Why I quit Oakley!

12/18/2017 8:22am
ML512 wrote:
I just walked through Oakley's development lab yesterday...the amount of work they're putting into moto goggles is still pretty deep. They just launched a new moto...
I just walked through Oakley's development lab yesterday...the amount of work they're putting into moto goggles is still pretty deep. They just launched a new moto goggle and are working on another three or so right now...

Yeah, I wish moto guys were more prevalent in their global marketing these days but I'll stamp this one by saying they still invest more money and time into their goggle development than any other goggle brand in our industry.
kkawboy14 wrote:
Definitely I see that but man I don’t see surfing over moto. I grew up surfing New Smyrna, Bethune, Cocoa. Surfing has to be a smaller...
Definitely I see that but man I don’t see surfing over moto.
I grew up surfing New Smyrna, Bethune, Cocoa. Surfing has to be a smaller sport than moto.

They could do a lot of return marketing for moto!
As a guy who worked for Oakley for 9 years, ill tell you first hand that Oakley still maintains a good size of its r&d to develop moto goggles! The company started as such and im sure it will remain that way. However in the grand scheme of things, moto goggles is a small part of its business today.
Gravel
12/18/2017 9:43am
X brand is the best value on the market.

Oakley is a great success story, I used to buy grips from Jim Jannard out of his van at the BMX track in the 70s, look where they are now.. the other sports and the mall stores are not all, look up RED digital cinematic cameras for fun sometime. In the high speed video world RED is an amazing value.. it's Jim Jannards follow up to Oakley..

The Shop

JSC&B
12/18/2017 9:43am
Doesn't look like they left, they just jumped up in exclusivity with their pricing. Mid 2000’s was about the last time a moto shop would blow up there goggle tower with a fat O frame order. Way back my dealers at a minimum would be doing the 40 order or 100 for the better terms but they didn’t make much profit on those. I assume airbrakes are keystone like the glasses so the dealer is pulling a $100 profit + a sale as compared to the O frames where they’d have to sell 8 O frames to make the same.
pmshortt2
12/18/2017 11:39am
I run spy woot mx goggles with the smoked lens. Fit perfect, look good, and do the job. Only $45. I also wear spy ski goggles in the snow and they are also my favorite Cool
hyler199
12/18/2017 11:00pm
whos got the best bang for buck high end Roll Off system. I was thinking Id spend money on Oakley if they have them but what do people think? Not many options here other than Fox, Shift, 100% which are heavily pushed by my closest retailers. My KTM dealer can get any goggles for me but not much instock to take a look at.

opinions?
Lynch
12/19/2017 12:43am
hyler199 wrote:
whos got the best bang for buck high end Roll Off system. I was thinking Id spend money on Oakley if they have them but what...
whos got the best bang for buck high end Roll Off system. I was thinking Id spend money on Oakley if they have them but what do people think? Not many options here other than Fox, Shift, 100% which are heavily pushed by my closest retailers. My KTM dealer can get any goggles for me but not much instock to take a look at.

opinions?
I would say Scott Prospect, Tyrant/Hustle or 100%'s forecast.
12/19/2017 1:19am
hyler199 wrote:
whos got the best bang for buck high end Roll Off system. I was thinking Id spend money on Oakley if they have them but what...

opinions?
Lynch wrote:
I would say Scott Prospect, Tyrant/Hustle or 100%'s forecast.
The prospect roll offs are shit
Lynch
12/19/2017 1:25am
The prospect roll offs are shit
They work fine for me so far Blush
agn5009
12/19/2017 10:44am
hyler199 wrote:

opinions?
I haven't tried the prospect roll offs yet but the goggles themselves are fantastic.

The best roll off I've ever had are the Scott Hustles. Get the double paned lenses with the little bumps and the mud flap and you'll never look back. The little bumps really help the film from smudging when water gets under there.
kkawboy14
12/19/2017 11:52am
It’s obvious they haven’t “left moto” it’s just that they quit doing anything to help promote it to outside people. Their reach is far and it’s part of what is missing for moto to grow or at least stay relevant
Spooner
12/19/2017 12:09pm
hyler199 wrote:

opinions?
100% just updated their roll off setup this month. It's essentially the same forecast system they had with the super wide film but its built on to the Accuri goggle now instead of being a stand alone system that you installed on a goggle. The benefit is that its quite a bit lighter and keep the weight closer to your face, plus now it uses the standard size lenses with the bumps instead of a proprietary lens. I rode the old system several times and the main complaint I had was the weight and that the lens was further away from your eye so it was kind of like looking through the tunnel. The new system takes care of all that and for barely more than the old system you get an entire goggle now too. The forecast parts are all the same so if you had a set of the old ones the film and covers are all the same so you can swap parts around if you have spares. I'm hoping they come out with some other colors of lenses with the bumps so I can run them in super dusty conditions but still be able to use say a blue or persimmon lens.

