Why I quit Oakley!

12/20/2017 5:26am
I bought a pair of Airbrakes last year, best goggle I've ever worn. Comfortable, wide field of vision, super easy to change the lense. I did a lot of research before paying £99 (I got them with roll offs too) for a pair pf goggles and what sold it for me was how strong the lense is. No brainer for me.

I've has a pair of100% goggles before but they pinched my nose & the strap stretched really quickly plus the lense is a pain in the ass to fit especially with the Forecast roll off system.

But hey it's my money, I spend it how I want.
NVA57
Fantasy
1602nd
12/20/2017 6:18am
Motofinne wrote:
I have no problem with people buying traditional goggles with traditional lexan lenses, do it. It's your eyes. Not mine. But to somehow try to convince...
I have no problem with people buying traditional goggles with traditional lexan lenses, do it. It's your eyes. Not mine.

But to somehow try to convince yourself and other people that the high-end goggles with the proven(scientifically) safer/better lenses are a fraud is incredibly stupid.
What is weird to me is why some Oakley sponsored riders sometimes don't ride with the airbrakes? Herlings just started wearing them this year, but didn't in 2015, 2016 etc.
12/20/2017 7:07am Edited Date/Time 12/20/2017 7:08am
Motofinne wrote:
I have no problem with people buying traditional goggles with traditional lexan lenses, do it. It's your eyes. Not mine. But to somehow try to convince...
I have no problem with people buying traditional goggles with traditional lexan lenses, do it. It's your eyes. Not mine.

But to somehow try to convince yourself and other people that the high-end goggles with the proven(scientifically) safer/better lenses are a fraud is incredibly stupid.
NVA57 wrote:
What is weird to me is why some Oakley sponsored riders sometimes don't ride with the airbrakes? Herlings just started wearing them this year, but didn't...
What is weird to me is why some Oakley sponsored riders sometimes don't ride with the airbrakes? Herlings just started wearing them this year, but didn't in 2015, 2016 etc.
I think there are actually very few riders who are sponsored by oakley and don't ride with the airbrake or frontline. Or at least I don't know them. Herlings started wearing the airbrake at the end of 2015 (I checked his instagram) and hasn't worn anything else since.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
12/20/2017 7:29am Edited Date/Time 12/20/2017 7:29am
Motofinne wrote:

NVA57 wrote:
What is weird to me is why some Oakley sponsored riders sometimes don't ride with the airbrakes? Herlings just started wearing them this year, but didn't...
Herlings was wearing the old Crowbars or O-Frames for a sand and mud races while Oakley made some changes to their Airbrake roll-off system...it had some durability issues in the first batch and they made some changes. Herlings was the test guy for a ton of that actually.

The Shop

MBR
12/20/2017 8:12am Edited Date/Time 12/20/2017 5:29pm
ML512 wrote:
Herlings was wearing the old Crowbars or O-Frames for a sand and mud races while Oakley made some changes to their Airbrake roll-off system...it had some...
Herlings was wearing the old Crowbars or O-Frames for a sand and mud races while Oakley made some changes to their Airbrake roll-off system...it had some durability issues in the first batch and they made some changes. Herlings was the test guy for a ton of that actually.
When using the Crowbars or O-frames Herlings had the lens glued on the frame so the lens would stay in place no matter what. Airbrake older roll-off system definitely had it problems, but hopefully they are now sorted out.

One really important thing is that goggles fit different to each person face and helmet combination. For example some goggles fit some person perfectly with Shoei, but not with Bell. All in all, it is great that more and more brands are coming up with injection molded lenses and better protection.
Brent
12/20/2017 12:57pm Edited Date/Time 12/20/2017 12:58pm
JM485 wrote:
Seriously? How often have you honestly had that happen to you, or anyone you know? I get that it can happen, but seriously for the amount...
Seriously? How often have you honestly had that happen to you, or anyone you know? I get that it can happen, but seriously for the amount of risk I'm taking with a standard goggle I can pretty easily justify spending about 1/5 of the price. I'm sure $200 goggles are nice, but for what they are the price is an absolute joke, I'm not going to get bent over like that.
MBR wrote:
We did 10 goggle test for magazine and the top three was Oakley Airbrake, Oakley Frontline and Scott Prospect. I have seen and also experienced a...
We did 10 goggle test for magazine and the top three was Oakley Airbrake, Oakley Frontline and Scott Prospect. I have seen and also experienced a plenty of situations when the lexan lens gives in and results either mud in eye or worst. Here you can see the difference between injection lens vs. lexan lens when shot with air pellet (which has a much less impact than you will get from stone coming out rear wheel of a 450). I think if you have spare eyes or head it it ok to use anything else than premium helmet or goggles.

