What makes a rider a goon?

Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
Edited Date/Time 11/24/2019 9:47pm
Just because people ride dirt bikes doesn’t mean we are all in the same club together. There are a few that stray from the norm. What makes a rider a goon?

1. Running your visor real low
2. Running your visor too high
3. My nephews have a signature move, they keep their goggles on their helmet (with low visor) and take the helmet on and off leaving said goggles on helmet at all times...
4. Running the mowhawk on your helmet is for sure a goon move

What are some other good ones that you guys see out there on the track?
|
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
11/18/2019 4:42am
Ramrod wrote:
Just because people ride dirt bikes doesn’t mean we are all in the same club together. There are a few that stray from the norm. What...
Just because people ride dirt bikes doesn’t mean we are all in the same club together. There are a few that stray from the norm. What makes a rider a goon?

3. My nephews have a signature move, they keep their goggles on their helmet (with low visor) and take the helmet on and off leaving said goggles on helmet at all times...

It's your fault that your nephews are goons. You have a moral obligation to set things right for them.

Or have you been pit'n on the opposite side of the track acting like you don't know them?
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
11/18/2019 4:44am
Ramrod wrote:
Just because people ride dirt bikes doesn’t mean we are all in the same club together. There are a few that stray from the norm. What...

Boomslang wrote:
It's your fault that your nephews are goons. You have a moral obligation to set things right for them. Or have you been pit'n on the...
It's your fault that your nephews are goons. You have a moral obligation to set things right for them.

Or have you been pit'n on the opposite side of the track acting like you don't know them?
Haha, I’ve tried. Can fix these boys.

They drop every helmet they’ve ever used and break the visor positioning part...

The Shop

mark_swart
11/18/2019 5:27am
I'd say there are two key elements:

1) Complete lack of bike control / skill (80%)
2) "The look" - no gear / incomplete gear, clapped out bike, etc. (20%)
Frodad78
11/18/2019 5:47am
Cross Jumping
Trying to win practice
Being a dick to younger (slower) riders
Not holding a line
Running red plates lol
TY838
11/18/2019 6:11am
Rupert X wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/11/18/385671/s1200_D5C56087_3CB4_4300_98F0_73D264C24326.jpg[/img]

Its interesting how this goon is showing pretty good form and clearly ahead of our Justin Cooper replica/wannabe layin in the dirt....the one thing that trumps pretty much all goony behavior is f'n winning
Uncle Tony
11/18/2019 6:13am
Back in the early 70’s you were a goon if

You did a cross up and weren’t in first, that was reserved for the leader, now kids in last are pulling sick whips

Putting numbers on your bike when you never hit a race, numbers were for guys that actually raced, now you have professional practice Joe’s that never hit a race
11/18/2019 6:28am
Low visor
Goggle strap low down the helmet & twisted
Trashed bike
Spoke skins
Insulation tape for numbers

And that type of rider still beats me Laughing
DAG
11/18/2019 6:33am
An overly aggresive spode
JM485
11/18/2019 6:35am
Uncle Tony wrote:
Back in the early 70’s you were a goon if You did a cross up and weren’t in first, that was reserved for the leader, now...
Back in the early 70’s you were a goon if

You did a cross up and weren’t in first, that was reserved for the leader, now kids in last are pulling sick whips

Putting numbers on your bike when you never hit a race, numbers were for guys that actually raced, now you have professional practice Joe’s that never hit a race
Hell ya, proud member of the goon brigade here! I'll throw whips all day long after finishing around 7th place on the off chance that I actually race, might even do a totally sick no footer or double can at the finish depending on how goonish I'm feeling. Aside from that I'm winning practice days left and right and not giving a shit what pretentious racing douchebags think as they go for their coveted local championship in the 30+ Vet B class and the immense glory that comes with it.
Uncle Tony
11/18/2019 6:38am Edited Date/Time 11/18/2019 6:49am
JM485 wrote:
Hell ya, proud member of the goon brigade here! I'll throw whips all day long after finishing around 7th place on the off chance that I...
Hell ya, proud member of the goon brigade here! I'll throw whips all day long after finishing around 7th place on the off chance that I actually race, might even do a totally sick no footer or double can at the finish depending on how goonish I'm feeling. Aside from that I'm winning practice days left and right and not giving a shit what pretentious racing douchebags think as they go for their coveted local championship in the 30+ Vet B class and the immense glory that comes with it.
You’re the man! Lol

