2019 5:15am
Eli is riding around in mid pack, Anderson out, 94 is not 94, Musqusin was reaching brilliance with Dungey...but no more. Webb is not going to be beaten by the current top 5. But it is SX. Staying upright is not a given.
biscuit11
3/5/2019 5:33am
Kid Spam wrote:
Eli is riding around in mid pack, Anderson out, 94 is not 94, Musqusin was reaching brilliance with Dungey...but no more. Webb is not going to...
Eli is riding around in mid pack, Anderson out, 94 is not 94, Musqusin was reaching brilliance with Dungey...but no more. Webb is not going to be beaten by the current top 5. But it is SX. Staying upright is not a given.
Eli has been fastest the last how many qualifying sessions? 11th to 1st in a tripple crown moto id say his speed makes him a threat even with the deficit. Marv and Kenny came into this year with title expectaions and are a lot less likely to throw it away in an instant than Cooper is. Cooper is riding great no doubt, but the other guys know how long this season is. Also first year with Baker suprised nobody has mentioned maybe a burnout from an early peak. We will see. I have a feeling this is gonna get good. Remember Webb and Tomac at Daytona last yr? Also wouldnt be suprised to see Kenny throw an extra agressive pass when the time is right given their history. This is far from over boys...
Kid Spam
3/5/2019 5:48am
biscuit11 wrote:
Eli has been fastest the last how many qualifying sessions? 11th to 1st in a tripple crown moto id say his speed makes him a threat...
Eli has been fastest the last how many qualifying sessions? 11th to 1st in a tripple crown moto id say his speed makes him a threat even with the deficit. Marv and Kenny came into this year with title expectaions and are a lot less likely to throw it away in an instant than Cooper is. Cooper is riding great no doubt, but the other guys know how long this season is. Also first year with Baker suprised nobody has mentioned maybe a burnout from an early peak. We will see. I have a feeling this is gonna get good. Remember Webb and Tomac at Daytona last yr? Also wouldnt be suprised to see Kenny throw an extra agressive pass when the time is right given their history. This is far from over boys...
Can't argue with anything you said. Regarding Eli, he stays buried in the pack...? But yeah, anything can happen and usually does.

Post a reply to: Webb’s dominance vs annihilation

The Latest