Would you buy a cybertruck to haul your ride?

Yzf916
11/26/2019 10:41pm
Uhh. That’s a hard NO. Until range is UP. Charge time is DOWN. And cost is DOWN. It’s continues to be just a greenies pipe dream. Remember kiddies. It doesn’t matter how good it makes you “feel”. It has to be economically feasible. Otherwise it will go the way of the last dozen or so electric boondoggle iterations we’ve watched come and go the last few decades. My 2019 truck goes nearly 450 miles between fillups. Which costs $30 and takes about 5 minutes. There is an array of fuel pumps on every exit. And my truck cost about $28,000. We’re not there yet Francis. No matter how good it makes you “feel”.
davis224
Fantasy
182nd
11/27/2019 2:45am
Jesse James has a interesting post in regards to Batteries and Electric tech. After looking into it further. There are some concerns. But I suppose we...
Jesse James has a interesting post in regards to Batteries and Electric tech. After looking into it further. There are some concerns. But I suppose we have to start some where. It was on his Instagram account.

Ghost
-MAVERICK- wrote:
View this post on Instagram

ELECTRIC BOOGALOOS I would like to start of by saying electric cars and motorcycles can F*ck Off!. Ok now that we have that out of the way I can explain exactly why. First and foremost let’s talk about the Ohh so “planet friendly” Formula E racing series. Now at first glance you might think that this “clean” form of racing must be the way of the future, right?? Not so much. Let take a peek at what’s really going on. The very first indication this might be Bullshit is the 20 CAT Diesel generators in the pits running full throttle charging the batteries for these cars. Each car uses two 550 pound Lithium batteries per race. These batteries put out 250KW of power, and have a maximum output of 54KWH (kilowatt hours). On the high side the average U.S. home uses about 20KWH of power per day. One Formula E car, in one race uses four times that in 50 minutes. The recent Hong Kong race had 25 cars on the grid, using fifty 550lb Lithium batteries in 50 minutes. That’s a total of 2700 Kilowatt Hours. Or more than enough to power 10 homes for a month. That’s a lot of juice! Also the five power-plants in Hong Kong are powered by Diesel, Coal, and Gasoline. Whoopsie! Now let’s take a look at these newfangled Lithium batteries. The big companies hawking electric cars and motorcycles would love you to believe that Fossil fuel is so harmful, and electric power is so clean. It’s actually the opposite. We are swapping a carbon monoxide problem that is fixable and controllable. For a toxic Lithium mining that kills wild life, ruins the water table and destroys agriculture. The mining process uses a ton of water. A million gallons of water per 2 metric tons of lithium(Each Tesla has 12 kilos of Lithium). In some South American countries like Chile. Lithium mining uses almost 70% of the countries water supply. Also if you are naive enough to think that there isn’t a bunch of diesel powered machinery used in the process? Think again. These Lithium batteries also leave a toxic footprint on the way out. Contamination of landfills and seeping into the water table.........

A post shared by Jesse James (@popeofwelding) on Nov 24, 2019 at 8:23am PST

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Litium Ion batteries do not require lithium to be mined, just the copper (like the mine in this picture) and aluminum, both of which can be recycled. I believe Lithium Ion is sourced by siphoning very brine-y ground water, and letting it evaporate, and the material left over is used to make the internals of the battery.
Ross501
11/27/2019 8:19am Edited Date/Time 11/27/2019 8:20am
I wonder why some investment in creating a small diesel motor driving an electric generator and electric motors hasn’t been tried and invested in. It would be similar to how modern diesel locomotives operate.
That would cure the refueling woes and still be more efficient.

