why wouldn't you buy a 2016 ktm 350 ?

Edited Date/Time 11/23/2018 10:12am
And why should i buy it? I have found an low hour ktm 350 2016, and im really interested to finaly try a 350 but had the 2016 much problems? its an eu bike so its has the air forks wich is a plus but the first years of the aer 48 forks there where some problems with them if i remember? but i could send them in and but 19 seals in it. how was the engine is it the same as the 18 relieble wise ? its an 16 so it doesent have the stronger frame but whatever some break some does not.
|
11/21/2018 12:33pm Edited Date/Time 11/21/2018 12:33pm
The suspension. But since it’s an eu with aer48s. Go for it.
STLSharky
11/21/2018 12:34pm
I have a 17. 27 hrs. Make offer
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
11/21/2018 2:12pm
How much is the 16 asking?

The only reason to not buy would be to buy a 19.

The only update besides suspension from 16 to 18 is the engine mounts and you can buy them cheap.
Shawn142
11/21/2018 2:36pm
I brought a '16 new. Haven't had an ounce of trouble with it and as a vet expert I ride it pretty hard. As a guy who has always overreved 450s the bike suits me perfectly.

The Shop

Tonynz
11/21/2018 2:47pm
I sold my 16 350 back in August to get a 19. They are a great bike had 95 hours on it. My son still has his 16 .
cody41
11/21/2018 3:37pm
Nope. I had a 16 450sxf and it was the biggest P.O.S. I have ever rode.
xr70
11/21/2018 3:43pm
I don't think that the 16 has the air fork yet.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
11/21/2018 3:45pm
xr70 wrote:
Europe did
xr70
11/21/2018 3:49pm
xr70 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Europe did
Yea u are right, I forgot.
Monk
11/21/2018 4:17pm
I've gotten some flack over my experience with my 350. I have a 16 350xcf, and I bought it as a new leftover in 2017. In 2yrs I have put a total of 450+hrs on my 350. In 2017 I raced both a Provincial Series and Western Canada series and walked away with 2 championships in Vet A. For 2018 I was moved to Pro/AA where I trained but only competed in 2 races. I won one and got 2nd on the other (only reason I mention this is hopefully validate that I do ride at a fairly competitive level). I do not use the 4cs forks, I run Dal Soggio Spheres and also have a set of AER forks. Since day 1 I have never touched the motor. I have never checked the valves, original timing change, original piston, etc... It is 100% stock since the day it's rolled off the showroom floor. The only mod I did make was change the stock stator for a HO stator and a larger battery. The bike has never let me down. I run Rotella 15/40 and standard pump 92 pump gas. The bike has never ever let me down, left me stranded or led to a DNF... To date it's been one of the most reliable and solid machines I've ever owned.

As of late I bought a new 2019 Husky FX350, with recently spending some time one (friend owns one also). I was actually disappointed, disappointed that this 19 FX350 wasn't mind blowing better then my 16, especially considering the hours. Even at 450hrs my 16 felt very competitive and powerful against the 19...The only thing I feel I missed on my 16 is the TC which IMO might be a game changer, and even possibly better than a Rekluse.

I highly highly recommend the 350s, and with AER on the 16 you mention it might be well worth you money to buy it...

vetmxr
11/21/2018 4:25pm
cody41 wrote:
you must ride some really nice bikes to make that statement........So your saying that there is absolutely NO way you could even finish a race on one let alone win the race?

What was it about that bike that made it so terrible for you.........I'll give you the 4cs forks.
cody41
11/21/2018 6:22pm
cody41 wrote:
vetmxr wrote:
you must ride some really nice bikes to make that statement........So your saying that there is absolutely NO way you could even finish a race on...
you must ride some really nice bikes to make that statement........So your saying that there is absolutely NO way you could even finish a race on one let alone win the race?

