Would you buy a cybertruck to haul your ride?

12/2/2019 3:41pm
You don't need to. They'll sell you storage as well
Tesla battery? So you have to spend another 8 grand for a trickle charge. Yeah ok
Power wall is faster charging than supercharger. At any rate, your point was freedom from politicians, not price. I was just stating that this is possibly...
Power wall is faster charging than supercharger. At any rate, your point was freedom from politicians, not price.

I was just stating that this is possibly an even more politician-free option than oil. All from the same vendor as the truck.
According to tesla the Max output of a tesla wall battery is 32 Amps with a shutoff at 30 Amps. Quick charge requires 48 amps
12/2/2019 4:38pm Edited Date/Time 12/2/2019 4:42pm
Tesla battery? So you have to spend another 8 grand for a trickle charge. Yeah ok
Power wall is faster charging than supercharger. At any rate, your point was freedom from politicians, not price. I was just stating that this is possibly...
Power wall is faster charging than supercharger. At any rate, your point was freedom from politicians, not price.

I was just stating that this is possibly an even more politician-free option than oil. All from the same vendor as the truck.
According to tesla the Max output of a tesla wall battery is 32 Amps with a shutoff at 30 Amps. Quick charge requires 48 amps
Oh yeah, one certainly wouldn't be up to the job (they don't hold that much, either). To get away from the politicians, I'd go minimum four with at least a 10kw array. No price too high!
12/2/2019 4:57pm

Oh yeah, one certainly wouldn't be up to the job (they don't hold that much, either). To get away from the politicians, I'd go minimum four...
Oh yeah, one certainly wouldn't be up to the job (they don't hold that much, either). To get away from the politicians, I'd go minimum four with at least a 10kw array. No price too high!
We are talking about one car. Most families have three. Let's just say 2 leave out one. Most likely you would have to be connected to the grid.
12/2/2019 5:00pm Edited Date/Time 12/2/2019 5:12pm
Oh yeah, one certainly wouldn't be up to the job (they don't hold that much, either). To get away from the politicians, I'd go minimum four...
We are talking about one car. Most families have three. Let's just say 2 leave out one. Most likely you would have to be connected to...
We are talking about one car. Most families have three. Let's just say 2 leave out one. Most likely you would have to be connected to the grid.
Here this silly-looking truck has options to get away from the politicians that are all up in your current oil production, and you don't want it. Just admit that you LOOOVE the politicians.

The Shop

12/2/2019 5:12pm
We are talking about one car. Most families have three. Let's just say 2 leave out one. Most likely you would have to be connected to...
Here this silly-looking truck has options to get away from the politicians that are all up in your current oil production, and you don't want it...
Here this silly-looking truck has options to get away from the politicians that are all up in your current oil production, and you don't want it. Just admit that you LOOOVE the politicians.
Honestly I would love to own a tesla. My neighbor has one a model 3. I got to drive it. Fn fast for a 50 grand car. Literally sucks you into the seat when you step on the pedal.
However here in ca, our electric rates top out at .45 a kw.
Zacka 161
Fantasy
1856th
12/2/2019 5:43pm
Here is the issue with electric cars and why politicians are pushing for them. It makes you dependent on a monopolized local utility and on politicians...
Here is the issue with electric cars and why politicians are pushing for them. It makes you dependent on a monopolized local utility and on politicians who controls them.
Politicians elected by the people for the people are bought by fossil fuels to undermine their ability to work for the people... Choosing to ignore science and halt progress is not for the people its for the big oil companies that donate to their campaigns.

Big oil are unelected multinationals that take your money and store it in tax havens to avoid paying tax. 10% of the worlds GDP is stored in Tax havens by the richest people in the world. Most of these have wealth from oil at least in part... Also look at the Koch influence in American Politics, its staggering.

The right does their best to undercut electric cars because their donors are afraid that their monopoly on influence and global power might be diminished. They fear electric cars which is why you feel like somehow moving from a dependence on fossil fuel multinationals to locally produced electrical grids is scary.

It's also the reason why America has THE WORST public transport in the western world, Big Oil influences the government to prevent them operating in the interests of the people. The Koch brothers in particular make money off many car parts as well as the fuel that runs them that if a city installed an effective public transport system they would potentially lose money and political influence. Electric cars are a small step to returning a government elected by the people for the people.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1084th
12/2/2019 9:13pm
Here this silly-looking truck has options to get away from the politicians that are all up in your current oil production, and you don't want it...
Honestly I would love to own a tesla. My neighbor has one a model 3. I got to drive it. Fn fast for a 50 grand...
Honestly I would love to own a tesla. My neighbor has one a model 3. I got to drive it. Fn fast for a 50 grand car. Literally sucks you into the seat when you step on the pedal.
Nope, in some cases with pricing being dictated by both time of use and total volume, I've seen .55 a kWh in residential with some low-usage wells being much higher than that. On the other hand, properly done solar and an electric car can result in charges that equate to less than .05 a mile.

