Why can't they figure it out?

walleyeguy
Edited Date/Time 2/12/2018 10:13am
After reading the Jap vs euro bikes thread a little bit I was wondering (I always have actually). Why do we always have to pay $500-$1000 ON TOP of our brand new bikes just because they don't know how to make an exhaust. Do you mean to tell me that FMF, PRO Circuit, Akawhatever has more money for R&D to make a "better" exhaust than the company actually making the bike? Not just exhaust (triple clamps, rotors, bars, suspension, air cleaners, etc.)but why is it that all the parts we replace on our bikes to make them "better" don't just come with it. I don't really want the BS answer of money because buying in bulk and putting on the on the bikes would certainly lower the price of what costs us a fortune.
|
HD1200
2/12/2018 5:17am
I suggest calling this number 605-475-6972 for a detailed explanation in English.
2/12/2018 5:19am
A lot of the parts that are added don’t actually make the bike ‘better’, just more to rider/setup preference. Marketing is a wonderful thing.
newmann
2/12/2018 5:33am
Then you get passed by the guy on the 6 year old stock bike with stock exhaust. All of a sudden it dawns on you that you are still slow.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
2/12/2018 5:40am
Just because an aftermarket part is available doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s better.

The Shop

skypig
2/12/2018 5:56am
Most stock MX bikes can’t be universally improved by adding a few aftermarket parts.
Generally pipes make a very small difference. Except in a few cases like the Husky “Ice cream cone restrictor” pipes might move the power about.

Triple clamps, links and suspension settings are a personal preference based on rider and conditions.

The rider makes a much bigger contribution, percentage wise, than the machine in MX. Especially compared to most other Motorsports.

I think a top rider could finish maybe top ten? (SX or MX) on an otherwise bone stock MX bike with the suspension setup to suit (springs/damping mods)
doghouse
2/12/2018 5:58am
In the old days, the stock parts were really bad, now I'd say most are as good or even better.

Aftermarket is more for preference.
Timo_2824
2/12/2018 6:01am
I used to think like you, then I got passed by a guy riding a street legal enduro at a hare scramble. The guy came up behind me and honked his horn because his exhaust was so quite that the normal revving of the engine wouldn't get anyone's attention. Last 2 bikes I've owned are almost completely stock, the WR did get a stock YZ250F exhaust with a spark arrester insert, but that didn't make near as much of a difference as I thought it would. Marketing hype could get some people to buy water out of a bottle for $2.00 when there is pretty good water available at the tap...
tiddlermx23
2/12/2018 6:05am
Nice to have those aftermarket options when those oem parts break...
walleyeguy
2/12/2018 6:15am
I guess I'm speaking mostly exhaust but then you see how "behind" Suzuki is in stock form. I'm sure Malcolms bike is far better than any stock KTM, Husky, Yamaha, etc. But yeah, especially now that exhausts are reaching that $1000 mark why can't Husky just make an exhaust that is as good as an FMF?
2/12/2018 6:22am
walleyeguy wrote:
I guess I'm speaking mostly exhaust but then you see how "behind" Suzuki is in stock form. I'm sure Malcolms bike is far better than any...
I guess I'm speaking mostly exhaust but then you see how "behind" Suzuki is in stock form. I'm sure Malcolms bike is far better than any stock KTM, Husky, Yamaha, etc. But yeah, especially now that exhausts are reaching that $1000 mark why can't Husky just make an exhaust that is as good as an FMF?
Because OEM have to meet every regulation. If I throw a regular FMF silencer on my 250sx, I’ll get blackflagged for too much noice. Now luckely there are more silencers to choose from. But it’ll be pretty stupid to get pulled out of a race with stock parts.
slipdog
2/12/2018 6:30am
My '17 CRF has a set of RM low Renthal Fat bars, thanks to Manny, and the suspension tuned the way I like it. I pass people all day long at the track with the stock exhaust, clamps, wheels, seat and graphics. Bike works just fine...
mx317
2/12/2018 7:01am
People see the pros running their XYZ exhaust and want to be like them.
Fourth_Floor
2/12/2018 7:44am
I'd be willing to bet that 99% of the posters on this forum CANNOT ride a bone stock 450 to it's full potential. The stock parts nowadays are fine!! I remember the stock parts being so chintzy that you got 3 rides out of the chain and if your bike fell off the stand your handlebars were all bent to shit. The aftermarket stuff now is there for you to make your bike run and feel to your liking and are often LESS EXPENSIVE than buying the OEM replacement.
newmann
2/12/2018 7:48am
Back in 2001 the full ti DSP SX exhaust actually made a huge improvement on my YZ250F. Seems like the dyno tests showed 2 1/2 or 3 hp gain. I think Yamaha purposely choked that one down the first year since it was supposed to be a 125 class legal bike. It also weighed over 3 pounds less than the stock exhaust. $650.00 back then was a chunk for an exhaust system and it made it exactly 30 minutes before the brittle welded seam on the muffler fractured and the can shattered and blew to pieces. They warrantied it and all was good for a couple years. Talk about loud though...Blink
brocster
2/12/2018 8:04am
Slip on bro

Or just cut your stocker 1.75 to 2” shorter and re rivet. Have been doing this for years. Mostly for looks but it does improve the power just a little.
Indymxer
2/12/2018 8:32am
I'd be willing to bet that 99% of the posters on this forum CANNOT ride a bone stock 450 to it's full potential. The stock parts...
I'd be willing to bet that 99% of the posters on this forum CANNOT ride a bone stock 450 to it's full potential. The stock parts nowadays are fine!! I remember the stock parts being so chintzy that you got 3 rides out of the chain and if your bike fell off the stand your handlebars were all bent to shit. The aftermarket stuff now is there for you to make your bike run and feel to your liking and are often LESS EXPENSIVE than buying the OEM replacement.
Aaand there it is. The lame "full potential" four stroke line. Spode much?
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
2/12/2018 9:28am
walleyeguy wrote:
I guess I'm speaking mostly exhaust but then you see how "behind" Suzuki is in stock form. I'm sure Malcolms bike is far better than any...
Not sure about your, but I don't consider these to be massive power increases on the aftermarket systems:

And I'd be willing to bet that Yamaha requires their OEM system to meet a much more stringent durability standard than the aftermarket companies do.
NorCal 50+
2/12/2018 10:12am
Keefer's new podcast with Dubach is good- he talks about how in many cases people are just screwing up their geometry with clamps etc. and stock is usually best. He was talking about pipes too.
It's a vestige from the old days where you had to convert a bike for MX use. It's also a huge industry- we all know those new triple clamps won't make any difference in Vet B, but we buy the stuff anyhow, because it's so cool.
MPJC
Fantasy
704th
2/12/2018 10:13am
I put an FMF silencer on my 250 sx-f, and am not under any illusion that it improves performance. I just like how it looks and sounds. I left the header because from what I read, the stock header is as good as it gets. Now a 2 stroke is a totally different story. You can alter performance considerable with a pipe. Notice, I said "alter," as you're generally just moving power around (e.g. if you like low end torque, get a gnarly - but you give up something on top). Again, it's down to customization for preference moreso than improvement.

Post a reply to: Why can't they figure it out?

The Latest