Womens GP class Is

DanDunes818
5/8/2010 1:50pm Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 11:42pm
way faster and deeper then here in the US. The GP girls haul ass. The top girls qualifying times were almost (like 1 sec off) fast enough this week to make the GP field straight up. Livia Lancelot ,Stefy Laier, Maria Franke,Elin Mann, Natalie Kane, Chiara Fontanesi, and Panpenmier could all win the USA womens championship if they raced here. If you guys haven't watched a womens GP moto you need to because the racing over there is incredible. Ashley Fiolek barely made podiums last year over there and this year she was even further off the GP girls pace. Ashley could only manage a 4th and a 6th at round one in Bulgaria. I think the reason Ashley comes out swinging in the US though is because she goes over to Europe and races the best girls in the world..I'd like to see how J Patterson would do over there.

To put their speed in perspective Livia Lancelot in the womens first moto today ran a 2:07 . Jacquelin, Morgane (a man for those that don't know..lol) got 22nd in the mx1 qualifier on the same track the same day and his fast lap was a 2:07.. There were guys in the mx1 qualifier running 2:08 and 2:09 too. And from 25th place back in the mx2 qualifier race they were running 2:07's too.

I'm also stoked to see Livia Lancelot back up to speed after her injury last year. I was starting to think Stefy Laier was going to dominate this year but it looks like Livia is back.
|
mac3-d
5/8/2010 2:08pm
first race top 5 all on KTM
DanDunes818
5/8/2010 2:11pm
mac3-d wrote:
Yep... And Stefy is riding the 350 right?
Ing
5/8/2010 2:13pm
mac3-d wrote:
Impossible, don't they know KTM will never be any good at MX/SX. Silly girls.
Alex
5/8/2010 2:26pm Edited Date/Time 5/8/2010 2:33pm
Not to put a downer on the thread because Livias laptimes were rediculous,but after Larissa Papenmeier in 11th theres big gap to 12th place. Womens racing has come a long way in 5 years and for sure the top 11 or 12 are really fast but its gonna be a few years yet before we see a full line up of 30 + girls at a similar level. (By that I mean all within 10 or 12 sec of pole)

The Shop

DanDunes818
5/8/2010 2:43pm Edited Date/Time 5/8/2010 2:49pm
Alex wrote:
Not to put a downer on the thread because Livias laptimes were rediculous,but after Larissa Papenmeier in 11th theres big gap to 12th place. Womens...
Not to put a downer on the thread because Livias laptimes were rediculous,but after Larissa Papenmeier in 11th theres big gap to 12th place. Womens racing has come a long way in 5 years and for sure the top 11 or 12 are really fast but its gonna be a few years yet before we see a full line up of 30 + girls at a similar level. (By that I mean all within 10 or 12 sec of pole)
I agree with most of what you said. Except about Papenmeier. The girl hauls ass just not in the sand. She was #2 in the world last year for a reason. I know she would of been third if it wasn't for Livia's injury but she did beat Laier and Lancelot a few times straight up last year. And Papenmeier came from behind and passed Ashley Fiolek late in the 1st heat in Bulgaria and beat her straight up. That kind of proves what this thread was trying to prove and that's that the womens GP's are super fast and deep. When a girl that got 11th this week has the speed to pass and leave Ashley behind the round before it says allot about the depth of the girls in Europe.

IMO I think the Des Nations should be MX1 MX2 and a Girls class instead of MX3. I think most of the countries at least the top country's have a fast girl Rep. USA Fiolek or Patterson, France--Lancelot, Germans have 3 super fast girls but Stefy seems to be the fastest, Italy has Fontanessi, GBR has Kane, Sweden has Mann. etc..etc.. I think having a girls heat would be awesome.
Ing
5/8/2010 3:21pm
I agree with most of what you said. Except about Papenmeier. The girl hauls ass just not in the sand. She was #2 in the world...
I agree with most of what you said. Except about Papenmeier. The girl hauls ass just not in the sand. She was #2 in the world last year for a reason. I know she would of been third if it wasn't for Livia's injury but she did beat Laier and Lancelot a few times straight up last year. And Papenmeier came from behind and passed Ashley Fiolek late in the 1st heat in Bulgaria and beat her straight up. That kind of proves what this thread was trying to prove and that's that the womens GP's are super fast and deep. When a girl that got 11th this week has the speed to pass and leave Ashley behind the round before it says allot about the depth of the girls in Europe.

IMO I think the Des Nations should be MX1 MX2 and a Girls class instead of MX3. I think most of the countries at least the top country's have a fast girl Rep. USA Fiolek or Patterson, France--Lancelot, Germans have 3 super fast girls but Stefy seems to be the fastest, Italy has Fontanessi, GBR has Kane, Sweden has Mann. etc..etc.. I think having a girls heat would be awesome.
That's actually a pretty neat idea you got there.
5/8/2010 3:44pm Edited Date/Time 5/8/2010 11:55pm
mac3-d wrote:
So, there are enough 350s in Europe a women can get one???(nothing wrong with Stefy getting one) But there is only one in the United states, with not many spare parts????What is up with that???
mccread
5/8/2010 3:45pm
Natalie Kane is riding with a broken wrist and still got 5th
DanDunes818
5/8/2010 4:02pm
mccread wrote:
Natalie Kane is riding with a broken wrist and still got 5th
IMO Natalie will be world champ in 2012. That's unless that young girl Courtney Duncan from NZ doesn't go pro before then. I think Courtney Duncan will be the 1st girl to qualify for a AMA national or a GP if she continues to progress the way she's been progressing. Courtney is one of the worlds fastest 80cc riders against the boys right now. I know Marian Balbi qualified for the Brazilian GP last year but that was only because there wasn't more then 40 riders trying to qualify so she qualified by default technically.

It's funny how having 4 daughters can turn you into a girls MX fan.
klein8
5/8/2010 4:40pm
One reason europe is ahead of the US in womens mx is because of a lack of factory support like they have in europe.Many fast women have simply quit racing or just race local because of a lack of factory support . Here is just short list of Lorettas winners or podium finishers ,Leah Cantrell, Ashley Wheat, Tori Klein, Marissa Hampshire, Shelly Kann , Kristen Raemisch. None of them recieved true factory support to allow them to race the entire WMA series. I am sure there is a lot more out there that I have missed !
hairy
5/9/2010 1:04am
mac3-d wrote:
1911 wrote:
So, there are enough 350s in Europe a women can get one???(nothing wrong with Stefy getting one) But there is only one in the United states...
So, there are enough 350s in Europe a women can get one???(nothing wrong with Stefy getting one) But there is only one in the United states, with not many spare parts????What is up with that???
The WMX GP class limit is 250cc 4 stroke, 125cc 2 stroke, just like MX2. Laier's bike is a 2010 SSX but the guys at the factory built her a one-off with an E-starter. As to the times in Portugal, track conditions played a big part, but Livi's 2-07 was a wicked lap to get in front and clear off in case Laier could get through the pack quickly after going down at turn one. Incidentally, Kane also has an E-starter, courtesy of her Oz mechanic Andy Pringle.
Alex
5/9/2010 5:13am
E-starter. Is that because they're short arses. Smile

Post a reply to: Womens GP class Is

The Latest