Source: I've been in the solar business for 6+ years, with 4 of those at Solar City then Tesla.
12/3/2019 7:42am
Honestly I would love to own a tesla. My neighbor has one a model 3. I got to drive it. Fn fast for a 50 grand...
Nope, in some cases with pricing being dictated by both time of use and total volume, I've seen .55 a kWh in residential with some low-usage...
Nope, in some cases with pricing being dictated by both time of use and total volume, I've seen .55 a kWh in residential with some low-usage wells being much higher than that. On the other hand, properly done solar and an electric car can result in charges that equate to less than .05 a mile.

Source: I've been in the solar business for 6+ years, with 4 of those at Solar City then Tesla.
I assume any solar panel setup could support 2 electric cars. However the cost of panels and limitations from regulations prevents this. New ca regulation does not allow a solar setup behind the typical kw use. Are you factoring in the cost of the panels and tesla wall storage in the .05 kw cost? And the extra cost of the electric car over the same size ice car
keinz
12/3/2019 9:15am

Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1084th
12/4/2019 1:59pm
Nope, in some cases with pricing being dictated by both time of use and total volume, I've seen .55 a kWh in residential with some low-usage...

I assume any solar panel setup could support 2 electric cars. However the cost of panels and limitations from regulations prevents this. New ca regulation does...
I assume any solar panel setup could support 2 electric cars. However the cost of panels and limitations from regulations prevents this. New ca regulation does not allow a solar setup behind the typical kw use. Are you factoring in the cost of the panels and tesla wall storage in the .05 kw cost? And the extra cost of the electric car over the same size ice car
The number of miles driven dictates the size of the solar system needed (in addition to what the home normally uses). Yes, it's very possible to run into size limitations, though it would normally be limited by the available mounting space or the home's main panel capacity. I have yet to run into regulations that stop someone from being able to install a big enough residential system based on their real world needs.

The cost of a customer owned system and the power it produces over time dictate the overall cost per kWh (leased systems are a little different). Batteries, while they have their advantages, do not produce power and as such they only make a cost per kWh calculation worse. Eventually batteries will be a huge deal in CA as they are rapidly becoming in Hawaii, but for now they are convenience, not a money saver.

Waaaay too many variables to consider in the cost of ICE vs DC powered cars. That doesn't even remotely figure into my .05 claim. That cost per mile is based purely on the cost of electricity and the number of miles that can be driven on said electricity. Consumables, depreciation, ancillary costs (registration, tickets, etc) don't factor in either.
Alex.434
12/4/2019 3:36pm Edited Date/Time 12/4/2019 3:43pm

Hey Matt Fisher,

I'm looking to add solar + battery to my home in the next 12 months. I live in a rural part of CA with plenty of land, so not looking to do roof mounted, put instead ground mounted. I'm also leaning towards buying outright over leasing.

Any tips, resources, suggestions, etc. you'd recommend to help my research? Is the Telsa Powerwall the best system for storage? Panels? etc. As you are in the business, appreciate your insight.

FWIW this is my power usage / bill over the past 20 months (SDG&E). I'd like to have a system that is larger than my current average use, so I can charge a Cybertruck, run my hot tub heater without stress, install an electric hot water heater, etc.

Thanks.

Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1084th
12/6/2019 2:43pm

Alex.434 wrote:
Hey Matt Fisher, I'm looking to add solar + battery to my home in the next 12 months. I live in a rural part of CA...
Hey Matt Fisher,

I'm looking to add solar + battery to my home in the next 12 months. I live in a rural part of CA with plenty of land, so not looking to do roof mounted, put instead ground mounted. I'm also leaning towards buying outright over leasing.

Any tips, resources, suggestions, etc. you'd recommend to help my research? Is the Telsa Powerwall the best system for storage? Panels? etc. As you are in the business, appreciate your insight.

FWIW this is my power usage / bill over the past 20 months (SDG&E). I'd like to have a system that is larger than my current average use, so I can charge a Cybertruck, run my hot tub heater without stress, install an electric hot water heater, etc.

Thanks.

I'm happy to help you, but trying to go over all the nuances and things to look for online would take way too long given my typing speed (not to mention continuing being way off topic). Shoot me a PM with your number and I can spend an hour going over most everything you'll need to make a good decision.

Post a reply to: Would you buy a cybertruck to haul your ride?

The Latest