20% Mandatory Tips

sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
5/23/2018 6:35pm Edited Date/Time 6/2/2018 11:26am
Is it really a "Tip" if they add it on the bill ? Or is that just charging an extra 20% ?
|
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
5/23/2018 6:50pm
sumdood wrote:
Is it really a "Tip" if they add it on the bill ? Or is that just charging an extra 20% ?
nope,
stupid system really, just pay your staff what they are worth, no expect the customers to do it for you,
IWreckALot
5/23/2018 6:52pm
We’re you in a large party?

If so, I hear what you’re saying but it’s out of necessity they do it. Most of the time the waiter will drop other tables to take care of a large table. Apparently there are enough assholes out there that’ll snub a waiter. Or if all the checks are broken out, everyone tips a small amount assuming someone else will leave a big tip. So the waiter gets shafted regardless of service.

If service was shitty, I kinda wonder what they would do if you refused to pay it.
SEEMEFIRST
5/23/2018 6:53pm
Fight in the parking lot?
newmann
5/23/2018 7:28pm
Sunday afternoon bun run? I hear those fuckers always skip out on the tip.

The Shop

5/23/2018 9:58pm
sumdood wrote:
It's 22% now.

I swear, it feels like what is considered a normal tip has DOUBLED in my lifetime.

My favorite is when a server brings me back my change and only leaves me big bills in a hope that I'll leave a $20 bill for a $30 meal. That one always backfires.
5/23/2018 10:01pm
sumdood wrote:
scott_nz wrote:
nope,
stupid system really, just pay your staff what they are worth, no expect the customers to do it for you,
In America you pay for the food, tip for the service.

If the service wage is automatic, what is the incentive for the server to do a good job?

Ive lived in countries where tipping wasnt customary. The service was non-existent.

I still appreciate a system where I get to decide what their service was worth. And as a former server, I know the value in being allowed to work harder so that I can earn more. Especially since it's mostly tax-free cash.
5/23/2018 10:09pm Edited Date/Time 5/23/2018 10:09pm
sumdood wrote:
I recently got charged 25% because we had "a party of 6 or more".

4 adults... and 2 of the people at the table were infants/newborn babies that slept the whole time and certainly didnt eat.

The waitress tried explaining that shit with a straight face. I told her she was welcome to call the cops and report a dine & dash. I paid my bill but she wasnt getting a tip out of me.

The audacity of businesses these days is incredible. It's like hotels that charge for parking. I want to punch the asshole in the throat that came up with that bullshit.

Or how about room service? They auto gratuity charge you 20%. Plus there is a "delivery charge". And a "room service fee". What in the fuck. Just charge me the $45 for the eggs and bacon. No need to tack on all these bullshit extra fees that add up to the same amount.

Vegas is charging for parking now. And they just added "resort" fees to the bill. I asked the desk clerk if they could waive the fee since I dont use the gym or pool or any of the supposed bonuses the fee entitles me too. She said no and explained how it's a really dumb fee and the staff are taking constant grief for it. $40 for the room. $40 for the "resort fee". And then all the bullshit taxes. Just tell me the room is $100 a night and it'd be a hell of a lot less frustrating.
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
5/23/2018 10:17pm
sumdood wrote:
I recently got charged 25% because we had "a party of 6 or more". 4 adults... and 2 of the people at the table were infants/newborn...
I recently got charged 25% because we had "a party of 6 or more".

4 adults... and 2 of the people at the table were infants/newborn babies that slept the whole time and certainly didnt eat.

The waitress tried explaining that shit with a straight face. I told her she was welcome to call the cops and report a dine & dash. I paid my bill but she wasnt getting a tip out of me.

The audacity of businesses these days is incredible. It's like hotels that charge for parking. I want to punch the asshole in the throat that came up with that bullshit.

Or how about room service? They auto gratuity charge you 20%. Plus there is a "delivery charge". And a "room service fee". What in the fuck. Just charge me the $45 for the eggs and bacon. No need to tack on all these bullshit extra fees that add up to the same amount.

Vegas is charging for parking now. And they just added "resort" fees to the bill. I asked the desk clerk if they could waive the fee since I dont use the gym or pool or any of the supposed bonuses the fee entitles me too. She said no and explained how it's a really dumb fee and the staff are taking constant grief for it. $40 for the room. $40 for the "resort fee". And then all the bullshit taxes. Just tell me the room is $100 a night and it'd be a hell of a lot less frustrating.
having travelled a fair bit, i have received good and bad service in all places, incl the US,
tipping taxi drivers is another that drives me nuts,

