Wilkes-Barre arenacross, the amateur aftermath

tomm55x
Edited Date/Time 2/11/2015 11:27am
Hello fellow vital mx'ers, my name is Tom and I will be attending the Wilkes-Barre arenacross February 7th and racing the amateur day on the 8th and was wondering if anyone else on this site is going. I'm up for meeting some new people seeing as I'll probably be going by myself. Iv never raced indoors before so this will be a 1st for myself, I'm sure they will tame the track down for amateur racing, well I hope so anyway! It's a five hour drive for me and will be in a blizzard most likely but to no avail I'm going to get there come hell or high water lol. I'll put up a picture of my bike to be recognizable, come over and say hi if you would like!!

|
2/5/2015 5:27am
I'm contemplating it but haven't made a final decision yet. Have a few buddies going that keep trying to sway me. They will definitely tame the track down, shallower whoops, smaller finish line jump etc. I'll keep an eye out for ya if I make it up!
tbanks
2/5/2015 5:40am
I've been to Wilkes-Barre many times in the past and have raced there once. Have fun out there. For your first indoor race, just try to keep your momentum up, it is very easy to go stop and go.

It has been a while since I was up there but the turnout was always pretty good. Hope you have a great time.....
tomm55x
2/5/2015 6:20am
Ridinbeast - sounds good, you should go if it's not to much trouble! Tbanks - thanks for the advice I will definitely use it!

The Shop

hvaughn88
2/5/2015 6:31am
Sounds awesome & good luck in the race. Take some pictures and post 'em up.
Grieby54
2/5/2015 6:47am
I raced the Colorado Springs AX. It was a good time!

The track will be tamed down a bit and you'll just stay in 2nd the whole time. I'll echo the advice above - focus on the corners and keeping momentum up. Also, don't be afraid to take the line away to make a pass - don't spend too long behind someone waiting for the perfect opportunity.
ktm212
2/5/2015 6:57am
Be there mechanicing for the #13 KTM Dave Ginolfi Friday & Saturday nights.. if you can try and get there earlier Saturday to do the track walk/pit party, It'll give you some perspective of the pro track versus what you'll race Sunday. they really mellow it out for amateurs. it'll be nasty and rutted though for sure so better be on your toes.
Mungusman
2/5/2015 7:52am
My boy and I will be there, been there several times watching, but this year he's going to race also. He'll be in the 7-9 and 7-11 65cc class. He's #26 on a kx 65. Maybe we'll see Ya.
tomm55x
2/5/2015 8:43am
Thanks to everyone that has responded, the advice is well needed, hvaughn88, thanks sir, I will try to take as many pictures as I can! To the guys going, it's my understanding that we will be pitting inside big tents with heat ( i hope so it's a whopping 9 degrees in erie now lol)so maybe it will be easier to find everyone. I'm going to try and get there Saturday before 2, just depends on the weather, I'm going to give myself plenty of time to get there, ktm212 that sounds like a great idea, I'll be looking for you and mungusman for sure!!
tomm55x
2/5/2015 8:45am
Grieby54, great advice also, I'm not sure how I'll do, my plan is to finish and have fun while doing so!!
2/5/2015 9:26am Edited Date/Time 2/5/2015 9:26am
One thing I found at arenacross is its very fast-paced as far as practice sessions, getting set up etc.

In Baltimore at least the pits are extremely tight. You've got to have all your ducks in a row and be very organized. Definitely don't plan on bike repairs and crap like that because the schedule moves fast and the pits are crazy. You also have to keep your gas cans outside so account for time to run in and out for that. As someone said, on a 450 I didn't eve shift. Left it in second all the way around.

Arenacross is really cool. The toughest thing are the whoops. Plus you will find the jumps are peakier but they aren't a big deal except for catapult. Be careful of over-jumping that thing because it will toss you.
I went to the Vegas finals in 2010 and that was an amazing thing. Freaking awesome to race a stadium.
Grieby54
2/5/2015 9:33am
tomm55x wrote:
Grieby54, great advice also, I'm not sure how I'll do, my plan is to finish and have fun while doing so!!
That's the right attitude for sure.
752dad
2/5/2015 9:43am
Hey Tom
We did the Grand Rapids round with my boy. Pits are definitely tight. I can't see needing fuel, unless you are riding 5 classes.
You should enter at least 2 classes.
It's a good experience, have fun.

tomm55x
2/6/2015 3:06am
One thing I found at arenacross is its very fast-paced as far as practice sessions, getting set up etc. In Baltimore at least the pits are...
One thing I found at arenacross is its very fast-paced as far as practice sessions, getting set up etc.

In Baltimore at least the pits are extremely tight. You've got to have all your ducks in a row and be very organized. Definitely don't plan on bike repairs and crap like that because the schedule moves fast and the pits are crazy. You also have to keep your gas cans outside so account for time to run in and out for that. As someone said, on a 450 I didn't eve shift. Left it in second all the way around.

Arenacross is really cool. The toughest thing are the whoops. Plus you will find the jumps are peakier but they aren't a big deal except for catapult. Be careful of over-jumping that thing because it will toss you.
I went to the Vegas finals in 2010 and that was an amazing thing. Freaking awesome to race a stadium.
Thanks, I was told we will be pitting in heated tents outside, I'm taking propane and a heater just in case seeing as its been a high of 8 to 10 degrees lol yes I'm trying to come in there prepared and ready to go, I have a slight touch of ocd so I should be organized, the peaky jumps are something I'm not used to but I will try to adapt an overcome!!
tomm55x
2/6/2015 3:09am
752dad wrote:
Hey Tom We did the Grand Rapids round with my boy. Pits are definitely tight. I can't see needing fuel, unless you are riding 5 classes...
Hey Tom
We did the Grand Rapids round with my boy. Pits are definitely tight. I can't see needing fuel, unless you are riding 5 classes.
You should enter at least 2 classes.
It's a good experience, have fun.

