setups for tall riders?

Edited Date/Time 4/9/2016 9:57pm
hey guys, just picked up a freshie 2016 rmz450 and wanted to know the best set up for tall riders, such as myself. i am 6'5 and wondered what handlebars are the best for taller riders and maybe get some other advice on how to set up my bike to suite my height
|
KMC440
4/4/2016 10:45pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2016 10:53pm
My personal preferences (which no one will agree on) tall Windham bars, med density tall seat with about a half inch shaved off the top, or not, Guts seat cover and I wish I had a little more forward mounts on the bars. Never had the lowered pegs though heard mixed reviews. Hope this helps.

..... and STFU Noob .... ; )
4/4/2016 10:53pm
KMC440 wrote:
My personal preferences (which no one will agree on) tall Windham bars, med density tall seat with about a half inch shaved off the top, or...
My personal preferences (which no one will agree on) tall Windham bars, med density tall seat with about a half inch shaved off the top, or not, Guts seat cover and I wish I had a little more forward mounts on the bars. Never had the lowered pegs though heard mixed reviews. Hope this helps.

right on thanks, ill be purchasing some new bars soon
4/4/2016 11:21pm
I'm 6'2 with long arms and have tried 4 different sets of bars and own a KX450f that comes stock with adjustable pegs and 4 position bar mounts. I've tried tall bars, traditional pullback bars, mounting the bars in all 4 positions, etc. Here is my opinion:

Long story short, my preference is to keep the bars in the stock location (that is, 2nd from rearmost / bars mounted basically right on top of the steering stem), a bar bend that has little pullback (I run Factory Suzuki Pro Tapers), and the bars angled even with fork tubes.

When you run a taller bar, it forces you to sit more upright, which takes weight off the front tire and you'll lose front end traction.

You'll need a straighter bar for longer arms (a bar with the least pullback).

Dont run the bars forward in the triple clamps. The steering input becomes less precise and i've found that the front end had more of a tendency to swap.

Learn to ride the bike how it is and build up the muscles required to run it that way.

My 2 cents.
4/4/2016 11:23pm
I'm 6'2 with long arms and have tried 4 different sets of bars and own a KX450f that comes stock with adjustable pegs and 4 position...
I'm 6'2 with long arms and have tried 4 different sets of bars and own a KX450f that comes stock with adjustable pegs and 4 position bar mounts. I've tried tall bars, traditional pullback bars, mounting the bars in all 4 positions, etc. Here is my opinion:

Long story short, my preference is to keep the bars in the stock location (that is, 2nd from rearmost / bars mounted basically right on top of the steering stem), a bar bend that has little pullback (I run Factory Suzuki Pro Tapers), and the bars angled even with fork tubes.

When you run a taller bar, it forces you to sit more upright, which takes weight off the front tire and you'll lose front end traction.

Dont run the bars forward in the triple clamps. The steering input becomes less precise and i've found that the front end had more of a tendency to swap.

Learn to ride the bike how it is and build up the muscles required to run it that way.

My 2 cents.
i totally get you man, thanks for the advice!

The Shop

Thelen20
4/5/2016 12:14am
I'm 6'2 with long arms and have tried 4 different sets of bars and own a KX450f that comes stock with adjustable pegs and 4 position...

My 2 cents.
I tend to agree with you. I am trying to tune out some headshake issues and, as crazy as it may sound, I think it might be bar position related. KTM 250sx and the bars are in the forward most position now. Even though I am a lanky 6'1" I think I am going to bring them back a notch and see if that helps.
4/5/2016 2:02am
Sorry to hijack this thread but while we are on a similar topic...

I have a 2012 KTM 150 occurring to the Rosenthal chart they are model : 672-01, I'm 6ft and I'd like an extra half an inch on them without using raisers, I like the sweep on them.

Doesn't anyone know what bars will give me a bit of extra height? Thanks.
4/5/2016 5:06am
Do you guys find any difference in feel between standard 7/8 bars vs the fat bars?

Crush
4/5/2016 5:37am
Do you guys find any difference in feel between standard 7/8 bars vs the fat bars?

