Your ideal suspension

Ryan625
Edited Date/Time 10/18/2020 2:12pm
The plan is to do a “B-kit” build on my next bike. My question is what direction would the fine people of vital do? I’ve ridden plenty of A-kits and well built pro bikes but never anything done specifically for me beyond a revalve. So my question is what would you do to your suspension given roughly a $2500 budget, give or take.
|
yz133rider
10/15/2020 3:24pm
Ryan625 wrote:
The plan is to do a “B-kit” build on my next bike. My question is what direction would the fine people of vital do? I’ve ridden...
The plan is to do a “B-kit” build on my next bike. My question is what direction would the fine people of vital do? I’ve ridden plenty of A-kits and well built pro bikes but never anything done specifically for me beyond a revalve. So my question is what would you do to your suspension given roughly a $2500 budget, give or take.
That could get you ohlins inserts and ohlins shock set up for you.

What bike?
Donkey Kong
10/15/2020 3:24pm
At least on Japanese bikes I'm not sure how much there is to do considering the new 450s have A-Kit copy's stock. Maybe Enzo sub tanks and spring tubes or something. If it's an Austrian bike cone valves are the obvious choice. The only other option would be Ohlins.
Ryan625
10/15/2020 3:30pm
Specifically a yz250f. I’m leaning towards a B kit build
TeamGreen
10/15/2020 3:42pm
Ryan625 wrote:
On a new YZF?
Send your stock stuff to enzo. They KNOW that KYB hardware!
Voila!
Best suspension for the buck.

The Shop

JMR1976
10/15/2020 4:20pm
Cadillac over the rough stuff!
Ryan625
10/15/2020 4:33pm
These are great, but how about some specifics? Like what makes a b kit so good, what does one place do better than the other?
Buzzard167
10/15/2020 4:38pm
Ryan625 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
On a new YZF?
Send your stock stuff to enzo. They KNOW that KYB hardware!
Voila!
Best suspension for the buck.
Enzo x2
10/15/2020 4:44pm Edited Date/Time 10/15/2020 4:45pm
Definitely send it to Enzo. Really all it needs is the revalve. If you want to keep throwing money at it you could get different pistons and what ever other internas they do. You could get the fork legs coated. If your going to spend that much money, make sure you are getting the suspension serviced every 25 hours.
10/15/2020 5:35pm
Sag set, broken in and sent to a local suspension tuner for a revalve. Good enough for me
PTshox
10/15/2020 5:42pm
Do it yourself. Once you get the basics of how to build a shim stack you'll never have anyone else do it for you.
It's far from rocket science.
Johnny Depp
10/15/2020 5:46pm Edited Date/Time 10/15/2020 5:55pm
Ryan625 wrote:
These are great, but how about some specifics? Like what makes a b kit so good, what does one place do better than the other?
For forks, the MX-Tech Carbon Lucky is the new big thing. https://mx-tech.com/shop/fork-parts/mxt-lucky-carbon/
The Huck bottoming cone is unique and used by many other tuners, the lightest friction co-efficient, lighter with hard anodiized wear parts and more. Stock KYB's are great, but you want to step up. The KYB kit requires lug removal IIRC.

The MXT National shock is too expensive for your budget. An Xtrig preload adjuster, a triple adjuster from an RM, a low friction piston and ring, and maybe some coatings might help you burn that cash. Enzo has more shock goodies.
https://www.enzoracing.com/parts-accessories/

Ryan625
10/15/2020 5:51pm
Ryan625 wrote:
For forks, the MX-Tech Carbon Lucky is the new big thing. https://mx-tech.com/shop/fork-parts/mxt-lucky-carbon/ The Huck bottoming cone is unique and used by many other tuners, the lightest...
For forks, the MX-Tech Carbon Lucky is the new big thing. https://mx-tech.com/shop/fork-parts/mxt-lucky-carbon/
The Huck bottoming cone is unique and used by many other tuners, the lightest friction co-efficient, lighter with hard anodiized wear parts and more. Stock KYB's are great, but you want to step up. The KYB kit requires lug removal IIRC.

The MXT National shock is too expensive for your budget. An Xtrig preload adjuster, a triple adjuster from an RM, a low friction piston and ring, and maybe some coatings might help you burn that cash. Enzo has more shock goodies.

