Yamaha's Electric Bike

SteezGeez
Fantasy
476th
Edited Date/Time 7/8/2017 5:53pm
So I stumbled upon this article today. Seems like Yamaha is getting ready to swoop in and not let Alta take all the electric money. I know this article is just referencing that Yamaha is just getting ready to put these bikes in Japan but if production is not that far off it seems they can come in to the U.S. with these bikes rather easily.

"Apparently the company recently made arrangements with Saitama City in Japan to promote electric motorcycles and businesses around them, indicating that production is not far off. The campaign, titled the E-KIZUNA Project, will promote the electrics as practical solutions to urban issues like traffic congestion, parking, and pollution. One of the key elements in overcoming public resistance to electrics is the bikes' swappable battery packs, since the foremost concerns among potential consumers have been limited range and slow charging times."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/yamaha-apos-electric-bikes-coming-155713780…
|
Swann
7/6/2017 8:36pm Edited Date/Time 7/6/2017 8:39pm
The problem the Japanese and Euro manufacturers have with introducing an electric bike over the likes of Alta is they risk cannibalizing their traditional moto sales, at least in the US. KTM missed the boat with their E-bike. Alta has already made a bold statement and proven their technology can compete with an internally combusted engine. The others have a big hill to climb if they're to introduce something as serious and competitive as the Alta. They've set the bar.
Juice_Mann
7/6/2017 8:43pm
Swann wrote:
The problem the Japanese and Euro manufacturers have with introducing an electric bike over the likes of Alta is they risk cannibalizing their traditional moto sales...
The problem the Japanese and Euro manufacturers have with introducing an electric bike over the likes of Alta is they risk cannibalizing their traditional moto sales, at least in the US. KTM missed the boat with their E-bike. Alta has already made a bold statement and proven their technology can compete with an internally combusted engine. The others have a big hill to climb if they're to introduce something as serious and competitive as the Alta. They've set the bar.
This is a good post and I completely agree with you. However, I truly believe this is the future of the sport so the other brands have to start converting at some point or be left behind.
kakarot
7/6/2017 9:03pm
Swann wrote:
The problem the Japanese and Euro manufacturers have with introducing an electric bike over the likes of Alta is they risk cannibalizing their traditional moto sales...
Don't count KTM out yet.Alta wants to go head to head on the tracks of today,I think KTM and some others want to create something different.
Lastander
7/7/2017 3:00am
Not to be that guy... But that looks like a 90s Yamaha YZ chassis that has been shortened? Is this pic validated to be a concept from Yamaha?

The Shop

7/7/2017 3:17am
Lastander wrote:
Not to be that guy... But that looks like a 90s Yamaha YZ chassis that has been shortened? Is this pic validated to be a concept...
Not to be that guy... But that looks like a 90s Yamaha YZ chassis that has been shortened? Is this pic validated to be a concept from Yamaha?
If you ask chad late 90's to 2004 were the best chassis yamaha made.
markit
7/7/2017 3:19am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2017 3:20am
Lastander wrote:
Not to be that guy... But that looks like a 90s Yamaha YZ chassis that has been shortened? Is this pic validated to be a concept...
IMO that would be a good thing, Al frames are gay.
Lastander
7/7/2017 3:22am
Quite surprised Honda aren't making more of a push in this direction
They did come out with that E-Rex remember? Probably for the next Jurassic park movie, but the bike is still there
7/7/2017 3:28am
I've not made up my mind about it being "the future of the sport." How many of you are running out and buying electric cars? If not, why not?
mmain62
7/7/2017 4:09am
That thing is ugly, as well as the concept Honda with the dinosaur theme. The Yamaha looks like it has a swing arm from the 89 yz 125. Im not going to buy into the E bikes until they literally come take our gas powered bikes from us. I mean who wants to watch a silent race on tv or outdoors for that matter. Just my thoughts and opinions.
aeffertz
7/7/2017 4:39am
mmain62 wrote:
That thing is ugly, as well as the concept Honda with the dinosaur theme. The Yamaha looks like it has a swing arm from the 89...
That thing is ugly, as well as the concept Honda with the dinosaur theme. The Yamaha looks like it has a swing arm from the 89 yz 125. Im not going to buy into the E bikes until they literally come take our gas powered bikes from us. I mean who wants to watch a silent race on tv or outdoors for that matter. Just my thoughts and opinions.
About 90% of vital say they watch the races without volume off because the announcers anyway. Grinning
7/7/2017 5:33am
mmain62 wrote:
That thing is ugly, as well as the concept Honda with the dinosaur theme. The Yamaha looks like it has a swing arm from the 89...
aeffertz wrote:
About 90% of vital say they watch the races without volume off because the announcers anyway. Grinning
90%? Let's take a poll.

