the conversation: Mitch Payton

oldblood
11/26/2018 4:48pm Edited Date/Time 11/29/2018 1:59pm
One of the best articles I've read. Thanks Eric, Mitch, and racerx.
To check it out go to www.racerxonline.com
|
mikec265
11/26/2018 5:06pm
Definitely was a good one. Especially the Des Nations part.
11/26/2018 5:34pm
very interesting point he makes about the cost of amatuer racing being too high and potentially missing out on some great talent.
H4L
11/26/2018 6:35pm
Much respect for Mitch.. The guy knows his stuff. I've read & seen some interviews where he talks about the cost involved to race in the modern era of 4t's. Thnxz for posting..
TymeMoto
11/26/2018 8:05pm
Great read, professional motocross/supercross has been very lucky to have a team owner like Mitch for all these years.

Top notch ambassador of our sport. So many great riders have gotten their start on Mitch’s team.

The Shop

TRAVO 67
11/26/2018 8:08pm
very interesting point he makes about the cost of amatuer racing being too high and potentially missing out on some great talent.
I'm sure he isn't backing off his support though like he is basically asking other teams to do. Talking about missed opportunities with riders I would say kawi is top of the list in that category. Joey Crown needs a shot on that bike and build him up. Instead of trying to teach a old dog new tricks (davalos)
TXDirt
11/26/2018 8:16pm
One of the best articles you have ever read? You need to read more!!

Lacked a lot of depth. Seemed about a 10 minute conversation. That’s how long it took me to read it.

Mitch is an icon of the sport. Would love to hear more from him.
oldblood
11/26/2018 9:14pm
TXDirt wrote:
One of the best articles you have ever read? You need to read more!! Lacked a lot of depth. Seemed about a 10 minute conversation. That’s...

Lacked a lot of depth. Seemed about a 10 minute conversation. That’s how long it took me to read it.

Go away.
Reggsie
11/27/2018 12:11am
Loved the bit when the interviewer asked about Motocross of Nations and Mitch subtly corrected him with "des nations?". Don't know if that was his intention but I liked it Laughing
11/27/2018 1:35am
TXDirt wrote:
One of the best articles you have ever read? You need to read more!! Lacked a lot of depth. Seemed about a 10 minute conversation. That’s...

He has done some great interviews and stories on the pulpmx podcasts, great listen!
11/27/2018 2:22am
TRAVO 67 wrote:
I'm sure he isn't backing off his support though like he is basically asking other teams to do. Talking about missed opportunities with riders I would...
I'm sure he isn't backing off his support though like he is basically asking other teams to do. Talking about missed opportunities with riders I would say kawi is top of the list in that category. Joey Crown needs a shot on that bike and build him up. Instead of trying to teach a old dog new tricks (davalos)
Well no shit he isnt backing off, unless everyone does it, it wont work. If mitch or anyone were to suddenly back off support they would simply lose sponsors and riders as the results and pro rider quality would drop.

Unfortuantly like all motorsports talent only gets you so far and $$$ take you the rest.
jevyguy
11/27/2018 5:56am Edited Date/Time 11/27/2018 5:57am
What’s the secret? Everytime I try to go to RacerX using an iphone I get nothing.

Bramlett321
11/27/2018 6:41am
did the interview end abruptly to you guys? I was expecting it to continue lol.
Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
11/27/2018 7:03am Edited Date/Time 11/27/2018 10:13am
TRAVO 67 wrote:
I'm sure he isn't backing off his support though like he is basically asking other teams to do. Talking about missed opportunities with riders I would...
Well no shit he isnt backing off, unless everyone does it, it wont work. If mitch or anyone were to suddenly back off support they would...
Well no shit he isnt backing off, unless everyone does it, it wont work. If mitch or anyone were to suddenly back off support they would simply lose sponsors and riders as the results and pro rider quality would drop.

