Why I quit Oakley!

731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
12/16/2017 8:07pm
I love the airbrake goggle but dont love the price so I bought the two I have on clearance at around $100 each.
hititpind
12/16/2017 8:23pm Edited Date/Time 12/16/2017 8:25pm
Good thing Jim Jannard sold out when he did... the struggle

ob
12/16/2017 9:39pm
Oakley sucks
FIREfish148
12/16/2017 9:50pm
1HRCrider wrote:
So over priced and over rated. Plenty of decent goggles for half the price and work just as well. 100% And EKS to name a few.
That's a couple doe :/

The Shop

tek14
12/16/2017 9:57pm
I will never pay 200€ for goggles that only have oakley logo on it. Its motocross and other brands have as good or better goggles for 50-60€. Have you ever run oakley roll offs.. yeah no one has because they are that bad.
Micahdogg
12/16/2017 10:05pm
MX429 wrote:
From the looks of things, since a I placed an order a few weeks ago, they seem to be moving away from the Oakley O frame...
From the looks of things, since a I placed an order a few weeks ago, they seem to be moving away from the Oakley O frame. There were very few lenses offered and not as many color schemes.

This is a solid goggle that someone can afford to have multiple pairs of. Our race goggle bag has about 7 pair with all different lenses. I hope they don’t go away anytime soon. I don’t want to replace 35 dollar goggles with 135 dollar goggles.
I've been using O-frames for almost 20 years now. I only have two goggles at a time, and I replace the lenses with just plain ole clear lenses. I don't even care what color my goggles are, I just get the closeouts at $35 and call it good for a while. I fully agree, its a google that does what it is supposed to do.
Rhino
12/16/2017 10:25pm
visser62 wrote:
I quit Oakley because they're owned by that monopolistic horde, Luxxotica.
Yeah, and if I remember right the way they bought Oakley was some underhanded corporate capitalism at it's finest. Because of a so-called disagreement on MSRP's...
Yeah, and if I remember right the way they bought Oakley was some underhanded corporate capitalism at it's finest. Because of a so-called disagreement on MSRP's Luxxotica pulled all Oakley's from Sunglass Hut and a handful of other retail stores they own. That in turn drove Oakley's stock price way down and Luxxotica bought them. If you're concerned about buying a brand that is core moto, Oakley now could not be further from that. Dirty business, but I guess in today's current corporate environment, it's fair play.
Wow. Doesn't surprise me.
Brent
12/16/2017 10:32pm
I just switched from Oakley to Scott Prospect, by far the best goggle I have ever worn, And the first that does not pinch my nose.
toomanykaws
12/16/2017 11:15pm
I have a couple pair of Spy that won't wear out. Bunch spare lens for them. Couple pair Scott haven't tried yet. Then ran into 100% leaving a trade show and got four more pair for a song. I am stocked for a bit.
Fraser
12/17/2017 1:26am
There's absolutely nothing wrong with Airbrake roll-offs. Never had a problem with the latest ones. Also whilst they may be expensive, that hard solid lens is worth the money for eye protection. When that lens came out it was a game changer. I also have the Fox ones with the hard lens, they're ok but don't have the easy lens change system of the Oakleys. I believe 100% now have a hard lens model too, but I'd never go back to a flimsy thin lens again when there's rocks flying at your eyes.
12/17/2017 7:23am
mxjon454 wrote:
Their goggles are bitchin, but paying $220 for a set of airbrakes is insane when you could get a nice pair of 100% for $50. Get...
Their goggles are bitchin, but paying $220 for a set of airbrakes is insane when you could get a nice pair of 100% for $50. Get 3 pairs of 100% goggles and a bunch of tear offs or get one set of the airbrakes? Ill take the 100% lol
Are they seriously getting over 200 bones for a pair of goggles?!?
swtwtwtw wrote:
Yup. But there is a place here in so cal that has the Airbrakes for $125 out the door
Avid?
12/17/2017 10:37am
ML512 wrote:
I just walked through Oakley's development lab yesterday...the amount of work they're putting into moto goggles is still pretty deep. They just launched a new moto...
I just walked through Oakley's development lab yesterday...the amount of work they're putting into moto goggles is still pretty deep. They just launched a new moto goggle and are working on another three or so right now...

