What Happened To Track Variety?

TDeath21
7/29/2018 9:52pm Edited Date/Time 8/5/2018 6:31pm
I just don't get it. The AMA series has tried to make every track loamy like Red Bud, the crown jewel. Yes I agree that Red Bud is the best track with regards to how the track surface is throughout the race. But in doing so, they've taken away a key component that I personally loved to see. That being track surface variety to challenge these top tier riders on several different surfaces. This is one of the many things I love about the GPs. Much more variety to challenge their riders.

Just take a peak at this race at Washougal from 2006 and then rewatch Saturday's race. Entirely different. Washougal used to be that slick outdoor track where throttle control was key. Not anymore.

https://youtu.be/YgdwF6Ot04g
|
KirkChandler
Fantasy
357th
7/29/2018 10:17pm Edited Date/Time 7/29/2018 10:18pm
More surprising is look at that crowd size. Impressive
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
7/29/2018 10:30pm
I saw plenty of slick hard packed sections on the track yesterday. Dry as well
KirkChandler
Fantasy
357th
7/29/2018 10:36pm
That was a great race. Rewatching RC and Stew go at it wide open is so impressive, their corner speed and aggressiveness is still some of the best we've ever seen, even after 12 years of progression.
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3807th
7/29/2018 10:41pm
Completely off topic to your original post but I was at Washougal that year. James Stewart almost hit the fence where I was at when RC bumped him, and Stewart also sprayed champagne in my eyes after the podium celebration and I almost went blind momentarily. Good times.

The Shop

mx510
Fantasy
1861st
7/29/2018 10:50pm
If you think Washougals dirt is anything like Red Bud you need an eye exam. There hasn’t been any real amount of dirt brought in to Washougal to speak of. It’s the same, some years based on pre prep alone and sometimes a little luck with weather the track appears that way. There were plenty of hard packed choppy spots. Absolutely NOTHING like Red Bud.
rongi#401
7/29/2018 11:23pm
I remember they were giving out unbound samples and they were really good, and then I bought an unbound when I got home and it tasted like ass.
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3807th
7/29/2018 11:35pm
rongi#401 wrote:
I remember they were giving out unbound samples and they were really good, and then I bought an unbound when I got home and it tasted...
I remember they were giving out unbound samples and they were really good, and then I bought an unbound when I got home and it tasted like ass.
They were tripling the sugar dosage to make it taste better than it actually was.
dimetime
7/29/2018 11:38pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I saw plenty of slick hard packed sections on the track yesterday. Dry as well
I was thinking l haven't see dust like that on a national track in quite awhile too.

motomike137
7/30/2018 7:13am
I've seen Washougal with my own eyes and it isn't ANYTHING like Red Bud. The OP is falling into the trap that many do looking at it on TV. It is one of the most deceiving surfaces on the circuit. What is really interesting is that Eli romps there like he does.
Flip109
7/30/2018 7:28am
People just love to bitch and complain. Even if the racing was epic. cry me a fucking river. That track was awesome and unique as usual! They were hauling the mail around that place. The jump into the rollers sideways wide open was insane.
aeffertz
7/30/2018 7:33am
The track this weekend was way different than Millville or RedBud. If you think it’s anything like Southwick you’re delusional.
Mr. Info
7/30/2018 7:35am
That’s back when it was cheaper to go to the race and no TV live to take people away from going to see the race in person. This is just my opinion.
RG1
7/30/2018 7:39am
I don't think there's as much variety in the tracks in the Nationals as there used to be, but there was nothing wrong with the track this weekend. It was dry and dusty by the end of the race and certainly not as rutted as many of the other tracks. I thought it was fine
cwtoyota
7/30/2018 8:01am
mx510 wrote:
If you think Washougals dirt is anything like Red Bud you need an eye exam. There hasn’t been any real amount of dirt brought in to...
If you think Washougals dirt is anything like Red Bud you need an eye exam. There hasn’t been any real amount of dirt brought in to Washougal to speak of. It’s the same, some years based on pre prep alone and sometimes a little luck with weather the track appears that way. There were plenty of hard packed choppy spots. Absolutely NOTHING like Red Bud.
Yeah, that's how I saw it too (in person).
Sunshine and a little breeze can really change what that track looks like as it dries out. Even when it looks like chocolate cake, it still has plenty of tricky areas, shadows and demands plenty of patience.

