Silliker269
10/4/2017 10:11pm
It just come down to the dolla dolla bills yall .. No pay no ride
ML512
Fantasy
54th
10/4/2017 10:20pm
ML512 wrote:
Atalanta does, by probably 15,000-20,000 people. Off the top of my head, probably eight to ten of the SX rounds match or beat a MXdN for...
Atalanta does, by probably 15,000-20,000 people. Off the top of my head, probably eight to ten of the SX rounds match or beat a MXdN for in-person attendance...
If Atlanta is doing only 15-20K then that is a humongous drop from what is was doing 2000-2012. The event used to sell out the Georgia...
If Atlanta is doing only 15-20K then that is a humongous drop from what is was doing 2000-2012. The event used to sell out the Georgia Dome, 70,000 + people, most years well over 60,000.
He's saying Atlanta's attendance beats the MXoN attendance by 15-20k.
You are correct sir...
Beeby
10/4/2017 11:15pm
It’s a bit narrow sighted to say A1 is the biggest event of the year. Maybe in America or for Americans but worldwide no.

If money truly is a deciding factor why not have some sort of purse build up through the year, maybe a percentage of income from each AMA round goes to it or something. That money can then be used for the teams expenses.
Jrewing
10/4/2017 11:29pm
My view. I won't stump up $40 to watch A1 but I will for mxdn. It's my mx highlight of the year

The Shop

Sideways
10/4/2017 11:36pm
As does Supercross but they still broadcast it on live television.
Television is dead. Everything is on PPV these days.
ayearinmx
10/5/2017 12:33am
The American team takes by far the largest contingent of people to the MXoN. Period.
I even heard that there was the nose-strip dude at Matterley Basin...

If they wanted to, they could easily cut a whole bunch of costs down on the entire event, and i doubt it'd have any affect on rider performance.
pdub187
Fantasy
2544th
10/5/2017 2:45am
It's my favourite event of the year by a long way. I don't know how my opinion lines up with anyone else's though.
RG1
10/5/2017 4:06am
Juice_Mann wrote:
I may be way off base, but I would argue that A1 is the biggest and most celebrated event of the year. There's a reason why...
I may be way off base, but I would argue that A1 is the biggest and most celebrated event of the year. There's a reason why the MXDN doesn't broadcast live on television.
You nailed it with the first 6 words of your post.

There's a lot of hype and excitement around A1, mainly because there hasn't been any racing for 3 months prior, and it's the first race of the new year. If you look at A1 as a single event and the MXdN as a single event, then MXdN is the one that means the most to most fans and is the more prestigious event to win
Jrewing
10/5/2017 4:10am
Juice_Mann wrote:
I may be way off base, but I would argue that A1 is the biggest and most celebrated event of the year. There's a reason why...
I may be way off base, but I would argue that A1 is the biggest and most celebrated event of the year. There's a reason why the MXDN doesn't broadcast live on television.
RG1 wrote:
You nailed it with the first 6 words of your post. There's a lot of hype and excitement around A1, mainly because there hasn't been any...

There's a lot of hype and excitement around A1, mainly because there hasn't been any racing for 3 months prior, and it's the first race of the new year. If you look at A1 as a single event and the MXdN as a single event, then MXdN is the one that means the most to most fans and is the more prestigious event to win
This..
ns503
10/5/2017 4:13am
I would much rather spectate at the MXoN than A1 - no question, no contest.
Crush
10/5/2017 4:15am
ML512 wrote:
I've had J-Bone tell me when they took Barcia...for staff flights, lodging, food, rental cars, extra pay for days gone...shipping two complete bikes and parts, and...
I've had J-Bone tell me when they took Barcia...for staff flights, lodging, food, rental cars, extra pay for days gone...shipping two complete bikes and parts, and other necessities...they were in over $40,000 outside their normal budget.

