"new" (to me) bike story

Titan1
Edited Date/Time 8/3/2012 1:25pm
So, as I mentioned in another thread I just purchased a 09 YZF450, with what I was told had less than 5 hours on it (and it looks awesome, perfectly clean, stock plastics look perfect, inside the airbox looks like new, exhaust looks great-no dirt baked on, just about perfectly clean all the way around).

Anyway, I get it home last week. Change the oil, clean the air filter, check the spokes, check the coolant, check all the bolts...rode it up and down the street a couple times anxious for the weekend to take it out (it always started right up, ran perfect, idled perfect), if just felt like a brand new bike. Yes, I was excited.

So saturday comes, I get all my "honey-do's" done in the morning load up the trailer and my two brothers and I hit the road. We drove about 45 minutes to the riding area...unload the trailer, get our gear on. I hop on my new bike, start it up (1st kick) and I'm sitting on it while its idling just letting it warm up. After about a minute or so, it dies. I thought that was weird, so I pull the kick starter out, and go to kick it over and its frozen solid....the kick starter won't budge! The piston is absolutely frozen solid.

Needless to say I'm pretty ticked off!

Rant Over.
|
RonSkj
Fantasy
131st
7/31/2012 10:42am
I have a great (smart ass) reply, Something about 2 strokes.. But now's not the time.

That sucks! Sad
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
7/31/2012 10:47am
Hmmm, lost oil flow/pressure for some reason it seems?
peelout
7/31/2012 10:48am
shitty, man. gotta love 'em

now you'll spend more to re-build it that you probably paid for it
jeffro503
7/31/2012 10:50am
Titan.........are you sure you had enough and the right kind of oil in there? If so.....maybe the pump quit working? Sounds like the oil broke down , or a wrist pin clip or bearing may of come loose? Really sorry to hear that.....BUT......at least it did it on the stand....not while you were riding it! Also.....since it was just idling you may not really have any damage or much anyways. Good luck.........it sounds like nothing to major to be honest. Tear that head off and look at what you got.

The Shop

pete24
7/31/2012 10:55am
thats a sign that says, that bike needs a cr500 motor in it
knobby101
7/31/2012 10:56am
Titan1 wrote:
So, as I mentioned in another thread I just purchased a 09 YZF450, with what I was told had less than 5 hours on it (and...
So, as I mentioned in another thread I just purchased a 09 YZF450, with what I was told had less than 5 hours on it (and it looks awesome, perfectly clean, stock plastics look perfect, inside the airbox looks like new, exhaust looks great-no dirt baked on, just about perfectly clean all the way around).

Anyway, I get it home last week. Change the oil, clean the air filter, check the spokes, check the coolant, check all the bolts...rode it up and down the street a couple times anxious for the weekend to take it out (it always started right up, ran perfect, idled perfect), if just felt like a brand new bike. Yes, I was excited.

So saturday comes, I get all my "honey-do's" done in the morning load up the trailer and my two brothers and I hit the road. We drove about 45 minutes to the riding area...unload the trailer, get our gear on. I hop on my new bike, start it up (1st kick) and I'm sitting on it while its idling just letting it warm up. After about a minute or so, it dies. I thought that was weird, so I pull the kick starter out, and go to kick it over and its frozen solid....the kick starter won't budge! The piston is absolutely frozen solid.

Rant Over.
You said you changed the oil... how much oil did you put back in??... what about the oil filter? Are you positive it isnt in the kick starter gears.. Did you put it in gear a rock it back and forth?

My son inlaw raced these bikes in the njational hare and hound series teamed with Russ Pearson, the only time they had a piston failure is when the piston would crack around the wrist pin, i also saw this in Clark Stiles and Jacob Saylers bikes.. other then that i have never seen one stick unless there was no oil... I also have had several of these bikes and ride them in high temp conditions with out alot of air flow the radiators.. I have yet to stick one or blow one up.. your problem has to be in the oil??.
PaleBlue
7/31/2012 11:10am
The only positive thing I can say is at least you don't have the expense of rebuilding the 'top end'. Either way I'm sorry to hear it, no fun for you....
Titan1
7/31/2012 11:24am
Titan1 wrote:
So, as I mentioned in another thread I just purchased a 09 YZF450, with what I was told had less than 5 hours on it (and...

