loosing interest

4/17/2018 1:46pm Edited Date/Time 4/18/2018 10:56pm
I started watching mx and going to nationals back in about 85 at unadilla , some would call it the mecca I was 5 when i saw and met Hanna a hand full of times , I was already riding bye this time . I met widham, ferry, McGrath , emig my all time favorite, carmichael. I always had a love for this sport . I have been to Southwick , gator back, supercross' up the east coast , I have never raced mx but have done some haresrambles here and there.

I have recently started to loose interest in the coverage of the sport , going to a supercross even watching on tv isnt as entertaining as it use to be . I don't know why and hope someone who is older than 22 can answer this . Is it because there are no more Carmichael and js7 ? Every other rider is injured ? Tracks are one lined leading too boring racing?

Your help is appreciated as I need to show my new son why this sport is awesome and not that it use to be awesome. Thanks in advance.

|
rmoto003
4/17/2018 1:50pm
couldnt possibly be because you are just personally loosing interest in it...

nah, its the sports fault!
hillbilly
4/17/2018 1:56pm
Can't tell ya,I lost interest
kkawboy14
4/17/2018 1:56pm
I’m to tired to be interested
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
4/17/2018 1:57pm
maybe if you tightened things up a bit you wouldn't be loosing any interest? Don't loose interesting, tighten your views a bit and focus on what brought you into this sport in the first place.

All joking aside, I don't feel it's the same as it was when I was growing up. 27 now, but I still fully believe the racing was better and riding was more fun when the training wasn't as serious and we were still riding 2 strokes. I know we will never get back to that, but I picked up a yz250 on Sunday because riding them recently brought back the fun. I'm out there to have fun and enjoy my motorcycle, not to be the next RC, MC or RV. I think most of us lose that at some point and just need just get a little refresh. Maybe you need to step away for a bit and let the fever come back a little bit.

Supercross loses my interest at times when the track is one lined and everyone is doing the same rhythms. It's boring and no one is able to do anything different to make up time. Outdoors will always be my favorite, but I hate when it's a runaway. I think this outdoor season should be good. Step away from the sport from now until the night before Hangtown. Don't have anything to do with motorcycles at all until then and I bet the passion comes back.

The Shop

seth505
Fantasy
1048th
4/17/2018 1:58pm
I know how you feel. I have loose shoelaces Sad
VET176
4/17/2018 2:07pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
I’m to tired to be interested
Take a nap. Tongue
HuskyEd
4/17/2018 2:12pm
seth505 wrote:
I know how you feel. I have loose shoelaces Sad
Well that makes you a looser. Tongue
early
Fantasy
2139th
4/17/2018 2:14pm
Sounds like a good time to borrow
Taotech
4/17/2018 2:14pm
I have a hard time finding anything that is as cool as it used to be. I wonder why.
msp138
4/17/2018 2:15pm
I started watching mx and going to nationals back in about 85 at unadilla , some would call it the mecca I was 5 when i...
I started watching mx and going to nationals back in about 85 at unadilla , some would call it the mecca I was 5 when i saw and met Hanna a hand full of times , I was already riding bye this time . I met widham, ferry, McGrath , emig my all time favorite, carmichael. I always had a love for this sport . I have been to Southwick , gator back, supercross' up the east coast , I have never raced mx but have done some haresrambles here and there.

I have recently started to loose interest in the coverage of the sport , going to a supercross even watching on tv isnt as entertaining as it use to be . I don't know why and hope someone who is older than 22 can answer this . Is it because there are no more Carmichael and js7 ? Every other rider is injured ? Tracks are one lined leading too boring racing?

Your help is appreciated as I need to show my new son why this sport is awesome and not that it use to be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Seeing your kids get interested hopefully will spark your interest again. Nostalgia makes us have a real bad memory. McGrath dominated so much it was boring in that time period. The flash he brought was the exciting part not necessarily the racing. RC dominated as well. The only thing to remember was his crashes and out of control wide open style. Racing still boring though besides a select few rounds. You could argue that these triple crown racing are way closer racing than the 90s and 00s. Seeing the top 6 guys in the same lane on the last lap of a supercross race was not common. We just need a rivalary again that gets heated and both riders can back it up.
4/17/2018 2:16pm
Start watching the GP's, your interest will definitely come back watching that series especially the deep sand races.
Taotech
4/17/2018 2:16pm
Mx was so cool that even though it lost half or more of it's cool it is still the coolest thing out there.
4/17/2018 2:34pm
rmoto003 wrote:

Rmoto003 ever been to dilla in the 80's ? I guessing nope .....
Hammer 663s
4/17/2018 2:34pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2018 2:35pm
Go find a Vet class and do some gate drops. Regain appreciation for the skill it takes to do this. Get your kid racing too but for fun, not because you want to have the next Emig. (he won't be). Spend sunny Saturdays at the track, riding together, have a sandwich in the sun on the ramp of the trailer and look at your bikes, talking about what sections you rocked and how good he is getting. Make him help load and unload the trailer, and watch while you clean the bikes. Then sit in the garage with your boy, have a cold beer, and look at your clean bikes and talk about how much fun you had. It don't get more awesome than that, and I'm doing exactly this on Sunday.

