What is the most sketchy track you have ever ridden?

MW19
1/24/2018 11:08pm Edited Date/Time 1/28/2018 12:16pm
I would have to say mine was an old somewhat private track in South Carolina. Back in the early 200s. It was just behind some guys house. I believe he raced somewhat professionally. You just put a couple bucks in a locked box and then did your thing. Was very rarely groomed. The water run off on the track was really bad. Seemed like someone got hurt pretty bad every time I was there. Track is long gone now.
|
chump6784
1/24/2018 11:53pm
We went to this track for a practice day as they were holding a state title event there a few weeks later. The track had been closed for a while and this was the first weekend it had been opened.
When we got there the grass had pretty much overgrown the track and it had only been mowed in a couple of places.
We start doing laps and next thing my brother goes flying back to the pits, my dad asked him what was wrong and he says "there is a massive red bellied black snake on the track and it struck at me. They aren't the most venomous snake we have but if you get bitten you're in trouble.
A few weeks later they hold the big event there. Around 300-400 bikes show up. About half way through the day people are reporting bits of glass, concrete and white goods like freezers and ovens appearing in the track. Turns out the track had been built on an old rubbish tip and had never hosted that many bikes which chewed through the top soil and down to the rubbish
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2520th
1/25/2018 12:03am
Track in northern New Mexico. Always dry, but somehow had run off through the area that would put blind holes and ruts everywhere. I’ve had 3 of my worst crashes there and every one I ride with had had at least 1 crash there that resulted in a hospital visit ranging from concussion to broken femur.
tempura
1/25/2018 12:04am Edited Date/Time 1/25/2018 2:16pm
MW19 wrote:
I would have to say mine was an old somewhat private track in South Carolina. Back in the early 200s. It was just behind some guys...
I would have to say mine was an old somewhat private track in South Carolina. Back in the early 200s. It was just behind some guys house. I believe he raced somewhat professionally. You just put a couple bucks in a locked box and then did your thing. Was very rarely groomed. The water run off on the track was really bad. Seemed like someone got hurt pretty bad every time I was there. Track is long gone now.
Sounds like most of the tracks here. Sketchy, and ill maintained. Miss a turn or go off the side of the track usually means going off a ledge or down a very steep mountainous slope
Acidreamer
1/25/2018 1:25am
No sketchy tracks around here. But I was about 9 years old and my dad built a ramp out of a single piece of plywood and 2 cinder blocks stacked on each other. Hit that bitch in 4th on my xr100 and nearly died. That was sketchy af.

The Shop

Motofinne
1/25/2018 1:29am Edited Date/Time 1/25/2018 1:47am
A hard pack/clay based track with hills/elevation when it rained nonstop the day and night before the race.

People struggled with getting up on some of the hills. It was just a matter of survival.
1/25/2018 1:45am
Serle, race track in nothern Italy. Beautiful surroundings and nice track owner, but good god it's sketchy for the average rider. rock hard, steep af, narrow, fast, mixed with a few big jumps and half of the track is surrounded by trees and big boulders.
Robgvx
1/25/2018 2:37am Edited Date/Time 1/25/2018 2:38am
Sittendorf, Austria: When I first went there in 1985 one hill was just jagged, bare rocks. We had to basically gently coast up the last part or the back wheel would just kick violently to the side.

Overpelt, The Netherlands: This was a deep sand track that was on waste ground. It was never graded. Imagine Lommel after a GP and then multiply that. The entire track was whoops you could hide a bike in.

Apex, Worcester, UK: When this place first opened (I was the first rider to ever set wheels on that place) it was a piece of waste ground where they had dumped dirt from the construction of the adjacent freeway. There were lumps of concrete sticking out of the ground and the occasional twisted metal road sign.

NEC Hardcross: An arenacross track built just on the stadium floor. No dirt (we used slick tyres) and wooden ramp jumps. The tabletop was a truck trailer with ramps at either end.
10000hrs
1/25/2018 3:09am
Devils Bowl Speedway, Fair Haven, Vt circa 1976.

