Any lawyers or armchair lawyers in here ? Hypothetical legal question

sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
Here's the problem. Kids are breaking into condo complexes on my pool route and jumping off the roofs into the pools. It's happened on 3 different accounts now. (All right around the San Clemente pier, it's probably the same surf rats at all 3 places) The complex's are getting worried that if the little hoodlums miscalculate and splat on the deck they're going to be held responsible. One of them is talking about putting an electric pool cover over the pool to discourage the flying squirrel wannabes from launching off their roofs into the pools. So the question is
If all their exterior fences and gates are all up to code, and a kid climb the fence to get in the complex (essentially breaking into the complex), then climbs onto the roof via patio railings, rain gutters or whatever, then launches into the pool but miscalculates and splats on the concrete deck and paralyze's or kills themselves, can the complex be held accountable ?
|
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
5/20/2020 6:00pm
In a perfect world it would be on the asshole who jumped off the roof and missed the pool, but as you know we live in California. It's never the assholes fault.
😕
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
5/20/2020 6:05pm
avidchimp wrote:
In a perfect world it would be on the asshole who jumped off the roof and missed the pool, but as you know we live in...
In a perfect world it would be on the asshole who jumped off the roof and missed the pool, but as you know we live in California. It's never the assholes fault.
😕
Yeah that's their concern
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
5/20/2020 6:12pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2020 6:15pm
sumdood wrote:
Yeah that's their concern
We came home one day a long while ago and some neighbor kids were swimming in our pool, and I pulled out the 12 and said never come back. Their parents knocked on our door complaining that I threatened their kids, I said that if it happened again I would be "falling" off their roof trying to retrieve a ball I "lost" on their roof.

They never came back.

I am as liberal as they come, but don't fuck with me or my stuff. Unfortunately, the lawyers always win in this kinda case.

EDIT: I never pointed it at them, just made it known there was one in the house. Wink
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
5/20/2020 6:19pm
Michael (FTE) might have some advice, but I know it's not the good Counselor's area of practice.

The Shop

SEE ARE125
5/20/2020 6:36pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2020 6:43pm
If you don’t already have some, I would add some No Trespassing signs. It won’t deter them, but if you end up in court it’s another piece of evidence saying “We tried.” I’d think if the judge sees you’ve taken reasonable steps to deter them with gates, fences, signs, etc it would surely help your case. But then again I’ve heard all the horror stories out of California and how the law breakers somehow turn into victims in court. lol I read a story once where a burglar broke his leg and sued the homeowner he was robbing. Don’t recall if he won, but WTF.
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2892nd
5/20/2020 6:45pm
Things to cover ones derrière:

Post signage
Pool cover
Pigeon spikes everywhere
Electric fence around top of building

Sir Dirtiest of Deeds III esq.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
5/20/2020 8:29pm
Dirtydeeds wrote:
Things to cover ones derrière:

Post signage
Pool cover
Pigeon spikes everywhere
Electric fence around top of building

Sir Dirtiest of Deeds III esq.
I'll find out tomorrow what San Clemente's code says about the automatic "Safety" covers on commercial pools. My guess is it won't be an option because it can be left "1/2 open" and then a kid could under the covered part and not be visible. The first thing the association said was "We only need to cover the deep end" I told them no way that's going to fly. I'll suggest no trespassing signs all over the place. The electric fence on top of the building sounds cool until the little goofballs touch it and fall....
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
5/20/2020 8:42pm
Honestly it really doesn't matter what you do because people would sue a petting zoo if the cow they wanted to take pictures with decided to kick them.

As long as the property owner can prove they weren't negligent in their protection of the the property and have taken every precaution available (can be subjective depending on property) to prevent such an issue from occurring, it will be up to the Court as to whether the lawsuit has merit or not.

If said property owner has gone through and posted signs and code enforced fencing, they should be fine. People have actually lost liability cases because they have a pool cover. In the words of the court, "it inhibited the individuals ability to escape the pool."
XXVoid MainXX
5/20/2020 9:10pm Edited Date/Time 5/21/2020 5:36am
Dig a big pit, put some ashes at the bottom of it and sprinkle some peas around the edge. When they go to take a pea you kick them in the ash hole.
5/20/2020 9:19pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
If you don’t already have some, I would add some No Trespassing signs. It won’t deter them, but if you end up in court it’s another...
If you don’t already have some, I would add some No Trespassing signs. It won’t deter them, but if you end up in court it’s another piece of evidence saying “We tried.” I’d think if the judge sees you’ve taken reasonable steps to deter them with gates, fences, signs, etc it would surely help your case. But then again I’ve heard all the horror stories out of California and how the law breakers somehow turn into victims in court. lol I read a story once where a burglar broke his leg and sued the homeowner he was robbing. Don’t recall if he won, but WTF.
Better put it In 7 languages.
JM485
5/20/2020 10:09pm
I'm not gonna lie, that sounds kind of funTongueLaughing
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
5/20/2020 10:12pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2020 10:14pm
I guess it's a "Thing" now since that one guy was you tubing himself jumping off a bunch of different stuff. My son was cleaning one at like 6;00am and said he about jumped out of his shorts when some dude fell out of the sky and into the pool he was vacuuming. He said he's going to be in a you tube video going "Hey FUUUCK !! Fuckin what the fuck dude get the fuck outta here you fuckin asshole wtf !!" at full volume. LaughingLaughing He looked up at the roof to see the jumpers buddy filming him with his cell phone.If anyone finds a video like that please post it, I've looked for it. It should be good for a laugh
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
5/21/2020 12:15am
kongols wrote:
Only in America...
no, we have dumb shit laws as well,here about 10 years ago a gun shop owner shot a burgler who was trying to rob his store with a knife, they charged the gun shop owner with either attempted murder or assault with a deadly weapon as he had a loaded gun in the shop, the jury let him off, but it would have cost a bit,
I presonally think the guy should get a Darwin award for trying to rob a gun store with a knife,
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
5/21/2020 12:45pm
Sumdood, you already know the answer. If the property puts a pool cover on and these idiots don't see it... Then break their legs on it when they jump... Then drown...
You can see where I'm going with this.
The best legal action would be to sell the property, give all the proceeds to the first illegal alien encountered, and apologize profusely for having the gall to run a business in this state.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
5/21/2020 12:56pm Edited Date/Time 5/21/2020 12:56pm
Falcon wrote:
Sumdood, you already know the answer. If the property puts a pool cover on and these idiots don't see it... Then break their legs on it...
Sumdood, you already know the answer. If the property puts a pool cover on and these idiots don't see it... Then break their legs on it when they jump... Then drown...
You can see where I'm going with this.
The best legal action would be to sell the property, give all the proceeds to the first illegal alien encountered, and apologize profusely for having the gall to run a business in this state.
Hahahahahahaha and then head east, or south, or west, or anywhere, just pick a direction and don't stop until you cross a State line LaughingLaughingLaughing
DownSouth
5/21/2020 5:29pm Edited Date/Time 5/21/2020 5:39pm
Google "Attractive nuisance doctrine"