Oh and thanks for the compliment, it’s 60 plus championship, I wish it was the 30 plus vet b
11/18/2019 6:44am
Riding around the pits with your helmet resting on top your head while smoking a camel light.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
11/18/2019 6:50am
I saw a guy at our local sand track wearing mechanics overalls. Turns out he was really fast but first impression was goon.
FWYT
11/18/2019 7:09am
Putting a full moto on a bike while it is on the stand in the pits.
JM485
11/18/2019 7:24am
Uncle Tony wrote:
You’re the man! Lol

Oh and thanks for the compliment, it’s 60 plus championship, I wish it was the 30 plus vet b
Haha all good man, I’m just messing with you. It just blows my mind how intense people get about that crap, who cares just ride!
Titan1
11/18/2019 7:26am Edited Date/Time 11/18/2019 8:41am
Biggest goon move I can think of...away from the bike, talking like you’re the baddest dude on a bike ("I'm wide open everywhere!" "...I was wide open down this straight, full on rail a corner, scrub a double...")...leading people to believe you're fast. But on the track, no skill, no speed, no technique. The fast dudes never talk themselves up...and then surprise people with their speed. Goons always talk themselves up...and then surprise people with their lack of it.

It’s always better to let people think you’re slow, and surprise them...than to make people think you’re fast, and surprise them.
Uncle Tony
11/18/2019 7:34am
JM485 wrote:
Haha all good man, I’m just messing with you. It just blows my mind how intense people get about that crap, who cares just ride!
It’s all in good fun JM
byke
11/18/2019 7:35am
+1 to spoke skins.

On Craigslist, I always get a chuckle when someone has the number 007/69/420/666 and the bike comes with a free paddle tire.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
11/18/2019 7:40am
Titan1 wrote:
Biggest goon move I can think of...away from the bike, talking like you’re the baddest dude on a bike ("I'm wide open everywhere!" "...I was wide...
Biggest goon move I can think of...away from the bike, talking like you’re the baddest dude on a bike ("I'm wide open everywhere!" "...I was wide open down this straight, full on rail a corner, scrub a double...")...leading people to believe you're fast. But on the track, no skill, no speed, no technique. The fast dudes never talk themselves up...and then surprise people with their speed. Goons always talk themselves up...and then surprise people with their lack of it.

It’s always better to let people think you’re slow, and surprise them...than to make people think you’re fast, and surprise them.
I think you are right here.

I knew a guy my buddy brought with for a riding trip who was always talking about his bike settings and changing parts etc... super slow rider. He didn’t even make his suspension move enough to warrant changing clickers haha
JeepnMike
11/18/2019 7:43am
Can't believe how much visors and stickers are mentioned here, but no mention about elbows down. That is clue #1.
Titan1
11/18/2019 8:46am Edited Date/Time 11/18/2019 11:32am
Titan1 wrote:
Biggest goon move I can think of...away from the bike, talking like you’re the baddest dude on a bike ("I'm wide open everywhere!" "...I was wide...

Ramrod wrote:
I think you are right here. I knew a guy my buddy brought with for a riding trip who was always talking about his bike settings...
I think you are right here.

I knew a guy my buddy brought with for a riding trip who was always talking about his bike settings and changing parts etc... super slow rider. He didn’t even make his suspension move enough to warrant changing clickers haha
I've got probably 500 stories about riders that talk off the track like they're the man...and can't ride.

I have no issue at all with guys that are slow (guys like you are talking about, not fast enough to move the suspension). More power to them! I think its awesome they are out there (because there are a lot of guys who consider me slow). I just take issue when they are talking to guys at work, who know nothing about the sport, and make it sound like they are Ryan Dungey. Be humble, be willing to learn.

If a guy comes out all talk...faster dudes make fun of him....but if that same guy comes out, and is humble, and acknowledges and is realistic about his ability, faster guys want to help him, and will encourage him.
FerCzD
11/18/2019 8:51am
Rock, Punk, Metal band stickers covering every space of the number plates

Post a reply to: What makes a rider a goon?

The Latest