What's the next big step for SX???

MxPro318
2/22/2013 7:36pm Edited Date/Time 2/23/2013 3:44pm
Is it just me or are all these stadiums of old really not working well for the modern bikes? In the day of two stokes these same stadiums seemed plenty big and provided amazing racing, but now with the bikes as fast as they are it really seems like we need another level. IMO and from what I hear (rider interviews ect.) all the tracks have been pretty tight as well as fairly one lined. I understand there is a fine line you do not want to cross in making the tracks too outdoors like, but I would love to see more Vegas sized events with inside and out track layouts in the future. These bikes appear to need a few more feet nearly everywhere and I feel as if the racing has suffered as a result. What do you some of you think? Oh and please don't take this in anyway as me bashing SX or what they have done with it, I respect all involved greatly both riders and staff.
|
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2425th
2/22/2013 7:40pm
Go the path of Arenacross and make the whole show 250F only! or find bigger stadiums.

Some of Kdubs, transfers show how big the jumps need to be to challenge a 450. He can jump from the back of a berm on another one, open the throttle in a 60 foot run up to the face of a jump and jump 120 feet, or half the length of the track.

It is actually scary to think of how big the jumps and obstacles would need to be to see the full potential of a 450 supercross bike on a supercross track!
Frank
2/22/2013 7:57pm
Feld should build dedicated outdoor sx facilities. Buy the land, pave the parking lots, build the grandstands, etc. This is a warm weather sport. SX only teams. Keep it all in the south/west. Let the outdoors die off or leave it for beginners pre RC road to sx arenacross series.
Crush
2/22/2013 8:03pm
aaryn #234 wrote:
Go the path of Arenacross and make the whole show 250F only! or find bigger stadiums. Some of Kdubs, transfers show how big the jumps need...
Go the path of Arenacross and make the whole show 250F only! or find bigger stadiums.

Some of Kdubs, transfers show how big the jumps need to be to challenge a 450. He can jump from the back of a berm on another one, open the throttle in a 60 foot run up to the face of a jump and jump 120 feet, or half the length of the track.

It is actually scary to think of how big the jumps and obstacles would need to be to see the full potential of a 450 supercross bike on a supercross track!
Jeff Stanton agrees...

I know 450s are awesome bikes, but they seriously can accelerate ridiculously quick for a stadium... Sure the pros are going fast on em, but the racing has suffered... No one makes mistakes except for when they crash, cause the tractable power of the bikes is so damn good.

Ping said about as much this week in Ask Ping too...

Bring back 2 strokes and mid 90s-2005 tracks...
2/22/2013 8:16pm
If we can bring JLaw back we can bring the two stroke back!

The Shop

yz414
2/22/2013 8:27pm
throttle stops and supermoto tires
sdfog1
2/22/2013 8:33pm
Gator pits. Rings o' fire. Live bears roaming the track. All that jazz.
JustMX
2/22/2013 8:34pm
restrictor plate racing
norcal3737
2/22/2013 8:39pm
Just lower the CC's in both classes. It's evident the 450 is just too much bike for the current arenas. 250cc for the premier class is all thats needed, imo.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
2/22/2013 8:46pm
Putting Vital MX members in charge of running the races. They might discover that it's not as easy as it looks.
2/22/2013 8:50pm
There should be a six lap buddy race after the mains for points that groups the 1st place guy with the 20th place guy...and so on.
zehn
2/22/2013 9:09pm
Starting holding SX races in soccer stadiums. Or cricket stadiums for the Euros. They are much larger I believe
malachi177
2/22/2013 10:05pm
Frank wrote:
Feld should build dedicated outdoor sx facilities. Buy the land, pave the parking lots, build the grandstands, etc. This is a warm weather sport. SX only...
Feld should build dedicated outdoor sx facilities. Buy the land, pave the parking lots, build the grandstands, etc. This is a warm weather sport. SX only teams. Keep it all in the south/west. Let the outdoors die off or leave it for beginners pre RC road to sx arenacross series.
Let the outdoor Nationals die off? You're crazy Frank!!
Zracer
2/22/2013 11:22pm
Frank wrote:
Feld should build dedicated outdoor sx facilities. Buy the land, pave the parking lots, build the grandstands, etc. This is a warm weather sport. SX only...
Yeah Frank thats realistic. Thanks for playing "What is the craziest shit you can think of".
Fat Fingers
2/23/2013 1:18am
Citycross. Blocking a major city like they do in F1' taking up 3miles of city streets, dumping a million tonnes of dirt. Millions of dollars in prize money, all major tv networks wanting to broadcast.