The Shop

peltier626
11/27/2019 8:33am
Ross501 wrote:
I wonder why some investment in creating a small diesel motor driving an electric generator and electric motors hasn’t been tried and invested in. It would...
I wonder why some investment in creating a small diesel motor driving an electric generator and electric motors hasn’t been tried and invested in. It would be similar to how modern diesel locomotives operate.
Check out the 2021 tundra.
11/27/2019 8:38am Edited Date/Time 11/27/2019 8:52am
Ross501 wrote:
I wonder why some investment in creating a small diesel motor driving an electric generator and electric motors hasn’t been tried and invested in. It would...
That is in the "Plug-in hybrid" or "Extended Range Electric" segment, although I don't know of a diesel currently. See Chevrolet Volt or BMW i3 when equipped with range extender option.
KHI Guy
11/27/2019 9:10am
Is it just me, but the more I look at it, the less ugly it becomes..
I agree. Some angles look rather ugly, but other angles actually look pretty cool. It is really growing on me.

People seem to forget that this truck is still in concept/pre-production stage. This iteration may be pretty far away from meeting NHTSA safety standards, so I expect that the appearance will change somewhat when they add mirrors and other government mandated stuff. Personally, I can't wait to see one in person in a couple years. It would look cool in brushed/black stainless.
wsmille2
11/27/2019 9:48am
Up to 250k orders.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1864th
11/27/2019 9:48am
A ton of people are anti electric and think it's a downgrade in performance for some reason. Electric powered vehicles are going to rip your head...
A ton of people are anti electric and think it's a downgrade in performance for some reason. Electric powered vehicles are going to rip your head off with the hp/torque. Aren't some of you old enough to remember playing with slot cars? Those things rip so fast they fly off the track and hit nearby people or pets. I had one get caught up in the cat's tail.

Anyone have one of these growing up? Electric rips. Yes, range is not idea yet but they will get it sorted out.

I had that RC car...still have an original Kyosho Ultima
STLSharky
11/27/2019 10:51am
Electric has no appeal to me at all. Don’t really see a good reason for it.
kids a carpenter drives his truck sometimes a few times a week 100-200 miles round trip at 530am to find out they are not working! thats what its for!

Doesn't get paid miles, gas or for his time.
11/27/2019 10:54am Edited Date/Time 11/27/2019 10:55am
Electric has no appeal to me at all. Don’t really see a good reason for it.
STLSharky wrote:
kids a carpenter drives his truck sometimes a few times a week 100-200 miles round trip at 530am to find out they are not working! thats...
kids a carpenter drives his truck sometimes a few times a week 100-200 miles round trip at 530am to find out they are not working! thats what its for!

Doesn't get paid miles, gas or for his time.
Sounds like you've got an opportunity to give your boy a slam-dunk gift coming up

bluepumpkin
11/27/2019 12:04pm
Yzf916 wrote:
Uhh. That’s a hard NO. Until range is UP. Charge time is DOWN. And cost is DOWN. It’s continues to be just a greenies pipe dream...
Uhh. That’s a hard NO. Until range is UP. Charge time is DOWN. And cost is DOWN. It’s continues to be just a greenies pipe dream. Remember kiddies. It doesn’t matter how good it makes you “feel”. It has to be economically feasible. Otherwise it will go the way of the last dozen or so electric boondoggle iterations we’ve watched come and go the last few decades. My 2019 truck goes nearly 450 miles between fillups. Which costs $30 and takes about 5 minutes. There is an array of fuel pumps on every exit. And my truck cost about $28,000. We’re not there yet Francis. No matter how good it makes you “feel”.
What kind of truck do you have where $30 will take you 450 miles?
Tenacious P
11/27/2019 12:20pm Edited Date/Time 11/27/2019 12:20pm
I keep thinking this is a big old trolling joke. Then I remember that this is a publically traded company so they can’t possibly take such a risk on a joke. Then I remember Musk.
So now I’m back to square one. IS THIS THING REAL?!?!?
Premix
11/27/2019 1:07pm
Bet he’s got the ultimate lesbian mobile.

