Which way is this rider whipping?

Racer111
10/10/2019 12:42pm
Zacka 161 wrote:
Literally you are turning the bike left. You don’t talk about speed way riders turning the direction of their rear wheel or whatever. Compare it to...
Literally you are turning the bike left. You don’t talk about speed way riders turning the direction of their rear wheel or whatever.

Compare it to a straight jump. The bike is rotated left. Obviously flat as well but left, the bike if it was upright is now fallen over to the left side. Thee difference between a turn up, turn down and regular whip is the position of the fulcrum in two axis.

But yeah it’s a whip left - is he ‘whipping it to the left’ or something, to me that just weird and makes it sound like you jump straight whip your but and the bike to one side and wahla a whip to the right. A whip is more influences by the direction no leaning setup on the ramp which is all left.

Unless you are doing butt whips only this is left
The question was not which way is the rider turning on the face of the jump. The question is which way is the bike being whipped...
The question was not which way is the rider turning on the face of the jump. The question is which way is the bike being whipped. It's pretty simple. It's about weight positioning. You can go perfectly straight off a jump and whip the bike out in either direction with no turning involved. Back end of the bike goes to the right from the center point. That's considered whipping it to the right. Pretty basic stuff yet somehow 220 people at this point can't grasp the concept.
I said the same thing. The ass of the bike is going to the right. Those 220 people are still trying to figure out how to whip a bike at all.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
207th
10/10/2019 12:50pm
Racer111 wrote:
I said the same thing. The ass of the bike is going to the right. Those 220 people are still trying to figure out how to...
I said the same thing. The ass of the bike is going to the right. Those 220 people are still trying to figure out how to whip a bike at all.
So you consider this a 360 to the right?

Mr. Afterbar
10/10/2019 12:53pm Edited Date/Time 10/10/2019 12:54pm
Racer111 wrote:
I said the same thing. The ass of the bike is going to the right. Those 220 people are still trying to figure out how to...
crusty_xx wrote:
So you consider this a 360 to the right? [img]http://cdn.coresites.factorymedia.com/dirtde/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/360_Sequenz.jpg[/img]

We aren't talking about leaning, turning, hips, scrubs, snowboarding, skateboarding, or 360's. Get over it. The worlds best rider at doing whips already chimed in, but what does he know? He's only the best in the world at it.
zehn
10/10/2019 1:04pm
Racer111 wrote:
You’re a complete retard. Whichever side of your body is pointed to the sky is the direction you whipped. In this case, the right side of...
You’re a complete retard. Whichever side of your body is pointed to the sky is the direction you whipped. In this case, the right side of the body is upward toward the sky. It’s whipped to the right. And you get the same answer whether you’re in front of him or behind him. End of discussion.
Well if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is

The Shop

Cliffy615
Fantasy
3109th
10/10/2019 1:23pm
The guy is whipping left, the tail end of the bike shoots out to the right.
I would say thats whipping to the left.
davis224
Fantasy
182nd
10/10/2019 1:24pm Edited Date/Time 10/10/2019 1:30pm
Racer111 wrote:
crusty_xx wrote:
So you consider this a 360 to the right? [img]http://cdn.coresites.factorymedia.com/dirtde/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/360_Sequenz.jpg[/img]

No, because you are basing it off of direction of rotation. That is a 360 to the left. A whip isn't just rotation, it is "whipping" the tail end of the bike around. You lean the bike left to whip the rear tire to the right.
davis224
Fantasy
182nd
10/10/2019 1:35pm
Cliffy615 wrote:
Would you say that you could also describe the tail end of the bike "shooting" out, as whipping out? Perhaps even more accurate? Because the tail end of the bike follows an arc out, stops, then comes back in the same direction? Like an actual whip does?
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
10/10/2019 2:00pm
bvm111 wrote:
well that's settled then! I would like to recommend we discuss "on the hole shot" as in, for example, I was third on the hole shot...
well that's settled then!