Motofinne
12/19/2017 12:13pm Edited Date/Time 12/19/2017 12:15pm
It's funny to read all these comments about how over 100 bucks goggles are ridiculous and stupid.

I'm happy to pay up to 200 bucks for a set of goggles(Oakley Airbrake is my choice) that will actually save my eyes(you can't get new eyes) when a 450 infront of me slingshots a rock on my lens.
Indymxer
12/19/2017 12:16pm
Motofinne wrote:
It's funny to read all these comments about how over 100 bucks goggles are ridiculous and stupid. I'm happy to pay up to 200 bucks for...
It's funny to read all these comments about how over 100 bucks goggles are ridiculous and stupid.

I'm happy to pay up to 200 bucks for a set of goggles(Oakley Airbrake is my choice) that will actually save my eyes(you can't get new eyes) when a 450 infront of me slingshots a rock on my lens.
The point is that a$50 pair will protect your precious little peepers the same as a $200 pair. $150 will buy you lots of gas, filters, whatever.
Motofinne
12/19/2017 12:23pm
Motofinne wrote:
It's funny to read all these comments about how over 100 bucks goggles are ridiculous and stupid. I'm happy to pay up to 200 bucks for...

Indymxer wrote:
The point is that a$50 pair will protect your precious little peepers the same as a $200 pair. $150 will buy you lots of gas, filters...
The point is that a$50 pair will protect your precious little peepers the same as a $200 pair. $150 will buy you lots of gas, filters, whatever.
That is complete bs. Unless you can find me a set of goggles with a lens that is as strong as the lens on the Airbrakes.

I've seen some scary things happen for people with the traditional lexan lenses. Including myself.
kkawboy14
12/19/2017 12:35pm
Motofinne wrote:

Indymxer wrote:
The point is that a$50 pair will protect your precious little peepers the same as a $200 pair. $150 will buy you lots of gas, filters...
Motofinne wrote:
That is complete bs. Unless you can find me a set of goggles with a lens that is as strong as the lens on the Airbrakes...
That is complete bs. Unless you can find me a set of goggles with a lens that is as strong as the lens on the Airbrakes.

I've seen some scary things happen for people with the traditional lexan lenses. Including myself.
My brother was riding at Crooms in Florida wearing Scott Goggles, a limb hit the lens bounced off and went thru his upper lip!
stone881
12/19/2017 12:54pm
Oakley sold out to Luxotica many years ago. Although Lux did say that they intended to let Oakley remain on it's own and I think for the most part they have. But yeah, 200 bucks for mx goggles is stupid. I can see it for high end snow sports goggles, but not for something that spends all day in the dirt.
12/19/2017 1:04pm
stone881 wrote:
Oakley sold out to Luxotica many years ago. Although Lux did say that they intended to let Oakley remain on it's own and I think for...
Oakley sold out to Luxotica many years ago. Although Lux did say that they intended to let Oakley remain on it's own and I think for the most part they have. But yeah, 200 bucks for mx goggles is stupid. I can see it for high end snow sports goggles, but not for something that spends all day in the dirt.
Airbrakes may be expensive but you can easily find them for less than $200. I have one set I paid less than MSRP for and last year around this time someone posted a link where they had a sale for the Dungey airbrakes for $80. Better believe I snagged another pair.
Motofinne
12/19/2017 1:06pm
stone881 wrote:
Oakley sold out to Luxotica many years ago. Although Lux did say that they intended to let Oakley remain on it's own and I think for...
Airbrakes may be expensive but you can easily find them for less than $200. I have one set I paid less than MSRP for and last...
Airbrakes may be expensive but you can easily find them for less than $200. I have one set I paid less than MSRP for and last year around this time someone posted a link where they had a sale for the Dungey airbrakes for $80. Better believe I snagged another pair.
Yeah. I got one set for 110€(RV signature with mirrored lens), one set for 150€(2018 model with the Prizm lens) etc..
12/19/2017 1:13pm
stone881 wrote:
Airbrakes may be expensive but you can easily find them for less than $200. I have one set I paid less than MSRP for and last...
Exactly... You're dumb if you buy them at MSRP. Also the simpler designs normally cost a lot less then the signature goggles. And an airbrake with just a clear lens instead of mirrored is also a lot cheaper.
Brent
12/19/2017 2:21pm
Indymxer wrote:
wrong.
Apparently you’ve never had your lens blown out by the shotgun blast roost from the 450 in front of you.