while i am on it, not having taxes included in the marked prices is another good old USA thing, it is the land of plus everything, the only place in the world where a $30 dinner will cost you $38 bucks plus tip, Hotels are bad enough with resort fees etc, beaten only by rental car companies who manage to at least triple the advertised price every time i ever get one in the USA,
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
5/23/2018 10:30pm Edited Date/Time 5/23/2018 10:33pm
^^ Have not seen that before. I know restaurants do it on large parties. I got caught by surprise the other day when our breakfast bill for a 7 people came to 108 bucks and they automatically added 20%. This brought it to 128 something, that's the total I saw so I thought I'd be generous and tip her 30 bucks, then I got home and realized I'd actually tipped her a whopping 50 bucks on 100 bucks worth of food.. So ok my mistake, live and learn next time I'll pay better attention to the itemized part, carry on. The real kicker came a couple days later when I started getting the quotes/bills for my daughters upcoming wedding. Their 20% auto tips are adding up quick. So far the caterer and the hair and make up chicks bills both include a "20% gratuity" figured right into the bill. The makeup chicks "Tip" came to 145 bucks and the caterers 20% gratuity included came to 525 bucks. That's $670.00 of "Tips" from only TWO of the many vendors were getting bills from. And it's written right into the contract, that's not a fucking tip, that's a fucking charge. I was born at night but not last night. I have always been a good tipper (20+%) but these wedding vendors are going to cure me of that habit real quick, it's bullshit. The wedding coordinator told me to give her any additional tips I wanted to give the vendors and she'd make sure they got them...... hhhahahhaha yeah riiiight.
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
5/23/2018 10:50pm
Maybe that's how I should start bidding too. "Ok Mr. customer sir, your pool pump and heater are both shot, a new variable speed pump and new wazoo super duper heater will run you $5,400' installed with a 1 year warry"

New pump and heater, installed with 1 year warry. $5,400.00
20% Gratuity - $1,080.00

TOTAL DUE - $6,480.00

I could really bump up my profit margin that way

5/24/2018 12:43am
sumdood wrote:
^^ Have not seen that before. I know restaurants do it on large parties. I got caught by surprise the other day when our breakfast bill...
^^ Have not seen that before. I know restaurants do it on large parties. I got caught by surprise the other day when our breakfast bill for a 7 people came to 108 bucks and they automatically added 20%. This brought it to 128 something, that's the total I saw so I thought I'd be generous and tip her 30 bucks, then I got home and realized I'd actually tipped her a whopping 50 bucks on 100 bucks worth of food.. So ok my mistake, live and learn next time I'll pay better attention to the itemized part, carry on. The real kicker came a couple days later when I started getting the quotes/bills for my daughters upcoming wedding. Their 20% auto tips are adding up quick. So far the caterer and the hair and make up chicks bills both include a "20% gratuity" figured right into the bill. The makeup chicks "Tip" came to 145 bucks and the caterers 20% gratuity included came to 525 bucks. That's $670.00 of "Tips" from only TWO of the many vendors were getting bills from. And it's written right into the contract, that's not a fucking tip, that's a fucking charge. I was born at night but not last night. I have always been a good tipper (20+%) but these wedding vendors are going to cure me of that habit real quick, it's bullshit. The wedding coordinator told me to give her any additional tips I wanted to give the vendors and she'd make sure they got them...... hhhahahhaha yeah riiiight.
I despise the wedding industry. Fucking sharks.

I dont understand why everyone thinks they are entitled to a "gratuity".

If you're not taking my order, bringing me my food, and refilling my drink.... I dont owe you shit but what the normal rate is.

The fact that flowers, DJ (glorified iPod), caterer, dress, etc all want a tip is insane to me. Here's a "tip", just work the fee into your rate so I just think you're expensive and not an asshole.
71Fish
5/24/2018 6:13am
There is a restaurant in Park City, UT (probably more than one) that adds 24%. I had to hunt down my waiter because he forgot my wife's beer.

Most, if not all countries I've visited or lived pay a higher wage for services so tipping is required and can even be seen as an insult because you are saying they look like they "need" the money.

I agree to with what someone above wrote about not showing total prices with tax included. If something cost $1 it should be $1, not $1.07.
MJC
5/24/2018 6:26am
scott_nz wrote:
having travelled a fair bit, i have received good and bad service in all places, incl the US, tipping taxi drivers is another that drives me...
having travelled a fair bit, i have received good and bad service in all places, incl the US,
tipping taxi drivers is another that drives me nuts,