11/27/2019 3:32pm
Is it just me, but the more I look at it, the less ugly it becomes..
Still looks BFUGLY to me.
zehn
11/27/2019 4:18pm Edited Date/Time 11/27/2019 4:19pm
Yzf916 wrote:
Uhh. That’s a hard NO. Until range is UP. Charge time is DOWN. And cost is DOWN. It’s continues to be just a greenies pipe dream...
He doesn't because such a thing doesn't exist
Yzf916
11/27/2019 4:24pm
Apologies. $40 fillup. 380miles. GMC Sierra doublecab. 5.3liter. 355hp/385 torque.
Yzf916
11/27/2019 4:27pm
The point still remains. E-vehicles competitive with ICE are still years away. Range, cost, recharge times are just not convenient or economical yet to satisfy the average need of most drivers.
11/27/2019 5:06pm
Yzf916 wrote:
The point still remains. E-vehicles competitive with ICE are still years away. Range, cost, recharge times are just not convenient or economical yet to satisfy the...
The point still remains. E-vehicles competitive with ICE are still years away. Range, cost, recharge times are just not convenient or economical yet to satisfy the average need of most drivers.
This!!!!!!!

Battery technology has not progressed enough yet.
11/27/2019 5:12pm
Yzf916 wrote:
The point still remains. E-vehicles competitive with ICE are still years away. Range, cost, recharge times are just not convenient or economical yet to satisfy the...
I disagree. 250 miles range with performance better than a lot of the gasoline trucks out there for 39K with easily 3x less operating cost after you purchase it. How is that not competitive? Want better performance and range? 49K is still a bargain for AWD, 300+ mile range, and 0-60 in less than 4.5 seconds. IN A TRUCK! And you can tow over 10,000 lbs!

For comparison, the Ford Raptor does 0-60 in 5.7 seconds, has a tow rating of only 6000lbs, and STARTS at 52K, but is easily a 70-80K truck with the options you'd want.

The numbers don't lie. The CyberTruck outperforms the coveted Ford F150 Raptor while also towing like a F350 Turbo Diesel, and doing so at the cost less than America's best selling vehicle, the Ford F150.

Maybe my situation here in southern California is different than yours. We have multiple tracks within 50 miles, and my job (if go into the office) is 50 miles away. So doing over 100 miles of driving in 1 day is pretty rare. If i'm doing longer trips than that, i'll likely want to stop and take a 30 minute break anyway. So i'd plan to stop at a supercharger for 30 minutes or so each way to fast charge.
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
11/27/2019 5:28pm
I disagree. 250 miles range with performance better than a lot of the gasoline trucks out there for 39K with easily 3x less operating cost after...
I disagree. 250 miles range with performance better than a lot of the gasoline trucks out there for 39K with easily 3x less operating cost after you purchase it. How is that not competitive? Want better performance and range? 49K is still a bargain for AWD, 300+ mile range, and 0-60 in less than 4.5 seconds. IN A TRUCK! And you can tow over 10,000 lbs!

For comparison, the Ford Raptor does 0-60 in 5.7 seconds, has a tow rating of only 6000lbs, and STARTS at 52K, but is easily a 70-80K truck with the options you'd want.

The numbers don't lie. The CyberTruck outperforms the coveted Ford F150 Raptor while also towing like a F350 Turbo Diesel, and doing so at the cost less than America's best selling vehicle, the Ford F150.