I'm 95% sure RV was saying on Pulp a little while back that he doesn't believe Renthal's fatbars and twinwalls are the same bend... Renthal says it is, he says not.
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
4/5/2016 7:52am

My 2 cents.
100% true! If you go forward of the steering stem.....it may feel good on the stand but, on the track waaaayyyy worse. Keep everything in line as much as you can. At 6'3 I have always found the right bike makes the most difference.
Spartacus
4/5/2016 8:05am Edited Date/Time 4/5/2016 8:05am
And I find moving the bars higher and more forward is well worth any disadvantage in the added room and comfort it gives me. But then again, I'm actually very tall.
Madmax31
Fantasy
91st
4/5/2016 8:13am
I'm 6'3" and run my bars in the forward position, use Mika CR High bend with a 10 mm riser added, and Fastway pegs that I believe are 15mm lower than stock.

Seems to work pretty good for me.
4/5/2016 8:41am
I'm 6'4''. I'm on the minority for tall people, but I always run short bars with minimum sweep. In my experience, minimum sweep is more important then height. The most important thing for tall riders is body position. Bent knees, ass back, head down and foreward, back closer to parallel with the ground then upright, staying low on the bike. It's not very comfortable but it's how you go fast
yzjs7
4/5/2016 9:15am
I'm 6'4''. I'm on the minority for tall people, but I always run short bars with minimum sweep. In my experience, minimum sweep is more important...
I'm 6'4''. I'm on the minority for tall people, but I always run short bars with minimum sweep. In my experience, minimum sweep is more important then height. The most important thing for tall riders is body position. Bent knees, ass back, head down and foreward, back closer to parallel with the ground then upright, staying low on the bike. It's not very comfortable but it's how you go fast
Look at Tomac he rides this way and he's tall.
nytsmaC
4/5/2016 9:22am
I'm 6'6 and struggled with how compact the RMZ felt despite trying different clamps, bars and talk seat. I ended up switching brands.

That being said, this was in 08/09 and footpeg options were very limited at the time. Paat experience has shown me that lower pegs can make a huge difference, seems to work better on some bikes than others though. I'd start there.

I agree with the others about a bar with minimal sweep so that you are not tempted to roll them forward. I find if they aren't straight in line with the forks it screws up cornering and transmits more shock to the wrists for whatever reason.
mb
4/5/2016 10:21am
RC 971 +- 0 and just get used to it. Lower pegs were a very modest improvement for me.
Crush
4/5/2016 2:32pm
I'm 6'4''. I'm on the minority for tall people, but I always run short bars with minimum sweep. In my experience, minimum sweep is more important...
yzjs7 wrote:
Ya, all 5'9" of him.
Spartacus
4/5/2016 2:54pm
yzjs7 wrote:
Crush wrote:
Ya, all 5'9" of him.
I was 5' 9" when I was about 9 years old.........
BAMX
4/5/2016 3:15pm
6-2 and I agree with this but I do run Whindham bend bars. I went to a tall foam but quickly went back. I didn't like the taller CG for cornering.
Tazao
4/6/2016 11:52am
This is one of my favorite topics. I'm 6'3" and have struggled to get comfortable. I have tried everything from a tall seat, lowered footpegs, raised bars and different bar bends. At first the higher seat and taller bars gave me more comfort, but the more I rode the more I disliked the higher center of gravity. I really like a slightly lower footpeg and a straighter bar bend.

I have discussed this topic with a number of local pros and riders up through the ranks and a couple of months ago I had the opportunity to discuss the topic with Travis Pastrana. He felt that the risk of rolling or pushing the bars forward created a thin margain for error; therefore he went away from it. He likes a little lower peg but warns against going too low that you drag your pegs in ruts. Most of the faster guys, that I have talked to, echo what has already been said here, "learn to ride the bike the way it is" with a couple small exceptions.

Finally, I think controls are the exception to the statement above. I REALLY like an extended shifter and break pedal (check out the reviews under the product tab) and have heard of guys with larger hands going with larger diameter grips. I struggled catching my feet on stuff while trying to shift up and often missed shifts. By extending the shifter, moving it up a notch and lowering my pegs I have noticed a big difference.