What was it about that bike that made it so terrible for you.........I'll give you the 4cs forks.
I paid a premium price to get a bike with so much hype around it, only to realize that it was built like crap. Yeah it has a nice clutch, cool hubs, low weight, and has a way nicer fit and finish compared to Japanese brands, but the bike is junk from a durability standpoint. The extremely low weight comes at a cost of weak parts. There was always something, fuel line, multiple electrical issues which resulted in the bike shutting off on jump faces, a font wheel exploded, and the fork and shock were absolute garbage. Ktm took care of the several recalls, but out of 6 months the bike was probably sitting at the shop waiting to get fixed for 3 months. I take really good care of my bikes, and it felt like I ghost rid the bike off a mountain after 30 hours. The bike went to crap 3x faster than any other brand I’ve had. The previous ktm’s, 13/14, were a lot better in terms of durability, which I had two 250 two strokes. I have rode multiple 17 and 18 450sxfs and a 17 350sxf and they feel like garbage and would not recommend them to anyone unless you have money to blow, can trade them in after 40 hours, and can swing the cone valve forks and trax shock because the stock suspension is horrible. I race A class, have great technique, and it’s easy to tell which bikes hold their own over time. If you ride C class then it does not not really matter because any of the bikes will last a long time, which is nice, but I can gaurentee a ktm will go to crap quicker than the other brands regardless of rider skill, and my experience with the 16 450sxf was horrible in every aspect.
Monk
11/21/2018 7:05pm
cody41 wrote:
vetmxr wrote:
you must ride some really nice bikes to make that statement........So your saying that there is absolutely NO way you could even finish a race on...

cody41 wrote:
I paid a premium price to get a bike with so much hype around it, only to realize that it was built like crap. Yeah it...
I paid a premium price to get a bike with so much hype around it, only to realize that it was built like crap. Yeah it has a nice clutch, cool hubs, low weight, and has a way nicer fit and finish compared to Japanese brands, but the bike is junk from a durability standpoint. The extremely low weight comes at a cost of weak parts. There was always something, fuel line, multiple electrical issues which resulted in the bike shutting off on jump faces, a font wheel exploded, and the fork and shock were absolute garbage. Ktm took care of the several recalls, but out of 6 months the bike was probably sitting at the shop waiting to get fixed for 3 months. I take really good care of my bikes, and it felt like I ghost rid the bike off a mountain after 30 hours. The bike went to crap 3x faster than any other brand I’ve had. The previous ktm’s, 13/14, were a lot better in terms of durability, which I had two 250 two strokes. I have rode multiple 17 and 18 450sxfs and a 17 350sxf and they feel like garbage and would not recommend them to anyone unless you have money to blow, can trade them in after 40 hours, and can swing the cone valve forks and trax shock because the stock suspension is horrible. I race A class, have great technique, and it’s easy to tell which bikes hold their own over time. If you ride C class then it does not not really matter because any of the bikes will last a long time, which is nice, but I can gaurentee a ktm will go to crap quicker than the other brands regardless of rider skill, and my experience with the 16 450sxf was horrible in every aspect.
Ah, no worries. I've see all too often when KTM guys get offended when someone doesn't share that same positive and uplifting experience they might have. It would be impossible to produce 100,000+ motorcycles and not have a few that might be a lemon. My experiences have been the polar opposite.

What bike are you riding now?
kb228
11/21/2018 7:11pm
Heres why i wouldnt buy one

Monk
11/21/2018 7:15pm
kb228 wrote:
Heres why i wouldnt buy one [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/21/304221/s1200_29B42129_BC16_4FA7_AF4D_4487E6CF6E09.jpg[/img]

Unfortunately, you could pick any brand and find multiple photos of broken or cracked frames...
kb228
11/21/2018 7:47pm
kb228 wrote:
Heres why i wouldnt buy one [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/21/304221/s1200_29B42129_BC16_4FA7_AF4D_4487E6CF6E09.jpg[/img]

Monk wrote:
Unfortunately, you could pick any brand and find multiple photos of broken or cracked frames...
It was a joke... but if you want to be serious, ktms have a worse issue with frames than other brands
DTR830
Fantasy
1105th
11/21/2018 7:51pm
kb228 wrote:

Monk wrote:
kb228 wrote:
It was a joke... but if you want to be serious, ktms have a worse issue with frames than other brands
They do have more bikes sold then anyone out there
tk2stroke
11/21/2018 10:10pm
cody41 wrote:
vetmxr wrote:

cody41 wrote:
I paid a premium price to get a bike with so much hype around it, only to realize that it was built like crap. Yeah it...
"but I can gaurentee a ktm will go to crap quicker than the other brands regardless of rider skill,"

You certainly have no basis to "Guarantee" the accuracy of that statement. You may have had one poor experience and you should simply stick to that. It's simply not a credible and it's just a pile of word $hit.
11/22/2018 12:04am
cody41 wrote:
if I did not ride any brand that I had problems with. Then I better quit. Every brand has its problems.
Barrett57
11/22/2018 12:12am
Didn't like mine, just didn't suit. I'm sure if your riding style fits then it's a great bike.
cody41
11/22/2018 4:34am
vetmxr wrote:

cody41 wrote:
tk2stroke wrote:
"but I can gaurentee a ktm will go to crap quicker than the other brands regardless of rider skill," You certainly have no basis to "Guarantee"...
"but I can gaurentee a ktm will go to crap quicker than the other brands regardless of rider skill,"