Maybe my situation here in southern California is different than yours. We have multiple tracks within 50 miles, and my job (if go into the office) is 50 miles away. So doing over 100 miles of driving in 1 day is pretty rare. If i'm doing longer trips than that, i'll likely want to stop and take a 30 minute break anyway. So i'd plan to stop at a supercharger for 30 minutes or so each way to fast charge.
That's some weird cherry picking. Comparing the 0-60 and towing to the offroad truck? The tesla ain't no raptor. No fucking way.
Compare the 0-60 and towing to a basic XLT 4x4 with the 3.5 TT V6. Bet the F150 stays close running to 60, and can tow more. With a 36 gallon tank itll go further with a trailer too.
The F350 can tow well over 30,000lbs. 3x what the Tesla can. The tesla dont tow like a F350. Hell can you even put a gooseneck in the Tesla with it's silly ass tall bedsides and unibody construction? Can the rear suspension handle the 20% tongue weight?
The base F150 sells for $19,000 around here. 30k gets you a decent looking and performing truck. Idk how you can say the Tesla is cheaper.
Yzf916
11/27/2019 5:31pm
Not doubting the performance numbers. BUT The average person can not afford a $50,000 vehicle. Or have 30 plus minutes for a quick charge. I believe we are YEARS off before the masses are on board. E’s have been around for years now. I work at a plant of 600 employees. There is ONE electric vehicle. I ride at 6 different tracks within a 200mi radius. The Alta(cool bike) has been available since 2015(?) I’ve seen ONE. COOL and FEELS GOOD do not sustain a market. I stand by my statement. Until COST is down. RANGE is up. And CHARGE TIMES are down. They will only remain a novelty for the affluent. Not poo pooing the idea OR progress. They’re just not remotely close yet.
Zacka 161
Fantasy
1856th
11/27/2019 7:22pm
Yzf916 wrote:
Not doubting the performance numbers. BUT The average person can not afford a $50,000 vehicle. Or have 30 plus minutes for a quick charge. I believe...
Not doubting the performance numbers. BUT The average person can not afford a $50,000 vehicle. Or have 30 plus minutes for a quick charge. I believe we are YEARS off before the masses are on board. E’s have been around for years now. I work at a plant of 600 employees. There is ONE electric vehicle. I ride at 6 different tracks within a 200mi radius. The Alta(cool bike) has been available since 2015(?) I’ve seen ONE. COOL and FEELS GOOD do not sustain a market. I stand by my statement. Until COST is down. RANGE is up. And CHARGE TIMES are down. They will only remain a novelty for the affluent. Not poo pooing the idea OR progress. They’re just not remotely close yet.
6 different tracks within 200 miles. Its seems like a Tesla with a range of 500 Miles would be perfect for you.

Tesla price is on par with BMW, Mercedes and other European cars and somehow believe it or not those european car companies remain in business.... They don't sell as many as the the crappy Chevy and Chrysler small SUVs but they are viable car companies, just like Tesla is. And their sales numbers over the last 12 months worldwide are about on par with US BMW sales....

Do you know what the average daily driving usage is for an american? Hint it's just slightly less than the 250 Mile range of the bottom of the range Tesla believe it or not. So yeah they are no longer a novelty, Heres a graph showing the number of sales each quarter from 2015. Its crazy I know but sales seem to be going UP.... I guess the novelty hasnt worn off yet, and maybe the ability to charge at home overnight without having to stop in a gas station to fill up is more convenient... and the time and money saving of this is not outweighed by the very rare time you drive continuously more than 300 Miles and have to stop for an hour.

Apologies in advance for bringing number to a discussion about your feelings

Zacka 161
Fantasy
1856th
11/27/2019 7:32pm
I disagree. 250 miles range with performance better than a lot of the gasoline trucks out there for 39K with easily 3x less operating cost after...

colintrax wrote:
That's some weird cherry picking. Comparing the 0-60 and towing to the offroad truck? The tesla ain't no raptor. No fucking way. Compare the 0-60 and...
That's some weird cherry picking. Comparing the 0-60 and towing to the offroad truck? The tesla ain't no raptor. No fucking way.
Compare the 0-60 and towing to a basic XLT 4x4 with the 3.5 TT V6. Bet the F150 stays close running to 60, and can tow more. With a 36 gallon tank itll go further with a trailer too.
The F350 can tow well over 30,000lbs. 3x what the Tesla can. The tesla dont tow like a F350. Hell can you even put a gooseneck in the Tesla with it's silly ass tall bedsides and unibody construction? Can the rear suspension handle the 20% tongue weight?
The base F150 sells for $19,000 around here. 30k gets you a decent looking and performing truck. Idk how you can say the Tesla is cheaper.
Its funny because you just cherry picked the opposing stats to serve your objective.

The base F150 is completely outclassed by the cybertruck so why even go there... because it serves your narrative.

The cost is on par with a raptor so it should be compared to the Raptor rather than switching around models. And it beats it in every metric when travelling less than 500 Miles a day. Which the OP says the tracks are within 50 miles so yeah, it makes sense. Yes a Raptor can fill up quicker so would likely be better for daily interstate driving but forcing people to stop for an hour to recharge after 500 MILES OF DRIVING is pretty bloody wise if you ask me.