Unfortuantly like all motorsports talent only gets you so far and $$$ take you the rest.
I Agree with you, of course he's not , if he just starts spending less on his bikes , he will get beat by those that are spending more , BUT it seems like if anyone had the power
To get everyone together to discuss it and possibly make some changes, he would be high on the list of people that could, so does he just not think he has that much power?
Or is he and other people in the industry that would have pull , just too Busy to try ?
Ive Heard him say similar things in other interviews and ive heard others say things somewhere along those lines,
But it seems like everyone in the sport of Moto is waiting
For someone else to do it , Even its its something like that,
That 90% of people that hear it think yeah that makes so much sence why dont they all get together and do something.
mauidex
11/27/2018 7:29am
It would pretty simple to make 250 a “spec” class with very controlled mods that could even be provided. WhistlingWhistling
TSCHAM101
11/27/2018 8:31am
mauidex wrote:
It would pretty simple to make 250 a “spec” class with very controlled mods that could even be provided. WhistlingWhistling
i would do what i could to support a class like that. I started a brand that im working on to help support the kids who dont get the Team Green/Orange Brigade/RMarmy etc deals. Its unfortunate when you go to the track and see a kid ripping on a old beat up bike slightly slower than the kids on fully supported bikes.. Because you know its as much as the parents can afford to keep the kid in the sport.. I have talked to several 85/super mini parents that have stopped racing moto because they cant afford to keep up(spending wise) with Carson Mumford, Ryder D, joe shimoda, deegans, etc and they go to desert stuff because they can get much more help from contingency stuff..

I started a brand called @raddadapparel on Instagram and facebook, once the company becomes profitable, i am planning to use a majority of the profits to help kids stay in teh sport. Whether it be, track entry gift cards, parts for motors, suspension tuning/rebuilds, tires etc.. It is a new brand, i currently have 1 shirt design and working on the 2nd. The shirt i have now is $15.

Lets help the kids. Keep the sport growing and competitive.
FuzzyLogic
11/27/2018 9:49am Edited Date/Time 11/27/2018 9:50am
I'd like to see a guy like Mitch give a kid from a northern part of the country a chance. One where the kid races and rides 6-8 months out of the year but is forced (by weather) to takes 4-5 months off as he is growing up. I think these kids that are racing year round, and are pounding laps all week get burned out at a young age and taking time off the bike would ultimately help them.
11/27/2018 1:58pm
Tarz483 wrote:
I Agree with you, of course he's not , if he just starts spending less on his bikes , he will get beat by those that...
I Agree with you, of course he's not , if he just starts spending less on his bikes , he will get beat by those that are spending more , BUT it seems like if anyone had the power
To get everyone together to discuss it and possibly make some changes, he would be high on the list of people that could, so does he just not think he has that much power?
Or is he and other people in the industry that would have pull , just too Busy to try ?
Ive Heard him say similar things in other interviews and ive heard others say things somewhere along those lines,
But it seems like everyone in the sport of Moto is waiting
For someone else to do it , Even its its something like that,
That 90% of people that hear it think yeah that makes so much sence why dont they all get together and do something.
Because some shithead will keep spending boat loads on engines. It would be very hard to police and someone will cheat the system.
mauidex
11/27/2018 2:17pm
Because some shithead will keep spending boat loads on engines. It would be very hard to police and someone will cheat the system.
It would be relatively easy to police and very apparent between a stock/spec motor and modified one. Claiming rule of 100k and dq and ban for 3 next races. Money talks and bullshit walks. If “they” want it changed it could be
11/27/2018 2:41pm
mauidex wrote:
It would be relatively easy to police and very apparent between a stock/spec motor and modified one. Claiming rule of 100k and dq and ban for...
It would be relatively easy to police and very apparent between a stock/spec motor and modified one. Claiming rule of 100k and dq and ban for 3 next races. Money talks and bullshit walks. If “they” want it changed it could be
The problem is by making it stock all off the aftermarket companies suffer.

Unless you make all engines a spec engine it wouldnt work as some brands are producing much higher hp stock than others.
mauidex
11/27/2018 3:02pm Edited Date/Time 11/27/2018 3:10pm
Every excuse in the book can be brought up. You wanna cut the expense of 250 sx class or you don’t. And let the rider shine or not

Fuk the mfg. if their bike sucks and not competitive fix it

Most hip ups are bought by every Johnny go fast dad in the amateur ranks. Not
Much money
To
Be made in the pro classes when most there need it no charge or at a deal

Stonedmason
11/27/2018 5:46pm
I think everyone has it wrong. We need to bring back the 125 class. Just like the old days we need three classes. 125 , 250 , 450.
Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
11/27/2018 5:52pm
Do they have stock and mod classes now ?