The track was in the infield of a dirt stock car track. This area of Vt has a very slick clay. The problem is they made jumps by gouging into the ground thee feet deep from both sides to make a jump in the middle. The gouges never dried completely and ditched up. So you would hop into the gouge and if you werent perfect, the slippery clay would shoot you sideways. And if you did make it up the up ramp, you got to land is slick ruts on the other side.

Five of us went that day. I crashed the least at four times per moto. A buddy crashed seven times in one moto.
tylermx967
1/25/2018 4:04am
ONE TIME WE RIDED DOWN BY THE CREEK AND I GETED MY SUSZUKI STUCKED ALL THE WAY UP TO THE GAS TANK HANDELBARS IN THE MUD WE NEED TO GET 2 TRUCKS AND TRY TO PULL IT OUT AND I GUY GET REALLY MAD WHEN WE TAKED IT TO THE CAR WASH
ZM956
1/25/2018 4:09am
MW19 wrote:
I would have to say mine was an old somewhat private track in South Carolina. Back in the early 200s. It was just behind some guys...
Would this track happen to be Turkey Creek?
ktmdan
1/25/2018 4:37am
Shady grove in dallas.
There's a place on cedar creek lake near underground mx where you put $5 in a box and ride. people can't ever figure out which direction the track goes...
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3671st
1/25/2018 4:56am Edited Date/Time 1/25/2018 4:56am
Private tracks tend to have jump faces and landings built by old guys with big guts who don’t ride but enjoy building tracks. Unfortunately this doesn’t always work, being that they’re unable to jump the stuff themselves.

Abbott Mx in Nebraska comes to mind as far as poorly built jumps/landings.
greenmx5
1/25/2018 5:06am
Not going to name the track because I think they still operate unfortunately. But we showed up to a track once around 9am and there were 2 groups of people there. Not a good sign. Went out, and the track was hard packed, not dug up. There were water ruts from the weeks rainfall about 6 inches to a foot deep zig zagging up the faces of the jumps. They hadn't touched the track. You could barely see from the dust and there was only about 3 people on the track at a time. But the sketchiest thing of all was the owners and everyone in the sign up building left around noon. And they never came back. One other group of people showed up around 1. They asked us where to sign up and we told them the owners left but the track is terrible. The guy unloaded and did about 2 laps around the track. Came back and called it a day. The whole trip was a waste of time.
billyp330
1/25/2018 5:46am Edited Date/Time 1/25/2018 5:49am
Acidreamer wrote:
No sketchy tracks around here. But I was about 9 years old and my dad built a ramp out of a single piece of plywood and...
No sketchy tracks around here. But I was about 9 years old and my dad built a ramp out of a single piece of plywood and 2 cinder blocks stacked on each other. Hit that bitch in 4th on my xr100 and nearly died. That was sketchy af.
did you ever ride NEMX? it was sketchy a few yrs. I think 2010 it was all pretty mellow but then 2011 they redid the track and made a few of em pretty sketchy since it was such a tight area with poles here and there. I saw a few people eat shit there that year. Some how I managed to knock myself out when the finish was a nice tabletop, yet when it was sketchy double I had no issues lol
bball35
1/25/2018 5:58am
MW19 wrote:
ZM956 wrote:
Would this track happen to be Turkey Creek?
I was about to ask the same thing. That was were my motocross obsession began but man that track was hard packed and fast. Broke my wrist there in 2000. Many of men did get hurt there.
ZM956
1/25/2018 6:12am Edited Date/Time 1/25/2018 6:14am
bball35 wrote:
I was about to ask the same thing. That was were my motocross obsession began but man that track was hard packed and fast. Broke my...
I was about to ask the same thing. That was were my motocross obsession began but man that track was hard packed and fast. Broke my wrist there in 2000. Many of men did get hurt there.
You are right about that. No broken bones but two separated shoulders within two months there. The first one, they drugged me up and popped it right back in place. Second, it took three of them tossing me around like a rag doll trying to pop it back in. On the bright side, I think the track is making a turn around. Recently I have seen where its been open for practice and it looks better than the last few times I was out there.
1/25/2018 6:35am Edited Date/Time 1/25/2018 8:31am
El Cajon Motocross... at night... with the tweakers
1/25/2018 7:15am
ktmdan wrote:
Shady grove in dallas. There's a place on cedar creek lake near underground mx where you put $5 in a box and ride. people can't ever...
Shady grove in dallas.
There's a place on cedar creek lake near underground mx where you put $5 in a box and ride. people can't ever figure out which direction the track goes...
It's nicknamed Shitty Grove for a reason
Kenny Lingus
1/25/2018 7:17am
Ridden at quite a few sketchy private tracks but as far as somewhere I've paid, it would be Hard Rock in Ocala Florida. Looked like it hadn't been groomed since it was built and has chunks of leftover mining equipment popping up. Made the mistake of going back the next year and I swear it was exactly the same. Rocks in same spot as was the chunks of mining equipment
Hammer 663s
1/25/2018 7:40am
Hangtown after a bunch of 20 year olds did prep. Many of the jumps were setup like SX triples - if you didn't scrub you were gonna end up 40' up every time, and they put so much water down (ruts, man!) that most corners were 18" of oatmeal. I'd ridden there many times before and never seen prep like that. Blew my knee out in the slop of one corner when my boot got caught in the goop. Not a good day.

