COFFEE DRINKERS HELP?

Edited Date/Time 11/16/2018 9:31am
Ok Moto buds,
its that time of year to start buying Christmas gifts for my family and my step father is a big coffee drinker (all he pretty much drinks). Any of you guys have any recommendations on what type/kind is the best for someone who loves his coffee? I was looking at maybe the black rifle coffee company seeing he was in the navy and think he would like the Branding? I'm not a big drinker of the stuff so please any info will be appreciated.
|
TXDirt
11/15/2018 7:53am
Does he like making coffee or just drinking coffee?

When we make coffee we use either a french press or we will use our Espresso machine, which we absolutely love.
11/15/2018 8:46am Edited Date/Time 11/15/2018 9:46am
This could get slippery. If he brews his own he could be a special breed of coffee snob. Better do some reconnassaince at his house to see how he does it. If he’s got some $1500 machine...or he’s doing some swirling and wait action...pause.... Swirling and wait......well good luck you ain’t making him happy . Lol.

If he doesn’t. Get him a new French press. I use whole beans from speeder and earls in Vermont. (I Buy in bulk bags) I grind the beans right before I brew.

So if he’s got a fancy machine that already grinds the beans. You could buy him a to go set up. Manual coffee grinder and a durable French press for travel or power outages. (And Not a cheap ass French press)
TX24
11/15/2018 9:17am
Yes, we just buy our beans from the local store and grind enough before each pot with a simple grinder.

The Shop

newmann
11/15/2018 9:19am
Local company here in Texas, gift packs are available as well as individual items. Check out the site, get him some Steak Seasoning and some coffee. I don't drink the stuff but I do love me some dark beer made with coffee...maybe that's another thought if he also likes beer.

https://www.seaportcoffee.com/merchandise-gifts
brlatm
11/15/2018 9:49am
Black Rifle is Awesome! Highly recommend it.
11/15/2018 9:51am
Well if we are changing from morning brew to evening brew....

Get him a case of this

11/15/2018 10:00am
Haha Thanks guys, he doesn't drink beer but loves his coffee like a mofo, I'll check the link out newmann. barltm I was hoping someone has tried it, saw the variety pack they have on the website I thought about getting for him. I got some info, he drinks boring old "donut shop" style from walmart or whatever. I just thought maybe he would like to try something different on occasion. (found out he doesn't grind his own either) but thanks for chiming in georgie....
11/15/2018 10:05am Edited Date/Time 11/15/2018 10:09am
Shit you’re gonna look like a king for $35. Get him a tea kettle, grinder.Small bag of whole bean, and a French press. Make his first cup. You’ll be his favorite son for life. For life!

Or he will be like too fandy for me. Thanks for the thought tho!
peelout
11/15/2018 10:26am Edited Date/Time 11/15/2018 10:31am
TXDirt wrote:
Does he like making coffee or just drinking coffee? When we make coffee we use either a french press or we will use our Espresso machine...

When we make coffee we use either a french press or we will use our Espresso machine, which we absolutely love.
see, i'm a cheap drip-coffee drinker.

i hate to make it, but love to drink it. i usually buy Folgers, but this week i bought Kroger brand and love it. i put cream in it and could drink 10 cups per morning. all in all i'm $40 in my machine and 12.00 per month in coffee. i would laugh if someone bought me a fancy machine/french press. i'm a simple man. i bought a Keurig and made 3 cups with it and gave it away. fuckin' hated the taste.

i've thought about brewing my own beer, but it sounds like it takes a long time and i just like getting blasted
11/15/2018 10:35am Edited Date/Time 11/15/2018 10:36am
Ha. Presses can be had for $12-30.

Keurigs suck. The coffee is like drinking brown water. It’s terrible.
peelout
11/15/2018 10:47am
Ha. Presses can be had for $12-30.

Keurigs suck. The coffee is like drinking brown water. It’s terrible.
dude, i drag my ass to bed at midnight and pre-program my coffee maker to go off at 6. then i get up and wander like a zombie, pour a cup and somber into the shower. i'd probably ride a quad before i buy a fedora and press my coffee.
11/15/2018 10:48am
peelout wrote:
see, i'm a cheap drip-coffee drinker. i hate to make it, but love to drink it. i usually buy Folgers, but this week i bought Kroger...

i hate to make it, but love to drink it. i usually buy Folgers, but this week i bought Kroger brand and love it. i put cream in it and could drink 10 cups per morning. all in all i'm $40 in my machine and 12.00 per month in coffee. i would laugh if someone bought me a fancy machine/french press. i'm a simple man. i bought a Keurig and made 3 cups with it and gave it away. fuckin' hated the taste.

i've thought about brewing my own beer, but it sounds like it takes a long time and i just like getting blasted
Peely you sound just like him, he's the same way.... I was just looking for tips on a good brand he can try and enjoy on occasion instead of the same old.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
11/15/2018 10:55am
I don't drink coffee but my cousin really likes Nabob. My mom tried it when she went over to visit and liked it as well.

And it wouldn't be a Canadian suggestion if I didn't mention Tim Horton's.
TXDirt
11/15/2018 10:59am
TXDirt wrote:
Does he like making coffee or just drinking coffee? When we make coffee we use either a french press or we will use our Espresso machine...

peelout wrote:
see, i'm a cheap drip-coffee drinker. i hate to make it, but love to drink it. i usually buy Folgers, but this week i bought Kroger...

