Ancestry.com DNA kits

Titan1
8/29/2017 12:11pm
Have any of you tried these?

My wife bought her and I each one for christmas last year and we finally got around to sending it in a couple of weeks ago.

I always believed that I was english and Irish...but, according to the DNA results, I'm 72% Western European (France, German, Belgium, etc.), 15% Irish, 7% scandinavian, and 3% Great Britian, 2% Italian/Greek, 1% Russian.

I've spent most of the day on there website looking over family trees and other things. Very very cool stuff.
|
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
8/29/2017 1:03pm
I love this stuff. I'd be interested to know how they actually figure out the genome part and how that relates to different countries from a geographical standpoint. Sure, there's a genetic inclination among people who have historically lived in one area, but to call someone "American," for instance, comes from a very short historical perspective when compared to Human DNA. "Native American" is a whole other story, of course.

I bet there's a strong indicator for people from islands; Ireland or mainland England. Probably also for the indigenous peoples of Australia and Hawaii. There would also be a "container" of people in areas where it is difficult to travel; behind mountain ranges or across deserts from other people. I guess those same obstacles are great natural barriers where geopolitical lines form.

I'd also bet that in future generations these genealogical differences will wane substantially. The world is a lot smaller a place than it used to be.

I had a similar experience when my cousin did some research on our family. I always thought I was mostly German, but it turns out that's only half true - my paternal Great-great-grandfather immigrated here from Switzerland. Not a huge difference, but a significant one.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
8/29/2017 1:35pm
I got my kit couple weeks ago but I still have to do my sample and send it in. I should get on that soon seeing as it takes a couple weeks to get the results back.

Since then I've been working on my family tree with the help of a book one of my aunts left me. So far I've only worked on my dad's side of things. We're French-Canadian. Both my parents have French last name but I've discovered that one of my X times great-grandfathers was from England. I know we'll have a big portion of our DNA that's from France but can't wait to see what else we have. I also found out that one of my X time great-grandmother was 100% Native American (most likely Iroquois) so somewhere in there I have some Native blood.

I've been putting a lot of time working on the family tree. Thanks to the book I've been able to find up to my 10th great-grandfather and 10th great-grandmother on my father's side of the family and up to my 8th great-grandfather and 8th great-grandmother on my mother's side of the family.

Like I mentioned I'm pretty sure there's a big portion of us that will be from France due to the research I've made but there's no telling for sure until I get the sample done and sent out.

I'm also thinking of getting the 23andme kit as well but that one is quite a bit more expensive so that'll have to wait.

I have to get my Mom and Dad to get an Ancestry DNA kit that way my brother and I can have a better understanding of where we truly come from.

So far I only have a free account on the ancestry.com site simply because the book I have a long with other websites I found have been a great help in researching and completing the family tree. I might sign up for a paid account eventually but i'll sign-up for the 14 day trial to see if it's truly worth it once I can't find more information.

I've got just over 2000 people in my family tree. Everyone from my parents, cousins, cousins of cousins, etc. Still plenty more people to add lol. I know one thing they sure had different names back in the 1500's and 1600's.

Looks like my family has been in Canada for over 400 years.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
8/29/2017 3:49pm
Maverick, you aren't kidding about the names.

My family has a male tradition of the middle name "Richard." My son's, mine, my father's and his father before him all had Richard as the middle name. I have recently come to find out that my grandfather actually changed his to Richard from "Reinhold." Laughing I guess he was embarrassed or something.
rhargrave431
8/29/2017 4:34pm
I'm really not sure how or if they work.. My girlfriends mom got one for her birthday, and she has Native American in her. I believe her mom or dad was a quarter. She took the test and it showed zero native in her blood.. She is tan, almost like Italian, and it came back with a bunch of very predominate lighter skin ethnicity results. So I'd be curious.

The Shop

MR. X
8/29/2017 5:09pm
It would be interesting to find out . All my grand parents came from Germany around the time of the war , they always just said as far as they know ,just German .
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
8/29/2017 8:27pm Edited Date/Time 8/29/2017 8:32pm
I'm really not sure how or if they work.. My girlfriends mom got one for her birthday, and she has Native American in her. I believe...
I'm really not sure how or if they work.. My girlfriends mom got one for her birthday, and she has Native American in her. I believe her mom or dad was a quarter. She took the test and it showed zero native in her blood.. She is tan, almost like Italian, and it came back with a bunch of very predominate lighter skin ethnicity results. So I'd be curious.
There are issues with indigenous Indians and their mitichondrial DNA and lack of biological differences, among other things. Im not an expert but things like this are interesting to me. It appears false negatives may be more common.

http://www.ipcb.org/publications/briefing_papers/files/identity.html

rhargrave431
8/30/2017 1:08am
I'm really not sure how or if they work.. My girlfriends mom got one for her birthday, and she has Native American in her. I believe...
kzizok wrote:
There are issues with indigenous Indians and their mitichondrial DNA and lack of biological differences, among other things. Im not an expert but things like this...
There are issues with indigenous Indians and their mitichondrial DNA and lack of biological differences, among other things. Im not an expert but things like this are interesting to me. It appears false negatives may be more common.

http://www.ipcb.org/publications/briefing_papers/files/identity.html

Interesting read! Thanks for posting!
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
8/30/2017 6:55am
Falcon wrote:
Maverick, you aren't kidding about the names. My family has a male tradition of the middle name "Richard." My son's, mine, my father's and his father...
Maverick, you aren't kidding about the names.

