Why no supercross in Europe

ruy
8/1/2017 9:38am
Well supercross does excist out here there just isn't a "premiere" series for it like you guys have in USA. I have no idea why there...
Well supercross does excist out here there just isn't a "premiere" series for it like you guys have in USA. I have no idea why there hasn't been one the past 20 or so years, but there actually used to be one.

I remember in the mid 90's there was a world supercross series that had rounds in Spain / France / Germany etc.. They actually had quite allot of big USA stars racing it also (McGrath / Ward / Emig / Button..)

We also have a bunch of single type of SX events where they try to bring over some big names, like the Lille SX (former paris-bercy, now going back there in 2017) and some more stuff in Italy & Swizz i believe (Geneva)

France has a pretty prestige SX series but it isn't really well known outside of France, some of the 250 riders have tried USA races in recent years also! (Thomas Do & Maxime Desprey come to mind in recent times)

UK also has a decent Arenacross series, but never really followed that.

Thats all i have about EURO sx, no clue why there are no major series cause i am sure filling football stadiums with a closed roof in winter could be a good concept to bring out tons of fans. (these stadiums are probly not useable though the football "soccer" season is probly happening around then also)
The Frenchs do not let foreigners participate in their Supercross championship, I believe that because of the principle of reciprocity that governs the world, French pilots should not be allowed to participate in any official supercross championships outside of France, but the reality is that They participate in the American championship, when the Americans can not participate in the French championship and participate in the British when the British can not participate in the French championship. And then the French turn out to be the best in Europe in supercross, and the other countries tolerate it and do not equate it
ak23
8/1/2017 9:41am Edited Date/Time 8/1/2017 11:53am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Weather and facility tenant related, most likely........ We get away with having a lot of races early in the year in the warmer areas of the...
Weather and facility tenant related, most likely........

We get away with having a lot of races early in the year in the warmer areas of the country while our two biggest "stadium sports" (football and baseball) aren't using their facilities. Soccer is more year round, with natural grass and open stadiums that would probably result in a lot more mudfests over there than we get here, ruining the fields for the soccer teams.
Guess i never thought about that - they really don't have baseball, football - f1 but not nascar - basketball and hockey have a little presence i think? Im guessing sx is so popular because of the fan base - closer to big cities, viewing the entire track from an indoor setting?
8/1/2017 9:58am
Because it's just not the same as standing trackside in a muddy field haha

Seriously though I don't know about other countries but here it mostly comes down to lack of interest, it's seen as a different sport altogether and doesnt have the numbers interested to facilitate a series on the scale of the GPs
F.B
8/1/2017 10:42am
F.B wrote:
I'm actually hanging out with a bunch of hairy girls. Played a lot of fucking pétanque league this morning while I wait for an offer to...
I'm actually hanging out with a bunch of hairy girls.

Played a lot of fucking pétanque league this morning while I wait for an offer to be accepted or declined on a scarf warehouse location.

Feels fucking great.

Might order a snail pizza, open a bottle of côtes-du-rhône, take a nap, doesn't really matter matter.
LaughingLaughingLaughing

HOF post!
Let me double Crisp BROAAP's laugh!

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
You guys wouldn't believe how hairy their legs are. Harrybro, I bet your back looks like a deforested area of Amazonia in comparison.

The Shop

Robgvx
8/1/2017 10:48am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/01/207486/s1200_1teec9.jpg[/img]

My very own meme. Thanks!
F.B
8/1/2017 11:13am
Because it's just not the same as standing trackside in a muddy field haha Seriously though I don't know about other countries but here it mostly...
Because it's just not the same as standing trackside in a muddy field haha

