Would your local dealer do this?

Edited Date/Time 9/22/2018 11:15pm
I’ll start with this is not my bike, it belongs to a good friend of mine.

He went and picked up a new 2018 Honda CRF250 this week. As another buddy was putting in the brand new Rekluse Radius CX he noticed this! He only took the cover off and could tell it obviously not right.

The bolt and the clutch spring were not present and the part of the boss hub was snapped off.

My theory of why happened was the mechanic was doing the clutch basket recall since it had to be done before it could be sold and while putting it back together they broke the area where the spring and bolt attach to the boss and took the broken parts out and proceeded to put it back together.

We will see what the dealer does tomorrow, they will most likely make it right but that is besides the point.

The thought that a certified “mechanic” would put a bike back together after breaking part off the boss hub off scares shit out of me. What if it would have been ridden and mechanical failure ensued on the face of the jump?

This made me glad I no longer purchase bikes from this dealer due to the way they conduct sales.
|
9/21/2018 7:26pm
oh damn. good thing you caught that. my guess is that it happened by the mechanic and nothing was said to service management to fix it from fear of a verbal lashing. hopefully they stand by it. good luck.
mikec265
9/21/2018 7:28pm
I kid I went to high school with went to the motorcycle mechanics institute. He wound up asking me how to do a lot of stuff.
My point is a lot of times these "mechanics" are jokes. It's the same way with most "professionals" in other industries.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
9/21/2018 7:43pm
Using an impact gun? Idk how youd snap that.
Tryhard
9/21/2018 7:49pm
colintrax wrote:
Using an impact gun? Idk how youd snap that.
Probably exactly how it got snapped , I have the same bike . I purchased it before the recall. I called the dealer to see if they would just give me the part. Naw , they want me to bring it in and let a tech do it . No thanks , I'm good on that . I'd rather buy it myself before I let some of those guys work on my stuff .

The Shop

kb228
9/22/2018 1:48am
Just because its a “dealership” mechanic doesnt mean theyll do it right.

Id fully expect them to repair it. At the same time how do you break that and not notice when youre assembling?
Mucktub
9/22/2018 3:17am
They did know they'd done it. But let's face it how many of us start putting new clutches in as a first job. They were hoping it would go unoticed for a long enough period that it wouldn't come back to bite them. Someone fucked up and decided to keep quiet.
10000hrs
9/22/2018 4:11am
Dealer will claim it was right when it went out their door.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
9/22/2018 5:07am
kb228 wrote:
Just because its a “dealership” mechanic doesnt mean theyll do it right. Id fully expect them to repair it. At the same time how do you...
Just because its a “dealership” mechanic doesnt mean theyll do it right.

Id fully expect them to repair it. At the same time how do you break that and not notice when youre assembling?
He clearly noticed he broke it.
dirtmike86
9/22/2018 5:24am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2018 6:28am
I'd be rasing hell seeing as that fuck up could cause an injury. I ran a snap on route years ago and one of my accounts was a large motorcycle shop. Some of the mechanics i wouldn't even let put air in my tires, but some guys were cool and knew their stuff. Just sucks, you never know who's working on your stuff.
BR8ES
9/22/2018 5:59am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2018 5:59am
Hope the "mecchanic" is back to flipping burgers now.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1417th
9/22/2018 6:04am
dirtmike86 wrote:
I'd be rasing hell seeing as that fuck up could cause an injury. I ran a snap on route years ago and one of my accounts...
I'd be rasing hell seeing as that fuck up could cause an injury. I ran a snap on route years ago and one of my accounts was a large motorcycle shop. Some of the mechanics i wouldn't even let put air in my tires, but some guys were cool and knew their stuff. Just sucks, you never know who's working on your stuff.
My head hurts after reading your post
9/22/2018 6:14am
dirtmike86 wrote:
I'd be rasing hell seeing as that fuck up could cause an injury. I ran a snap on route years ago and one of my accounts...
tcannon521 wrote:
If someone misspelling a word and leaving out some hyphens/apostrophes gives you a headache, I’d recommend avoiding internet forums altogether
dirtmike86
9/22/2018 6:24am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2018 6:25am
dirtmike86 wrote:
tcannon521 wrote:
Sorry. My 2 year old is sick. Ive been up all night.
Barrett57
9/22/2018 6:42am
Yes, my dealer would do that. Hence why I would rather burn my money than buy anything else from those see you next tuesdays.
lumpy790
9/22/2018 6:50am
Seriously .... Why are you blaming dealers?