https://www.facebook.com/offroadpro/videos/10154901682126848/
JM485 wrote:
Interesting video, thanks for posting. It's hard to see how exactly how that experiment was set up, but that sure looked like a powerful shot, which...
Interesting video, thanks for posting. It's hard to see how exactly how that experiment was set up, but that sure looked like a powerful shot, which makes me question how comparable that really is to 450 roost. Everything has a breaking point, and obviously the force from what shot was somewhere in between where the standard lense and the injection lenses fail. I'm not trying to discredit any work that you've done here, because I think there is definitely some merit to discussing this, but what kind of data did you consider when you decided how much pressure to use and how big of a projectile? I understand the point of the experiment, but I am somewhat questioning how realistic of a real world scenario that setup was. I don't doubt for a second that the injected lenses are superior, but I do doubt that they are superior enough to justify 5x the cost of a standard goggle, or that 450s are throwing rocks any harder then 500s were back in the day. Do you have any info on how much stronger the injected lenses are then a standard lens, because I'd definitely be interested in seeing anything you've found in the experiment.
While anyone can question goggle testing parameters and methodology, the fact is that lens blowouts do happen from roost, I have some unfortunate personal experiences in this area.

In a related argument, there are also differences of opinion in helmet quality and level of protection versus cost, but most riders I know would not hesitate to buy the best rated helmet they can afford as opposed to a 100 dollar lid.

So, for the relative minor cost difference of a premium product like the Prospect or Airbrake, I am willing to spend the extra money. Sure they are expensive as compared to the proverbial " 50 dollar goggle", but so is my health insurance deductible for eye care...
Rhino
12/20/2017 4:03pm Edited Date/Time 12/20/2017 4:13pm
Get some JONES Goggles. You can shoot a .22 at those and you are good to go!

They had ads showing it! Popular in the 80s. All the moto mags ran ads.
NVA57
Fantasy
1602nd
12/21/2017 4:20am
ML512 wrote:
Herlings was wearing the old Crowbars or O-Frames for a sand and mud races while Oakley made some changes to their Airbrake roll-off system...it had some...
Thanks. Always wondered about that.
RussB
Fantasy
986th
12/21/2017 5:31am
I have a set of Airbrakes. I got them for free with a brand new Shoei Helmet deal.

I absolutely love them, the fit, quality and tear off system is fantastic. I have never pulled more than one tear off at a time with the Airbrakes., unlike the O Frames where I quite often pull the lot in a frantic moment and lose all my tear offs.

I will admit though that the early model Airbrake Roll off system was junk and jammed on me multiple times. So I use them as a tear off only goggle now.

Will I buy another set? Yeah at some point, the price has stopped me from jumping to buy another set immediately.

Another good point.... my dog got hold of the Airbrakes and chewed all of the foam off. Luckily you can buy a replacement foam for a reasonable price. It was like wearing a brand new goggle again with the new foam. Definitely a bonus, I don't see why you would ever need to throw a set of airbrakes away as all the main wear items are replaceable
12/24/2017 10:39am
4 pages of personal experiences and opinions, but I could not find any facts about what the original post said, that "oakley is pulling out of MX".....where did you hear this? They still have MX athletes (And downhill mountain bike) and still have MX/MTB product in the pipeline.
kkawboy14
12/24/2017 10:42am
4 pages of personal experiences and opinions, but I could not find any facts about what the original post said, that "oakley is pulling out of...
4 pages of personal experiences and opinions, but I could not find any facts about what the original post said, that "oakley is pulling out of MX".....where did you hear this? They still have MX athletes (And downhill mountain bike) and still have MX/MTB product in the pipeline.
No one in this thread said Oakley is pulling out of mx or sx
12/24/2017 10:44am Edited Date/Time 12/24/2017 10:45am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Your first words "They quit moto"....how could that sentence be construed any other way? (quit, pulling out, going away, etc etc)
kkawboy14
12/24/2017 10:56am Edited Date/Time 12/24/2017 10:58am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Your first words "They quit moto"....how could that sentence be construed any other way? (quit, pulling out, going away, etc etc)
Because of the rest of the sentence? Ill Restate it for you:

I quit Oakley because they quit using moto in their marketing.

Is that good?
Indymxer
12/24/2017 11:03am
kkawboy14 wrote:
kkawboy14 wrote:

Is that good?
You're just a click bait queen.
kkawboy14
12/24/2017 11:14am
kkawboy14 wrote:

Is that good?
Indymxer wrote:
You're just a click bait queen.
Well more of a Princess than Queen!

Post a reply to: Why I quit Oakley!

The Latest