I would like to recommend we discuss "on the hole shot" as in, for example, I was third on the hole shot! Pinch

PinchPinch
Please don't get that started... That pisses me off so bad! Can't stand it
davis224
Fantasy
182nd
10/10/2019 2:03pm
I get that this is a bit more perspective based than an exact science, but everyone weighing in on this should also explain how they think a seat bounce works.
Racer111
10/10/2019 2:09pm
Racer111 wrote:
crusty_xx wrote:

We aren't talking about leaning, turning, hips, scrubs, snowboarding, skateboarding, or 360's. Get over it. The worlds best rider at doing whips already chimed in, but...
We aren't talking about leaning, turning, hips, scrubs, snowboarding, skateboarding, or 360's. Get over it. The worlds best rider at doing whips already chimed in, but what does he know? He's only the best in the world at it.
Right? One of the best in the world speaks and you STILL have people arguing that he is whipping left.
10/10/2019 3:34pm
What way are you carving off the lip of the jump you’re in? There’s your answer.
Zacka 161
Fantasy
1856th
10/10/2019 4:12pm
Cliffy615 wrote:
davis224 wrote:
Would you say that you could also describe the tail end of the bike "shooting" out, as whipping out? Perhaps even more accurate? Because the tail...
Would you say that you could also describe the tail end of the bike "shooting" out, as whipping out? Perhaps even more accurate? Because the tail end of the bike follows an arc out, stops, then comes back in the same direction? Like an actual whip does?
If you actually think of the term ‘whipping’ it’s even more clearly Left. If you grabbed a t shirt in your hand and whipped it left and right it’s quite clear which direction you are whipping the cloth.

This is the definition of whip. ‘move fast or suddenly in a specified direction.’

So based on the word Whip the Whip is the fast move. It’s quite clear here which direction the whip or fast move is in..... any guesses? Clearly left.

The bike is whipped to the left - by definition.

Zacka 161
Fantasy
1856th
10/10/2019 4:18pm
I'm not sure how anyone considers this whipping to the right. [img]https://i.gyazo.com/cefdc0125eb30f3b86473413c404bd5f.png[/img]
I'm not sure how anyone considers this whipping to the right.

It’s quite clear unless he jumped straight and whipped his but out to push the bike left.

But I would hazard a guess that the motion and action to end up in this position was a ‘whip’ to the right in the up ramp and continued in the air.

He is turned right, maybe he whipped it too far right and is looking to turn back left. Maybe even ‘whip’ the bike back left in order to correct that fact that his ‘whip’ was too hard to the right.

if we go by the English meaning of Whip then the whip is a fast move in a particular direction. In this case a fast move to the right is the whip action resulting in the whip visual we see here.

Unless in your mind you whip it right in order to whip it left.... which is just lets say a bit special
davis224
Fantasy
182nd
10/10/2019 5:15pm
Cliffy615 wrote:
davis224 wrote:
Would you say that you could also describe the tail end of the bike "shooting" out, as whipping out? Perhaps even more accurate? Because the tail...
Zacka 161 wrote:
If you actually think of the term ‘whipping’ it’s even more clearly Left. If you grabbed a t shirt in your hand and whipped it left...
If you actually think of the term ‘whipping’ it’s even more clearly Left. If you grabbed a t shirt in your hand and whipped it left and right it’s quite clear which direction you are whipping the cloth.

This is the definition of whip. ‘move fast or suddenly in a specified direction.’

So based on the word Whip the Whip is the fast move. It’s quite clear here which direction the whip or fast move is in..... any guesses? Clearly left.

The bike is whipped to the left - by definition.