You certainly have no basis to "Guarantee" the accuracy of that statement. You may have had one poor experience and you should simply stick to that. It's simply not a credible and it's just a pile of word $hit.
I’ve owned one new gen ktm (16), 2 pervious gen ktm’s (13 and 14), and rode a handful of 17/18 new gen Ktms’s. I’d say my experience with the brand is valid. Learn how to read.
cody41
11/22/2018 4:35am
vetmxr wrote:

cody41 wrote:
Monk wrote:
Ah, no worries. I've see all too often when KTM guys get offended when someone doesn't share that same positive and uplifting experience they might have...
Ah, no worries. I've see all too often when KTM guys get offended when someone doesn't share that same positive and uplifting experience they might have. It would be impossible to produce 100,000+ motorcycles and not have a few that might be a lemon. My experiences have been the polar opposite.

What bike are you riding now?
I currently have a 2017 yz250. I had yz450f’s before this, and then the 450sxf
11/22/2018 4:59am Edited Date/Time 11/22/2018 5:34am
I still have ptsd from the clunk noise that the ktm forks made in a go pro video I watched of a guy flat landing from a small jump.
11/22/2018 10:01am
Monk wrote:
I've gotten some flack over my experience with my 350. I have a 16 350xcf, and I bought it as a new leftover in 2017. In...
I've gotten some flack over my experience with my 350. I have a 16 350xcf, and I bought it as a new leftover in 2017. In 2yrs I have put a total of 450+hrs on my 350. In 2017 I raced both a Provincial Series and Western Canada series and walked away with 2 championships in Vet A. For 2018 I was moved to Pro/AA where I trained but only competed in 2 races. I won one and got 2nd on the other (only reason I mention this is hopefully validate that I do ride at a fairly competitive level). I do not use the 4cs forks, I run Dal Soggio Spheres and also have a set of AER forks. Since day 1 I have never touched the motor. I have never checked the valves, original timing change, original piston, etc... It is 100% stock since the day it's rolled off the showroom floor. The only mod I did make was change the stock stator for a HO stator and a larger battery. The bike has never let me down. I run Rotella 15/40 and standard pump 92 pump gas. The bike has never ever let me down, left me stranded or led to a DNF... To date it's been one of the most reliable and solid machines I've ever owned.

As of late I bought a new 2019 Husky FX350, with recently spending some time one (friend owns one also). I was actually disappointed, disappointed that this 19 FX350 wasn't mind blowing better then my 16, especially considering the hours. Even at 450hrs my 16 felt very competitive and powerful against the 19...The only thing I feel I missed on my 16 is the TC which IMO might be a game changer, and even possibly better than a Rekluse.

I highly highly recommend the 350s, and with AER on the 16 you mention it might be well worth you money to buy it...

thanks, that is awesome to here, incredeble how good the engine hold up even when its a engine that needs to be revved alot.
tk2stroke
11/22/2018 10:16am Edited Date/Time 11/23/2018 10:11am
cody41 wrote:
tk2stroke wrote:
"but I can gaurentee a ktm will go to crap quicker than the other brands regardless of rider skill," You certainly have no basis to "Guarantee"...

cody41 wrote:
I’ve owned one new gen ktm (16), 2 pervious gen ktm’s (13 and 14), and rode a handful of 17/18 new gen Ktms’s. I’d say my...
I’ve owned one new gen ktm (16), 2 pervious gen ktm’s (13 and 14), and rode a handful of 17/18 new gen Ktms’s. I’d say my experience with the brand is valid. Learn how to read.
correction, a few poor to you experiences and some previous gens that you thought were better.

"they feel like garbage" is a silly statement, whether its about the KTM or any other major brand. You may not like them for your own personal reasons, but the market totally disagrees. KTM has become the leading brand, and it's based on overall value, performance, and reliability. The collective wisdom of the market does not lie and that includes racers from novices to experts alike. All the major brands are very high quality machines and that is a fact that is indisputable. Anyone saying otherwise is simply not credible.

None of this is to say KTM hasn't had issues, the fuel line/filter issue was well known. Ride bikes as hard as you do as an A rider and things will break, just like they do on every other brand. I know plenty of A riders who ride other brands and they deal with similar level issues

Have a nice Thanksgiving

Post a reply to: why wouldn't you buy a 2016 ktm 350 ?

The Latest