I'm going to fill my tank and hope for the best, I'm going to run 3 classes, I'm still trying to get someone to go with me to help out, looks like you and your son had a good time, that's is the plan, good times and finishing, iv rode once last week since the vet Nationals in October so I am out of shape.
752dad
2/8/2015 4:30pm
Hey Tom,
I hope things went well for your first Arenacross experience.
Fill us in.
Sorry my pic above is so fn giant
tomm55x
2/10/2015 12:26pm
Hello fellow vital mx'ers, here is my review on my first arenacross event at Wilkes-Barre. To start off I would like to thank the Arenacross personal, they were helpful, friendly, patient and ran a tight ship, they answered any questions I had very politely and were again very helpful. The amateur event was packed, there were tons of entries and being that way made the pits very chaotic with most of us being in the heated tents they provided, thank goodness cause it was cold! Thankfully I got my brother to come with me, I wouldn't recommend doing this alone, he's never been to any motocross race's of any kind so he got enlightened an AX and amateur AX. My first thought pulling in Sunday morning was chaos seeing the packed pit area, you couldn't drive down to the pit so we backed the truck up as far as we could while getting yelled at by security to unload as fast as we could and had to pull a 1/4 mile away to park. Some advice to anyone going to one of these, take what u need and that's it!! I missed my 1st 2 practice sessions, made my 3rd though. Once the program starts they hustle though it like iv never seen before, fast, efficient and flowing!! I had back to back classes, that sucked!! Once again though I alerted the track referee to this dilemma and they made sure I could pull off the track and go directly back into staging and get lined up without starting without me. All in all I wasn't last and I wasn't 1st in any race's, from the front row I pulled some great starts, the whoops were my weakness, iv never rode on them that big before, they were small to some people, to me they were big, I figured it out by my mains though and was able to pickup alot more speed through them. Starting from the back row was a total bitch!! I didn't even set my holeshot device because I wasn't interested in eating shit to the face or the first turn pileup lol there was tons of pileups and body's and bikes flying everywhere, all of which I avoided thank goodness!! Let me say arenacross is a war out there, it's take no prisoners and guys blow in your line when you are over half way up the jump faces. My main problem was fitness and riding once since October really really hurt me. I would like to say thanks to the people on here that gave me advice, every bit of it was useful information, I look forward to trying arenacross again but it will have to wait till next year when the tour comes somewhat close to good old erie pa, I don't have any pictures to post, as much as I wanted to document this trip it kinda just fell by the wayside as it was a very busy day, o and Matt Wozney, I saw you hard at work Saturday night, I wanted to say hi but u looked quite busy yourself and I didn't want to bother anyone while working!! Thanks again everyone and I hope you enjoy reading this, if arenacross is in your neck of the woods I encourage you to give it a try!! sorry I wrote a book lol.
Tom
hvaughn88
2/10/2015 12:33pm
awesome write-up, tom. Glad you enjoyed it and definitely gives some insight for guys like me who will never experience something like that.
rosebud441
2/10/2015 12:34pm
Way to go Tom, glad you made it out alive.. Good description of AX that's exactly how it is up here too
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
2/10/2015 12:41pm
Awesome read, thanks for the writeup.

I'm seriously considering making it down to Austin in March. It's been a long time since I've raced arenacross, and the last time I raced I got passed for the overall on the last corner when my hand slipped off the throttle on the face of the over/under bridge. The guy that won basically booted me off the track when he saw my mistake so I know what you mean by it feeling like a war out there. Left a bad taste in my mouth and I need to go back and get that win!

philG
2/10/2015 12:52pm
nice report... congrats
wildbill
2/10/2015 1:12pm

That's what it's all about Tomm. Glad you had fun and thanks for sharing your story. Cool
2/10/2015 6:30pm
Hey you made it through and that's the main thing. Arenacross is another level of intensity. Told ya the pits are crazy! Woohoo
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
2/10/2015 7:27pm
Cool read. Way to go Tom. Good times.
tomm55x
2/11/2015 4:03am
Zdog, they take the catapult and make it a table top kinda, u could still come up short and wreck and I was close to doing just that until I figured out the seat bounce, then I was getting over it cleanly. The pits were indeed crazy, there was a parent fight at one point, I was laughing my ass off watching grown men about to go to fisticuffs over their 8 year olds running into each other, I mean come on dudes they are 8 for crying out loud!! Glad you guys liked that read, I am going to try qualifying for Loretta's northeast region next for the first time, I will document that trip a little better and maybe go pro some racing, I would have a go pro video of arenacross but someone forgot the helmet mount, that would have been me, my brother is right, I need to make a list of everything I take and that will make things easier. Thanks again everyone, I appreciate all the comments and advice!!!
tomm55x
2/11/2015 5:07am
250c which I didn't qualify, +30 and +35
motomike137
2/11/2015 9:01am
Nice write up tomm55x. I can only imagine how hectic and chaotic AX is under race conditions with a whole lot of other blood thirsty newbs out there with you!
2/11/2015 11:27am
Racing the Charlotte Arenacross back in 2002 was a VERY humbling experience for me Laughing .. I was just a novice 125 rider with about a year of local racing under my belt. I had never in my life ridden whoops so peaky or seen, let alone hit a jump face as straight up and down vertical as the finish line kicker. Amazing how much of that perspective is lost on the television broadcast of the races.

I didn't finish well but had a total blast doing it! Oh yea, that night after destroying his class, Les Smith took a victory lap and hit the finish line kicker on his 65cc KTM and the place went nuts!! Good times and great memories for sure.

Post a reply to: Wilkes-Barre arenacross, the amateur aftermath

The Latest