Rant Over.
knobby101 wrote:
You said you changed the oil... how much oil did you put back in??... what about the oil filter? Are you positive it isnt in the...
You said you changed the oil... how much oil did you put back in??... what about the oil filter? Are you positive it isnt in the kick starter gears.. Did you put it in gear a rock it back and forth?

My son inlaw raced these bikes in the njational hare and hound series teamed with Russ Pearson, the only time they had a piston failure is when the piston would crack around the wrist pin, i also saw this in Clark Stiles and Jacob Saylers bikes.. other then that i have never seen one stick unless there was no oil... I also have had several of these bikes and ride them in high temp conditions with out alot of air flow the radiators.. I have yet to stick one or blow one up.. your problem has to be in the oil??.
I changed the oil filter and the oil, and put in just over 1 quart of oil (1.06 I think is what the manual calls for). I used the yamaha brand oil (not sure of the weight off the top of my head, but it was what the dealer gave to me to use, so I HOPE its the right oil!).

I am fairly positive it isn't the kick starter gears, but I suppose it could be. The reason I say that is because I put it in 5th gear, and I couldn't even get the back wheel to turn at all (it rolls around fine when its in neutral or when the clutch is in). I assumed that if it was the kick starter, I could have push started it, right? Or is my logic off on that? (I'm far from mechanical....)

My thinking is that it's the oil pump. I'll have it all torn down-by a professional, I don't trust myself on these things-and let ya'll know what comes of it.

I will live and learn from it...but it sure ruined my weekend (and I'm still ticked off about it), and will likely put a rather significant dent in my checking account...

I'm just not sure if I should blame it on 4 strokes, or yamaha's??? (This is the first yamaha I've ever owned...)
newmann
7/31/2012 11:31am
Bummer. The 450 Yamaha has been known to be pretty damn reliable.
7GP
7/31/2012 11:40am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2012 11:42am
That sucks. I would blame it on bad luck rather than 4 strokes or Yamahas. That is a pretty rare occurrence. I haven't wrenched on a 09 YZ450F, but on some bikes you can put the oil filter in backwards if you aren't thinking about it. This blocks oil flow, might be worth checking out.
newmann
7/31/2012 11:47am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2012 11:48am
You mentioned you left it on the stand idling to warm up. It wasn't puking coolant when it died was it? My YZ250F would overheat quick if it wasn't in motion.
ADynes
7/31/2012 12:06pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2012 12:11pm
Have you opened it up yet? I had the cam chain skip a couple teeth on the exhaust cam on my 06 kx while idling before practice @ Redbud. It felt locked up just like you describe, because the auto-decompression pin was no longer opening exhaust valves slightly on compression stroke. Maybe you'll get lucky and that's all it'll be? I ditched the auto cam chain tensioner, made a manual one, and haven't had a problem since.

Pull the spark plug and see if it will turn over. If it does, you probably just need to re-time the cams.
reded
7/31/2012 12:07pm
If it's anything like the ATV engine, the filter will not go in backwards and mine has never boiled over. I've only used it in the dunes and in the summer it's hot as hell out in the sand.
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
7/31/2012 12:09pm
7GP wrote:
That sucks. I would blame it on bad luck rather than 4 strokes or Yamahas. That is a pretty rare occurrence. I haven't wrenched on a...
That sucks. I would blame it on bad luck rather than 4 strokes or Yamahas. That is a pretty rare occurrence. I haven't wrenched on a 09 YZ450F, but on some bikes you can put the oil filter in backwards if you aren't thinking about it. This blocks oil flow, might be worth checking out.
I have seen this before, and it ended in the exact same scenario that you have. The only difference is what I saw was a KX450f. Bummer dude, typically the YZ's are the toughest most reliable bikes out there.
DrSweden
7/31/2012 1:29pm
Oil filter facing the wrong direction? Oil stops flowing emediatly...
M-M
7/31/2012 1:35pm
DrSweden wrote:
Oil filter facing the wrong direction? Oil stops flowing emediatly...
Was just going to say that.... a friend of mine did that Pinch
Titan1
7/31/2012 2:11pm
If my memory serves (and I'm at work and can't check), but it seems like its down right impossible to put the filter in backwards....one side was completely flat if I remember right (I've only done it one time on the bike, so I'm not 100% certain). So I don't think its that (If it is...then, I'm a moron).

I did pull the spark plug when I got home, and it still wouldn't budge.