That is my 2 cents.
4/6/2016 12:58pm
Tazao wrote:
This is one of my favorite topics. I'm 6'3" and have struggled to get comfortable. I have tried everything from a tall seat, lowered footpegs, raised...
This is one of my favorite topics. I'm 6'3" and have struggled to get comfortable. I have tried everything from a tall seat, lowered footpegs, raised bars and different bar bends. At first the higher seat and taller bars gave me more comfort, but the more I rode the more I disliked the higher center of gravity. I really like a slightly lower footpeg and a straighter bar bend.

I have discussed this topic with a number of local pros and riders up through the ranks and a couple of months ago I had the opportunity to discuss the topic with Travis Pastrana. He felt that the risk of rolling or pushing the bars forward created a thin margain for error; therefore he went away from it. He likes a little lower peg but warns against going too low that you drag your pegs in ruts. Most of the faster guys, that I have talked to, echo what has already been said here, "learn to ride the bike the way it is" with a couple small exceptions.

Finally, I think controls are the exception to the statement above. I REALLY like an extended shifter and break pedal (check out the reviews under the product tab) and have heard of guys with larger hands going with larger diameter grips. I struggled catching my feet on stuff while trying to shift up and often missed shifts. By extending the shifter, moving it up a notch and lowering my pegs I have noticed a big difference.

That is my 2 cents.
Thanks for the advice!
4/6/2016 8:27pm
KMC440 wrote:
My personal preferences (which no one will agree on) tall Windham bars, med density tall seat with about a half inch shaved off the top, or...

My 2013 RMZ is setup almost exactly the same, but I have the Guts seat (tall) and a seat bump. 6'4
wsc96
Fantasy
474th
4/7/2016 5:11pm
Tazao wrote:
This is one of my favorite topics. I'm 6'3" and have struggled to get comfortable. I have tried everything from a tall seat, lowered footpegs, raised...

That is my 2 cents.
How big is your foot and how much did you extend the shifter and brake pedal?
KMC440
4/7/2016 5:44pm
One last comment by me on this. My knees are not nearly as good as they used to be and the tall seat really helps my legs get my ass up. Though I'm in my early 50's I've ridden with the same setup for the last 15yrs and it works for me. Find something that works for you and be happy with it. Wink

Roost on moto brethren!
Tazao
4/7/2016 9:13pm
Tazao wrote:

That is my 2 cents.
wsc96 wrote:
How big is your foot and how much did you extend the shifter and brake pedal?
I wear a size 12 boot (I wear an 11 1/2 shoe normally) and followed guidelines on Hammerheads website as a starting point.
FIREfish148
4/8/2016 1:18am
I just run RC high renthal fat bars and a sdg tall seat. Whole seat for 89 bucks.
aedwards07
4/8/2016 4:38am
I am 6ft 2 and used to run the 997 kdub bend twinwalls and stock everything else. One day I bent them and all I had was a pair of 999(very low and straight bars). I put them on and instantly felt much better. I think the straight bars really open things up for talker riders. I have since out fastway pegs in the low position( I wish I knew of a low standard style peg as grip with fastways isn't there). I run the hammerhead shifter and brake pedal as well that are extended which make a huge difference as well(sz 14 boots here).
reded
4/8/2016 5:01am Edited Date/Time 4/8/2016 5:04am
Thelen20 wrote:
I tend to agree with you. I am trying to tune out some headshake issues and, as crazy as it may sound, I think it might...
I tend to agree with you. I am trying to tune out some headshake issues and, as crazy as it may sound, I think it might be bar position related. KTM 250sx and the bars are in the forward most position now. Even though I am a lanky 6'1" I think I am going to bring them back a notch and see if that helps.
My 250SX has a case of the shakes also. I'm 6'1" and was running the stock bar with the mounts turned forward in the rear holes but had rotated the bar forward to gain a little height. I recently switched to RC High bend with the mounts in same location but now have the bar running in line with the fork. I'm going out tomorrow to give it a try and will report back.

Post a reply to: setups for tall riders?

The Latest