After removing the bike from of the crate Set up puts the handlebars and the front wheel NOT the clutch basket.

This was a problem from Honda and he should immediately take it back to the dealer and do a warranty claim on it.
mx_phreek
Fantasy
230th
9/22/2018 6:57am
Damn that's messed up.Yeah I would be having words about that
dirtmike86
9/22/2018 6:58am
lumpy790 wrote:
Seriously .... Why are you blaming dealers? After removing the bike from of the crate Set up puts the handlebars and the front wheel NOT the...

After removing the bike from of the crate Set up puts the handlebars and the front wheel NOT the clutch basket.

This was a problem from Honda and he should immediately take it back to the dealer and do a warranty claim on it.
He said the dealer had to do the clutch recall before it could be sold.
Moto96
9/22/2018 7:09am
People let those chain smoking dirt heads work on their stuff? Most the service people at dealers look like toothless meth head hippies. 99% of the time you get your stuff back worse than it went in.

BR8ES
9/22/2018 7:11am
Am I only the one who thought at first this was going to be a good dealer thread with the title??
9/22/2018 7:14am
lumpy790 wrote:
Seriously .... Why are you blaming dealers? After removing the bike from of the crate Set up puts the handlebars and the front wheel NOT the...

I that would be the normal situation, but seeing as the DEALERS had to do the clutch basket recall to models on their floor they would have touched the clutch basket!
murph783
9/22/2018 7:19am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2018 7:19am
I work in a dealership and the first thing I do when I’m told another dealership has worked on it-break out the torque wrench. Just this week I had a gsxr 1000 come in with axle pinch bolts that were finger tight at best. It’s a crapshoot who works on your stuff.
Moto96
9/22/2018 7:31am
dirtmike86 wrote:
Air in tires might even be too much for some.
lumpy790
9/22/2018 7:31am
lumpy790 wrote:

dirtmike86 wrote:
Not true. I processed warrientys at a dealer and yes I did some KX’s too.
lumpy790
9/22/2018 7:35am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2018 7:36am
lumpy790 wrote:

I that would be the normal situation, but seeing as the DEALERS had to do the clutch basket recall to models on their floor they would...
I that would be the normal situation, but seeing as the DEALERS had to do the clutch basket recall to models on their floor they would have touched the clutch basket!
Did not realize there had been a recall on the 18 clutch. Either way this is 100% a warranty issue.
BobPA
9/22/2018 7:37am
lumpy790 wrote:

dirtmike86 wrote:
lumpy790 wrote:
What are you even talking about man? He said the bike was apart for warranty work on the clutch basket. You’re arguing with yourself, or are you drunk?
lumpy790
9/22/2018 7:42am
dirtmike86 wrote:
lumpy790 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
What are you even talking about man? He said the bike was apart for warranty work on the clutch basket. You’re arguing with yourself, or are...
What are you even talking about man? He said the bike was apart for warranty work on the clutch basket. You’re arguing with yourself, or are you drunk?
No sir. This is what he posted.

“As another buddy was putting in the brand new Rekluse Radius CX he noticed this! He only took the cover off and could tell it obviously not right. ”
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
9/22/2018 7:49am
lumpy790 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
What are you even talking about man? He said the bike was apart for warranty work on the clutch basket. You’re arguing with yourself, or are...
lumpy790 wrote:
No sir. This is what he posted. “As another buddy was putting in the brand new Rekluse Radius CX he noticed this! He only took the...

“As another buddy was putting in the brand new Rekluse Radius CX he noticed this! He only took the cover off and could tell it obviously not right. ”
It's always a good idea to read the entire post before commenting
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
9/22/2018 7:51am
I would be asking the dealer for a lot more than a new clutch. That is incredibly reckless and intentional.
dirtmike86
9/22/2018 8:05am
lumpy790 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
lumpy790 wrote:
No sir. This is what he posted. “As another buddy was putting in the brand new Rekluse Radius CX he noticed this! He only took the...

Also posted this

"My theory of why happened was the mechanic was doing the clutch basket recall since it had to be done before it could be sold and while putting it back together they broke the area where the spring and bolt attach to the boss and took the broken parts out and proceeded to put it back together. "

Post a reply to: Would your local dealer do this?

The Latest