I love the sound of the bikes and turn it up. It's about the only time I get to see pros ride without some idiotic song dubbed over the bike or bikes.

Since I have not yet received an answer to my query above about electric cars, I'm going to offer up my own theory. You all haven't bought electric cars because you want to hear and feel the sound of a car engine. Besides, do any of you want to roll up to pick up your date in an electric car? If you do, be sure and wear your hair in a man-bun. I'm sure she'll enjoy the restaurant you've picked out too...what with the Kale French fries and the veggie burgers.
Turbojez
7/7/2017 5:35am
Lastander wrote:
Definately an old pic. Look at the brake line routing. I think yamaha dropped it for "honda style" routing in 2005.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
7/7/2017 5:56am
I've not made up my mind about it being "the future of the sport." How many of you are running out and buying electric cars? If...
I've not made up my mind about it being "the future of the sport." How many of you are running out and buying electric cars? If not, why not?
Electric cars don't have much of a need with the fairly low fuel cost and the amount of fuel efficient gas cars around. It would be interesting to see a 4x4 4 door 3/4 ton(or ton) electric truck with a long work day battery life.

Fourth_Floor
7/7/2017 6:04am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2017 6:06am
mmain62 wrote:
aeffertz wrote:
90%? Let's take a poll. I love the sound of the bikes and turn it up. It's about the only time I get to see pros...
90%? Let's take a poll.

I love the sound of the bikes and turn it up. It's about the only time I get to see pros ride without some idiotic song dubbed over the bike or bikes.

Since I have not yet received an answer to my query above about electric cars, I'm going to offer up my own theory. You all haven't bought electric cars because you want to hear and feel the sound of a car engine. Besides, do any of you want to roll up to pick up your date in an electric car? If you do, be sure and wear your hair in a man-bun. I'm sure she'll enjoy the restaurant you've picked out too...what with the Kale French fries and the veggie burgers.
Well there hasn't been any roads or highways near me that have been closed down due to noise from my 05 Ford Explorer and neighbors don't bitch and call the cops when I fire her up early in the morning to go to work so I suppose I can hold off on the Tesla for now.....What a stupid point you tried making lol. I do love hearing the ticking of that 170,000 mile V6 though....
visser62
7/7/2017 6:30am
I've not made up my mind about it being "the future of the sport." How many of you are running out and buying electric cars? If...
I imagine cost is a big factor. Teslas are fairly expensive, but I see a ton of them in my suburban corner of Seattle.

Next year Tesla has a $30,000 model coming out, I think you will see a lot more of them.

Electric SHOULD be the future of the sport and of driving.
7/7/2017 6:38am
visser62 wrote:
I imagine cost is a big factor. Teslas are fairly expensive, but I see a ton of them in my suburban corner of Seattle. Next year...
I imagine cost is a big factor. Teslas are fairly expensive, but I see a ton of them in my suburban corner of Seattle.

Next year Tesla has a $30,000 model coming out, I think you will see a lot more of them.

Yeah, I'm sure it will end up that way. Not for me. I'll be dead or senile by the time internal combustion engines are banned and declared illegal.
Swann
7/7/2017 7:57am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2017 7:58am
Yeah, I'm sure it will end up that way. Not for me. I'll be dead or senile by the time internal combustion engines are banned and...
Yeah, I'm sure it will end up that way. Not for me. I'll be dead or senile by the time internal combustion engines are banned and declared illegal.
Compressing and exploding gas will always have a role to play in helping to propel objects and humans. Rest assured, no matter the technology, we humans will always be able to propel ourselves, quickly.
erik_94COBRA
7/7/2017 8:16am
I might be interested if they can add a "braaaaap" mode for 2-stroke enthusiasts. Maybe an electrically heated reservoir for vaporizing a small quantity of premix may add to the experience.
HenryA
7/7/2017 8:38am
visser62 wrote:
I imagine cost is a big factor. Teslas are fairly expensive, but I see a ton of them in my suburban corner of Seattle. Next year...