That's a leap and a half. I don't know what to say anymore, we appear to be at an impasse.
10/11/2019 12:12am

Which way is this car drifting? The back end is kicked out to the right so surely he's drifting right? Nope...
reded
10/11/2019 4:49am
It’s derived from the term tail-whip which means whipping the tail of the bike right or left. It is a right hand whip due to the tail of the motorcycle arcing out to the right. Yes, you must turn left to initiate the movement but it is indeed a right handed whip.
owndjoo852
10/11/2019 6:14am
reded wrote:
It’s derived from the term tail-whip which means whipping the tail of the bike right or left. It is a right hand whip due to the...
It’s derived from the term tail-whip which means whipping the tail of the bike right or left. It is a right hand whip due to the tail of the motorcycle arcing out to the right. Yes, you must turn left to initiate the movement but it is indeed a right handed whip.
Bingo!! Remember that the bike is rotating around the steering stem. The rider and front end maintain the same trajectory path, the rear of the bike is the only part moving out. The steering stops prevent the completion of a tailwhip like in BMX. You wouldn't call a tailwhip to the left if the rear end is spinning right, would you? That is the definition of a whip. Whipping the back end of the bike in that direction.
10/11/2019 6:27am
Another perspective:

If you were above the rider, looking down on him, the rear of his bike will be rotating ANTI-Clockwise.

Now think of a Bolt, or nut: "Lefty loosey, Righty tighty"

There ya go, final answer.
slipdog
10/11/2019 6:27am
10/11/2019 6:31am
I’m saying left, I always thought left because you lean to the left 🤷‍♂️
jhansen510
Fantasy
3559th
10/13/2019 9:03am
Then why is it called a whip, not a lean? The direction of a whip is the side in which the back end of the bike...
Then why is it called a whip, not a lean? The direction of a whip is the side in which the back end of the bike is whipped from the center point (your front wheel since you don't whip the front end). This is so preposterously stupid. Amazed that that people could think this way. Ask anybody pro (or person with a brain) this question and you'll be proven wrong.
Well, i was a pro, and everyone i ever talked to referred to it this way..so...i guess agree to disagree?
Been at this since 4 years old (30 years, didn't bother getting my pro card) and I've never once heard somebody refer to a whip because...
Been at this since 4 years old (30 years, didn't bother getting my pro card) and I've never once heard somebody refer to a whip because of the direction of leaning. It's literally called a whip as in the bike is whipped to one side. I guess we will have to agree to disagree, but I'll go with the majority on this one.
LOL. I am gonna go with Travis on this one. I am going out on a limb and assume not bothering to get your pro card equates to not being fast enough....
Mr. Afterbar
10/13/2019 11:20am
jhansen510 wrote:
LOL. I am gonna go with Travis on this one. I am going out on a limb and assume not bothering to get your pro card...
LOL. I am gonna go with Travis on this one. I am going out on a limb and assume not bothering to get your pro card equates to not being fast enough....
Cool story. I wasn’t bragging myself up and I don’t need to explain myself to someone disrespecting me that doesn’t even know which way a bike is being whipped.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
10/13/2019 5:01pm
OMG! 5 pages! This really is like the seat bounce and double/triple threads!
toroP
10/13/2019 7:48pm
The “whip” is the motion of the bike. Back tire whips to the right.
MotoGuido
10/13/2019 10:18pm
You turn the bike left by leaning left. You lean off the face of the jump to the left, you're whipping left.
jimmie
10/14/2019 7:02pm
Picture- rider is leaning left, rear wheel is moving to the right.

Answer... whipping to the right. You're welcome.
10/14/2019 7:21pm Edited Date/Time 10/14/2019 7:30pm
I’ve been pondering this way too much for the last week or so and I’ve finally come to the conclusion that the original picture is in fact a whip to the right.

The rider is imparting energy in one direction (in this case, left), and using his body like a cracked whip (hence the name) to transfer the kinetic energy in the opposite direction, causing the part of the bike most connected with his hips, legs and feet to move to the right. The bars pivoting from the rest of the bike at the head tube makes this all possible. Man and machine being one. How goddamn romantic.

The whip is to the right.

When the fuck is A1?

Post a reply to: Which way is this rider whipping?

The Latest