Where Bubba came from...

Sierra Ranger
This is an older video, but around the 7 minute mark they start talking about where Bubba came from. His mom worked at a gas station and Big James at a Coca Cola bottling plant.
How many sports can take people from near-poverty to multi-millionaire? When they show his background, it explains so much about this man's drive to win (win or die trying). It's truly an amazing story, when you think about it. Inspiring.

|
Spudnut
5/23/2020 10:33pm
“ How many sports can take people from near-poverty to multi-millionaire?” About 85% of them
5/23/2020 10:39pm
James was solid middle-class growing up with an intact family. But that doesn't make for a good story.
Sierra Ranger
5/23/2020 10:59pm
These two responses show he is still dealing with jealousy. And lesser-thans that think they occupy the same Universe. I don't think you can hype JS7's story too much. And go back to your troll-holes. Grinning
Sierra Ranger
5/23/2020 11:02pm
Spudnut wrote:
“ How many sports can take people from near-poverty to multi-millionaire?” About 85% of them
I expected that response- but if you take basketball, for instance, there is a government-sanctioned path to success through school programs, college scholarships and a sophisticated and well-developed recruiting system focused on just this type of individual in particular (black athletes from humble backgrounds). There is nothing like that for moto- just pinning it, and knowing you're the best. And that is what is amazing about Bubba's story.

The Shop

Looby321
5/24/2020 4:32am
I expected that response- but if you take basketball, for instance, there is a government-sanctioned path to success through school programs, college scholarships and a sophisticated...
I expected that response- but if you take basketball, for instance, there is a government-sanctioned path to success through school programs, college scholarships and a sophisticated and well-developed recruiting system focused on just this type of individual in particular (black athletes from humble backgrounds). There is nothing like that for moto- just pinning it, and knowing you're the best. And that is what is amazing about Bubba's story.
Gov’t sanctioned path? Explain Lebron James then.
5/24/2020 4:44am
Yeah...... I'm gonna go ahead and say that stick and ball sports that don't require tens of thousands of dollars a year to compete are probably going to produce more "rags to riches" stories than dirt bike racing. Of course there will be exceptions, but for the most part motor sports at a competitive level are inherently cost prohibitive to most families.
stremme12
Fantasy
3693rd
5/24/2020 5:59am
Spudnut wrote:
I expected that response- but if you take basketball, for instance, there is a government-sanctioned path to success through school programs, college scholarships and a sophisticated...
Regardless off all that it's still a sport than can take you from poverty to a millionaire which is the question you did indeed ask.
resetjet
5/24/2020 6:02am
Go to the Dominican republic. The kids play baseball with trash for bases, a stick and a ball of tape. They are pretty good at it too. They know its the only path out.
KX500
5/24/2020 6:09am
stremme12 wrote:
Regardless off all that it's still a sport than can take you from poverty to a millionaire which is the question you did indeed ask.
I would argue the exact opposite - nobody near poverty can race motocross.

Football/Basketball/Baseball & others have school sponsored programs that you can participate in for free or next to it.

The biggest hurdle with these is having the right body size and the talent (I had neither) - but not extra money.

But no one (outside of family) is going to help you start racing motocross. You have to prove you're worth being sponsored before getting financial backing.

And how would someone near poverty, who can't afford the costs, go about doing that?

stremme12
Fantasy
3693rd
5/24/2020 6:19am Edited Date/Time 5/24/2020 6:20am
stremme12 wrote:
KX500 wrote:
I would argue the exact opposite - nobody near poverty can race motocross. Football/Basketball/Baseball & others have school sponsored programs that you can participate in for...
I would argue the exact opposite - nobody near poverty can race motocross.

Football/Basketball/Baseball & others have school sponsored programs that you can participate in for free or next to it.

The biggest hurdle with these is having the right body size and the talent (I had neither) - but not extra money.

But no one (outside of family) is going to help you start racing motocross. You have to prove you're worth being sponsored before getting financial backing.

And how would someone near poverty, who can't afford the costs, go about doing that?