Seriously though I don't know about other countries but here it mostly comes down to lack of interest, it's seen as a different sport altogether and doesnt have the numbers interested to facilitate a series on the scale of the GPs
They could always bring back the Stade de France SX for the mud fans. I chose to attend that race instead of Bercy that year, I was 13 and I remember being pissed at my decision as I watched the mudder in my soaked clothes from the lower stands. Grinning

https://youtu.be/rUh2Eh4M9qw
F.B
8/1/2017 11:24am
ruy wrote:
The Frenchs do not let foreigners participate in their Supercross championship, I believe that because of the principle of reciprocity that governs the world, French pilots...
The Frenchs do not let foreigners participate in their Supercross championship, I believe that because of the principle of reciprocity that governs the world, French pilots should not be allowed to participate in any official supercross championships outside of France, but the reality is that They participate in the American championship, when the Americans can not participate in the French championship and participate in the British when the British can not participate in the French championship. And then the French turn out to be the best in Europe in supercross, and the other countries tolerate it and do not equate it
Wrong. Riders from any country can participate.
8/1/2017 11:27am
LaughingLaughingLaughing

HOF post!
Let me double Crisp BROAAP's laugh!

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
F.B wrote:
You guys wouldn't believe how hairy their legs are. Harrybro, I bet your back looks like a deforested area of Amazonia in comparison.
That is not possible. Shocked
8/1/2017 11:28am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/01/207486/s1200_1teec9.jpg[/img]

Robgvx wrote:
My very own meme. Thanks!
Much welcome!
kkawboy14
8/1/2017 11:32am
Nobody will do it for free
Nobody will pay Luongo $450,000 for a sx race
Nobody has an air conditioned building
Nobody has a Factory ECU
philG
8/1/2017 12:17pm
F.B wrote:
It is made very difficult, to be non french and participate in the french series, you must join a French club, which means a French license, and to do that you need a French address, we would have to suspend our UK license to do this, which means you cant use the insurance of your home federation, which makes it hard to ride.

In the French SM series you basically have to buy a ride on a team to get in, rather than just enter like we do to ride in Germany and Belgium.

This means French teams hire french riders , and french people go to watch them race , with french sponsors picking up the tab... you can do it, but unless you are on a french team it is made 'un-easy', same as entry to Le Touquet etc.

The upside of that is a great domestic series, whereas ours is full of French riders taking rides on english teams, putting our guys out of a ride... hence why i dont go to watch French and 3rd string US guys ..
kkawboy14
8/1/2017 12:20pm
F.B wrote:
philG wrote:
It is made very difficult, to be non french and participate in the french series, you must join a French club, which means a French license...
It is made very difficult, to be non french and participate in the french series, you must join a French club, which means a French license, and to do that you need a French address, we would have to suspend our UK license to do this, which means you cant use the insurance of your home federation, which makes it hard to ride.

In the French SM series you basically have to buy a ride on a team to get in, rather than just enter like we do to ride in Germany and Belgium.

This means French teams hire french riders , and french people go to watch them race , with french sponsors picking up the tab... you can do it, but unless you are on a french team it is made 'un-easy', same as entry to Le Touquet etc.

The upside of that is a great domestic series, whereas ours is full of French riders taking rides on english teams, putting our guys out of a ride... hence why i dont go to watch French and 3rd string US guys ..
You guys need to join The European Union!
philG
8/1/2017 12:26pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
You guys need to join The European Union!
That made me LOL..

The French, like the Italians will do anything they can to make sure their National Champ is a home rider, pretty sure the Italian Champion is the top scoring home rider, no matter how far back that is.
8/1/2017 12:50pm
They like actual good racing in Europe. Supercross blows, and is the reason our guys get their asses kicked at every MXDN.
That's basically it. That's like asking why the Europeans don't flock to oval-track racing. It's because stadium-style racing sucks, and the Europeans understand that. Never gonna happen.

It's odd to me in a way. Traditional American stick-and-ball sports are the absolute best, and soccer will never, ever rival the MLB/NFL/NBA holy trinity of team sports. But racing, curiously, is the other way around. NASCAR, IndyCar, IMSA, MotoAmerica (as it's now known), Supercross, drag racing ... they're are all shit pandering to a low-end audience. All American racing is shit, and Supercross is bottom of the barrel.