Yeah, I wish moto guys were more prevalent in their global marketing these days but I'll stamp this one by saying they still invest more money and time into their goggle development than any other goggle brand in our industry.
How come I don’t see them anywhere on the website?
ACBraap
Fantasy
505th
12/17/2017 10:54am
Bermworm wrote:
The one brand I've always found to be more style than substance.That and I never could afford any of their products...
That’s because you have to pay for the product plus all that marketing to other sports and mainstream mall crowds.
12/17/2017 10:56am
Oakley greatly supports military. They throw Top notch shit our way! Ballistic shades. Accessories. They’re a pretty solid company. I’m sure they’ll continue to develop goggles. Those Oakley’s lenses swap seemlessly. I complained about them being $160 but damn are they nice....
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
12/17/2017 11:01am Edited Date/Time 12/17/2017 11:03am
I actually own and still buy a lot of Oakley apparel & products,I've always liked their stuff.
I've always thought that it was pretty neat that they were a moto/bmx company that became mainstream.
It's cool to see them involved in professional fishing these days too.
They also make great tactical gear.

Anyone remember these from back in the day?

montesagold
12/17/2017 11:07am
Rhino wrote:
Yah, and here I am still just wanting plain old 30 dollar Pro Frames with a half mask. I hate most new goggles. They either fit...
Yah, and here I am still just wanting plain old 30 dollar Pro Frames with a half mask.

I hate most new goggles. They either fit like shit, don't fit in the helmet, or cost too much. Why people pay the money they do for these 3 dollar Chinese piles is beyond me.
They don't fit in the helmet, so dirt gets in. They are garbage. 2017 and goggles now are no better or worse than 1985!

I don't want or need goggles the size of a face shield, or magnets to hold a lens because the snowflakes of the world can't put a lens in! I don't need fancy lens either. I need clear, smoked, and amber/persimmon/ whatever they call it.. And a dual pane version of each. That's it. I don't even need the ones with the holes.

Simple, cheap, and it works.

Does X Brand make some goggles that work?

Hell Yea! Been on Xbrand exclusively for 5 years, they are great in every way. The price point, the fit, the quality of foam and the company/family as well. Do yourself a favor and spend $50 on a pair
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
12/17/2017 11:26am
Fraser wrote:
There's absolutely nothing wrong with Airbrake roll-offs. Never had a problem with the latest ones. Also whilst they may be expensive, that hard solid lens is...
There's absolutely nothing wrong with Airbrake roll-offs. Never had a problem with the latest ones. Also whilst they may be expensive, that hard solid lens is worth the money for eye protection. When that lens came out it was a game changer. I also have the Fox ones with the hard lens, they're ok but don't have the easy lens change system of the Oakleys. I believe 100% now have a hard lens model too, but I'd never go back to a flimsy thin lens again when there's rocks flying at your eyes.
I would think Jason Anderson would agree with your last statement given he lost 25 points in the MX championship last year due to a rock to the lens that resulted in stitches IIRC. I know he doesn't ride with Oakley's but I'd bet he rides with thick lens goggles now.
NATEP231
12/17/2017 3:37pm
If you haven’t heard yet...this company is as core as it gets

mxjon454
12/17/2017 6:02pm
mxjon454 wrote:
Their goggles are bitchin, but paying $220 for a set of airbrakes is insane when you could get a nice pair of 100% for $50. Get...
Their goggles are bitchin, but paying $220 for a set of airbrakes is insane when you could get a nice pair of 100% for $50. Get 3 pairs of 100% goggles and a bunch of tear offs or get one set of the airbrakes? Ill take the 100% lol
Rhino wrote:
What are the preferred model? And can you get a half mask for them?

I have a few pairs of the Accuri models. I like them. Nice and comfortable, and theyre about $45 bucks. Cant go wrong. I think you can get the nose pieces for them. And i think all their frames are the same becuase the lenses fit in all their models.
mxjon454
12/17/2017 6:05pm
mxjon454 wrote:
I went to temecula motorsports last weekend and i looked at a pair of the air brake model, and they were either $180 or $220. I want to say they were $220 tho, almost positive. Its insane, i cant justify paying that much for a pair of goggles.
swtwtwtw
12/18/2017 1:48am
swtwtwtw wrote:
Yup. But there is a place here in so cal that has the Airbrakes for $125 out the door
Avid?
Yup. I just picked up a couple of pairs. Price quoted is shipped.
2Fmx
12/18/2017 2:59am
What happened to Smith? I remember having few and they were great. Similar to Scott as I remember. Also been riding in Oakley Crowbar, I liked them, but 100% did fit better in my V3 I think. I love that wider elastic strap on 100% actually
Dougy1
12/18/2017 4:02am
ML512 wrote:
I just walked through Oakley's development lab yesterday...the amount of work they're putting into moto goggles is still pretty deep. They just launched a new moto...
I just walked through Oakley's development lab yesterday...the amount of work they're putting into moto goggles is still pretty deep. They just launched a new moto goggle and are working on another three or so right now...

