Would you trade 03 RM250 for 07 RMZ450

Ok guys im quite torn up here. I bought a 2003 rm 250 and went through the bike in great detail. bought it for 1500cad and put probobly close to 1000 into it. It has some upgrades like procicuit pipe and silencer i did all new linkage and swingarm bearing, chain rollers, suspension tune up, rebuilt carb etc. Still no matter what i do the bike seems to be a bit stuttering in the low end despite hours of jetting trials. I have read literally every jetting thread on the net and tried all different combinations. im about done with it im so frustrated.

I was approcached by a local guy here in Ontario to trade for a 07 RMZ 450. bike has been rebuilt, clutch, etc. and is having a tune up and valve shim and check done atm.

Would you guys trade staight up. where im at in ontario both bikes are going for around 3k. Im a 30yr old rider who rides every weekend sometimes on mx tracks and some trails (nothing crazy) would i be dumb to trade this guy.

Both bikes in good condtion. Im torn. opinions. I love the 2 strokes but fuck there a pain sometimes and never seem to be 110% and reliable. I need reliable as i have a wife and daughter who demand a lot of my time so id rather be riding then wrenching.
|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
7/31/2018 3:33pm
Lectron carb. Problem solved.

It's a matter of preference in my opinion. If that '07 blows up you'll be on the sidelines for a while and that's no fun. Personally I would keep the 2 stroke. Especially since you're not racing competitively.
plowboy
7/31/2018 3:51pm
I gotta agree with Mav. When you get the RM sorted out...it will be much cheaper/easier to live with. If you were racing it would be a different story...maybeBlink . You know what you have...the RMZ may be somewhat fresh but you might have to spend some to get it to where you want it. Money can fix anything but I'm guessing that's as rare as spare time in your situation.
7/31/2018 3:58pm
plowboy wrote:
I gotta agree with Mav. When you get the RM sorted out...it will be much cheaper/easier to live with. If you were racing it would be...
I gotta agree with Mav. When you get the RM sorted out...it will be much cheaper/easier to live with. If you were racing it would be a different story...maybeBlink . You know what you have...the RMZ may be somewhat fresh but you might have to spend some to get it to where you want it. Money can fix anything but I'm guessing that's as rare as spare time in your situation.
LMAO as rare as spare time is correct. have the funds but slipping it by the misses while we buy a new home and save for a wedding is the difficult part Smile family first as always but you have to have your hobbies and you know what ive been thinking the same thing. If this thing blows and i need a grand to fix it ill be out of commision for good. the rm well fuck she is just frustrating me to high heaven.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
7/31/2018 4:22pm
Did you try the jetting specs from Pro Circuit?

Main: 165 (Stock is 175)
Pilot: 45 (Stock is 48)
Needle: N8RH (Stock is the same)
Position: 2nd (Stock is 3rd)
Screw: 1.5 (Stock is the same)
Power: 48 (Stock is 50)
Slide: 7.0 (Stock is 6.5)

Try the stock settings and see if it helps any. After that try what Pro Circuit recommends. If none of those work properly the Lectron might just be the way to go. They're not necessarily cheap but if you plan to keep the bike for a long time I don't think you'll regret spending the money. From what I've read once it's set up properly you just forget about jetting, pour gas in the bike and enjoy the ride.

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
7/31/2018 4:52pm
Personally I'd never sell a 2-stroke for a thumper, but that's just me.

Is your "stuttering" problem jetting, or is the bike simply not on the pipe? You know a 250 2-stroke will have quite a bit less bottom end power than a 450F, right? If you are attuned to the 4-stroke way of life and just try to roll on the power, any 2-stroke might seem like it is stuttering and stalling....because it is. You need to rev it up to get it to work. Sorry to be so pedantic if you know this already.
Dtat720
7/31/2018 4:58pm
My 03 was the same. Crank seals, reed valve gasket, CLEAN THE POWER VALVE COMPLETELY. And she will run like champ
7/31/2018 5:03pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Did you try the jetting specs from Pro Circuit? Main: 165 (Stock is 175) Pilot: 45 (Stock is 48) Needle: N8RH (Stock is the same) Position...
Did you try the jetting specs from Pro Circuit?