The only substantial amount of sand that has been put in the track has been the catapult jump after the infield triple. The landing area is a massive sand pit and some of that sand has been mixed in with the jump itself.

A few years back they tried out a sand section before the mechanics area for the national race, but subsequently removed all of it. It held a lot of water after some mid-week rain and was pretty bad for the next weekend's local race, I think that's why they got rid of that sand.

Each year, leading up to the national they do mix in some saw-dust in a few areas, but it's not much more than one or two piles. There's usually a pile over by the first turn and another in the tight corner after the finish line (where you enter the track on practice days). It doesn't make a whole lot of difference from year to year.
cwtoyota
7/30/2018 8:04am
Mr. Info wrote:
That’s back when it was cheaper to go to the race and no TV live to take people away from going to see the race in...
That’s back when it was cheaper to go to the race and no TV live to take people away from going to see the race in person. This is just my opinion.
As for the crowd size... I was telling my buddies it seemed like maybe 75% to 80% the turnout they had in recent years.

The weather forecast was supposed to be super hot for this area, so maybe that turned some folks away?
I know a bunch of friends who were out riding, on family camping trips, or went out on the boat instead.
jeffro503
7/30/2018 8:34am
I can tell you that the dirt up there right now , is about exactly the same as what it is in that video above. The years I remember it having the best dirt ever , were between about 85' - 95'. In the later 90's and 2000's some of the top soil seemed to of started to disappear a bit. But back in those prime years , early morning practice , sun coming out , steam coming up off the dirt.......best damn dirt I ever rode!
TDeath21
7/30/2018 8:38am
mx510 wrote:
If you think Washougals dirt is anything like Red Bud you need an eye exam. There hasn’t been any real amount of dirt brought in to...
I’m not saying it’s identical to Red Bud. I’m just saying that all tracks are shifting more in that direction. Like I said, watch any Washougal race pre 2010ish and that track looks way different than it did yesterday. You can clearly see how the surface was different and there weren’t nearly as many sections where you can see the well defined and deeper ruts, indicating a more loamy track. Is it a loamy track? Nothing on the level of Red Bud or Millville. But is it that same slick Washougal track that made it unique? No. only in a couple sections anymore.
mx510
Fantasy
1861st
7/30/2018 9:59am
TDeath21 wrote:
I’m not saying it’s identical to Red Bud. I’m just saying that all tracks are shifting more in that direction. Like I said, watch any Washougal...
I’m not saying it’s identical to Red Bud. I’m just saying that all tracks are shifting more in that direction. Like I said, watch any Washougal race pre 2010ish and that track looks way different than it did yesterday. You can clearly see how the surface was different and there weren’t nearly as many sections where you can see the well defined and deeper ruts, indicating a more loamy track. Is it a loamy track? Nothing on the level of Red Bud or Millville. But is it that same slick Washougal track that made it unique? No. only in a couple sections anymore.
I am sorry bro, but you are just wrong. I haven’t missed a Washougal National since 1993 and it’s still pretty much the same. It has changed in some spots due to the track kind of sinking and being dug out, but it is as slick and sketchy at times as ever. It all depends on the prep, if it’s ripped deep it will give the appearance that it’s killer a lot longer. Great track and time at the National every year. The Huffman’s do a great job.
ruy
7/30/2018 4:56pm
For me is the best track in the calendar.
mx317
7/30/2018 6:19pm
I remember when Red Bud wasn't so sandy. There has been tons and tons of sand hauled in over the years. The first time I went there it also had some hard pack sections.
Highsider
8/5/2018 6:31pm Edited Date/Time 8/5/2018 6:31pm
aeffertz wrote:
The track this weekend was way different than Millville or RedBud. If you think it’s anything like Southwick you’re delusional.
BINGO.

I ride Millville and Red Bud often and have one lap of Southwick and several of Budds Creek.

When you go ride all of these and more, then bitch.

Post a reply to: What Happened To Track Variety?

The Latest