That doesn't include Barcia and his family's travel of course...just the team related stuff not including the rider.
You could argue that that is unnecessary though... EVERY other team runs with way less resources than USA, and considering the event format, the impact and immediacy of some random event on the outcome of the race – for of all of Team USA's inputs this year, something as random as Cole's double shock failure or Covington's ACL meant it was done right there, so what's the point of rolling like that? Ship a bike with a spare motor, two sets of suspension, and a mechanic.

I mean, Eli and team Kawi didn't have an answer for their front brake dramas mid-motos, wheels barely get swapped if spokes go. It is what it is.
RG1
10/5/2017 4:24am
ML512 wrote:
I've had J-Bone tell me when they took Barcia...for staff flights, lodging, food, rental cars, extra pay for days gone...shipping two complete bikes and parts, and...
I've had J-Bone tell me when they took Barcia...for staff flights, lodging, food, rental cars, extra pay for days gone...shipping two complete bikes and parts, and other necessities...they were in over $40,000 outside their normal budget.

That doesn't include Barcia and his family's travel of course...just the team related stuff not including the rider.
Crush wrote:
You could argue that that is unnecessary though... EVERY other team runs with way less resources than USA, and considering the event format, the impact and...
You could argue that that is unnecessary though... EVERY other team runs with way less resources than USA, and considering the event format, the impact and immediacy of some random event on the outcome of the race – for of all of Team USA's inputs this year, something as random as Cole's double shock failure or Covington's ACL meant it was done right there, so what's the point of rolling like that? Ship a bike with a spare motor, two sets of suspension, and a mechanic.

I mean, Eli and team Kawi didn't have an answer for their front brake dramas mid-motos, wheels barely get swapped if spokes go. It is what it is.
Exactly. You can't tell me that Canada, Brazil, Australia, NZ etc. are spending that kind of money to turn up each year. Or that all the teams that go to Red Bud next year will be either. I know USA are sending better riders than Brazil, NZ etc. But there has to be somewhere between what Brazil are spending and what the USA are spending that can still work
tp4
10/5/2017 5:18am
wfo4ever wrote:
I think older fans like the MXoN because they see it as patriotic like the olympics. Us old farts have seen all the ups and downs...
I think older fans like the MXoN because they see it as patriotic like the olympics. Us old farts have seen all the ups and downs for the US team for decades at this race. New young fans I believe would rather watch SX in the states in a nice dome with seats if they even like motorcycles. Most could care less or don't even know what the MXoN race is. Also the number of new fans and new riders in this sport is dwindling and is only going to get worse. Watch the younger crowd at a race, they are more interested in playing with their smart phones than watching the race. They are looking down at their phones all the time wherever they are. Most are there to just party. Times are changing, so many things that were important for the older crowd are slowly fading away. The younger crowd could care less about those things or don't even know about it. This sport is going to see a drop in riders and fans in the future. Just look at Golf, Nascar, and many other sports that are loosing interest. I grew up on a very nice and popular golf course in Florida, it is now closed. Nobody plays golf anymore and the ones that did are dead now. Houses will be built on that property instead. Also did you know that even guitar sales are terrible, and companies like Gibson and Les Paul are really struggling. Kids don't want to learn how to play guitar anymore, it takes too long to learn. I have a friend that works for Gibson Guitars and she will probably loose her 30+ year job with Gibson at the end of this year. The younger crowd is changing just like we did different things than our parents did when we were younger. Ask a young person what they thought about "Tom Petty" dying. Most of them will not even know who you are talking about. R.I.P. Tom Petty.
bimgo....you said it correctly.
I have 3 boys..they are not interested @ all....and the risk factor is way to high now a days!
TJMX947
10/5/2017 5:38am
I know how I felt watching the MXoN at Budd's Creek in 2007. I've never seen a race where a champion was crowned until and since then. I've only ever been to the Atlanta SX, Daytona SX, Budd's (on Father's Day), and Red Bud. Nothing compared to the atmosphere.