I'm not sure if you meant to quote me as we were talking about specifically basketball. Not motocross.
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
5/24/2020 7:46am
I think one of the most interesting things about most of these athletes that rise through poverty or a hard childhood is how many of them have successful kids that follow in their path. Or for that matter, any elite pro athlete's kids. Most dont wind up being successful following their parent's same path.
mxb2
5/24/2020 7:52am
Nobody racing dirtbikes.is poor
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
5/24/2020 8:15am
Soccer (aka football), Rugby, American Football, Basketball, and baseball are all inherently easier to make it from extreme poverty to millionaire because the barriers to entry are so low, and the amount of high paying opportunities are greater. There's simply a lower cost of entry and a much higher GDP in each sport, which results in more higher paying opportunities. The rags to riches stories in those sports are exponential. I get the OPs point, and think that it was absolutely great that James (and Mookie) were able to make it in our sport. But thinking that the barrier to entry in motocross is low financially and the amount of high earning potential, is a complete farce. This sport has a very high cost of entry with limited opportunities, and the number of talented riders that end up making millions is very few. Seriously, there are some insanely talented riders in our sport that never earn a nickel of positive income (make more money than their expenses) from it. I actually find it more remarkable that the Stewarts were able to make it, which is a testament to their talent, family commitment, and frankly just good old fashioned hard work.
visser62
5/24/2020 8:33am
Deshaun Watson didn't have a bed and had to sleep on the floor every night before he went to Clemson.
5/24/2020 8:41am
I would venture to bet that the majority of professionally paid athletes throughout the world come from some form of poverty, or close to it.

I would also venture to bet that anybody who is spending their weekend racing dirt bikes is not in poverty. They might be poor, but they’re not impoverished. Those people play futbol.
RadDadChad
5/24/2020 8:51am
Looby321 wrote:
I dont believe players can skip college anymore but yes Leneon is an exception to any rule lol
Skuzzy29
5/24/2020 8:56am
visser62 wrote:
Deshaun Watson didn't have a bed and had to sleep on the floor every night before he went to Clemson.
Josh Jacobs was homeless, sleeping in a car with his Dad. Now he's the starting running back for the Raiders!
mb60
5/24/2020 12:21pm
About 90 percent of the NBA is poverty kids that was accepted at prep schools because they had the talent.
5/24/2020 1:44pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2020 1:56pm
Looby321 wrote:
RadDadChad wrote:
I dont believe players can skip college anymore but yes Leneon is an exception to any rule lol
Ok. Then Brandon Jennings, who was not even remotely a major pro star in the sport, made $44M without going the "gov't sanctioned" path.
SEEMEFIRST
5/24/2020 2:03pm
TbonesPop wrote:
Soccer (aka football), Rugby, American Football, Basketball, and baseball are all inherently easier to make it from extreme poverty to millionaire because the barriers to entry...
Soccer (aka football), Rugby, American Football, Basketball, and baseball are all inherently easier to make it from extreme poverty to millionaire because the barriers to entry are so low, and the amount of high paying opportunities are greater. There's simply a lower cost of entry and a much higher GDP in each sport, which results in more higher paying opportunities. The rags to riches stories in those sports are exponential. I get the OPs point, and think that it was absolutely great that James (and Mookie) were able to make it in our sport. But thinking that the barrier to entry in motocross is low financially and the amount of high earning potential, is a complete farce. This sport has a very high cost of entry with limited opportunities, and the number of talented riders that end up making millions is very few. Seriously, there are some insanely talented riders in our sport that never earn a nickel of positive income (make more money than their expenses) from it. I actually find it more remarkable that the Stewarts were able to make it, which is a testament to their talent, family commitment, and frankly just good old fashioned hard work.
Put 2 kids through Academy then select.
Soccer isn't cheap, maybe not moto money, but you aren't going to do it being impoverished without sponsors.
Then look at how many pro teams are out there, and they don't have 53 man rosters. There are 690 players currently.
Then look at the salaries. The average base is about $345k. Very few are millionaires.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
5/24/2020 2:25pm
TbonesPop wrote:
Soccer (aka football), Rugby, American Football, Basketball, and baseball are all inherently easier to make it from extreme poverty to millionaire because the barriers to entry...
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Put 2 kids through Academy then select. Soccer isn't cheap, maybe not moto money, but you aren't going to do it being impoverished without sponsors. Then...
Soccer isn't cheap, maybe not moto money, but you aren't going to do it being impoverished without sponsors.
Then look at how many pro teams are out there, and they don't have 53 man rosters. There are 690 players currently.
Then look at the salaries. The average base is about $345k. Very few are millionaires.
You're thinking is based on what you see here in the USA or in prominent European countries. Go spend some time in Africa, or Central America, or South America and tell me how that sport doesn't elevate a talented but poor kids standard of living. Sports in the US have not always be what it is today with traveling all over the US for tournaments, etc (nor does it need to be). It got that way because it turned into a business. You will have more millionaires playing in an international soccer game (two teams combined on the field) than you will have in all of the MX at any one time. I'm not really a soccer fan either, I played rugby growing up and through college. But I fully acknowledge its a low cost of barrier of entry. Hell, half the kids playing soccer in poor African countries don't even wear shoes.
5/24/2020 2:31pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2020 2:32pm
TbonesPop wrote:
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Put 2 kids through Academy then select. Soccer isn't cheap, maybe not moto money, but you aren't going to do it being impoverished without sponsors. Then...
TbonesPop wrote:
You're thinking is based on what you see here in the USA or in prominent European countries. Go spend some time in Africa, or Central America...
You're thinking is based on what you see here in the USA or in prominent European countries. Go spend some time in Africa, or Central America, or South America and tell me how that sport doesn't elevate a talented but poor kids standard of living. Sports in the US have not always be what it is today with traveling all over the US for tournaments, etc (nor does it need to be). It got that way because it turned into a business. You will have more millionaires playing in an international soccer game (two teams combined on the field) than you will have in all of the MX at any one time. I'm not really a soccer fan either, I played rugby growing up and through college. But I fully acknowledge its a low cost of barrier of entry. Hell, half the kids playing soccer in poor African countries don't even wear shoes.
Yup. How much money has Cristiano Ronaldo made, and where did he come from comparative to Bubba?
Nairb#70
5/24/2020 2:38pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2020 2:46pm
Anyone ever hear of a guy named Doug Henry, every assumption and pre- determined conclusion in this thread he broke and ignored. No one ever mentioned anything about needing to be wealthy or a rich kid to be a 3 time national MX champ to him. I would never call anyone "poor", but if its the opposite of being a spoiled brat, well then.........

