40 yrs ago today, skynyrd

hillbilly
Like to seen how good they would got with some yrs behind them with Ronnie. And Collins notpassing a few yrs later.

Round here they still rule.
|
markit
10/20/2017 2:39pm
hillbilly wrote:
Like to seen how good they would got with some yrs behind them with Ronnie. And Collins notpassing a few yrs later. Round here they still...
Like to seen how good they would got with some yrs behind them with Ronnie. And Collins notpassing a few yrs later.

They would have ruled the music world, of course.
lestat
10/20/2017 4:44pm
“Drummer Artimus Pyle, one of the few survivors able to walk, staggered out for help and was allegedly shot at by an alarmed farmer”

LMAO ! That’s perfect ...
markit
10/20/2017 6:16pm
I was set to go to that show, they crashed about 50 mi from a he town i was living in.

The Shop

plowboy
10/20/2017 8:00pm
hillbilly wrote:
Like to seen how good they would got with some yrs behind them with Ronnie. And Collins notpassing a few yrs later. Round here they still...

markit wrote:
They would have ruled the music world, of course.
I reckon yore right.
oldblood
10/20/2017 8:15pm
Skynyrd, there's nothing more to say .
RACERX69
10/21/2017 5:06am Edited Date/Time 10/21/2017 5:07am
Like myself, my kids love Skynyrd. I do all I can to ensure their musical influences are bands of yesterday, and not today. Does anyone honestly think kids coming of age today will be discussing/listening to Flo Rida or Drake 40 years from now and reminiscing about how great they were? I'm thinking not!!!
motogrady
10/21/2017 5:27am
Saw them at the Baltimore Civic Center.
Ronnie was a short guy, barefoot the whole show.
You could tell, he was in charge.

They were great, how would they say it, a real fine show.
JAFO92
10/21/2017 5:36am
hillbilly wrote:

The real game changer for them was Steve Gaines. That guy was taking them places and he brought a flavor and sound they didnt have before.
JAFO92
10/21/2017 6:03am
lestat wrote:
“Drummer Artimus Pyle, one of the few survivors able to walk, staggered out for help and was allegedly shot at by an alarmed farmer” LMAO...
“Drummer Artimus Pyle, one of the few survivors able to walk, staggered out for help and was allegedly shot at by an alarmed farmer”

LMAO ! That’s perfect ...
There is so much myth, lies and fighting within the band, not sure I believe much of what I hear on all that.

https://youtu.be/wFIkQjDtwOw
LoudLove
10/21/2017 1:11pm
JAFO92 wrote:
The real game changer for them was Steve Gaines. That guy was taking them places and he brought a flavor and sound they didnt have before.
Yep. Steve brought a style and musical skill set Collins and Rossington lacked. Ed King was talented in a similar manner, but he was more of a hired gun than core member of the band. Ronnie kept a close eye on Ed's influence, even though King was the best musician of the group.
freeh
10/21/2017 1:37pm
hillbilly wrote:

JAFO92 wrote:
Gaines only played on one studio album, which was released right before the crash. Seems like they were plenty successful before he joined. Talented for sure though.
ledger
10/22/2017 2:07am Edited Date/Time 10/22/2017 2:22am
Love me some Skynyrd, a group of poor boy's jamming in a garage, then off to Hell House for 16-17 hours of more jamming, fighting each other over chords, lyrics and food. Ronnie Van Zant was a true bad ass dude that kept his band in line, always barefoot on stage to feel the beat under his feet. So much talent among them all, their music was inspired by real life (their life) and to hit the soul of the working class. Interesting how Jojo Keller dreamed the plane crashed the night before it happened, and her mother pleaded to her not to get on the plane, Jojo also mentioned she never received a dime touring with the band but said it was a great party 24/7 with a lot of sex . I think Rossington is the last of the original band, lot of tragedy in such a short time. I told my X-wife that I dedicate the song...."One More Time" to her, cause the lyrics are spot on, LOL. Damn shame Southern Rock went out as furious as it came in. May sound dorky but....Rest In Peace freebirds.
hillbilly
10/22/2017 9:32am
Their best stuff never gets play,fine by me,i got it.

In the 80s Johnny would come thru regular to a wild place here in county. Bring in your poison and raise hell.

We would get their first and drink with the band and john. It was a breaker blowing show evertime.

All the southern bands came thru at some time,molly,blackfoot,outlaws,

Good times, well,till 86. Told that story before.
Mini Elsinore
10/22/2017 9:33am Edited Date/Time 10/22/2017 9:33am
I listen to at least one LS song everyday. Greatest band ever, hands down.

"Things Going On" and "Was I Right or Wrong" are vastly under-rated tunes. Going to bust 'em out right now....

RIP.
10/22/2017 10:46am
They have to be Jacksonville's most famous sons. You can still drive around Ronny's old neighborhood down there at Plymouth and Cassat and Lakeshore. The little store (Claude's Midway Grocery) is still there (called "Sunshine" now) where it is said a composite of folks became the catalyst for The Ballad of Curtis Loew.

I took a friend that came for a visit from St. Louis - he'd never been here and was/is a huge fan of the band. He was in awe driving around those streets.

I've got another pretty good story from 1981 when I first moved here. A friend of mine I was stationed with wanted to drive over and visit Ronny's grave there in Orange Park. We had been drinking heavily. We pulled in around 1:00 in the morning and got out. The grave was covered in bottles, flowers, a few notes. A cop drove in and asked us what the hell we thought we were doing. We slurred out, "Payin' our respekts to Ronny." He knew we were wasted, but told us, "Get back in the car go back to the barracks. Don't go anywhere else but back to NAS and your barracks.."

Amazing how times have changed.
ledger
10/22/2017 12:06pm Edited Date/Time 10/22/2017 12:10pm
This song is dedicated to my X-wife of 24 year's of marriage, lol. Great song from the album Street Survivor's. https://youtu.be/qp0b9cKeuhQ
hillbilly
10/22/2017 3:45pm
Four walls of raiford, on the hunt,workin for mca. Poison whiskey
JAFO92
10/22/2017 5:35pm
Comin' Home, Am I Losin', Every Mothers Son, I Never Dreamed, All I Can Do Is Write About It.

And Lord I can't make any changes
All I can do is write 'em in a song
I can see the concrete slowly creepin'
Lord take me and mine before that comes

ledger
10/22/2017 5:40pm
Every Mother's Son, Coming Home, Double Trouble, Cheat'n Woman, Simple Man. Gains and RVZ singing.... You Got That Right, you shore got that right....!! Also, the song "Gimme Back My Bullets" referred to the bullets on the Billboard Chart.
ledger
10/22/2017 6:02pm
Mr. Saturday Night Special, Got a barrel that's blue and cold, Ain't good for nothin', But put a man six feet in a hole.

Post a reply to: 40 yrs ago today, skynyrd

The Latest