Mike
4/17/2018 2:35pm
rmoto003 wrote:

Rmoto003 ever been to dilla in the 80's ? I guessing nope ..... it's not the same , I know I'm not the only one who thinks it's not as exciting
Jarid332
Fantasy
1823rd
4/17/2018 2:38pm
I think once Seely got hurt the viewership went down. #SeelyNation.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
4/17/2018 2:42pm
MX in the 70s was awesome both local and national level, MXs in the 80s and 90s was pretty damn awesome too. I still follow it religiously but when I ride, I ride a 125 2 stoke and have a great time. Cool . I also enjoy watching the SXs and Nationals in HD from my easy chair and I will go to a couple SXs every year but don't haul my butt to a national very often, too much work Unsure
Nuffsaid
4/17/2018 2:49pm
Start watching the GP's, your interest will definitely come back watching that series especially the deep sand races.
This, real racing
Excaliburbmx
4/17/2018 2:49pm
We live in the internet age now where you get to much coverage and forums with to much back and forth.
We drive ourselves to know more an hour after a race then back in the day waiting for a month or two on the magazines to drop.
4/17/2018 3:07pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2018 3:16pm
I just think racing was better 3-5-20 yrs ago , I was old 3 yrs ago I felt a young 20 but racing was racing . Am I wrong saying it's not the same ? Manufacturer? Promoter? Something is different. I love the sport but not in the last two three yrs , btw I don't blame it on tide pods.

I'm not blaming it on faster bikes or faster kids.

mx_563
4/17/2018 3:11pm
Age man. The sport, as you remember it...when you were bright eyed and wet behind the ears, looks a lot different when you are a crusty geezer and catch yourself standing in line to get some teenager's autograph. That's when it hits you.

Factor in:

* track closures
* remaining local "race" tracks having become merely practice facilities
* TMZ drama perpetrated by the media (oooo.....Anderson and Marvin not getting along......oooooooooo!!!)
* commercialization (I can't thank my team enough, dunlops hooked up great, etc)
* political correctness....

...and you wake up one day a disillusioned cynical old fart wondering why your interest has waned.....like me! :-)

Just my $0.02
jonesaustin
4/17/2018 3:16pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2018 3:17pm
It's because of the engine. We lost when we switched. Then Carmichael was so huge, and opened the door to a NASCAR feel, which the sport should have veered away from. The sport is Rick Johnson and those guys, that's what it is. Or was. Palm trees and southern California. Surfers. More radical in attitude. We've lost most of that, and it started in the early 2000's.
4/17/2018 3:18pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2018 3:19pm
We live in the internet age now where you get to much coverage and forums with to much back and forth. We drive ourselves to know...
We live in the internet age now where you get to much coverage and forums with to much back and forth.
We drive ourselves to know more an hour after a race then back in the day waiting for a month or two on the magazines to drop.
I agree with this. Start to take small breaks from it, only watch race coverage. Enjoy another hobby or two. Then when you do follow coverage, it will feel exciting.
We are just on overload with social media.
I’m 43, I stepped away 17 years from riding but still watched racing. I no longer force myself to ride if I’m not feeling it, unlike in my 20’s.

Ghost
4/17/2018 3:19pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2018 3:23pm
mx_563 wrote:
Age man. The sport, as you remember it...when you were bright eyed and wet behind the ears, looks a lot different when you are a crusty...
Age man. The sport, as you remember it...when you were bright eyed and wet behind the ears, looks a lot different when you are a crusty geezer and catch yourself standing in line to get some teenager's autograph. That's when it hits you.

Factor in:

* track closures
* remaining local "race" tracks having become merely practice facilities
* TMZ drama perpetrated by the media (oooo.....Anderson and Marvin not getting along......oooooooooo!!!)
* commercialization (I can't thank my team enough, dunlops hooked up great, etc)
* political correctness....

...and you wake up one day a disillusioned cynical old fart wondering why your interest has waned.....like me! :-)

Just my $0.02
I can't blame the love of the sport on age being my father lined up in the plus 50 class this week at age 61. I guess we will always love to ride but the coverage and the way promotion has gone may just crush it .
4/17/2018 3:25pm
We live in the internet age now where you get to much coverage and forums with to much back and forth. We drive ourselves to know...
I agree with this. Start to take small breaks from it, only watch race coverage. Enjoy another hobby or two. Then when you do follow coverage...
I agree with this. Start to take small breaks from it, only watch race coverage. Enjoy another hobby or two. Then when you do follow coverage, it will feel exciting.
We are just on overload with social media.
I’m 43, I stepped away 17 years from riding but still watched racing. I no longer force myself to ride if I’m not feeling it, unlike in my 20’s.

Ghost
I love to ride just don't care who wins a 250 east anymore . Smh
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
4/17/2018 3:26pm
Jarid332 wrote:
I think once Seely got hurt the viewership went down. #SeelyNation.
OK, I got to ask. What's with the obsession over Seely?
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
4/17/2018 3:28pm
Much appreciated for the thanks in advance.
4/17/2018 3:36pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2018 3:41pm
kzizok wrote:
Much appreciated for the thanks in advance.
Meaning ??? This is your input on how this sports covetage has effected you are your family .exactly silenced
4/17/2018 3:38pm
The bikes are partly why it's not as crazy exciting now (or at least as often).

Everybody knows four strokes put power to the ground different and anyone from novice to champ will tell you they are much easier and smoother to ride.

Back up 20 years. Two strokes are lighter, more power per CC, and have light-switch powerbands. They are hard to ride and harder to ride fast (for most of us). Lighter weight and hard hitting power curves meant the bikes hopped and danced more on the track. Put a bunch of guys together on that same equipment and races look more exciting, especially in the outdoors.

Pros today didn't come up on two strokes like RC and JS7. That era of racer is fading away and Chad is really the only one left here in the states (he also prefers four strokes and says they are smoother and easier to race).

Riders today are smoother and faster because of the bikes. Track builders changed jump spacing to accommodate the evolved rider and machine. It's natural it looks different because it is.

Post a reply to: loosing interest

The Latest