Yeah, I wish moto guys were more prevalent in their global marketing these days but I'll stamp this one by saying they still invest more money and time into their goggle development than any other goggle brand in our industry.
kkawboy14 wrote:
Definitely I see that but man I don’t see surfing over moto. I grew up surfing New Smyrna, Bethune, Cocoa. Surfing has to be a smaller...
Definitely I see that but man I don’t see surfing over moto.
I grew up surfing New Smyrna, Bethune, Cocoa. Surfing has to be a smaller sport than moto.

They could do a lot of return marketing for moto!
Are you kidding re surfing vs moto go check the amount of followers Gabriel medina has or Kelly Slater or John John Florence. Literally millions upon millions of people can afford to go surf. Moto is super neich bro and only getting worse . I work as a professional lifeguard on the Goldcoast Australia and I would like too say I have a fare idea on the surf industry and Moto is pale in comparison too the growth of surfing . Just check out the wave pools about too go global not too mention Brazil has become a power house of surfing . Poor uneducated children of South America. Country's that live near the beach have a chance too make the world tour..given hard work/ talent . You can not say the same thing about Moto. Btw I love both.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
12/18/2017 6:38am
Over 500,000 attend the U.S. open of surfing each year.
12/18/2017 6:46am
Rhino wrote:
Yah, and here I am still just wanting plain old 30 dollar Pro Frames with a half mask. I hate most new goggles. They either fit...
Yah, and here I am still just wanting plain old 30 dollar Pro Frames with a half mask.

I hate most new goggles. They either fit like shit, don't fit in the helmet, or cost too much. Why people pay the money they do for these 3 dollar Chinese piles is beyond me.
They don't fit in the helmet, so dirt gets in. They are garbage. 2017 and goggles now are no better or worse than 1985!

I don't want or need goggles the size of a face shield, or magnets to hold a lens because the snowflakes of the world can't put a lens in! I don't need fancy lens either. I need clear, smoked, and amber/persimmon/ whatever they call it.. And a dual pane version of each. That's it. I don't even need the ones with the holes.

Simple, cheap, and it works.

Does X Brand make some goggles that work?

X brand work amazing and feel good on the face. Tried a pair of 100% because my local dealer doesn't have X brand tear offs and I forgot to order some. The 100% suck. Let dirt through every time I wear them.
kkawboy14
12/18/2017 7:06am
ML512 wrote:

kkawboy14 wrote:
Definitely I see that but man I don’t see surfing over moto. I grew up surfing New Smyrna, Bethune, Cocoa. Surfing has to be a smaller...
Definitely I see that but man I don’t see surfing over moto.
I grew up surfing New Smyrna, Bethune, Cocoa. Surfing has to be a smaller sport than moto.

They could do a lot of return marketing for moto!
Dougy1 wrote:
Are you kidding re surfing vs moto go check the amount of followers Gabriel medina has or Kelly Slater or John John Florence. Literally millions upon...
Are you kidding re surfing vs moto go check the amount of followers Gabriel medina has or Kelly Slater or John John Florence. Literally millions upon millions of people can afford to go surf. Moto is super neich bro and only getting worse . I work as a professional lifeguard on the Goldcoast Australia and I would like too say I have a fare idea on the surf industry and Moto is pale in comparison too the growth of surfing . Just check out the wave pools about too go global not too mention Brazil has become a power house of surfing . Poor uneducated children of South America. Country's that live near the beach have a chance too make the world tour..given hard work/ talent . You can not say the same thing about Moto. Btw I love both.
I’ve been wrong before!
Log Hopper
Fantasy
1586th
12/18/2017 7:08am
2Fmx wrote:
What happened to Smith? I remember having few and they were great. Similar to Scott as I remember. Also been riding in Oakley Crowbar, I liked...
What happened to Smith? I remember having few and they were great. Similar to Scott as I remember. Also been riding in Oakley Crowbar, I liked them, but 100% did fit better in my V3 I think. I love that wider elastic strap on 100% actually
I'm an old Scott guy and now wear Smith. Great googles.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
12/18/2017 7:19am
2Fmx wrote:
What happened to Smith? I remember having few and they were great. Similar to Scott as I remember. Also been riding in Oakley Crowbar, I liked...
Smith is very popular in the skiing and snowboarding world.
agn5009
12/18/2017 7:22am
Oakley greatly supports military. They throw Top notch shit our way! Ballistic shades. Accessories. They’re a pretty solid company. I’m sure they’ll continue to develop goggles...
Oakley greatly supports military. They throw Top notch shit our way! Ballistic shades. Accessories. They’re a pretty solid company. I’m sure they’ll continue to develop goggles. Those Oakley’s lenses swap seemlessly. I complained about them being $160 but damn are they nice....
Law enforcement as well. They give great deals and donate a good amount of product.

Post a reply to: Why I quit Oakley!

The Latest