A1 is ok, I guess the hype surrounds the new riders, debuts on new teams, new gear, new bikes, and new formats if it happens. I usually fall asleep and have to set an alarm to see the mains. As a fan and participant of the sport the time fill portions really irritate me. Show me meaningful rider interviews, not "Bike Set Up 101: This is a clutch. Riders use this to launch off the start gate for a holeshot."
ocscottie
10/5/2017 5:39am
ayearinmx wrote:
The American team takes by far the largest contingent of people to the MXoN. Period. I even heard that there was the nose-strip dude at Matterley...
The American team takes by far the largest contingent of people to the MXoN. Period.

If they wanted to, they could easily cut a whole bunch of costs down on the entire event, and i doubt it'd have any affect on rider performance.
"I even heard that there was the nose-strip dude at Matterley Basin"

LMAO!!!
Motofinne
10/5/2017 5:54am Edited Date/Time 10/5/2017 5:55am
The thing i just can't understand at all is when the MX/SX journalists tell us that the teams doesn't want to go to the race. It amazes me. And i'm completely ignoring the patriotism, the desire to rep your country. These two things are only connected to emotion, let's put that aside for awhile.

MXdN is either the biggest or the second biggest race in the sport. For me it is the biggest with A1 coming as second. My excitement for A1 is mostly because of 2 months without any racing.

But to say that they DON'T want to represent their sponsors or OEM at the biggest(or second biggest) stage in the industry is completely baffling.

Weege said on the Racer X MXdN review pod that Racer X peak when it comes to clicks etc is at this race. Racer X is the biggest moto site in the industry.

How can teams then say they don't want to show up for the race with the most exposure of them all. Especially since they get a worldwide audience? The GPs(i don't know if they televised MXdN) are usually on Eurosport. Eurosport is broadcasted i almost 60 countries.
newmann
10/5/2017 6:09am
ayearinmx wrote:
The American team takes by far the largest contingent of people to the MXoN. Period. I even heard that there was the nose-strip dude at Matterley...

But man friends. Gotta have the man friends.
Juice_Mann
10/5/2017 6:13am
Juice_Mann wrote:
RG1 wrote:
You nailed it with the first 6 words of your post. There's a lot of hype and excitement around A1, mainly because there hasn't been any...

My statement had nothing to do with which race means the most to fans. I said "biggest and most celebrated".
Question
10/5/2017 6:18am
It is probably the ama series importance that over shadow the mxdn in the us eyes.
newmann
10/5/2017 6:18am
mxb2 wrote:
I doubt he.paid his own way. Hrc paid the tab.
ML512 wrote:
He didn't pay for his bike to get there, but Cole did pay for his and his families flights, hotels, rental cars etc. Osborne said he...
He didn't pay for his bike to get there, but Cole did pay for his and his families flights, hotels, rental cars etc. Osborne said he was in about $10,000 out of pocket for the trip. I've heard similar numbers from other riders that have gone.
mxb2 wrote:
X2, no reason for hrc to pay for his family bills . Def should pay Cole's fees.
How much money do the factories pay to family members to keep Little Johnny Factory Amateur on the wink wink "payroll"? Alessi's, RC, Barcia, Villo, Ciancurilo (sp?), Laninovich. Used to be big money going into the am's yet it all dried up when the kids turned pro. I remember when the economy tanked and Suzuki killed off their contingency program. Everyone was all up in arms over it. How about saving a little of that coin for the pro ranks and the occasional MXdN?
newmann
10/5/2017 6:23am
As a fan, yeah it's important. Racer X did good back in 2001-02.

TXDirt
10/5/2017 6:30am
ML512 wrote:

And no body is forcing them to bring 20 techs with them. And what did all those Honda techs accomplish? Seely didn't even finish either Moto.

