Aussies coming to the USA

mingham97
Edited Date/Time 10/3/2017 6:18pm
Hey guys,
Me and the missus just did 5 weeks going around Europe. We're probably a few months away from booking and locking it all in to go to the USA.

I'm thinking the west to east, and go to a couple of nationals. I also want to check out the different MX HQ's and do a few tours.

Interests include MX, swimming, running, biking, relaxing, beer, bourbon and good food.

If anyone can suggest a couple of good places that are around this route please do. Will also be looking to try and hire a bike and ride 2 or 3 times.

This is the initial plan. The trip will take place during June/July.

So if you think your hometown is close to this, and you think it's the bomb, I'd be stoked to pass through and check it out. Will be doing this in a hire car (RAV4 or something similar) and will stay in cottages and cheap motels.
|
MR. X
10/2/2017 2:50am
Do you fish ? Depending on the time of year you are near Niagara falls ,i think i could get you on some 25 pound salmon from shore.
JRT812
10/2/2017 5:59am
Nashville has a lot to offer and check out Muddy Creek
three9zero
10/2/2017 6:34am
I'd rent a small RV and check out the mountains on the west side of the continent. In the US and Canada. Thw Canadian Rockies from Vancouver to Banff/Jasper are AMAZING. Also Colorado Wyoming, Idaho, Montana. Fly over the fly over states, then check out the Great Lakes and Atlantic side.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
10/2/2017 7:17am
Rent a Harley when you're in CO, cruise the mountain roads, maybe ride up Pikes Peak.
The race is actually Jun 24, 2018. Probably something to see.

The Shop

newmann
10/2/2017 8:57am
IH10 as soon as you hit Texas will bring you right past my house. Some good Cajun food nearby if you desire the mud bugs.

Your path from Houston to Dallas, may I ask why? Keep heading west from Houston and hit the Texas Hill Country. Head to Shiner and sample some beer at the brewery

On your way to Luling stop at Bucee's for fuel and road snacks. It's a little Texas gas station...with 132 gas pumps. Hit Luling City Market for BBQ

on your way to Lockhart for your choice of Smitty's

Blacks

or Kreuz Mkt.

Head in to Austin for a bit of the nightlife down around Sixth Street.

Then head on out towards Fredericksburg for some quality hill country time. Cabins, B&B's, wineries, vodka distilleries, bourbon, beer, antiques and some scenic driving.

You could hit the Pacific War Museum

while the missus shops on main street

before heading out on the Texas wine trail

or Vodka

or Bourbon

or beer at the Twisted X

Drive out on the twisted sisters highways and Enchanted Rock

Grab a cabin at Baron's Creek
bigmaico
10/2/2017 9:02am Edited Date/Time 10/2/2017 9:05am
Mingham97,

If & when you get closer to this trip, Let me know when you'll be in Houston,TX

"Interests include MX, swimming, running, biking, relaxing, beer, bourbon and good food"

These can all be done at Historic Rio Bravo, as they have a pool & we can cook up some Tex-Mex.

I should be able to hook you up with a ride for a day or 2, It might be My Vintage 490 Maico or who knows what?
http://www.riobravomx.com/
mingham97
10/2/2017 5:40pm
MR. X wrote:
Do you fish ? Depending on the time of year you are near Niagara falls ,i think i could get you on some 25 pound salmon...
Do you fish ? Depending on the time of year you are near Niagara falls ,i think i could get you on some 25 pound salmon from shore.
Sure do! Here in Australia we get the foul tasting Western Australian Salmon. They do get quite big but would love to get onto some Niagra Falls style! This is a photo from when I was 16, the last time I went fishing for salmon.

mingham97
10/2/2017 5:53pm
ToolMaker wrote:
Rent a Harley when you're in CO, cruise the mountain roads, maybe ride up Pikes Peak. The race is actually Jun 24, 2018. Probably something to...
Rent a Harley when you're in CO, cruise the mountain roads, maybe ride up Pikes Peak.
The race is actually Jun 24, 2018. Probably something to see.
Would definitely look into doing that! They're quite cheap to hire too. Around 80 USD a day. Yeah the trip route may slightly change due to the nationals calendar!
mingham97
10/2/2017 6:04pm
newmann wrote:
IH10 as soon as you hit Texas will bring you right past my house. Some good Cajun food nearby if you desire the mud bugs. [img]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/0b/0e/de/0b0ede1923e229167ec2d3aeddae5ca6.jpg[/img]...
IH10 as soon as you hit Texas will bring you right past my house. Some good Cajun food nearby if you desire the mud bugs.

Your path from Houston to Dallas, may I ask why? Keep heading west from Houston and hit the Texas Hill Country. Head to Shiner and sample some beer at the brewery

On your way to Luling stop at Bucee's for fuel and road snacks. It's a little Texas gas station...with 132 gas pumps. Hit Luling City Market for BBQ

on your way to Lockhart for your choice of Smitty's

Blacks

or Kreuz Mkt.

Head in to Austin for a bit of the nightlife down around Sixth Street.

Then head on out towards Fredericksburg for some quality hill country time. Cabins, B&B's, wineries, vodka distilleries, bourbon, beer, antiques and some scenic driving.