11/27/2018 7:45pm
The amateur issue is a big one.
I've lost a few amateur national champions - or podium level riders to the fact this sport costs so much and pays so little once you "make it"

One of my guys - zane merrett, just recently podiumed mini 0's with some holeshots and a moto win, fastest lap in a moto as well in the pro/a classes
The cost of being competitive this year is mind blowing - and we aren't even doing it close to how we need to - his "good" race motor threw a rod at 42 hours (waaaay too many hours for usage and build - but money doesn't grow on trees) so he raced on his "not as good" race bike which still has a factory transmission, big bucks in the head and GET ECU, tons of R&D, kit suspension, etc.

Keeping the kid riding all year is about a 6 bike ordeal at minimum - and when he went pro his dad realized he couldn't keep riding practice on a stocker - which has escalated prices big time.

If you dont do it - you will be "up there" but never "there" which is what it takes to nab a factory spot.
Hopefully his showing will put him in discussion for a ride - which sucks for me! But it's what has to happen within the year or he too will likely quit or be "just on the outside" because competing at the real pro level vs a factory team wold cost you around 250k-300k a year to do it to their level for one rider if paying for all parts, mechanic, travel, suspension testing time, engine testing time, bikes, entries, fuel etc.
Once a team can have 4-5 guys a lot of the cost goes down per guy... but for just one you still need huge effort -

Doing 6 well done bikes - suspension, and maintenance plus training and riding every week, plus race schedule - they are well past 100k a year "on a budget" for am stuff.

And the "deals" all these people say they get - and "rides" they get - are mostly total BS. If the kid isn't under the factory tent - they dont usually get a damn thing but a discount on bikes from a dealer who is not getting help from the OEM - and just doing it out of goodness from their heart.
If you were an OEM - why give it away - they are going racing either way - and ARE your money making customers...

The saddest thing is there IS a claim rule in amateurs - but no one dares to do it. If you claimed a PC or geico pro bike - and were the first privateer so to speak behind those guys - you'd never get a ride from any of them...

I'd love to claim the geico 150r - be like 10k for that thing! Hang it up in the shop
But good luck showing your face in the industry after that.
Paul333
11/28/2018 3:04pm
Outstanding article. Mitch obviously is an icon in this industry so a well done interview is always going to be a hit.
oldblood
11/28/2018 4:54pm
Eric did an outstanding job. Do you think anyone could just show up at PC, and get that from Mitch?
Well done Eric. Thanks Mitch.
oldblood
11/28/2018 5:09pm
So, as a struggling mini dad, I'm going to put in my two cents.
I believe that, a 125 class is the answer. I've already told my son that there's no way I could afford a modded 250f. So if he were to 'make it ', I couldn't afford it.
A 125 class however, I could afford.
Don't ban mods, that's the fun of it all
Just have a 125 class for working class dad's like me I'll port it if I have to.
hamncheeze
11/28/2018 10:49pm
The whole amateur contract thing is like a nuclear arms race. Factory Connection started it, it was matched by Star, TLD went younger and so on. I mean, how old is Hunter Yoder again? He has Factory Connection support! I'm not connected to any of this in any way but it seems to me that currently Team Green/PC is just trying to stay somewhere in the middle, developing kids without going crazy with the money and contracts. But maybe I'm missing something. It is certainly not like it was back in the late 90s and early 00s where all the best ended up on Team Green by the time they were leaving Supermini.
JB479
11/29/2018 1:11am
Factory connection are still running production suspension not A-kit. But the star bikes and euro’s were running cone valve and Akit. Id like to know the differences are between each brand
11/29/2018 4:48am
The 125 class is the answer - but even still hard to compete vs a team effort - just in keeping solid practice equipment and training time

Usually the signed kid’s parents earn a salary to be a mechanic per say - which covers costs to train full time and hire a practice mechanic
Paul333
11/29/2018 5:35am
How about just making the “Stock” class actually stock again? Maybe suspenion set-up & pipe only, plus personal preference items like bars, grips, seat cover, etc. No more $8K engines, $1200 clutches, $8K A-Kit suspenion, $4K Ti bolt kits, etc.

This way kids without money or one of the amateur factory rides can still compete & get noticed. Leave the “Modified” class for $20K-$30K bikes. Obviously if a kid riding out of his dads pickup can compete in the Stock class but gets blown away in modified based on his bikes disadvantage it would be easy to spot.

I have never been to Loretta Lynn’s or any of the big amateur nationals but it’s my understanding the “Stock” class ain’t “Stock” anymore.

Post a reply to: the conversation: Mitch Payton

The Latest