Main: 165 (Stock is 175)
Pilot: 45 (Stock is 48)
Needle: N8RH (Stock is the same)
Position: 2nd (Stock is 3rd)
Screw: 1.5 (Stock is the same)
Power: 48 (Stock is 50)
Slide: 7.0 (Stock is 6.5)

Try the stock settings and see if it helps any. After that try what Pro Circuit recommends. If none of those work properly the Lectron might just be the way to go. They're not necessarily cheap but if you plan to keep the bike for a long time I don't think you'll regret spending the money. From what I've read once it's set up properly you just forget about jetting, pour gas in the bike and enjoy the ride.
yes these were the settings ive tried so far as well as stock its getting better. but people are saying its likely the crank seals. Im not to sure about that as it is not burning tranny oil or smoking excessively. Does show a lot of spooge out the pipe powervalve area and out the pipe. (silencer is repacked) on the track on saturday i ran it at 1.5 air screw and it was rough. then i went to 2 turns out (leaner) and it cleaned it up a bit. Makes track riding difficult with a low end stutter out of the corners and just overall no the best performance. Im not fouling plugs at all. the carb and all the jets and orfices have been cleaned multiple times. As stupid as it sounds i may dick with the air screw a bit more and see it that changes it if not bigger pilot jet but my dealer in windsor takes a week to get jets in and its like fuck im losing major riding time this summer and everytime i change jets i have to remove the carb. i havent even really expierenced the bike to 80% of its potential yet. my 89 cr125 pulled way harder. Its sad.

I just gotta keep grinding with it and get it right just a constant pain.

my next thing is check the PV but on the RM 250 the motor has to be completely pulled to access the cover and really not confident taking it apart as ive never done it. may have to suck it up and bring it in!
7/31/2018 5:05pm
Dtat720 wrote:
My 03 was the same. Crank seals, reed valve gasket, CLEAN THE POWER VALVE COMPLETELY. And she will run like champ
this is my next thing im gonna have to try i just typed that. good point. the bike is fucking mint besides the stutter id hate to give up on it over someting cheap just time consuming.
BroFoSho
7/31/2018 5:05pm
I'd do the trade if the bike has been well taken care of. It's newer, faster, and more reliable than you're current bike.

People on here are saying "If it blows up it'll cost you..." . That's IF it blows up. As long as you stay on top of maintenance they are light years more reliable than a two stroke. People who blow up four-strokes either ride the thing like Justin Barica or never do basic maintenance items like oil changes and air filter cleanings. I've never gernaded a 250f or a 450.

When I had a 125, I was doing rings every 10 hours and pistons every 20. I've got 94 hours on my 450, and have never opened up the motor and still on the stock clutch. I'm replacing tires more often but working on it in the garage wayyyy less.
ledger
7/31/2018 5:06pm
I would personally hold on to the smoker, you can sell the bike at any time if $$ get's tight, an eleven y/o four stroke...not so much.
jeffro503
7/31/2018 5:07pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2018 5:07pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Lectron carb. Problem solved. It's a matter of preference in my opinion. If that '07 blows up you'll be on the sidelines for a while and...

It's a matter of preference in my opinion. If that '07 blows up you'll be on the sidelines for a while and that's no fun. Personally I would keep the 2 stroke. Especially since you're not racing competitively.
If this RM is for Moto , I wouldn't go with a Lectron. I'd stick with the PWK 38 , get a Derek Harris STIC metering block , JD jetting kit and it will blow the doors off a Lectron. More power out put on the PWK and very , very easy to tune.

Now if it's for off-road , up and down in elevation by quite a bit.....then I would do a Lectron , for ease of tune.