He said 'tows like a F350' - Its much closer to the towing weight of an F350 than a 150 so its good to use as a comparison that people understand, from a towing POV it is a beast. Sure it cant gooseneck and if you need to gooseneck then the trucks not for you. But sheer towing weight capacity it absolutely destroys the Raptor.

Is it perfect for everyone, no definitely not, but if you look at the Raptor and who it sells to I would hazard a guess that this would be perfect for the majority of Raptor buyers and their daily use requirements... Maybe not yours and thats fine.

BW908
11/27/2019 7:41pm
Fuck no
BW908
11/27/2019 7:42pm
F@ck no!!
Yzf916
11/27/2019 8:12pm
The market will decide. I MIGHT see ONE a month. If they were that comparable, they’d be all over the place. I bet in two years we’ll be still having this same conversation.
Yzf916
11/27/2019 8:15pm
Just bought a new GMC for right under $30,000. You won’t find an E for close to that.
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
11/27/2019 8:16pm

colintrax wrote:
That's some weird cherry picking. Comparing the 0-60 and towing to the offroad truck? The tesla ain't no raptor. No fucking way. Compare the 0-60 and...
Zacka 161 wrote:
Its funny because you just cherry picked the opposing stats to serve your objective. The base F150 is completely outclassed by the cybertruck so why even...
Its funny because you just cherry picked the opposing stats to serve your objective.

The base F150 is completely outclassed by the cybertruck so why even go there... because it serves your narrative.

The cost is on par with a raptor so it should be compared to the Raptor rather than switching around models. And it beats it in every metric when travelling less than 500 Miles a day. Which the OP says the tracks are within 50 miles so yeah, it makes sense. Yes a Raptor can fill up quicker so would likely be better for daily interstate driving but forcing people to stop for an hour to recharge after 500 MILES OF DRIVING is pretty bloody wise if you ask me.

He said 'tows like a F350' - Its much closer to the towing weight of an F350 than a 150 so its good to use as a comparison that people understand, from a towing POV it is a beast. Sure it cant gooseneck and if you need to gooseneck then the trucks not for you. But sheer towing weight capacity it absolutely destroys the Raptor.

Is it perfect for everyone, no definitely not, but if you look at the Raptor and who it sells to I would hazard a guess that this would be perfect for the majority of Raptor buyers and their daily use requirements... Maybe not yours and thats fine.

I feel like you missed my points.
I don't have an anti Tesla narrative, I'm disappointed Tesla missed the mark so badly on a truck that could've been good. Fact is, the Tesla sucks as a truck.
I only mentioned the base F150 because it's cheaper than any combination of the Tesla truck. Unlike the Tesla, you can buy a F150 in an endless aray of configurations. They can be bought new for stupid cheap. Sure it's a baby V6 but it'll tow an enclosed trailer and get you to work. Oh and outclassed in what way? A base F150 can be had with an 8' bed, Tesla isn't offering that. It can be had in a short wheelbase, making it easier to park downtown. Tesla is only a 4 door 6' bed.
Comparing to a raptor is fucking stupid and you know it. The raptor is an offroad truck with soft suspension and big tires. The Tesla won't compete with it offroad. The Raptor won't compete with any other truck in it's price range when it comes to towing. It wasn't meant for towing big trailers. Dollar for dollar, compare to a XLT 4x4 with the 3.5 V6 like I said. That'll be the most apple to apple comparison you'll find. I think Tesla is saying the trimotor will tow 14K or 15K? Lets see when they finish SAE testing on that.We all know the F150 will happily pull it's 13K rating. Oh and Ford even offers tow mirrors on the F150.
Tow vehicle weight means next to nothing, good towing performance is wheelbase, suspension, brakes. The tesla isn't going to compare to the F350. Tesla marketing isn't even going that far. The cybertruck is a half ton.

Most raptor owners only need a civic. That applies to most truck owners. But the Tesla is targeted as a half ton family hauler. It should be compared to those. And consider all the other options available.
An electric truck with 500 mile range would fit my needs... If the rest of it didn't suck so bad.

Post a reply to: Would you buy a cybertruck to haul your ride?

The Latest