while i am on it, not having taxes included in the marked prices is another good old USA thing, it is the land of plus everything, the only place in the world where a $30 dinner will cost you $38 bucks plus tip, Hotels are bad enough with resort fees etc, beaten only by rental car companies who manage to at least triple the advertised price every time i ever get one in the USA,
Fuck oath.
Went there, missus shopping with young fella, I saw a sign “hot dog and drink” 5 bucks, thought shit yeah I’m in the US. Grabbed a fiver, nope, fuckin taxes. Why the fuck advertise a $5 feed you mangy pricks!!!
The service in the US was no different to anywhere else I’ve been and the food (admittedly tourist hot spots) fucking sucked.
Also, rookie error on my behalf, something costs say $13.20, I’d hand $23.20 over to lose some coin and keep notes. Would bite me in the arse when it came to tip via cash. Better off be walking around with 2 pockets of coins/notes and sound like a fucking reindeer than only having a tenner for tips
MR. X
5/24/2018 6:29am
I'll tip good if they gave me good service ,if I go through my whole meal with an empty glass ,then very little tip for them . I like to tip in cash ,it gives them the opportunity to claim the minimum.
JPT
5/24/2018 7:32am
It's been awhile but right out of college I was a waiter in a real nice place. We wore tuxes, did flaming desserts at the table the whole bit. The place was able to pay us half minimum wage because tips were supposed to make up the difference. Don't know how much more the meals would have cost if they paid us a decent wage and skipped the tip but I guess it would have been even more than with the tip.

Now days people are able to check out the menu and prices online before they decide on where they're going. Jacking up a tip allows them to show lower prices while keeping decent staff.
IWreckALot
5/24/2018 7:37am
Wow. I didn't realize they were adding gratuity on so many items now. I rarely go to a restaurant and try not to stay in hotels. Vegas was a real PITA with the additional fees. You can no longer figure out how much you're going to have to pay for a vacation. It's like you budget the amount you think you're going to need and get there and they want to charge you more for actually showing up.

I'm kinda done with the entertainment industry. I'm making my backyard an oasis currently and I plan on spending as much of my free time there as I can.
IWreckALot
5/24/2018 7:45am
MJC wrote:
Fuck oath. Went there, missus shopping with young fella, I saw a sign “hot dog and drink” 5 bucks, thought shit yeah I’m in the US...
Fuck oath.
Went there, missus shopping with young fella, I saw a sign “hot dog and drink” 5 bucks, thought shit yeah I’m in the US. Grabbed a fiver, nope, fuckin taxes. Why the fuck advertise a $5 feed you mangy pricks!!!
The service in the US was no different to anywhere else I’ve been and the food (admittedly tourist hot spots) fucking sucked.
Also, rookie error on my behalf, something costs say $13.20, I’d hand $23.20 over to lose some coin and keep notes. Would bite me in the arse when it came to tip via cash. Better off be walking around with 2 pockets of coins/notes and sound like a fucking reindeer than only having a tenner for tips
Funny you mention the food quality. I went to Vancouver for business recently and the food was not very good. Have you traveled much? Seems like every time I travel anywhere the food isn't what I'm used to and I perceive it as not very good. I also cook a lot of my food and I know how to season and use a variety of veggies and spices/ herbs to get flavor in my food.

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around why a price with tax included cannot be displayed. One reason I can think of is that a lot of food items in the grocery store are tax exempt. But that still doesn't explain why they can't just put the post tax amount on the signage. I'm with you there. Just name the price I have to pay for something. Don't be adding more cost at the time to pay. . .
MR. X
5/24/2018 8:14am
Hope you didn't get hit with this charge too. "Minimum wage increases won't effect you, man." [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/05/23/263787/s1200_Screenshot_20180523_193132.jpg[/img]
Hope you didn't get hit with this charge too. "Minimum wage increases won't effect you, man."

Most people knew where the extra money was gonna come from ,the leaches all thought we would just shake the money trees harder.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
5/24/2018 8:53am
I was working in the restaurant business (dishwasher, busboy, delivery) when I was in school and paying for my bikes/racing. I have always had an appreciation for waiters/waitresses so my tipping varies from 20-100% depending on the attitude of the server. Even a shitty server gets 20% minimum. It’s a tough job to do it well. Diners somehow equate there dislike from anything that comes out of the kitchen as the servers fault, they continually make them run for single items that could have been asked for when they were asked “can I get you anything else”. I have no problem with mandatory tipping charges to prevent tight asses from shorting them. If you have a shitty server report them to mananement and they will eventually be gone. If you can’t afford 20-25% then go to fast food or buy groceries
MR. X
5/24/2018 9:38am
KennyT wrote:
I was working in the restaurant business (dishwasher, busboy, delivery) when I was in school and paying for my bikes/racing. I have always had an appreciation...
I was working in the restaurant business (dishwasher, busboy, delivery) when I was in school and paying for my bikes/racing. I have always had an appreciation for waiters/waitresses so my tipping varies from 20-100% depending on the attitude of the server. Even a shitty server gets 20% minimum. It’s a tough job to do it well. Diners somehow equate there dislike from anything that comes out of the kitchen as the servers fault, they continually make them run for single items that could have been asked for when they were asked “can I get you anything else”. I have no problem with mandatory tipping charges to prevent tight asses from shorting them. If you have a shitty server report them to mananement and they will eventually be gone. If you can’t afford 20-25% then go to fast food or buy groceries
Does that mean I can go behind the bar and get myself a drink when I'm empty ?
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
5/24/2018 9:52am
KennyT wrote:
I was working in the restaurant business (dishwasher, busboy, delivery) when I was in school and paying for my bikes/racing. I have always had an appreciation...
MR. X wrote:
I did that before with soda! I was so pissed that our waiter was not staying on top of our drinks refills so I took my wife and my glasses, went into the back and started filling our drinks. I had attention within seconds and said “if my waiter would stopp by I wouldn’t be back here”
Still left him 20%