And no way would I trade that RM for an 07' RMZ 450! Not even for two!
7/31/2018 5:17pm
Sounds like fuel level is high in the bowl. Replace your float valve n adjust the level. Likely still pulling on pilot jet when should be on main jet. Jmo
7/31/2018 5:24pm
ledger wrote:
I would personally hold on to the smoker, you can sell the bike at any time if $$ get's tight, an eleven y/o four stroke...not so...
I would personally hold on to the smoker, you can sell the bike at any time if $$ get's tight, an eleven y/o four stroke...not so much.
never thought of that. Ya 2 strokes kinda do hold there value more as they are almost obsolete. I did ride CRF450 a while back and although im a 2 stroke lover i have to say the bike was superior really. Stupid power. from the crack of the throttle to the overrev it like a constant two stroke powerband. I was a big time hater until i rode that bike. I was very very surprised.
Dtat720
7/31/2018 5:25pm
Dtat720 wrote:
this is my next thing im gonna have to try i just typed that. good point. the bike is fucking mint besides the stutter id hate...
this is my next thing im gonna have to try i just typed that. good point. the bike is fucking mint besides the stutter id hate to give up on it over someting cheap just time consuming.
Oil only pulls if the clutch side seal is out. If its the stator side it only pulls air. Mine was the stator side but i replaced both along with main bearings for safe measure. I did have float issues after getting everything else done. Once it was set, the bike ripped and i was glad i didnt give up on it. heck of a bike, and the forks, rece tech springs, bushings, and good oil, they work great
plowboy
7/31/2018 5:30pm
ledger wrote:
I would personally hold on to the smoker, you can sell the bike at any time if $$ get's tight, an eleven y/o four stroke...not so...
never thought of that. Ya 2 strokes kinda do hold there value more as they are almost obsolete. I did ride CRF450 a while back and...
never thought of that. Ya 2 strokes kinda do hold there value more as they are almost obsolete. I did ride CRF450 a while back and although im a 2 stroke lover i have to say the bike was superior really. Stupid power. from the crack of the throttle to the overrev it like a constant two stroke powerband. I was a big time hater until i rode that bike. I was very very surprised.
Lol, sounds like you want the 4 banger. Nothing wrong with that buddy. Just don't look back...just do it.
dh893
7/31/2018 5:47pm
That chassis RMZ is extremely ridged and uncomfortable from what I recall from those years. Reliability was also not stellar. No way I would trade my RM for that.
7/31/2018 6:05pm
dh893 wrote:
That chassis RMZ is extremely ridged and uncomfortable from what I recall from those years. Reliability was also not stellar. No way I would trade my...
That chassis RMZ is extremely ridged and uncomfortable from what I recall from those years. Reliability was also not stellar. No way I would trade my RM for that.
Reliability on 2006-07 are some of the most reliable bikes out there. We had an old vet guy into Yoshimura back in 2009 that had bought a bike brand new in 05 which was a 2006 model and said he had put on something like 2 straight years of riding 3-4 days a week for the mentioned time, without anything outside of oil and filter changes. Not even a basic valve adjustment was done, and the boys and I at the shop were just blown away. As he was one of our old vet riders who could seriously lay down some fast laps. If that is not a sign of serioulsy good equipment than I dont know what is.
yz133rider
7/31/2018 6:12pm
Id sell the rm and buy something clean and solid a 07 rmz thats been rebuilt is not my idea of clean and solid.
Juss72
7/31/2018 6:35pm
What kind of 2 stroke oil are you running? I use to run that 927 and my 05 YZ250 would do the same. You can build your own leak down tester from parts from Home Depot, if you want to text your crank seals.
ledger
7/31/2018 6:43pm
Tell the wife your love will reach new heights, if she'll give you the Nod to bring home the 2019 Factory Edition CRF450. or a leftover 18 model Wink I'm with you on the four strokes, they're the Cadillac of MX.
7/31/2018 6:46pm
ledger wrote:
Tell the wife your love will reach new heights, if she'll give you the Nod to bring home the 2019 Factory Edition CRF450. or a leftover...
Tell the wife your love will reach new heights, if she'll give you the Nod to bring home the 2019 Factory Edition CRF450. or a leftover 18 model Wink I'm with you on the four strokes, they're the Cadillac of MX.
god dam dont even start that bike is something out of heaven. jsut ridiculously awesome. anyone who gets there hands on one would be so lucky. but in all honesty i just wouldnt want the price tag. if i raced at a very high level and it was my only hobby ya that would be it!
7/31/2018 6:49pm
Juss72 wrote:
What kind of 2 stroke oil are you running? I use to run that 927 and my 05 YZ250 would do the same. You can build...
What kind of 2 stroke oil are you running? I use to run that 927 and my 05 YZ250 would do the same. You can build your own leak down tester from parts from Home Depot, if you want to text your crank seals.
AMSOIL dominator. the guys that ride around me swear by it not exactly cheap or expensive but all my 2 stroke racing buddies are all about it. I hadnt been in the game for a while so i tried it. Im using that and 94 octane fuel (best we can get at the pump in my area-Petro Canada) and 32:1 MIX and im meticulous about the blend being exact.
7/31/2018 6:51pm
Juss72 wrote:
What kind of 2 stroke oil are you running? I use to run that 927 and my 05 YZ250 would do the same. You can build...
AMSOIL dominator. the guys that ride around me swear by it not exactly cheap or expensive but all my 2 stroke racing buddies are all about...
AMSOIL dominator. the guys that ride around me swear by it not exactly cheap or expensive but all my 2 stroke racing buddies are all about it. I hadnt been in the game for a while so i tried it. Im using that and 94 octane fuel (best we can get at the pump in my area-Petro Canada) and 32:1 MIX and im meticulous about the blend being exact.
do you think that if i ran 94 octane instead of the 87 the previous owner was running it could be causing this disator. never heard better fuel making a problem worse but its one of the only things i havent tried.
mikec265
7/31/2018 6:56pm
Please drain all of the 87 out of that poor bike asap.
It will blow up on that crap gas. Seriously
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
7/31/2018 7:02pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2018 7:04pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Lectron carb. Problem solved. It's a matter of preference in my opinion. If that '07 blows up you'll be on the sidelines for a while and...