The french press is the simplest form of coffee making really and produces excellent results. I'm with you on the Keurig. They suck! We have one at work and I never use it. Give a simple french press a try. It's quick and easy. We use our drip coffee maker if we have guests over who drink a lot of coffee. I love some fresh ground pecan maple nut out of it.

Me and my wife drink one or two cups a day. So we like a quality brew without a lot of waste and the french press is perfect for that. Since we don't drink a lot of coffee the Espresso machine is perfect when we want something high-end. Wife makes a great espresso with frothed milk on the top. I'm not a coffee snob by any means but it tastes great!
peelout
11/15/2018 11:00am Edited Date/Time 11/15/2018 11:00am
peelout wrote:

Peely you sound just like him, he's the same way.... I was just looking for tips on a good brand he can try and enjoy on...
Peely you sound just like him, he's the same way.... I was just looking for tips on a good brand he can try and enjoy on occasion instead of the same old.
if it were me i'd appreciate someone buying me some fancy pre-ground coffee from a coffee shop. every now and then i'll pop $15 for a bag of coffee.

maybe buy him a badass YETI coffee mug (mine is the shit, stays hot for an insanely long time), a bag of coffee, and a box of cigars. sometimes i'll puff a cigar while sipping my coffee on my deck. makes me feel like a fuckin' cowboy.
11/15/2018 11:09am Edited Date/Time 11/15/2018 11:14am
See that’s the mistake. Never Pre-grind. oxygen and light will destroy that grind. Store in total darkness. Grind at last minute!!!! Go whole bean!

I’ve actually become pretty good about routine making.

Wake up. 1/4 cup beans. Grind. 2 12 oz cups in the tea kettle. Go back to my morning routine. When kettle whistles. Pour into press. Stir. Walk away and if I want strong coffee let it steep for 10 minutes. If I don’t want strong. Let it steep for 3-4. Pour on my way out the door. Multi-task. But it’s worth it. Whole new experience on the coffee.

I think doing this has ruined me. Because I can’t drink drip at work. It’s too weak. I just need one hard hitter instead of 5 cups of weak sauce.
whyZ
11/15/2018 11:20am
I'm an instant coffee type. But to Georgie's point, we have a coffee maker at out place down south that you scoop the full beans into. Grinds it into the paper filter then drip process's it all in the same machine. The Dunkin Doughnut brand, good stuff.
murph783
11/15/2018 2:44pm
With the French press, can you do the same thing with cold water? I’ve always been an iced coffee guy, but I wouldn’t be opposed to grinding my own beans and making it in a press if it’s significantly better than drip
brlatm
11/15/2018 3:52pm
I switched to BRCC about 2 years ago, buy the variety pack online. Let him figure out which one out of the Silencer Smooth, Basic Black, AK47 or Caffeinated as Fuck he likes. I personally like the SS and CAF myself the best.

I know Iwreckalot bought some as well, maybe he will chime in and see which one he prefers. He sampled some of mine and I think I got his redneck ass hooked on it.

I ran out here at work so I'm drinking Tim Hortons right now, shoutout to Maverick. You betcha! eh'
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
11/15/2018 4:24pm
I’ve gotten the Black Rifle for a few family members and it’s getting rave reviews. The packaging is cool and as far as I can tell it is excellent coffee. I order the package where you get to sample 4 of the blends
Crush
11/15/2018 4:37pm
See if you can find the regular beans he makes up and them buy the premium version or a selection of premiums from the company.

OR get the ones that the ocelots eat and shit out for enhanced flavour. You know, Step Dad and all.
dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
11/15/2018 5:12pm
go to starbucks ...have them grind some blonde for the auto coffee maker..they will put it in a "no light bag"...then go get him some coffee ice cream also..everybody loves ice cream.
11/15/2018 5:53pm
Ebs wrote:
If he's a gadget and tinkerer type, get him an Aeropress. They're like $30 buck and actually have a pretty strong coffee snob hipster following. https://www.amazon.com/AeroPress-Coffee-and-Espresso-Maker/dp/B0047BIWSK...
If he's a gadget and tinkerer type, get him an Aeropress. They're like $30 buck and actually have a pretty strong coffee snob hipster following.

https://www.amazon.com/AeroPress-Coffee-and-Espresso-Maker/dp/B0047BIWSK

I dunno even that looks weak. I like coffee to look like used motor oil. Black.
reded
11/15/2018 9:46pm
I’m with Peely on this one. If it involves too much hassle I won’t fuck with it. I drink the shit hot and black, no sugar or cream of any kind. Normally drink Maxwell House out of a 10cup Mr. Coffee but IMO, (I don’t know where they get the stuff) the best coffee is served at every greasy spoon breakfast joint all over America.
BTW, Keurigs belong in the dump, too much hassle for one cup of coffee. When I make coffee, I want the pot to last me a couple of hours, not minutes.
bradnelson
11/16/2018 5:48am
I almost regret the day I started grinding my own coffee. Now, everything else tastes like crap.

Fresh ground or nothing !!

Post a reply to: COFFEE DRINKERS HELP?

The Latest