Yeah, I'm sure it will end up that way. Not for me. I'll be dead or senile by the time internal combustion engines are banned and...
Bro, hold on.
Before you say something you will regret...What if I told you.....that the ECU on the Alta is WATER-COOLED! Woohoo

JRT812
7/7/2017 8:41am
Personally, I think it has a future in the sport, but not the future of the sport. For sure a new rabbit trail off the beaten path or new option for some, but not replacing the current style bikes.
TXDirt
7/7/2017 8:43am
I predict that either Honda or KTM buys out Alta and releases either Alta Honda's or Alta KTM's as a separate Electric line of their motorcycles.
TXDirt
7/7/2017 8:50am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2017 8:51am
More people would buy electric cars if the prices were cheaper and there were more recharging stations, etc. It's definitely the future of cars. Just takes a long time to get the technology cheap enough and the infrastructure robust enough.

I also think e-bikes are the future. Cost being one of the biggest problems currently. But as price goes down they will gain more traction. The technology also needs to mature a bit more. E-bikes may not totally replace "race" machines but I think they will absolutely take over the weekend trail rider/weekend warrior. Quieter bikes means more places to trail ride, camp, etc. Imagine being able to take these on the trails in Yosemite, Yellow Stone, etc. Not saying that will happen but certainly a possibility with quieter bikes.

Also, maintenance is a big thing. Less maintenance, less money to spend, less time doing air filters, going to get gas, etc etc.

Again, I don't think they will take over race bikes but there will definitely be a market for this once the price comes down more and the technology matures just a bit more.

It may not be the future of the sport as far as MX/SX is concerned, but I believe it will be the future of dirt bikes.
JRT812
7/7/2017 9:08am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2017 9:08am
TXDirt wrote:
More people would buy electric cars if the prices were cheaper and there were more recharging stations, etc. It's definitely the future of cars. Just takes...
More people would buy electric cars if the prices were cheaper and there were more recharging stations, etc. It's definitely the future of cars. Just takes a long time to get the technology cheap enough and the infrastructure robust enough.

I also think e-bikes are the future. Cost being one of the biggest problems currently. But as price goes down they will gain more traction. The technology also needs to mature a bit more. E-bikes may not totally replace "race" machines but I think they will absolutely take over the weekend trail rider/weekend warrior. Quieter bikes means more places to trail ride, camp, etc. Imagine being able to take these on the trails in Yosemite, Yellow Stone, etc. Not saying that will happen but certainly a possibility with quieter bikes.

Also, maintenance is a big thing. Less maintenance, less money to spend, less time doing air filters, going to get gas, etc etc.

Again, I don't think they will take over race bikes but there will definitely be a market for this once the price comes down more and the technology matures just a bit more.

It may not be the future of the sport as far as MX/SX is concerned, but I believe it will be the future of dirt bikes.
Good points and I'm interested in the potential new riding areas. Currently, we do not have issues with riding areas in my neck of the woods, but the areas where bikes/4 wheelers/UTV's aren't allowed because they do not want to mix off road machines with horse trails, walking trails, or bicycles. Sound probably plays a factor as well, but I wonder if the lack of sound with electric bikes will really open up new trails for us.
7/7/2017 9:16am
visser62 wrote:

HenryA wrote:
Bro, hold on. Before you say something you will regret...What if I told you.....that the ECU on the Alta is WATER-COOLED! :woohoo: [IMG]https://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif[/IMG]
Bro, hold on.
Before you say something you will regret...What if I told you.....that the ECU on the Alta is WATER-COOLED! Woohoo

Brotosaurus...

7/7/2017 9:17am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2017 11:22am
TXDirt wrote:
More people would buy electric cars if the prices were cheaper and there were more recharging stations, etc. It's definitely the future of cars. Just takes...

JRT812 wrote:
Good points and I'm interested in the potential new riding areas. Currently, we do not have issues with riding areas in my neck of the woods...
Good points and I'm interested in the potential new riding areas. Currently, we do not have issues with riding areas in my neck of the woods, but the areas where bikes/4 wheelers/UTV's aren't allowed because they do not want to mix off road machines with horse trails, walking trails, or bicycles. Sound probably plays a factor as well, but I wonder if the lack of sound with electric bikes will really open up new trails for us.
Those are all good points from our TXbro. However, liquid-cooled ECUs blow everything else away.

Edit add: Much ty
SteezGeez
Fantasy
476th
7/7/2017 9:45am
Lastander wrote:
Yes, just go ahead and google "Yamaha PED1 and PES1" They have a dirt bike model and street bike model
Lastander
7/7/2017 10:40am
SteezGeez wrote:
Yes, just go ahead and google "Yamaha PED1 and PES1" They have a dirt bike model and street bike model
A quick Google later told me that the PED1 and PES1 was going to be launched in 2016.
What stopped them?

Post a reply to: Yamaha's Electric Bike

The Latest