You could hit the Pacific War Museum

while the missus shops on main street

before heading out on the Texas wine trail

or Vodka

or Bourbon

or beer at the Twisted X

Drive out on the twisted sisters highways and Enchanted Rock

Grab a cabin at Baron's Creek
Those Texas road houses certainly look fun! Might have to set up an air mattress in the back of the car to sober up and slip into a food coma after a "quick stop". Maybe I should look at spending a heap of time in Texas and spend a few days doing the brewery, bourbon and wine tours etc. All those places look awesome...and Baron's Creek looks like something out of a movie! LaughingLaughing

Museums and natural history are definitely on the radar, so the Pacific War Museum is definitely on the short list.
MR. X
10/2/2017 6:32pm
MR. X wrote:
Do you fish ? Depending on the time of year you are near Niagara falls ,i think i could get you on some 25 pound salmon...
mingham97 wrote:
Sure do! Here in Australia we get the foul tasting Western Australian Salmon. They do get quite big but would love to get onto some Niagra...
Sure do! Here in Australia we get the foul tasting Western Australian Salmon. They do get quite big but would love to get onto some Niagra Falls style! This is a photo from when I was 16, the last time I went fishing for salmon.

I wanna say this was just over 20 ,it was a few years ago . This time of the year is the salmon run up the river . The other seasons still provide excellent fishing though , we have monster small mouth , steelhead,lake trout ,a few musky. Just depends on the time of year.

mingham97
10/2/2017 6:47pm
bigmaico wrote:
Mingham97, If & when you get closer to this trip, Let me know when you'll be in Houston,TX "Interests include MX, swimming, running, biking, relaxing, beer...
Mingham97,

"Interests include MX, swimming, running, biking, relaxing, beer, bourbon and good food"

These can all be done at Historic Rio Bravo, as they have a pool & we can cook up some Tex-Mex.

I should be able to hook you up with a ride for a day or 2, It might be My Vintage 490 Maico or who knows what?
I will definitely dig up this thread in the near future and will get in touch with anyone willing to show us around! That would be absolutely awesome bigmaico! Rio Bravo looks awesome! Pool and MX track!
F.B
10/2/2017 6:49pm
Just curious, why Miami?
mingham97
10/2/2017 7:42pm
MR. X wrote:
mingham97 wrote:
Sure do! Here in Australia we get the foul tasting Western Australian Salmon. They do get quite big but would love to get onto some Niagra...

MR. X wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/10/02/217936/s1200_100_0019.jpg[/img] I wanna say this was just over 20 ,it was a few years ago . This time of the year is the salmon run up...

I wanna say this was just over 20 ,it was a few years ago . This time of the year is the salmon run up the river . The other seasons still provide excellent fishing though , we have monster small mouth , steelhead,lake trout ,a few musky. Just depends on the time of year.

That is huge! Are they good eating?
mingham97
10/2/2017 7:50pm
F.B wrote:
Just curious, why Miami?
Just to check it out mostly and see what it's about! Buy a few cigars, sit at the beach, check out their aquarium. I won't spend too long there unless there is something unique to do.
captmoto
10/2/2017 8:41pm
imoto34 wrote:
Yosemite National Park.
mingham97 wrote:
Oh that place is definitely going on the list
You need to get a head start and reserve a camp spot. You can't just pull in and camp. You also want spend a day at Tuolmne Meadows. It is the eastern portal of Yosemite. If you time it right you can head over the mountain and catch the Mammoth Motocross. It is usually in June,
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
10/2/2017 9:09pm
i have done some of the same roads, the Jack Daniels factory is well worth the stop, and also the Corvette museum in Bowling Green Kentucky is great if you are into cars,

l love road tripping in the US, i usually go for motorsport events, mx, nascar dirt track anything with wheels,
MR. X
10/3/2017 2:44am
mingham97 wrote:
That is huge! Are they good eating?
Not the big ones, the one year olds are the ones i would eat if i was interested in dragging one back to the top .
TXDirt
10/3/2017 7:43am
What about the Catalina Wine mixer?
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
10/3/2017 11:41am
F.B wrote:
Just curious, why Miami?
mingham97 wrote:
Just to check it out mostly and see what it's about! Buy a few cigars, sit at the beach, check out their aquarium. I won't spend...
Just to check it out mostly and see what it's about! Buy a few cigars, sit at the beach, check out their aquarium. I won't spend too long there unless there is something unique to do.
You're going to drive the length of Florida and back just to check it out and see what there is to do?? Blink
Hahahaa, good for you, friend, but that's almost like driving from Brisbane to Sydney and back! No complaints though; enjoy your trip! Try some Cuban food when you're down there.

You should check out San Diego before you leave LAX.

mingham97
10/3/2017 5:26pm
scott_nz wrote:
i have done some of the same roads, the Jack Daniels factory is well worth the stop, and also the Corvette museum in Bowling Green Kentucky...
i have done some of the same roads, the Jack Daniels factory is well worth the stop, and also the Corvette museum in Bowling Green Kentucky is great if you are into cars,

l love road tripping in the US, i usually go for motorsport events, mx, nascar dirt track anything with wheels,
Yeah definitely planning on stopping at the jacks factory to stock up!

Yeah the motorsport is a huge contributing factor as to why i wanna go. Will hopefully catch a heap of it while im there!
JAFO92
10/3/2017 6:15pm
If you go through Houston, shoot me a message and lets go ride at Rio Bravo.
JAFO92
10/3/2017 6:18pm
bigmaico wrote:
Mingham97, If & when you get closer to this trip, Let me know when you'll be in Houston,TX "Interests include MX, swimming, running, biking, relaxing, beer...
Mingham97,

^ This right here !

Post a reply to: Aussies coming to the USA

The Latest