Your KX 250f bike mods

MELTON139
Fantasy
3590th
1/16/2018 9:26am Edited Date/Time 1/17/2018 2:27pm
Just got a 2017 KX 250f a few weeks ago and I’m curious what all you all have done to your bikes? Post some pics if you have them!
|
kkawboy14
1/16/2018 9:29am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 12:19pm
All you need Is everything Pro Circuit makes for a kx OR just pour in some t.4.4 racefuel for a stock bike and let er rip!
40acres
1/16/2018 9:38am
Not many mods needed, but you can go apeshit crazy if you want as with any bike. Really depends on what you want. The first thing I do is suspension revalve. My current KX has Race Tech suspension, full FMF Ti, Moto Tassinari air boot, braking oversized front rotor and the normal bars, pegs and levers to fit me. You can add cams and some head work if you'd like as well from Pro Circuit with some good results but I've had good enough results with Kawasaki's tuner module that I don't really need all the work done to the top end. If you can find someone who has one they are pretty nice to have. Just a few small changes and my 250f rips. My largest complaint with the Kawasaki is that it signs off a little too soon. The air boot and tuner box completely changed that.
pmshortt2
1/16/2018 9:38am
Possibly getting a 17 kx250f around June of this year. I see the leftovers selling between $5500 and $6000. Then again I also need to figure out if I need a 250 or 450. Still good deals on 450 past models. 6”3 175lb C class rider Dry
MELTON139
Fantasy
3590th
1/16/2018 10:25am
40acres wrote:
Not many mods needed, but you can go apeshit crazy if you want as with any bike. Really depends on what you want. The first thing...
Not many mods needed, but you can go apeshit crazy if you want as with any bike. Really depends on what you want. The first thing I do is suspension revalve. My current KX has Race Tech suspension, full FMF Ti, Moto Tassinari air boot, braking oversized front rotor and the normal bars, pegs and levers to fit me. You can add cams and some head work if you'd like as well from Pro Circuit with some good results but I've had good enough results with Kawasaki's tuner module that I don't really need all the work done to the top end. If you can find someone who has one they are pretty nice to have. Just a few small changes and my 250f rips. My largest complaint with the Kawasaki is that it signs off a little too soon. The air boot and tuner box completely changed that.
What is this tuner module? I'm not looking to tear into the motor I want to keep it all stock, more looking for other things to add to the bike to either give it a boost or just make it look sweet. I did see the Pro Circuit air boot on here the other day that seemed pretty sweet. Of course an exhaust and suspension are nice too. But which exhaust works best with the KX?

The Shop

40acres
1/16/2018 10:34am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 10:37am
I have seen the new Pro Circuit boot online but I have no experience with it. I got a killer deal on the Moto Tassinari boot last year so that's what I went with. The Pro Circuit boot just wasn't available at the time. Below is the link for the tuner, but it's pricey. Your best bet is to find a local Kawasaki dealer or race shop with this and just pay the hour or so fee to have them tune it. They have resources with Kawasaki that the everyday Joe doesn't have access to. I work at a dealer so the cost wasn't an issue for me as We have the tool. As far as exhaust, they all work well. I run FMF and get great results as I had some issues with Pro Circuit's Ti lineup years ago. Anything is better than Kawasaki's stock coffee can though.

https://m.kawasaki.com/accessories/item/KX252AHF/999990613
mxb2
1/16/2018 10:59am
40acres wrote:
Not many mods needed, but you can go apeshit crazy if you want as with any bike. Really depends on what you want. The first thing...
MELTON139 wrote:
What is this tuner module? I'm not looking to tear into the motor I want to keep it all stock, more looking for other things to...
What is this tuner module? I'm not looking to tear into the motor I want to keep it all stock, more looking for other things to add to the bike to either give it a boost or just make it look sweet. I did see the Pro Circuit air boot on here the other day that seemed pretty sweet. Of course an exhaust and suspension are nice too. But which exhaust works best with the KX?
Kawy tuner, on their site for sale.
1/16/2018 11:03am
I got mine in may and have 20 hrs on it now. I love it. I have a FMF 4.1, Reflex pro levers and VP U4.4 fuel. I tried going up on the rear sprocket and ended up liking stock best. I use the green coupler, white and black didnt feel right to me.

Suspension is still a little soft for me since I am a big guy but over all the bike is pretty good. FYI with the FMF 4.1 it gets a little noisy without the spark arrestor in.

Tracktor
1/16/2018 11:37am
We are running two of them since for $4995 you can't go wrong. Mostly stock at this point. Suspension will be gone through soon. The exhaust isn't as loud as the 2015 was so doubt will change pipes as haven't seen any aftermarket that really make a difference power wise. I am running Flex Bars on mine & always put skidplates to protect frame since home track can get rocky. They really don't need much, imo.

JBecker 72
1/16/2018 12:01pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 12:02pm
Saw a bunch of them being blown out for $5k out the door in September. I might try and get in on that same deal at the end of this summer on an 18.
JBecker 72
1/16/2018 12:16pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 12:18pm
And while this was totally unnecessary from a function standpoint, I ditched the massive stock muffler on my 16 KX450F and went with a FMF 4.1 RCT. The stock muffler on both KXF models is quite the eye sore in my opinion and this just cleaned up the looks a lot.

Oh, and the stock chain guide and swingarm slider is junk. This Acerbis kit was pretty cheap and has been holding up great so far. And cheaper than TM designs.

nd54
1/16/2018 12:22pm

Yoshimura RS-4 slip on, waiting for my re-mapped ecu to get back from tokyo mods. Next thing is to get the forks revalved. They have good bottom resistance but are not very plush stock. The shock works well for me.