It wasn't puking coolant when it stalled, it had only idled for maybe 60 seconds.

I hope its just something simple...like the cam chain, or kick starter gears or something. But I'm not thinking that's the case.

Thanks for the condolences and suggestions. I appreciate it.
Barrett57
7/31/2012 2:35pm
It happened to me on a 06 crf250.

The thing shit itself after 1 lap and destroyed the engine. £1000 repair bill, ruined my weekend and my wallet.

Hope it's not too bad for you.
mjskier
7/31/2012 2:53pm
If that were an issue with the kick starter gear, you should be able to put it in gear and make the wheel turn, especially if you have the spark plug off.
7GP
7/31/2012 3:01pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2012 3:02pm
It might be worth it to pull the side covers off before pulling the top end. My friend had an 06 or 07 YZ450F where the bolts came loose on the stator, it cocked sideways, snagged on the flywheel and bound up badly. You couldn't roll it forwards or backwards and the kick starter was stuck. Seemed like it was seized. He did some research and apparently he isn't alone in that happening to YZ450F owners. I also had a KX250F that had the flywheel nut back off and stick against the side cover giving similar symptoms. Both of these problems occurred and pretty much idle rpms. Either way pulling the ignition cover off might be worth the trouble.
Titan1
7/31/2012 4:05pm
mjskier wrote:
If that were an issue with the kick starter gear, you should be able to put it in gear and make the wheel turn, especially if...
If that were an issue with the kick starter gear, you should be able to put it in gear and make the wheel turn, especially if you have the spark plug off.
That's a good point...I pulled the spark plug and tried to move the kick starter (with no luck), but I didn't try and turn the rear wheel while it was in gear. I'll try that tonight...
Titan1
7/31/2012 4:06pm
7GP wrote:
It might be worth it to pull the side covers off before pulling the top end. My friend had an 06 or 07 YZ450F where the...
It might be worth it to pull the side covers off before pulling the top end. My friend had an 06 or 07 YZ450F where the bolts came loose on the stator, it cocked sideways, snagged on the flywheel and bound up badly. You couldn't roll it forwards or backwards and the kick starter was stuck. Seemed like it was seized. He did some research and apparently he isn't alone in that happening to YZ450F owners. I also had a KX250F that had the flywheel nut back off and stick against the side cover giving similar symptoms. Both of these problems occurred and pretty much idle rpms. Either way pulling the ignition cover off might be worth the trouble.
I'll look at that as well.

Although, the bike will roll when in neutral or when the clutch is in. Is that what you meant? Or did you mean it wouldn't roll at all?
mx836
7/31/2012 4:56pm
Titan1 wrote:
I changed the oil filter and the oil, and put in just over 1 quart of oil (1.06 I think is what the manual calls for)...
I changed the oil filter and the oil, and put in just over 1 quart of oil (1.06 I think is what the manual calls for). I used the yamaha brand oil (not sure of the weight off the top of my head, but it was what the dealer gave to me to use, so I HOPE its the right oil!).

I am fairly positive it isn't the kick starter gears, but I suppose it could be. The reason I say that is because I put it in 5th gear, and I couldn't even get the back wheel to turn at all (it rolls around fine when its in neutral or when the clutch is in). I assumed that if it was the kick starter, I could have push started it, right? Or is my logic off on that? (I'm far from mechanical....)

My thinking is that it's the oil pump. I'll have it all torn down-by a professional, I don't trust myself on these things-and let ya'll know what comes of it.

I will live and learn from it...but it sure ruined my weekend (and I'm still ticked off about it), and will likely put a rather significant dent in my checking account...

I'm just not sure if I should blame it on 4 strokes, or yamaha's??? (This is the first yamaha I've ever owned...)
Blame it on 4 strokes and Yamaha. They both suck. It really is sad what 4 strokes are doing to moto. After racing all my life, I can't afford it due to crazy bike prices and expensive rebuilds/repairs. All during what could be the best moto years of my life of course...my twenties. Wad up in a battle and someone smashes your exhaust? There's another grand. Can only afford to do that so many times.
slipdog
7/31/2012 5:39pm
mx836 wrote:
Blame it on 4 strokes and Yamaha. They both suck. It really is sad what 4 strokes are doing to moto. After racing all my life...
Blame it on 4 strokes and Yamaha. They both suck. It really is sad what 4 strokes are doing to moto. After racing all my life, I can't afford it due to crazy bike prices and expensive rebuilds/repairs. All during what could be the best moto years of my life of course...my twenties. Wad up in a battle and someone smashes your exhaust? There's another grand. Can only afford to do that so many times.
I have a 2008 CRF450 and I've only put gas, oil, tires and REGULAR maintenance into it and it runs like a champ...

