race fuel in a stock bike.

doofy
Edited Date/Time 2/22/2020 4:54pm
I know im gonna step on some toes here... but seriously why?! I have a buddy thats 130lbs in gear and absolutely wont even start his bike unless its got vp in the tank. Swears up and down that it runs soooo much better. Bine stock 13 rmz450. I wanna slap the kid. Why in the hell would a b rider whos light as a feather need more power out of a 450, and also be willing to pay $12+ for a gallon of gas when we both know it aint doing shit. He swears it cleans up throttle response... well hey buddy its efi.

Arent theses bikes mapped to run pump fuel anyway? Ill be the first to admit i love the smell of it but unless you re map for it or just like to burn $ whats the point? Motocrossers live in the land of excess
|
Berm
Fantasy
136th
8/3/2017 5:12pm Edited Date/Time 8/3/2017 5:12pm
eh...yeah it's dumb to spend $12 for a gallon of gas in a stock bike.

However, you can buy 55 gallon drums of vp113 at close to $5 per gallon where I was and I'll run that all day over pump gas. Has the added benefit of being leaded.
8/3/2017 5:16pm
I run 87 wawa gas in my bike and trust me my 450 aint slowing down. I have a friend that raced the supercross in the main event with 87 wawa gas LaughingLaughingLaughing
doofy
8/3/2017 5:16pm
Berm wrote:
eh...yeah it's dumb to spend $12 for a gallon of gas in a stock bike. However, you can buy 55 gallon drums of vp113 at close...

However, you can buy 55 gallon drums of vp113 at close to $5 per gallon where I was and I'll run that all day over pump gas. Has the added benefit of being leaded.
Damn didnt know that. I suppose if you rode frequently its worth it. I know some people swear pump fuel caused every problem with the performers of their bike but Ive never had any problems with it.

I have however got some bunk sonoco 110 from a local station, they dont sell enough of it to keep their tank refilled with fresh gas so i got some 2 yr old crap
doofy
8/3/2017 5:18pm
I run 87 wawa gas in my bike and trust me my 450 aint slowing down. I have a friend that raced the supercross in the...
I run 87 wawa gas in my bike and trust me my 450 aint slowing down. I have a friend that raced the supercross in the main event with 87 wawa gas LaughingLaughingLaughing
Hell yeah! I cant remember what mag i was reading but they were dumbfounded when they said regal was running pump gas in his 450 outdoors when he was doing his own thing.

The Shop

bvm111
8/3/2017 7:14pm
Not this shit again?!

Seriously run whatever the eff you want, why do you care what other people run in their 8-12 thousand dollar motorcycles?
zehn
8/3/2017 7:48pm
bvm111 wrote:
Not this shit again?!

Seriously run whatever the eff you want, why do you care what other people run in their 8-12 thousand dollar motorcycles?
Found the guy that runs VP in his stocker....Tongue
racerx217
8/3/2017 8:10pm
Pull apart a motor that has only had vp run through it and then pull apart a motor that has only had pump gas run through it, then tell me the difference. I run t4 mixed 50/50 with off road rec fuel. Its a good combo that runs around 5 bucks a gallon once your all said and done.
8/4/2017 6:49am
I run U4.4 in my 17 KX250F and my only mod is a pipe. I can 100% tell a difference when using U4.4. Think about it, regardless of how the fuel gets to the combustion chamber having oxygen molecules in the fuel is going to help it explode faster. On a 450 I don't think anyone NEEDS it but it burns cleaner (supposedly) so why not? I try to use VP on the track and ethanol free pump premium when on a trail

Being a big guy on a 250F I need all the help I can get. The moto specific fuels like T4, U4.4 are designed as a pour in replacement..the bikes don't need a map change to run better. They may run even better if you do get a new map but stock maps have worked on my last three bikes with VP fuel.
mxb2
8/4/2017 7:21am
bvm111 wrote:
Not this shit again?!

