What's the story behind MXvsATV Rev ?

Pretty sure some of you harcorde gamers remember a version made back in the day called Rev. It was made using Unleashed as a base but, what's the story behind it? Was it a mode mad by a fan? Was it supported by Rainbow?

I remember I played it a bit but I was young enough to not remember anything more so I am now just curious to know more about that proyect.

Unleashed vid:
|
Motofinne
5/1/2020 1:31pm
Mod made by the nickname Messiah. I was so young at the time it got released but the hype was massive, i'm sure there are people here that know more about the background.
5/1/2020 2:08pm
Yeah it was just a fan made physics mod. But it was awesome, felt much more realistic, bike didnt float so high, etc. It got really good when people starting making tracks specifically for the mod. I still have the files on my google drive if anyone wants them.
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
5/1/2020 3:37pm
I believe Rainbow didnt support it but didnt shut it down either. John van de Lest (Messiah) and company were allowed to ask for donations but couldny charge for it either as they were modifying an existing game.

Physics were great. Loved that game and the custom tracks made it even better. This is me bragging but I was probably the best dude with those physics. I won the last (probably only) ational series that was raced.
aeffertz
5/1/2020 3:55pm
Yeah it was just a fan made physics mod. But it was awesome, felt much more realistic, bike didnt float so high, etc. It got really...
Yeah it was just a fan made physics mod. But it was awesome, felt much more realistic, bike didnt float so high, etc. It got really good when people starting making tracks specifically for the mod. I still have the files on my google drive if anyone wants them.
It looks like you got WAY more airtime with this mode. Dude practically clears an entire section right out of a 180 degree turn. Unleashed was floaty but you couldn’t do stuff like that.

The Shop

mx 219
Fantasy
974th
5/1/2020 7:49pm
Yeah it was just a fan made physics mod. But it was awesome, felt much more realistic, bike didnt float so high, etc. It got really...
aeffertz wrote:
It looks like you got WAY more airtime with this mode. Dude practically clears an entire section right out of a 180 degree turn. Unleashed was...
It looks like you got WAY more airtime with this mode. Dude practically clears an entire section right out of a 180 degree turn. Unleashed was floaty but you couldn’t do stuff like that.
Im watching those videos and I question whether they were actually REV physics or not, especially the video with the Yamaha.

Here is one of the better guys that raced doing a hotlap at a track. REV to me felt like the bike was heavier, couldn't sail as much as Unleashed. I liked both a lot, I was very good at both, but REV was more realistic. Maybe it wasn't as realistic as it seemed at the time, but the REV add on did come out in either late 2009 or early 2010.

foreman52
Fantasy
3178th
5/1/2020 8:06pm
Never got to play REV or Unleashed on PC, but damn was this game good. I don’t know how my PS2 never burst into flames with the amount of hours between this game and MTX Mototrax.
5/1/2020 8:30pm
aeffertz wrote:
It looks like you got WAY more airtime with this mode. Dude practically clears an entire section right out of a 180 degree turn. Unleashed was...
mx 219 wrote:
Im watching those videos and I question whether they were actually REV physics or not, especially the video with the Yamaha. Here is one of the...
Im watching those videos and I question whether they were actually REV physics or not, especially the video with the Yamaha.

Here is one of the better guys that raced doing a hotlap at a track. REV to me felt like the bike was heavier, couldn't sail as much as Unleashed. I liked both a lot, I was very good at both, but REV was more realistic. Maybe it wasn't as realistic as it seemed at the time, but the REV add on did come out in either late 2009 or early 2010.

Yeah there was a very noticeable difference in airtime, and I can tell for sure in your video that is indeed REV physics. I liked both as well but once tailor-made REV tracks came out, I was absolutely hooked on those. Jagmstr`s outdoor tracks, while not made for REV, ended up being perfect for it.
aeffertz
5/1/2020 8:50pm
mx 219 wrote:
Im watching those videos and I question whether they were actually REV physics or not, especially the video with the Yamaha. Here is one of the...

Okay, yeah I only watched that first Yamaha video and it seemed more floaty or the bike was faster or something. That video definitely looks better.
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
5/1/2020 10:12pm
Jvdl the creator or main face of the mod is still one of the most talented and well rounded creators I’ve ever seen and I worked at Rainbow. Compared to the stock game, it was way more challenging and gravity was increased along with slip to make riding way more real. It was a passion project from what I understand. I’ll try to track John down to comment as I need to connect with him anyways as it’s been too long.
5/2/2020 7:29am
foreman52 wrote:
Never got to play REV or Unleashed on PC, but damn was this game good. I don’t know how my PS2 never burst into flames with...
Never got to play REV or Unleashed on PC, but damn was this game good. I don’t know how my PS2 never burst into flames with the amount of hours between this game and MTX Mototrax.
MTX Mototrax, what a game. I think I prefered that to MX Unleashed.
Cortami79
5/2/2020 8:36am
Jvdl the creator or main face of the mod is still one of the most talented and well rounded creators I’ve ever seen and I worked...
Jvdl the creator or main face of the mod is still one of the most talented and well rounded creators I’ve ever seen and I worked at Rainbow. Compared to the stock game, it was way more challenging and gravity was increased along with slip to make riding way more real. It was a passion project from what I understand. I’ll try to track John down to comment as I need to connect with him anyways as it’s been too long.
Great! Let us know how he is doing. He should update mx simulator or help updating mx bikesWoohoo
5/2/2020 4:25pm
Jvdl the creator or main face of the mod is still one of the most talented and well rounded creators I’ve ever seen and I worked...
Cortami79 wrote:
Great! Let us know how he is doing. He should update mx simulator or help updating mx bikesWoohoo
MX Simulator is JLV I think? Not jvdl, unless they're the same person of course.
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
5/2/2020 4:53pm Edited Date/Time 5/2/2020 4:53pm
Cortami79 wrote:
MX Simulator is JLV I think? Not jvdl, unless they're the same person of course.
Different guys
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
5/2/2020 8:42pm
Jvdl saw the post and was pumped. Surprised he didn’t jump in. I worked a lot with JLV in mxs and even hosted a track comp there that jvdl entered and he’s won some. Different guys for sure. Ones a programmer with a bit of art knowledge and the other is an artist with a bit of programmer skill
Grizz
5/2/2020 9:42pm
Upload them for sure! I was bummed a few weeks ago when I couldn’t find a link.
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
5/3/2020 7:39am
Grizz wrote:
Upload them for sure! I was bummed a few weeks ago when I couldn’t find a link.
If you download Rev get Millville, Red Bud, Unadilla they are good tracks to race. You can not make Laroccos leap on a 250 or even 450 though.
mojoman42
5/3/2020 5:58pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2020 6:04pm
Jvdl put Rev together, but I believe Cytreen and Joao (sp?) were responsible for creating the actual sim physics mod that it used; I remember beta testing it with them way back in the day. The physics mod released on its own before Rev did.

Post a reply to: What's the story behind MXvsATV Rev ?

The Latest