Got banned by the operator for bitching about the prep online. I was not the only one that said it sucked that day.

Hammer 663s
1/25/2018 7:42am
Inside and old factory in downtown Racine WI !!!!! The dirt was froze finely screen topsoil but Froze!!! Conduit pipe hanging off the walls, some of the I Beams that held the roof up with covered with foam some not so much LOLOL No ventilation and it went from room to room.
bball35
1/25/2018 7:52am
ZM956 wrote:
You are right about that. No broken bones but two separated shoulders within two months there. The first one, they drugged me up and popped it...
You are right about that. No broken bones but two separated shoulders within two months there. The first one, they drugged me up and popped it right back in place. Second, it took three of them tossing me around like a rag doll trying to pop it back in. On the bright side, I think the track is making a turn around. Recently I have seen where its been open for practice and it looks better than the last few times I was out there.
Turkey Creek is still around?
BobbyM
1/25/2018 8:03am
MW19 wrote:
Carlsbad.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2671st
1/25/2018 8:17am
Not moto, but in 1990 and 1991 an AMA Roadrace National was held on the streets of downtown Miami. Easily the most sketchy track I ever raced on, most corners had no run off, curbs, raised manhole covers, buildings etc... super sketch Blink
dimetime
1/25/2018 8:23am Edited Date/Time 1/25/2018 8:25am
Corona raceway night moto.

Lighting was terrible and it was dusty as hell.

Like riding half the track with your eyes closed.
omalley
1/25/2018 8:25am
Not exactly a track, but a place where many of the local racers went to get some time in. There was a place off I-5 in WA in Marysville that had a ton of natural sand whoops, berms, and some natural terrain to jump. Unfortunately after about noon, all the sketchy folks came out in their buggies, quads and pickups...in the few years we rode their, my dad got hit by a gal on a banshee with no brakes (coming out of s blind trail right into his side WFO...did I mention no brakes), as well as almost taking a pickup head-on.
The other problem was when a bunch of folks (usually local racers) would all agree on a “track” (linking a bunch of berms together, etc) only to have some moron go the opposite way.
1/25/2018 8:29am
MW19 wrote:
Dogwood Hollow, maybe?
NJKawi913
1/25/2018 8:31am
Gotham MX in NY. It is built into the side of a mountain, and this place is actually pretty fun if your the only bike on the track. The amount of loose shale and rocks make riding behind anyone flat out dangerous as they launch rock shaped missles at you.
ZM956
1/25/2018 8:38am
bball35 wrote:
Turkey Creek is still around?
Haha yeah I guess. Matter of fact I saw where Donnie from Moto-Vated is going to be prepping Turkey Creek this weekend for open practice and its also going to be where the first round of the beat the heat series will be. I know, shocker.

Post a reply to: What is the most sketchy track you have ever ridden?

The Latest