X2,. Never understood why people care how others spend their own $$$. Don't like. Race fuel don't use it , simple.
8/4/2017 7:23am
I run 87 wawa gas in my bike and trust me my 450 aint slowing down. I have a friend that raced the supercross in the...
In terms of performance I wouldn't balk at that, but for longevity you might want to go to a Top Tier certified gas. Top Tier brands are usually more expensive, but I know the 76 station by me is usually the same-ish price as WAWA even with the Top Tier designation.

I used to be a big WAWA proponent until I learned about Top Tier. Now I only go to WAWA for gas in emergencies.
bvm111
8/4/2017 8:12am
bvm111 wrote:
Not this shit again?!

zehn wrote:
Nope... just tired of the same effing thread every couple weeks, there is a search function for a reason... use it!
Acidreamer
8/4/2017 9:04am
The reason you run race gas is because pump gas is garbage. Its got dirt in it, its watered down, and its inconsistent.

The side effects of race gas is a high quality fuel that is clean, consistent, and adds power to your bike assuming you run the right fuel. Some fuels lower hp and some that are oxygenated add hp.

With compression ratios 12:1+ you want higher octane fuel anyways to prevent detonation.
c0ncEpT
8/4/2017 9:35am
I run U4.4 in my YZ250F with a stock engine.

100% makes a difference in power output (GYTR tuner).

Plus you don't have to worry about having any fuel issues. The fuel is always pure and doesn't gum up. I let it sit in the bike over winter even and have never had a single problem.
piscokid
8/4/2017 10:31am
I run it in my kids super mini. (lots of work done to it, no bump in compression though) The main reason is the pump gas is junk and inconsistent at best. We run MS-109. Jet the bike for it and ride. Top and bottom ends look amazing, no deposits or any other "foreign" looking spots caused (IMHO) from the chemicals added to pump gas.
8/4/2017 10:49am
racerx217 wrote:
Pull apart a motor that has only had vp run through it and then pull apart a motor that has only had pump gas run through...
Pull apart a motor that has only had vp run through it and then pull apart a motor that has only had pump gas run through it, then tell me the difference. I run t4 mixed 50/50 with off road rec fuel. Its a good combo that runs around 5 bucks a gallon once your all said and done.
If you are replacing the piston as required, not much difference. I know a lot of guys run U4 and it does run crisper, but it is the extra oxygen, so the it leans it out just a hair
Nick_V
3/19/2019 10:50am
I run U4.4 in my 17 KX250F and my only mod is a pipe. I can 100% tell a difference when using U4.4. Think about it...
I run U4.4 in my 17 KX250F and my only mod is a pipe. I can 100% tell a difference when using U4.4. Think about it, regardless of how the fuel gets to the combustion chamber having oxygen molecules in the fuel is going to help it explode faster. On a 450 I don't think anyone NEEDS it but it burns cleaner (supposedly) so why not? I try to use VP on the track and ethanol free pump premium when on a trail

Being a big guy on a 250F I need all the help I can get. The moto specific fuels like T4, U4.4 are designed as a pour in replacement..the bikes don't need a map change to run better. They may run even better if you do get a new map but stock maps have worked on my last three bikes with VP fuel.
A little late to the discussion, but U4.4 is always going to make more power, because it is an oxygenated fuel. My friend runs it. 7.5% oxygen content, which is above the AMA pro limit which is 4%. It is not a direct pour in replacement for carbureted bikes, which require rejetting, but your EFI bike can compensate. Oxygen in fuel=more fuel burn=more power
TeamGreen
3/19/2019 11:39am Edited Date/Time 3/19/2019 11:43am
I’m riding a motorcycle that has a single-cylinder four-stroke motocross RACING engine &...
It retails for $10K.
Makes 63hp at 11,500 RPM (on GOOD fuel).
It has expensive titanium valves.
It’s got an expensive Hi-Compression CP piston.
It’s got a VERY expensive crank and rod.

I like holeshots.
I like winning.

I run race gas. VP Racing Fuel...to be specific.
Jerkolantern
3/19/2019 12:48pm
TeamGreen wrote:
I’m riding a motorcycle that has a single-cylinder four-stroke motocross RACING engine &... It retails for $10K. Makes 63hp at 11,500 RPM (on GOOD fuel). It...
I’m riding a motorcycle that has a single-cylinder four-stroke motocross RACING engine &...
It retails for $10K.
Makes 63hp at 11,500 RPM (on GOOD fuel).
It has expensive titanium valves.
It’s got an expensive Hi-Compression CP piston.
It’s got a VERY expensive crank and rod.