My family has a male tradition of the middle name "Richard." My son's, mine, my father's and his father before him all had Richard as the middle name. I have recently come to find out that my grandfather actually changed his to Richard from "Reinhold." Laughing I guess he was embarrassed or something.
I don't know what it is with the French but there's a hell of a lot of Jean-Baptiste in my family. Kind of lost count to be honest lol.

So far it's been pretty interesting. Found some married couples that had the same decease date only to find out they were killed by the Iroquois Indians.
8/30/2017 7:37am
What a coincidence. My wife and I just got our results in yesterday. She was disappointing the great-great-great grandmother she claimed to be Native American seems to not be represented in her DNA, but for the most part it was as expected.

My family history was mostly a mystery to me but it shows up as about half European and a quarter of both Scandinavian and British/Irish. She turned out to be about 85% German (and Germany's immediate neighbors), which I fully expected knowing her family. My favorite conclusion is that she is 3% Irish (she has red hair so people have always asked her if she is Irish which she has always vehemently denied.).
Firefly47
8/31/2017 6:25am
Who owns Ancestry.com?
8/31/2017 7:33am
Firefly47 wrote:
Who owns Ancestry.com?
The Illuminati as far as I heard Dry

It is just to sow discourse among the populace by reinforcing ethnic groupings. Upon seeing my Scandinavian roots I have a strong urge to invade England and do some serious pillaging all of a sudden.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
8/31/2017 7:34am
Firefly47 wrote:
Who owns Ancestry.com?
On the DNA box I received on the back it says Ancestry.com DNA, LLC.

It also says that the product is subject to one or more patents under license from DNA Genotek Inc. listed at www.dnagenotek.com/legalnotices

Box I received came from Lehi, Utah and the return box is going to Dublin, Ireland.
Titan1
8/31/2017 3:50pm
My wife got hers back today...her grandmother is 100% Greek (great grandparents-whom she knew as a child-immigrated from Greece...didn't even speak english)...so we figured she was 25% greek (her mom was half Greek).

DNA confirmed she is 29% Greek. So she hasn't been living a lie. lol

Her dad is Irish/Scandinavian...so she is 15% of each of those (30% total between the 2).

Then she has a small amount of West European...and them smaller amounts of West Asia, and Africa.

Very interesting stuff.
Titan1
8/31/2017 3:54pm
Firefly47 wrote:
Who owns Ancestry.com?
-MAVERICK- wrote:
On the DNA box I received on the back it says Ancestry.com DNA, LLC. It also says that the product is subject to one or more...

It also says that the product is subject to one or more patents under license from DNA Genotek Inc. listed at www.dnagenotek.com/legalnotices

Box I received came from Lehi, Utah and the return box is going to Dublin, Ireland.
Ancestry.com has their corporate headquarters here.
Ebs
8/31/2017 4:02pm
I think the concept is pretty cool, but I can't be the only one that gets a little tin-foily about voluntarily submitting my name and DNA to be recorded into some database.
RonSkj
Fantasy
141st
8/31/2017 6:26pm
Ebs wrote:
I think the concept is pretty cool, but I can't be the only one that gets a little tin-foily about voluntarily submitting my name and DNA...
I think the concept is pretty cool, but I can't be the only one that gets a little tin-foily about voluntarily submitting my name and DNA to be recorded into some database.
Is there an option to submit dna without identifying yourself?
avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
8/31/2017 9:01pm
Firefly47 wrote:
Who owns Ancestry.com?
-MAVERICK- wrote:
On the DNA box I received on the back it says Ancestry.com DNA, LLC. It also says that the product is subject to one or more...

Titan1 wrote:
Because the L.D.S. Church owns all of the DNA services.
APLMAN99
8/31/2017 10:34pm
I'm worried that mine would come back as 103% Neanderthal............
ns503
9/1/2017 4:14am
Firefly47 wrote:
Who owns Ancestry.com?
-MAVERICK- wrote:

Did you get yours thru the ancestry.com website? Or? I haven't checked it out yet, didn't know if there was a CDN place to get it from or not. Think pops wants one for Xmas....
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
9/1/2017 7:40am Edited Date/Time 9/1/2017 7:47am
Firefly47 wrote:
Who owns Ancestry.com?
-MAVERICK- wrote:

ns503 wrote:
Did you get yours thru the ancestry.com website? Or? I haven't checked it out yet, didn't know if there was a CDN place to get it...
Did you get yours thru the ancestry.com website? Or? I haven't checked it out yet, didn't know if there was a CDN place to get it from or not. Think pops wants one for Xmas....
I got mine from the ancestry.ca site. Like I mentioned the box came from the US and it took a bit of time to get here but I got it. There's a pre-paid return box included with the kit so everything you need comes with it.

I got it on sale as part of a Canada day celebration promotion they had at the time.

Edit: Make sure to create a free account on the site because that's where you'll receive your results. Also, make sure to register your test tube/sample on their site before sending it back. Each test tube has a unique number attached to it that identifies with that specific user.
Firefly47
9/1/2017 7:44am
-MAVERICK- wrote:

Titan1 wrote:
avidchimp wrote:
Because the L.D.S. Church owns all of the DNA services.
That's interesting.
9/1/2017 8:02am
Ebs wrote:
I think the concept is pretty cool, but I can't be the only one that gets a little tin-foily about voluntarily submitting my name and DNA...
How else do you think Dick Cheney is going to get his next heart transplant? I stay away too.

Post a reply to: Ancestry.com DNA kits

The Latest