8/1/2017 12:58pm
They like actual good racing in Europe. Supercross blows, and is the reason our guys get their asses kicked at every MXDN.
I wouldn't say that's the reason we lose. When's the last time we sent our BEST guys? Past few years we've had Anderson go Barcia go and Webb. Webb wasn't even a 450 rider. Last year we should've won with our B team but ando got knocked out
8/1/2017 1:03pm
That's basically it. That's like asking why the Europeans don't flock to oval-track racing. It's because stadium-style racing sucks, and the Europeans understand that. Never gonna...
That's basically it. That's like asking why the Europeans don't flock to oval-track racing. It's because stadium-style racing sucks, and the Europeans understand that. Never gonna happen.

It's odd to me in a way. Traditional American stick-and-ball sports are the absolute best, and soccer will never, ever rival the MLB/NFL/NBA holy trinity of team sports. But racing, curiously, is the other way around. NASCAR, IndyCar, IMSA, MotoAmerica (as it's now known), Supercross, drag racing ... they're are all shit pandering to a low-end audience. All American racing is shit, and Supercross is bottom of the barrel.

Hey, just because my back hair is dragging three feet behind me on the deck doesn't mean I'm "low-end audience"!
8/1/2017 1:12pm
Also, isn't soccer played by guys with no chest or back hair? Someone prove me wrong!
8/1/2017 1:41pm
Also, isn't soccer played by guys with no chest or back hair? Someone prove me wrong!
You know what they say about soccer in America: "It's the sport of the future ... and always will be."
MohMoto14
8/1/2017 8:17pm
You know what they say about soccer in America: "It's the sport of the future ... and always will be."
Probably is with all this concussion stuff coming to light. I agree things needed to change with alot of sports but it will be taken to far and probably eventually kill football at the least. Supercross needs some changes (kill the 450's) but that's a whole other subject we just had a thread on recently.
MohMoto14
8/1/2017 8:25pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Nobody will do it for free
Nobody will pay Luongo $450,000 for a sx race
Nobody has an air conditioned building
Nobody has a Factory ECU
Why does it have to be for free? I get you may struggle starting out but seems eventually it should profit big.

Does Luigi have a monopoly over all Moto in Europe, to have a race would you really have to involve him?

Does no one have a factory ECU and purple powerband for an air conditioner laying around?
8/1/2017 8:53pm
Oh man can we please stop talking about soccer my eyes are bleeding
Xavier
8/2/2017 4:40am
F.B wrote:
philG wrote:
It is made very difficult, to be non french and participate in the french series, you must join a French club, which means a French license...

Phil I don't know about SM (doubt it'd be much different) but for the French SX championship, racers from any country can participate with their own federation licence and a visa-permission supplied by that federation.
Ruy, there have been several Spanish riders (Juan Cros comes to mind) + Italians, Germans, Brits etc doing just that, for years.
Some of them have won races or made podiums (Deli Esposti, Pellegrini, Hsu, etc).
ruy
8/2/2017 5:32am
Xavier wrote:
Phil I don't know about SM (doubt it'd be much different) but for the French SX championship, racers from any country can participate with their own...
Phil I don't know about SM (doubt it'd be much different) but for the French SX championship, racers from any country can participate with their own federation licence and a visa-permission supplied by that federation.
Ruy, there have been several Spanish riders (Juan Cros comes to mind) + Italians, Germans, Brits etc doing just that, for years.
Some of them have won races or made podiums (Deli Esposti, Pellegrini, Hsu, etc).
Possibly changed these last years, if it was so, it would have to see why, but before it was as it said Phill.
philG
8/2/2017 9:05am
F.B wrote:
philG wrote:

Xavier wrote:
Phil I don't know about SM (doubt it'd be much different) but for the French SX championship, racers from any country can participate with their own...
The guys who i used to race in the UK from the Channel Islands used to do the French but it got difficult... i race in Germany , Belgium and Czech with permission from my home federation , no problems at all, as you say, but unless you run International class , they dont want to let you in. Guy from here does it on a French license because its just easier, especially as he doesnt race in UK like me .

Post a reply to: Why no supercross in Europe

The Latest