Bow Hunters

JRT812
8/7/2020 6:54pm Edited Date/Time 10/21/2020 9:38pm
Never shot a bow before until 2 weeks ago. It was a blast! Found this old Mathews switchback and paid 200 for it after being measured.

I need to get it restrung, but outside of that what should I do to it? Completely new to this and open to any suggestions to make it better. Probably the first thing I will update is the sight. Has some bone collector 4 pin sight on it. I will get it restrung and add a peep sight and some string silencers. I really enjoyed the one pin sight on the bow I shot with a peep sight

|
JeremyK
8/7/2020 7:11pm
Make sure its the proper draw length ,that will be the most important thing . Archery and bowhunting is my wheel house ,don't hesitate to ask any questions . Welcome to the club ,its so addicting. If you have the choice of string builders go with a company called Freedom Strings ,half the price of the big name places and just as good.
JRT812
8/7/2020 7:52pm Edited Date/Time 8/7/2020 7:57pm
JeremyK wrote:
Make sure its the proper draw length ,that will be the most important thing . Archery and bowhunting is my wheel house ,don't hesitate to ask...
Make sure its the proper draw length ,that will be the most important thing . Archery and bowhunting is my wheel house ,don't hesitate to ask any questions . Welcome to the club ,its so addicting. If you have the choice of string builders go with a company called Freedom Strings ,half the price of the big name places and just as good.
Thanks my man! Dude who measured me at the local bass pro said two things: Mathews bow run 1/2 inch long and his measurement of myself was in the range of 27.5 - 28.5. And I was good to purchase the bow. It’s an old bow but seemed good at first glance

The bow I bought is at 27.
JeremyK
8/7/2020 8:23pm
That bow will be just fine, it's still a good bow even compared to modern bows. A touch short isnt so bad ,you can make up a half inch just from the D loop.
wwdiii
8/9/2020 5:33am
I like to bow hunt, I have three compound bows rigged IP and one recurve.

Bow season can be hot in Southeast Texas, but I still like to bow hunt. Hope to get more time off this year during season.

The Shop

JRT812
8/9/2020 5:22pm
JeremyK wrote:
That bow will be just fine, it's still a good bow even compared to modern bows. A touch short isnt so bad ,you can make up...
That bow will be just fine, it's still a good bow even compared to modern bows. A touch short isnt so bad ,you can make up a half inch just from the D loop.
Hey my man... do you have a good reference on a one pin sight? I think I prefer that over the sight that in currently on the bow. Seems easier to focus
SEEMEFIRST
8/9/2020 6:47pm
I've never used a single pin sight.
How do you compensate for distance, or elevation?
JeremyK
8/9/2020 7:39pm
Typically a one pin sight will be adjustable via a wheel or a slider , the sight will come with numbered set up tapes ,you sight in at 20 and mark the tape ,then you sight in at 60 and mark the tape . The difference between the 2 marks you have on the numbered set up tape will correspond with the proper tape for your set up . I shoot 3D leagues with the same bow I hunt with ,my sight is an HHA 3 pin . My top pin is adjustable from 20 out to 80 yards . However, when I'm hunting ,I set the dial at 20 yards and my top pin is set for 20 yards and then I have a 30 and 40 yard pin . You should look at an HHA adjustable single pin ,they have different levels depending on how much money you want to spend ,I've been shooting them with no issues as well as guys on my 3D league team also with zero issues.
mxracer816
Fantasy
2838th
8/10/2020 6:35am
mxracer816 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/08/10/442981/s1200_IMG_20200810_083006_2.jpg[/img]

Anyone shoot a recurve? I just inherited this one from my late father in law. Looks to be a man's bow lol! 83#@28" geez!
JeremyK
8/10/2020 6:51am
I have one that was my father's but I have zero interest in shooting it. Some of those recurve pull ridiculous poundage and shoot some really heavy arrows.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
595th
8/10/2020 7:03am
Don't forget the fun factor of skinning your arm with a recurve. I used to do it all the time as a kid and it hurts like hell.
SEEMEFIRST
8/10/2020 7:09am
mxracer816 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/08/10/442981/s1200_IMG_20200810_083006_2.jpg[/img]

mxracer816 wrote:
Anyone shoot a recurve? I just inherited this one from my late father in law. Looks to be a man's bow lol! 83#@28" geez!
Jeezus!
I've got an old Hoyt compound that is 75#.
I can't hardly shoot it anymore.
Now way I'm holding that recurve.
Team Ideal
8/10/2020 7:51am Edited Date/Time 8/10/2020 7:55am
If you're looking for a single pin check out the Black Gold Ascent Verdict. I like it a lot. Like mentioned HHA makes good sights also. I use the Black Gold for winter league but use a Trophy Ridge React V5 for hunting. I feel like the vertical pins give you a more open viewing. I recommend finding a good local dealer and staying away from the big chain stores. You will find they normally take much better care of you. It's a great sport, have fun, enjoy it.

I'd look into a good drop away rest also. I use a Ripcord. QAD is also very popular. I've just never been a fan of the Whisker Biscuit but if you like it then shoot it.
JeremyK
8/10/2020 7:57am Edited Date/Time 8/10/2020 7:59am
Team Ideal wrote:
If you're looking for a single pin check out the Black Gold Ascent Verdict. I like it a lot. Like mentioned HHA makes good sights also...
If you're looking for a single pin check out the Black Gold Ascent Verdict. I like it a lot. Like mentioned HHA makes good sights also. I use the Black Gold for winter league but use a Trophy Ridge React V5 for hunting. I feel like the vertical pins give you a more open viewing. I recommend finding a good local dealer and staying away from the big chain stores. You will find they normally take much better care of you. It's a great sport, have fun, enjoy it.