I like holeshots.
I like winning.

I run race gas. VP Racing Fuel...to be specific.
I'd smoke ya on a old beater running pump gasTongue
3/19/2019 2:11pm
I run shell super that's probably full of ethanol, is my bike going to grenade?

There's a 76 across town that sells clean clear gas but it's a pain in the ass to get over there
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
3/19/2019 2:16pm
doofy wrote:
I know im gonna step on some toes here... but seriously why?! I have a buddy thats 130lbs in gear and absolutely wont even start his...
I know im gonna step on some toes here... but seriously why?! I have a buddy thats 130lbs in gear and absolutely wont even start his bike unless its got vp in the tank. Swears up and down that it runs soooo much better. Bine stock 13 rmz450. I wanna slap the kid. Why in the hell would a b rider whos light as a feather need more power out of a 450, and also be willing to pay $12+ for a gallon of gas when we both know it aint doing shit. He swears it cleans up throttle response... well hey buddy its efi.

Arent theses bikes mapped to run pump fuel anyway? Ill be the first to admit i love the smell of it but unless you re map for it or just like to burn $ whats the point? Motocrossers live in the land of excess
If he can afford it then why not ?
mxb2
3/19/2019 2:26pm
doofy wrote:
I know im gonna step on some toes here... but seriously why?! I have a buddy thats 130lbs in gear and absolutely wont even start his...

lostboy819 wrote:
If he can afford it then why not ?
X2 or other mxers worried about other peoples money.
dmm698
3/19/2019 6:11pm
I run U4.4 in my 17 KX250F and my only mod is a pipe. I can 100% tell a difference when using U4.4. Think about it...

How is u4.4 a pour in replacement with no mapping required at 7+% oxygen content by weight. Stoic is like 13.1 on that fuel. Considerably lower than pump, you’re lean on u4.4 with stock mapping.
dmm698
3/19/2019 6:14pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2019 6:19pm

Nick_V wrote:
A little late to the discussion, but U4.4 is always going to make more power, because it is an oxygenated fuel. My friend runs it. 7.5%...
A little late to the discussion, but U4.4 is always going to make more power, because it is an oxygenated fuel. My friend runs it. 7.5% oxygen content, which is above the AMA pro limit which is 4%. It is not a direct pour in replacement for carbureted bikes, which require rejetting, but your EFI bike can compensate. Oxygen in fuel=more fuel burn=more power
Curious to what ECU you’re running that enables closed loop fueling, because the stock EFI bike as no AFR feedback.
3/19/2019 6:44pm
I run VP T-4 mixed 50/50 with pump gas. Both the CRF450R I have now, and my previous KX450 detonate on hot days with 93 octane pump gas. I don’t notice any performance advantage, but I don’t need my 450 to be any faster than it is. Both bikes were stock engines with aftermarket exhaust.
barnett468
3/19/2019 7:04pm
Berm wrote:
eh...yeah it's dumb to spend $12 for a gallon of gas in a stock bike. However, you can buy 55 gallon drums of vp113 at close...

"Has the added benefit of being leaded."

That is NOT a benefit.
captmoto
3/19/2019 7:06pm
zehn wrote:
I run VP T4 in my stock FC450. If you had to run shitty California gas you would consider it too.
3/19/2019 7:10pm
Im no petrochemist but do you get any more power out of different octane fuels without supporting modification.
Isn't the purpose of running higher octane fuel to allow for higher compression?
TeamGreen
3/19/2019 7:25pm
Im no petrochemist but do you get any more power out of different octane fuels without supporting modification. Isn't the purpose of running higher octane fuel...
Im no petrochemist but do you get any more power out of different octane fuels without supporting modification.
Isn't the purpose of running higher octane fuel to allow for higher compression?
Or more aggressive timing (Both ignition and/or cam timing).

Post a reply to: race fuel in a stock bike.

The Latest