Who wants to promote this?
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
2/23/2013 1:39am
MxPro318 wrote:
Is it just me or are all these stadiums of old really not working well for the modern bikes? In the day of two stokes these...
Is it just me or are all these stadiums of old really not working well for the modern bikes? In the day of two stokes these same stadiums seemed plenty big and provided amazing racing, but now with the bikes as fast as they are it really seems like we need another level. IMO and from what I hear (rider interviews ect.) all the tracks have been pretty tight as well as fairly one lined. I understand there is a fine line you do not want to cross in making the tracks too outdoors like, but I would love to see more Vegas sized events with inside and out track layouts in the future. These bikes appear to need a few more feet nearly everywhere and I feel as if the racing has suffered as a result. What do you some of you think? Oh and please don't take this in anyway as me bashing SX or what they have done with it, I respect all involved greatly both riders and staff.
I understand your concept and topic, However, I'm going to play devil's advocate here. The 90's era( and early 2000's) were fairly well dominated by McGrath and RC. Those days in SX seemed more predictable, I felt confident that I knew whose was going to win and, for the most part, they did. This year is one of the most unpredictable years in recent memory. I get ready to watch on Saturday nights to see not only whose gong to win but see who does and doesn't even qualify for that matter. Therefore, I would argue that the racing now is better, more exciting and overall more fun to watch.
burnside
2/23/2013 2:44am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2013 2:45am
Citycross. Blocking a major city like they do in F1' taking up 3miles of city streets, dumping a million tonnes of dirt. Millions of dollars in...
Citycross. Blocking a major city like they do in F1' taking up 3miles of city streets, dumping a million tonnes of dirt. Millions of dollars in prize money, all major tv networks wanting to broadcast.

Who wants to promote this?
I always thought that would be an epic Redbull event.... imagine a whole downtown block covered in dirt and triples... haha
2/23/2013 4:00am
Frank wrote:
Moto is a warm weather sport? SX only teams? Events only in the south/west?

2/23/2013 4:01am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2013 4:02am
sdfog1 wrote:
Gator pits. Rings o' fire. Live bears roaming the track. All that jazz.
and live rattlesnakes roaming the stands.
2/23/2013 4:04am
GuyB wrote:
Putting Vital MX members in charge of running the races. They might discover that it's not as easy as it looks.
Ok Steve, riddle me this. Why have tracks seemed a little off this year? Is there a reason Feld is avoiding the rider-designed tracks, because many of those were pretty awesome.
AS64
Fantasy
2062nd
2/23/2013 4:36am
GuyB wrote:
WhKnuckle
2/23/2013 5:57am
A long time ago we raced 500s in stadiums. Then somewhere along the line, people starting thinking that wasn't a very good idea. Now we're doing the same thing. "Those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
2/23/2013 6:16am
Ok Steve, riddle me this. Why have tracks seemed a little off this year? Is there a reason Feld is avoiding the rider-designed tracks, because many...
Ok Steve, riddle me this. Why have tracks seemed a little off this year? Is there a reason Feld is avoiding the rider-designed tracks, because many of those were pretty awesome.
Off how? Of course I'm not riding them, but from my seat they look a whole lot like last year's tracks.

It's been what...five years since they did the rider-designed tracks?

Just to throw my two cents worth in here, of those, Travis Pastrana's was by far the best. But a couple of the sections of that one were amazingly one-lined.
umagumadog
2/23/2013 6:47am
I say we add side hacks but with lions instead of monkeys.

2/23/2013 8:54am
I enjoyed the LA coliseum track with uphills & downills. That must take a lot of dirt though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl3_2InPd3o

To cross the starting grid once of twice is already great.

I agree with GuyB about the rider-designed tracks, especially Pastrana's & some very technical/not dangerous obtacles.

Limited power like in WRC? Not sure

The side car with Lion may not see 20 guys and the complete public at the finish line Smile
MR. X
2/23/2013 9:12am
Frank wrote:
I was gonna say to only race outdoors , but only on the east coast and let supercross die out.
Husqerdo
2/23/2013 9:24am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2013 9:27am
Frank wrote:
Hey Frankie, I'll buy you a beer at Millville this summer, then we can talk about it!
Even better I'll buy you a beer at the Dome in a couple weeks, take your pick, I know you will be at both!
Oh, and also, nice avatar, ain't it the truth.
2/23/2013 10:01am
They need to use the WHOLE floor.

Put up some nets so guys don't fly into the stands....

get a special crane to carry injured riders off the track instead of the Mule...

and 250s only ain't a bad idea.

Kinda like Frank said, I've been thinking a unique SX round out in the desert somewhere, like a more supercrossy Pala or something, would be really cool. 1:30 lap times, just the ultimate SX track.

Or a 1000 ft. long, super complex rhythm section. Each rider gets three runs at it, fastest time of the day gets a prize. Sideways
bvm111
2/23/2013 12:01pm
Frank wrote:
god you're an idiot
MXMattii
2/23/2013 12:11pm
More races outside the USA and races outside North America! Examples: Germany, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Russia, Sweden, China, Japan, India, ...

Post a reply to: What's the next big step for SX???

The Latest