Toy goggles don’t cut it anymore in racing conditions.
JM485
12/19/2017 5:11pm
Brent wrote:
wrong. Apparently you’ve never had your lens blown out by the shotgun blast roost from the 450 in front of you. Toy goggles don’t cut it...
wrong.
Apparently you’ve never had your lens blown out by the shotgun blast roost from the 450 in front of you.

Toy goggles don’t cut it anymore in racing conditions.
Seriously? How often have you honestly had that happen to you, or anyone you know? I get that it can happen, but seriously for the amount of risk I'm taking with a standard goggle I can pretty easily justify spending about 1/5 of the price. I'm sure $200 goggles are nice, but for what they are the price is an absolute joke, I'm not going to get bent over like that.
MBR
12/19/2017 5:40pm
JM485 wrote:
Seriously? How often have you honestly had that happen to you, or anyone you know? I get that it can happen, but seriously for the amount...
Seriously? How often have you honestly had that happen to you, or anyone you know? I get that it can happen, but seriously for the amount of risk I'm taking with a standard goggle I can pretty easily justify spending about 1/5 of the price. I'm sure $200 goggles are nice, but for what they are the price is an absolute joke, I'm not going to get bent over like that.
We did 10 goggle test for magazine and the top three was Oakley Airbrake, Oakley Frontline and Scott Prospect. I have seen and also experienced a plenty of situations when the lexan lens gives in and results either mud in eye or worst. Here you can see the difference between injection lens vs. lexan lens when shot with air pellet (which has a much less impact than you will get from stone coming out rear wheel of a 450). I think if you have spare eyes or head it it ok to use anything else than premium helmet or goggles.

https://www.facebook.com/offroadpro/videos/10154901682126848/
JM485
12/19/2017 9:01pm
JM485 wrote:
Seriously? How often have you honestly had that happen to you, or anyone you know? I get that it can happen, but seriously for the amount...
MBR wrote:
We did 10 goggle test for magazine and the top three was Oakley Airbrake, Oakley Frontline and Scott Prospect. I have seen and also experienced a...
We did 10 goggle test for magazine and the top three was Oakley Airbrake, Oakley Frontline and Scott Prospect. I have seen and also experienced a plenty of situations when the lexan lens gives in and results either mud in eye or worst. Here you can see the difference between injection lens vs. lexan lens when shot with air pellet (which has a much less impact than you will get from stone coming out rear wheel of a 450). I think if you have spare eyes or head it it ok to use anything else than premium helmet or goggles.

https://www.facebook.com/offroadpro/videos/10154901682126848/
Interesting video, thanks for posting. It's hard to see how exactly how that experiment was set up, but that sure looked like a powerful shot, which makes me question how comparable that really is to 450 roost. Everything has a breaking point, and obviously the force from what shot was somewhere in between where the standard lense and the injection lenses fail. I'm not trying to discredit any work that you've done here, because I think there is definitely some merit to discussing this, but what kind of data did you consider when you decided how much pressure to use and how big of a projectile? I understand the point of the experiment, but I am somewhat questioning how realistic of a real world scenario that setup was. I don't doubt for a second that the injected lenses are superior, but I do doubt that they are superior enough to justify 5x the cost of a standard goggle, or that 450s are throwing rocks any harder then 500s were back in the day. Do you have any info on how much stronger the injected lenses are then a standard lens, because I'd definitely be interested in seeing anything you've found in the experiment.
12/19/2017 9:44pm
Joke-eley. 100% has really taken over in sales in shops. Everyone is buying them
Rocket88
12/19/2017 11:05pm Edited Date/Time 12/19/2017 11:07pm
In before someone pokes their eye out.
chuckdavies
12/20/2017 2:19am
JM485 wrote:
I think the point to make is that as rare as it is, blowing out normal goggle lenses DOES happen, and people's eyes do get damaged. It only takes one hit to the eye wearing some cheap goggles and that could be it...

Airbrakes are the best goggles i've ever worn, the fitment is awesome, they look great, they're so easy to work on and they have the toughest lenses and you don't need to pay $200 that i keep seeing.
Motofinne
12/20/2017 3:19am Edited Date/Time 12/20/2017 3:32am
I have no problem with people buying traditional goggles with traditional lexan lenses, do it. It's your eyes. Not mine.

But to somehow try to convince yourself and other people that the high-end goggles with the proven(scientifically) safer/better lenses are a fraud is incredibly stupid.

Post a reply to: Why I quit Oakley!

The Latest