Ever since they started taxing tips I make sure they get a minimum.
If they are not good at thier job I’ll let them or management know but I won’t short them
MR. X
5/24/2018 10:18am
KennyT wrote:
MR. X wrote:
KennyT wrote:
I did that before with soda! I was so pissed that our waiter was not staying on top of our drinks refills so I took my...
I did that before with soda! I was so pissed that our waiter was not staying on top of our drinks refills so I took my wife and my glasses, went into the back and started filling our drinks. I had attention within seconds and said “if my waiter would stopp by I wouldn’t be back here”
Still left him 20%

Ever since they started taxing tips I make sure they get a minimum.
If they are not good at thier job I’ll let them or management know but I won’t short them
My wife was a waitress all through college ,I let her make the call usually .
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
5/24/2018 11:24am
We are 20 percent minimum. My mom was a waitress all her life so there is that but also I enjoy keeping people happy even if they were assholes. My friends think I am nuts the way I tip but they know who gets treated the best everywhere i go and even if not its mine to give. With hard work combined with good luck I am fortunate to be able to and enjoy it. Good times for all is all i ever want.
bigmaico
5/24/2018 11:51am
Having parents that owned restaurants, l tend to tip well!

But when they do a really good job, I ask for the manager & tell them about the good service, it shocks most of them, normally they only hear about bad service.

If I get bad service l Remember their name & ask not to be waited on by them or never come back to that restaurant.

It’s pretty easy nowadays, as the Wife only wants to go to 2 different restaurants both with really good service.
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
5/24/2018 12:00pm
FLmxer wrote:
We are 20 percent minimum. My mom was a waitress all her life so there is that but also I enjoy keeping people happy even if...
We are 20 percent minimum. My mom was a waitress all her life so there is that but also I enjoy keeping people happy even if they were assholes. My friends think I am nuts the way I tip but they know who gets treated the best everywhere i go and even if not its mine to give. With hard work combined with good luck I am fortunate to be able to and enjoy it. Good times for all is all i ever want.
My Mom wasn't a waitress, but I always tip 20+ as well for the same reasons you listed. However when a hairdresser says her fee is $1,050.00 (for less than 4-5 hours) then has an additional $210.00 added on as a "Gratuity" that's bullshit I don't care what anyone says. Tips are only tips if they're optional, otherwise it's a charge. Seems simple enough. And the caterer charging a gratuity of $525.00, in advance ? What if the food and service both suck ? That's one whale of a "Tip" for crappy food and service.
akillerwombat
5/24/2018 12:09pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2018 12:11pm
FLmxer wrote:
We are 20 percent minimum. My mom was a waitress all her life so there is that but also I enjoy keeping people happy even if...
Same.

Restaurant / catering work put me through school and I know for every 20% tipper out there there is one if not two "just leave the change / I don't time" tippers... or a group that stays at a table for 2 hours and leaves 5%.

I like being able to tip someone for doing a good job, but, I don't think it should be something a server is dependent on to make a living. That said, having working in restaurants all those years, people would loose their fucking minds if they went into their favorite restaurant next week and all the prices were jacked up by a few bucks to cover the now missing tips.
TXDirt
5/24/2018 12:36pm
I tip 20%+ usually. However, I do not tip on alcohol and taxes. My tips may seem disproportionate but considering there is like a 500% markup on a drink I see no need to tip on that. And of course don't tip on the tax either.
akillerwombat
5/24/2018 12:38pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2018 12:38pm
TXDirt wrote:
I tip 20%+ usually. However, I do not tip on alcohol and taxes. My tips may seem disproportionate but considering there is like a 500% markup...
I tip 20%+ usually. However, I do not tip on alcohol and taxes. My tips may seem disproportionate but considering there is like a 500% markup on a drink I see no need to tip on that. And of course don't tip on the tax either.
Secret is, give the bartender a big tip at the start of the night.

You don't have to tip the rest of the night, you get stronger drinks, and faster service.
DoctorJD
5/24/2018 12:42pm
I do 20% almost always, sometimes more if I get exemplary service. I've even tipped another table when I know the server didn't get tipped...after busting their ass to appease the people. Pisses me off, and I see it all the time.

Post a reply to: 20% Mandatory Tips

The Latest