BobbyM
5/24/2020 2:55pm
Spudnut wrote:
Yes or more But, very few sports can make you a millionaire before you're 18 years old like MX/SX can.
BobbyM
5/24/2020 2:56pm
visser62 wrote:
Skuzzy29 wrote:
Josh Jacobs was homeless, sleeping in a car with his Dad. Now he's the starting running back for the Raiders!
2020 world champion RAIDERS...
5/24/2020 3:02pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2020 3:05pm
Spudnut wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
Yes or more But, very few sports can make you a millionaire before you're 18 years old like MX/SX can.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNayhPGo0Dw

"Do you think Shaq got rich playing in Orlando ?"

"No, he got rich playing in college. Everybody knows that."
hanzhongluboy
5/24/2020 3:29pm
This is an older video, but around the 7 minute mark they start talking about where Bubba came from. His mom worked at a gas station...
This is an older video, but around the 7 minute mark they start talking about where Bubba came from. His mom worked at a gas station and Big James at a Coca Cola bottling plant.
How many sports can take people from near-poverty to multi-millionaire? When they show his background, it explains so much about this man's drive to win (win or die trying). It's truly an amazing story, when you think about it. Inspiring.

Probably any sport besides lax or equestrian/ polo. MX is probably the least likely to lead to rags to riches due to the high cost of the sport. JS7 def the exception.
SEEMEFIRST
5/24/2020 4:33pm
TbonesPop wrote:
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
TbonesPop wrote:
You're thinking is based on what you see here in the USA or in prominent European countries. Go spend some time in Africa, or Central America...
Of course I am talking about the U.S. because, well, that is where Bubba is from.
You can't really compare U.S. soccer to "international", and you'll notice that there aren't a lot of Americans playing in The Premier League, Bundesliga, etc.

What you will find is that the millionaires you spoke about played a shit ton of Academy soccer, and likely on more than one Jr. team at a time. Expensive.

After 50 years being involved in the sport one way or another, I have learned a little about it.

Post a reply to: Where Bubba came from...

The Latest