This does not totally apply to your situation but there are circumstances where property owners can be liable for people trespassing on their property and being injured.

BTW I am no lawyer...
500guy
5/21/2020 8:17pm
When you say "Electric Pool Cover" are we talking high Voltage like an Electric fence or a Motorized Pool Cover.

Because if you install the High Voltage one I suggest Cameras because I want to see that shit.

Now that I mentioned Cameras, maybe some game cameras would help figure out who and when it's happening.

Also filing a complaint with the PD might be a good cover your ass move too.
5/22/2020 12:38am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
If you don’t already have some, I would add some No Trespassing signs. It won’t deter them, but if you end up in court it’s another...
From a risk management perspective, I totally agree with this post. Definitely add signs, etc. And to add to the horror stories of California, my uncle works at a grocery store and some guy stole a liquor bottle and passed away after being chased by store employees and now the thief’s family is seeing the store’s owner...
5/22/2020 12:42am
KUSI in San Diego used to have a reporter by the name of Michael Turko who would cover stories like these to raise public awareness. Maybe San Clemente/Orange County has a similar media option?
5/22/2020 9:29am Edited Date/Time 5/22/2020 9:30am
My advice would be to give no advice. Tell your customer liability protection is not your company's area of expertise and that they really need to consult an attorney. If you do give them advise, and shit still goes wrong, welcome to the lawsuit.

I will say if someone has a known hazard on their property and they do nothing, they have a problem. In certain situations it seems harsh and wrong, but that's why we pay for insurance.
KMC440
5/22/2020 9:55am
Remember the burglar that fell through the skylight, fell onto the counter where there were knives ... sued because he got cut up.
Someone correct me but I think he won.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
5/22/2020 10:44am
KMC440 wrote:
Remember the burglar that fell through the skylight, fell onto the counter where there were knives ... sued because he got cut up. Someone correct me...
Remember the burglar that fell through the skylight, fell onto the counter where there were knives ... sued because he got cut up.
Someone correct me but I think he won.
Also, never shoot an intruder in the back. Whistling
Nighttrain
5/24/2020 2:47pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2020 8:56pm
sumdood wrote:
I guess it's a "Thing" now since that one guy was you tubing himself jumping off a bunch of different stuff. My son was cleaning one...
I guess it's a "Thing" now since that one guy was you tubing himself jumping off a bunch of different stuff. My son was cleaning one at like 6;00am and said he about jumped out of his shorts when some dude fell out of the sky and into the pool he was vacuuming. He said he's going to be in a you tube video going "Hey FUUUCK !! Fuckin what the fuck dude get the fuck outta here you fuckin asshole wtf !!" at full volume. LaughingLaughing He looked up at the roof to see the jumpers buddy filming him with his cell phone.If anyone finds a video like that please post it, I've looked for it. It should be good for a laugh
I fell thru the skylight of a mall in 1985. I had to pay a lot of lawyer fees to stay out of jail and to plea it down to a misdemeanor. I could have sued the mall?
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2892nd
5/24/2020 8:44pm
sumdood wrote:
I guess it's a "Thing" now since that one guy was you tubing himself jumping off a bunch of different stuff. My son was cleaning one...
Nighttrain wrote:
I fell thru the skylight of a mall in 1985. I had to pay a lot of lawyer fees to stay out of jail and to...
I fell thru the skylight of a mall in 1985. I had to pay a lot of lawyer fees to stay out of jail and to plea it down to a misdemeanor. I could have sued the mall?
In California? Absolutely. Could be known as the Nighttrain shopping center outlet mall’s ‘r’ us now.
SEEMEFIRST
5/24/2020 9:22pm
sumdood wrote:
Nighttrain wrote:
I fell thru the skylight of a mall in 1985. I had to pay a lot of lawyer fees to stay out of jail and to...
Sorry, sport.
You're in a red state. We understand who fucked up what.
5/25/2020 6:10am Edited Date/Time 5/25/2020 6:11am
Yea you could of sued the manufacturer of the skylights too. Maybe the company that supplied the fasteners as well. And quite possibly the construction company that installed said skylight.

Post a reply to: Any lawyers or armchair lawyers in here ? Hypothetical legal question

The Latest