I'd look into a good drop away rest also. I use a Ripcord. QAD is also very popular. I've just never been a fan of the Whisker Biscuit but if you like it then shoot it.
I had the ascent 3 pin ,the thing I didnt like about it was the has marks to adjust the yardage were super small and close together . Otherwise I loved it ,I really loved that the dimness auto adjusts . I actually machine an adapter to I could use the black gold housing on my HHA and used that for a little while.
JeremyK
8/10/2020 8:12am

Markee
Fantasy
2006th
8/11/2020 5:48am
Ditch that whisker biscuit rest. When you get it restrung, get them to tie in a drop rest. I use Quality Archery Designs rest and have worked flawless. HHA single pin sight has been great too.

BTW, I have the same bow, the switchback is one of the smoothest bows.

Get ya some!

JeremyK
8/11/2020 6:21am
My last 5 bows have had a qda drop away rest ,if I was only hunting I would use a whisker biscuit ,I think the simplicity is great for backyard shooting and hunting .
Markee
Fantasy
2006th
8/11/2020 12:20pm
What you shooting now Jeremy?
JeremyK
8/11/2020 2:03pm
Markee wrote:
What you shooting now Jeremy?
I've been on the Elite bandwagon for the last few years . I went to an Energy 35 last year ,its been working out so I'll probably keep this one a other year or two.
Oldschool
8/26/2020 7:03pm Edited Date/Time 8/27/2020 4:53pm

Just switched to a crossbow...over (30 years, DOH edit 1989 -2019 ) years with a bow
Shotgun (slug) season was "o.k" over the years...nothing beats a Bow though.
The Real Deal...
JRT812
9/5/2020 6:21pm
So far being new to the bow experience here are my ups and downs:

I had no idea what to look for when buying a used bow. My experience, check for burs on the cams.

Use a local shop who was pushed my way instead of going with a big box store closer to my house

Pick a good release

Outside, of wasting money on string, d loops, arrows and multiple release, it has been fun

Ready to purchase something new. Shots are around 40 yards

JRT812
9/5/2020 6:25pm

String was 3 weeks old and no warranty. Lesson learned
JeremyK
9/5/2020 7:19pm
That sucks man, who was the string builder? My advice if you are still trying to work on a budget is join Archery Talk ,once you find a bow you like ,you can get killer deals in the classified section I've bought my last 5 bows from there . Another great option that wont break the bank is find an Elite dealer and check out their new Elite valor. Elites will never win a speed but they build the best hunting bow by far ,smooth draw and super easy to hold at full draw .
JRT812
9/14/2020 4:18pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2020 4:19pm
JeremyK wrote:
That sucks man, who was the string builder? My advice if you are still trying to work on a budget is join Archery Talk ,once you...
That sucks man, who was the string builder? My advice if you are still trying to work on a budget is join Archery Talk ,once you find a bow you like ,you can get killer deals in the classified section I've bought my last 5 bows from there . Another great option that wont break the bank is find an Elite dealer and check out their new Elite valor. Elites will never win a speed but they build the best hunting bow by far ,smooth draw and super easy to hold at full draw .
Don’t remember his name but it was a “local” pro shop. They are a Mathews dealer that I thought I would try out. A few buddies told me to go to another shop, but decided not to because I hate driving that way. The construction traffic is awful.... I took it to that shop and should pick it up Wednesday. They have been really helpful. Hopefully better luck this go around.

Almost had the wife sold on me getting a vxr 28 outfitted with some nice stuff. She eventually said no because I am about to get my boy and girl a crf50
JRT812
9/14/2020 4:22pm
Oh JeremyK, I will be joining the site tonight and appreciate the direction!
JeremyK
9/14/2020 5:01pm
JRT812 wrote:
Good deal , unfortunately they recently changed their format and did away with the user feedback . You can still go in the members profiles and read their posts to get an idea of what kind of person you're dealing with and how much they sell in the classifieds.
JRT812
9/14/2020 5:36pm
JRT812 wrote:
JeremyK wrote:
Good deal , unfortunately they recently changed their format and did away with the user feedback . You can still go in the members profiles and...
Good deal , unfortunately they recently changed their format and did away with the user feedback . You can still go in the members profiles and read their posts to get an idea of what kind of person you're dealing with and how much they sell in the classifieds.
Threadz were the strings they sold me.... not sure if you have any opinion on them or not
JeremyK
9/14/2020 6:26pm
JRT812 wrote:
JeremyK wrote:
Good deal , unfortunately they recently changed their format and did away with the user feedback . You can still go in the members profiles and...
JRT812 wrote:
Threadz were the strings they sold me.... not sure if you have any opinion on them or not
Honestly i don't ,there so many good string builders now , the materials they use now are so good and as long as the builder knows how to read a tape you can get good strings . I've been using Freedom Strings .
JRT812
9/14/2020 6:55pm
JeremyK wrote:
JRT812 wrote:
JeremyK wrote:
Honestly i don't ,there so many good string builders now , the materials they use now are so good and as long as the builder knows...
Honestly i don't ,there so many good string builders now , the materials they use now are so good and as long as the builder knows how to read a tape you can get good strings . I've been using Freedom Strings .
Well if turns out bad this go around I’ll request them. Even though this pro shop is “mom & pop” they have been great to deal with.
gt80rider
9/15/2020 9:10am
Been bow shoot'n/hunt'n for over 45 years.... Now days all I shoot is re-curve.... Compound when I need to eat... re-curves when relaxation/practice.....

Man, the local ranges are being overtaken by cross-bow shooters now days.... even easier than compound... LOL... lazy people.......

Post a reply to: Bow Hunters

The Latest