As a matter of fact, I had no problems with my '05 CRF250, my '07 KX250f, my '08 yZ450 or my '09 YZ250f.

*Your results may vary* Tongue
7GP
7/31/2012 5:51pm
7GP wrote:
It might be worth it to pull the side covers off before pulling the top end. My friend had an 06 or 07 YZ450F where the...
Titan1 wrote:
I'll look at that as well. Although, the bike will roll when in neutral or when the clutch is in. Is that what you meant? Or...

Although, the bike will roll when in neutral or when the clutch is in. Is that what you meant? Or did you mean it wouldn't roll at all?
Ahh yeah I meant you couldn't roll it forwards or backwards in gear. Even grabbing the rear wheel and trying to turn it over in 5th wouldn't budge the piston. His Yamaha would roll forward and back with the clutch in or in neutral.

From your description it doesn't sound like it seized, especially if you didn't see it spitting coolant. More like something came loose and bound up. Hope you get it sorted with the least $$ spent possible.
mx836
7/31/2012 5:54pm
slipdog wrote:
I have a 2008 CRF450 and I've only put gas, oil, tires and REGULAR maintenance into it and it runs like a champ... As a matter...
I have a 2008 CRF450 and I've only put gas, oil, tires and REGULAR maintenance into it and it runs like a champ...

As a matter of fact, I had no problems with my '05 CRF250, my '07 KX250f, my '08 yZ450 or my '09 YZ250f.

*Your results may vary* Tongue
My results do vary actually. When you get a new one every year, they can usually make it through without blowing. Like stated, I personally can't afford that, just like so many others. Kind of my point here guy, in case you missed it. How hard you ride might have something to do with that as well. When I was 12, my bikes lasted a long time and when I'm 50, they probably will too. I'm also a professional mechanic by trade, so you can leave that one in your back pocket too. Tongue
Titan1
7/31/2012 6:56pm
7GP wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
I'll look at that as well. Although, the bike will roll when in neutral or when the clutch is in. Is that what you meant? Or...

7GP wrote:
Ahh yeah I meant you couldn't roll it forwards or backwards in gear. Even grabbing the rear wheel and trying to turn it over in 5th...
Ahh yeah I meant you couldn't roll it forwards or backwards in gear. Even grabbing the rear wheel and trying to turn it over in 5th wouldn't budge the piston. His Yamaha would roll forward and back with the clutch in or in neutral.

From your description it doesn't sound like it seized, especially if you didn't see it spitting coolant. More like something came loose and bound up. Hope you get it sorted with the least $$ spent possible.
That sounds like exactly what my bike is doing. I'm going to look into that for sure. Thanks for the suggestion.

I just can't see the bike seizing up, and yes, no coolant...You just got my hopes up. Hopefully they won't be dashed into a thousand dollars, I mean pieces....Smile
machine
7/31/2012 7:12pm
Could be a valve that broke. Any smoke come out? Did you hear a rattling cam chain off idle when you rode it down the street? How many hours since rebuild, cam chain replacement/valve replacement? No hour meter on it?
Titan1
8/1/2012 9:46am
machine wrote:
Could be a valve that broke. Any smoke come out? Did you hear a rattling cam chain off idle when you rode it down the street...
Could be a valve that broke. Any smoke come out? Did you hear a rattling cam chain off idle when you rode it down the street? How many hours since rebuild, cam chain replacement/valve replacement? No hour meter on it?
No smoke. No rattling off idle or when I rode it down the street. The bike "apparently" only has 5 hours on it (looking closer, I'm not sure that's true though), so no rebuild. And no hour meter on it.

It was running perfectly....and it simply died....no funny noises, no overheating, no smoke...it just died and wouldn't turn over after that....
danman
8/1/2012 1:34pm
I recently heard a story of a guy around here that had the flywheel nut come off and lodge itself so tight that they though it locked up. Check that out as well.

Post a reply to: "new" (to me) bike story

The Latest