Great feedback that is more what I was hoping for. I know the kyb is good, I loved it stock on the demo I rode< but I plan keeping this bike for 100+ hours. that's 3-4 seasons for me as it'll be bike #3.

I have a good friend that has the Technical Touch forks and says the B kit isn't far off the A-kit, not enough to justify the extra cost for the average guy.
jaredkeller96
10/15/2020 6:17pm
So you have a 2020 YZF..okay..those come with the exact same forks that KYB sells as "kit" suspension...send it to art of war. pay for a revalve..and get some coatings..youd be dumb to go put another brands cartridge kit inside of those forks. my .02 cents...but I dont know anything
Lightning78
10/15/2020 6:32pm
nytsmaC wrote:
I’d make it plush, yet firm
You should always look comfortable especially with posting pics on vital
numbers
10/15/2020 6:40pm
Ryan625 wrote:
Redheads work harder. Better dampening and slow rebound. Adjustable squish.....oh wrong thread.
Ryan625
10/15/2020 6:43pm
So you have a 2020 YZF..okay..those come with the exact same forks that KYB sells as "kit" suspension...send it to art of war. pay for a...
So you have a 2020 YZF..okay..those come with the exact same forks that KYB sells as "kit" suspension...send it to art of war. pay for a revalve..and get some coatings..youd be dumb to go put another brands cartridge kit inside of those forks. my .02 cents...but I dont know anything
I was ready to try the lucky on my husky, but the KYB was the selling point for the yz250f. I’m leaning toward Enzo but I want to inquire with one of my local builders on a comparable build. These responses are helping me understand what a “B-kit” really means lol
bh
10/15/2020 6:46pm
Ryan625 wrote:
For forks, the MX-Tech Carbon Lucky is the new big thing. https://mx-tech.com/shop/fork-parts/mxt-lucky-carbon/ The Huck bottoming cone is unique and used by many other tuners, the lightest...

That national shock is really intriguing. Would love to try one.
mxaaron
10/15/2020 6:48pm Edited Date/Time 10/15/2020 6:55pm
Ryan625 wrote:
The plan is to do a “B-kit” build on my next bike. My question is what direction would the fine people of vital do? I’ve ridden...
I say just call Dan, he'll get you set up! Have you been riding much? I'm headed to Cali this weekend. Maybe we can ride soon.
Ryan625
10/15/2020 7:06pm
Ryan625 wrote:
mxaaron wrote:
I say just call Dan, he'll get you set up! Have you been riding much? I'm headed to Cali this weekend. Maybe we can ride soon.
I definitely plan talking to Dan about it.

I’ve been riding off and on, but broke my arm last week.
I’ll let you know when it’s healed up!
mxaaron
10/15/2020 7:08pm
Ryan625 wrote:
mxaaron wrote:
Ryan625 wrote:
I definitely plan talking to Dan about it. I’ve been riding off and on, but broke my arm last week. I’ll let you know when it’s...

Oh man! Tough to be tinning without a good arm! Heal up, I'll see you soon I'm sure.
LungButter
10/15/2020 7:12pm
mxaaron wrote:
If Dan is Dan Moore with EVO then that’s who I’d call too. Especially since your in Washington.

Been MANY bad dudes from the PNW run suspenders that Dan tuned.
mxaaron
10/15/2020 7:14pm
mxaaron wrote:
LungButter wrote:
If Dan is Dan Moore with EVO then that’s who I’d call too. Especially since your in Washington. Been MANY bad dudes from the PNW run...
If Dan is Dan Moore with EVO then that’s who I’d call too. Especially since your in Washington.

Yep....
Ryan625
10/15/2020 9:49pm Edited Date/Time 10/15/2020 9:50pm
mxaaron wrote:
LungButter wrote:
If Dan is Dan Moore with EVO then that’s who I’d call too. Especially since your in Washington. Been MANY bad dudes from the PNW run...

Dan’s been a friend for years and did all my bikes when I raced. Nicest, but quietest guy you’ll ever meet

I think it’s time I go back to him again. But with a little better understanding of what I’m asking for 👍
numbers
10/15/2020 10:13pm
Ryan625 wrote:
mxaaron wrote:
Ryan625 wrote:
I definitely plan talking to Dan about it. I’ve been riding off and on, but broke my arm last week. I’ll let you know when it’s...

Dan Moore. Hes the best in the state.

Post a reply to: Your ideal suspension

The Latest