Want to spend less? Bring less people.
mxb2
10/5/2017 6:35am
ML512 wrote:

TXDirt wrote:
And no body is forcing them to bring 20 techs with them. And what did all those Honda techs accomplish? Seely didn't even finish either Moto...
And no body is forcing them to bring 20 techs with them. And what did all those Honda techs accomplish? Seely didn't even finish either Moto.

X2, bring the less amount needed. If they want vacation , buy it themselves. Hrc only pays for the rider and mechanic.
mx_563
10/5/2017 7:16am
ayearinmx wrote:

I could be wrong here but I'm guessing nose strip guy is paying his own way to be there so he can say he put a nose strip on at the des Nations and *hopefully* get his picture taken with the team on the podium. I would hope that Kawasaki/KTM/Honda/etc. wouldn't be paying for him to be there. But I get what you're saying.

I also wanted to comment on what JT$ said with regards to gear and how "we don't even sell the special gear so the MXdesN is not that big of a marketing play" (paraphrasing). I'm confused as to why you would go to the trouble ($$$) of making custom one-off gear if there was no ROI. The idea of making custom unobtainable shit as a marketing tool is not new. So I'm confused as to why JT$ seemed to dismiss (for lack of a better term), Weege's theory with regards to leveraging the MXdesN for marketing.

And yes, it will forever be the des Nations as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers

ML512
Fantasy
54th
10/5/2017 7:18am
ML512 wrote:

TXDirt wrote:
And no body is forcing them to bring 20 techs with them. And what did all those Honda techs accomplish? Seely didn't even finish either Moto...

mxb2 wrote:
X2, bring the less amount needed. If they want vacation , buy it themselves. Hrc only pays for the rider and mechanic.
They need their suspension techs, and electronic/engine guys...team managers are going to go too. Last thing you want is one mechanic if there is a serious problem that's beyond what he deals with (engine, electronics, suspension, etc).
Jt$
10/5/2017 7:21am
Juice_Mann wrote:
RG1 wrote:

That may be your perspective on it from GB and probably many other countries but here in the USA, A1 dwarfs MXoN for most. I spend thousands of my own dollars every year to go to this MXoN so clearly I love it but, big picture, A1 is much, much more interesting for casual USA fans.

For better or worse, SX attendance and TV numbers are far larger than any other form of dirt bike racing on earth.
mxb2
10/5/2017 7:26am
TXDirt wrote:

mxb2 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
They need their suspension techs, and electronic/engine guys...team managers are going to go too. Last thing you want is one mechanic if there is a serious...
They need their suspension techs, and electronic/engine guys...team managers are going to go too. Last thing you want is one mechanic if there is a serious problem that's beyond what he deals with (engine, electronics, suspension, etc).
10-4,. Take what is needed. Anybody not needed pay their own way.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
10/5/2017 7:28am
ayearinmx wrote:

ocscottie wrote:
"I even heard that there was the nose-strip dude at Matterley Basin"

LMAO!!!
Frankie from AC Systems, him and Jim Castillo paid their own way over. They were showing their product off to some of the GP riders and supporting the US team too.
kkawboy14
10/5/2017 7:31am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Seely paid his own way? That tells me all I need to know about that event!
mxb2 wrote:
I doubt he.paid his own way. Hrc paid the tab.
ML512 wrote:
He didn't pay for his bike to get there, but Cole did pay for his and his families flights, hotels, rental cars etc. Osborne said he...
He didn't pay for his bike to get there, but Cole did pay for his and his families flights, hotels, rental cars etc. Osborne said he was in about $10,000 out of pocket for the trip. I've heard similar numbers from other riders that have gone.
Wow that's just crazy......if this is such an important race for "the country" it should at least be paid for by somebody else!
kkawboy14
10/5/2017 7:33am Edited Date/Time 10/5/2017 7:34am
A1 and Daytona are I would say the 2 biggest moto events.

A1 because all the biggest players are healthy and in one moto

Daytona, well it's just Daytona.

Post a reply to: Weege-USA MXDN Disconnect

The Latest