40acres
1/16/2018 12:58pm
Yes, I did forget to mention the stock slider/guide being jink. Something Kawi has not seemed to care much aboit fixing. I second the Acerbis setup. My stockers were toast after 30 hours and the Acerbis bits have over 80 on them with a lot more life left.
Tracktor
1/16/2018 1:51pm
40acres wrote:
Yes, I did forget to mention the stock slider/guide being jink. Something Kawi has not seemed to care much aboit fixing. I second the Acerbis setup...
Yes, I did forget to mention the stock slider/guide being jink. Something Kawi has not seemed to care much aboit fixing. I second the Acerbis setup. My stockers were toast after 30 hours and the Acerbis bits have over 80 on them with a lot more life left.
Stock slider and guide are definitely junk. I tried the Acerbis on our 2015 and wasn't that impressed. The slider didn't fit that well and the rear guide fell apart pretty quickly. May just kick down form the TM ones this time...........Of course, my kids is a bit tough on bikes also so maybe it was that?.....
mb60
1/16/2018 3:25pm
JBecker 72 wrote:
And while this was totally unnecessary from a function standpoint, I ditched the massive stock muffler on my 16 KX450F and went with a FMF 4.1...
And while this was totally unnecessary from a function standpoint, I ditched the massive stock muffler on my 16 KX450F and went with a FMF 4.1 RCT. The stock muffler on both KXF models is quite the eye sore in my opinion and this just cleaned up the looks a lot.

Oh, and the stock chain guide and swingarm slider is junk. This Acerbis kit was pretty cheap and has been holding up great so far. And cheaper than TM designs.

Did you do anything with the air forks ?
1/16/2018 3:30pm
JBecker 72 wrote:
And while this was totally unnecessary from a function standpoint, I ditched the massive stock muffler on my 16 KX450F and went with a FMF 4.1...

I've been on Kawi 450s for the last five years and have found that the Acerbis slide and guide kit hasn't held up any better than stock for me. I do ride in a lot of sand though..The TM Designworks is made of a much harder material. It has lasted quite a bit longer, but still not what I was hoping for.
JBecker 72
1/16/2018 3:39pm
JBecker 72 wrote:

mb60 wrote:
Not yet. But will be trying out a spring conversion from MXTech soon. They aren’t bad forks, just not as good as my YZ250 and I’m constantly messing with settings. My biggest complaint is the vague feeling you get from the front tire some times. I’ve tucked the front a couple times now when I swore I had front grip still.

In a perfect world it would have a dual spring A kit. But, $$$.
JBecker 72
1/16/2018 3:46pm
JBecker 72 wrote:

I've been on Kawi 450s for the last five years and have found that the Acerbis slide and guide kit hasn't held up any better than...
I've been on Kawi 450s for the last five years and have found that the Acerbis slide and guide kit hasn't held up any better than stock for me. I do ride in a lot of sand though..The TM Designworks is made of a much harder material. It has lasted quite a bit longer, but still not what I was hoping for.
I only really ride at one sandy track. But so far my Acerbis kit has held up well. I took off my stock stuff early on but was surprised how quick it ate up. Just seems to be made of a very soft material.
pmshortt2
1/16/2018 5:17pm
JBecker 72 wrote:
Saw a bunch of them being blown out for $5k out the door in September. I might try and get in on that same deal at...
Saw a bunch of them being blown out for $5k out the door in September. I might try and get in on that same deal at the end of this summer on an 18.
Where at for 5k otd
JBecker 72
1/16/2018 5:23pm
JBecker 72 wrote:
Saw a bunch of them being blown out for $5k out the door in September. I might try and get in on that same deal at...
pmshortt2 wrote:
Where at for 5k otd
Ridersville Cycle in WV. All they have is 18s now though. That was the out of state resident price so no sales tax added.
nytsmaC
1/16/2018 5:48pm
JBecker 72 wrote:

mb60 wrote:
JBecker 72 wrote:
Not yet. But will be trying out a spring conversion from MXTech soon. They aren’t bad forks, just not as good as my YZ250 and I’m...
Not yet. But will be trying out a spring conversion from MXTech soon. They aren’t bad forks, just not as good as my YZ250 and I’m constantly messing with settings. My biggest complaint is the vague feeling you get from the front tire some times. I’ve tucked the front a couple times now when I swore I had front grip still.

How much is the MX Tech kit?

Have you considered Ohlins cartridges? They’re dual spring and you can remove/sell them easily when you sell the bije.
JBecker 72
1/16/2018 5:57pm
mb60 wrote:
JBecker 72 wrote:
Not yet. But will be trying out a spring conversion from MXTech soon. They aren’t bad forks, just not as good as my YZ250 and I’m...

nytsmaC wrote:
How much is the MX Tech kit?

Have you considered Ohlins cartridges? They’re dual spring and you can remove/sell them easily when you sell the bije.
I was quoted $1300 by my suspension guy for the conversion, revavling the damping side, and revalving the shock. That’s parts and labor and I will be getting new SKF green seals front and back. Plus I can come ride on his track and he will help with setup. I like the work he did to my YZ250.

A dual spring Ohlins cartridge kit does sound appealing, though.
Tracktor
1/17/2018 9:44am
JBecker 72 wrote:
pmshortt2 wrote:
Where at for 5k otd
Motosport Hillsboro in Oregon has 17 KX250f's for $4995 & Kx450f's for $5995 right now.......
potatoflake
1/17/2018 10:19am
I did the park it and pick up a 250 2 stroke mod. Pretty happy with that.
JBecker 72
1/17/2018 2:27pm
I did the park it and pick up a 250 2 stroke mod. Pretty happy with that.
Ha, I pretty much parked my YZ250 after getting the KX450F.

Post a reply to: Your KX 250f bike mods

The Latest