jeffro503 wrote:
If this RM is for Moto , I wouldn't go with a Lectron. I'd stick with the PWK 38 , get a Derek Harris STIC metering...
If this RM is for Moto , I wouldn't go with a Lectron. I'd stick with the PWK 38 , get a Derek Harris STIC metering block , JD jetting kit and it will blow the doors off a Lectron. More power out put on the PWK and very , very easy to tune.

Now if it's for off-road , up and down in elevation by quite a bit.....then I would do a Lectron , for ease of tune.

And no way would I trade that RM for an 07' RMZ 450! Not even for two!
While I'll say that the Keihin carb can be tuned and a Levtron isn't the fix to his problem. I can also say that I will disagree with your opinion on the LECTRON carb. Until you've ridden a properly tuned LECTRON on an RM 250, you just won't know... Lol
My bike rips and I know that it wasn't necassary, nor did I have an issue with the stock carb. But it changed the power delivery in a way that appeals to me at least. I love mine and haven't touched it, since I installed it. Crisp and throaty.

IMO, the OP's problem sounds like a left side crank seal, causing a lean condition, or cracked/Frayed Reed's that aren't sealing. But what do I know.... Haha
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
7/31/2018 7:05pm
mikec265 wrote:
Please drain all of the 87 out of that poor bike asap.
It will blow up on that crap gas. Seriously
^^ THIS ^^
Run 91 pump in the bike.
NorCal 50+
7/31/2018 7:07pm
Juss72 wrote:
AMSOIL dominator. the guys that ride around me swear by it not exactly cheap or expensive but all my 2 stroke racing buddies are all about...
do you think that if i ran 94 octane instead of the 87 the previous owner was running it could be causing this disator. never heard...
do you think that if i ran 94 octane instead of the 87 the previous owner was running it could be causing this disator. never heard better fuel making a problem worse but its one of the only things i havent tried.
It could be the gas. My 2004 RM runs terribly on pump gas.It's a characteristic of RMs I was told, and you need 50/50 race gas. I run C12 (ungodly expensive) with high-octane pump gas 50:50. If I run on pump gas my bike would surge at low RPM.

Post a reply to: Would you trade 03 RM250 for 07 RMZ450

The Latest