Cataract Surgery - anyone have experience?

peelout
Edited Date/Time 3/13/2018 6:30pm
scheduled my cataract surgery for both eyes today. i'm 34 so it's a bummer to need the surgery so young. anyway, i'm thinking of going with the Symfony IOL. does anyone have any experience?

i considered doing one eye far sighted and one near sighted, but my lady's mom did that years ago and hates it.

if anyone has had cataract surgery i'd like to hear some of your thoughts. i'm scheduled for first of October and middle of October for the second eye.

thanks bros
|
borg
8/24/2017 5:43pm
I've never done one but I'll give it a shot.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
8/24/2017 6:41pm
Damn bro, sorry to hear that. My mom had IOL surgery done last year and I was surprised how fast she recovered (70 y/o). Just be prudent with the sprocket bolt torque and using the eye drops post-surgery for a month or so and you should be fine. Good luck!
JM485
8/24/2017 9:35pm
No experience here but good luck man, that's a crappy deal but I'm sure everything will go well. Anything having to do with eyes freaks me out, but they have everything down to such a science now I think you'll be all good in no time. It's gonna be weird in the neighborhood without the Peelbrobile Ridgeline tearing up the city streets I'm sure.
captmoto
8/24/2017 9:45pm
I had both eyes done at 55. It's really a no brainer. They should give you some good shit to take your mind off of the procedure and it's quick if you just chill. I remember my little procedure room being about 50 degrees. I got the basic lenses included in my insurance plan. The upgraded stuff was 4 grand per eye out of pocket. I also have other issues that are going on with my eyes that make me think I might be pretty well blind in 15 years.

The Shop

peelout
8/24/2017 11:21pm
borg wrote:
I've never done one but I'll give it a shot.
*eye'll

moran
peelout
8/24/2017 11:27pm
captmoto wrote:
I had both eyes done at 55. It's really a no brainer. They should give you some good shit to take your mind off of the...
I had both eyes done at 55. It's really a no brainer. They should give you some good shit to take your mind off of the procedure and it's quick if you just chill. I remember my little procedure room being about 50 degrees. I got the basic lenses included in my insurance plan. The upgraded stuff was 4 grand per eye out of pocket. I also have other issues that are going on with my eyes that make me think I might be pretty well blind in 15 years.
Thanks for the reply. To be honest, my right eye has gone from bad to worse and seems like I'm headed down the path of no eyesight. Right now with glasses it's 20/80. Yeah, my phone is 4 inches from my face as I write this.

As for the basic lens, my insurance covers it as well, I'm just nervous about the whole thing anyway and then I hear upgrade lens and wonder if I need the diamond lens while they're at it. I don't want to get a year or two down the road and wish I had done the "better" lens. Eyes are pretty damn special.
reded
8/25/2017 3:21am
No worries bro. My dad had it done last spring and said that it's been a life changer. He went from 20/70 in his worst eye (not sure of the number on the other) to now having 20/20 in both at 72yrs old. The worst part of the entire ordeal for him was not being able to mow his lawn for the 10 day healing process afterwards.
Hman144
Fantasy
714th
8/25/2017 6:24am
Your mom told you you'd go blind. But you just wouldn't listen, would you?

Seriously, best of luck with this. Eyesight is a precious gift and nothing to gamble with.
8/25/2017 10:44am
I'm 38 and was born with a cataract in my right eye. I had the surgery done about 9 years ago and I can say it slightly improved my vision. I guess the biggest thing is it's gone and it cant get any bigger now. The surgery wasn't too bad, it was painful but definetly wasn't comfortable either. The recovery lasted about a week or so.
IWreckALot
8/25/2017 10:50am
I imagine you looking something like this in real life.

I've got nothing to offer in the way of advice. I've got better than 20/20 vision. Pretty blessed in the vision category but damn it would suck to have a loss of vision. Good luck for real man.

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
8/26/2017 6:03am
I had laser eye surgery 2 years ago and all I had was a little discomfort for a couple of days. Now I know you're getting a different type of surgery but if it's anything similar you'll be fine.

On second thought if you haven't looked it up on YouTube already, I say keep it that way. Sometimes it's better to not know how things are done. I looked up my surgery before having it done and on the day of surgery I was a little tense. I have anxiety issues so that didn't help.
Hman144
Fantasy
714th
10/4/2017 11:26am
Peely- have your surgery? How's it going?
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
10/4/2017 2:10pm
No Cataract. Just Rincoln.
peelout
10/4/2017 8:32pm
Had my right eye done yesterday, still on the healing process. Everything went really well, I went with an upgraded lens. I've only had my right eye done so far, left side in two weeks.

So before surgery, my right eye couldn't see the big E at all. I knew what it was but I couldn't see it. This morning, 24 hours after surgery, my right eye cleared 20/20. It's unreal. Never in my life have I been able to see like this. Now I can't wait to do the left eye!

Thanks for asking bro! Best decision I've made health wise.
JM485
10/4/2017 8:42pm
peelout wrote:
Had my right eye done yesterday, still on the healing process. Everything went really well, I went with an upgraded lens. I've only had my right...
Had my right eye done yesterday, still on the healing process. Everything went really well, I went with an upgraded lens. I've only had my right eye done so far, left side in two weeks.

So before surgery, my right eye couldn't see the big E at all. I knew what it was but I couldn't see it. This morning, 24 hours after surgery, my right eye cleared 20/20. It's unreal. Never in my life have I been able to see like this. Now I can't wait to do the left eye!

Good to hear bro, glad everything went well. Good luck on the next one and enjoy your new eyes, those digital torque wrenches aren't going to read themselves.
captmoto
10/7/2017 8:43am
peelout wrote:
Had my right eye done yesterday, still on the healing process. Everything went really well, I went with an upgraded lens. I've only had my right...

Good, glad it worked. Now before you ask the stupidest question ever, no riding until the doc says it's OK. I had pretty good vision before but I could not drive at night due to bright halos fro oncoming traffic. I even had to dim my dash lights. My wife did all the driving if we went anywhere at night. I just had an eye exam and was 20/25 in the left eye and 20/20 in the right, I still get an occasional halo from the left eye but all is good now.
peelout
10/9/2017 10:12am
peelout wrote:

captmoto wrote:
Good, glad it worked. Now before you ask the stupidest question ever, no riding until the doc says it's OK. I had pretty good vision before...
Good, glad it worked. Now before you ask the stupidest question ever, no riding until the doc says it's OK. I had pretty good vision before but I could not drive at night due to bright halos fro oncoming traffic. I even had to dim my dash lights. My wife did all the driving if we went anywhere at night. I just had an eye exam and was 20/25 in the left eye and 20/20 in the right, I still get an occasional halo from the left eye but all is good now.
still dealing with some halo driving at night, but it doesn't help that i still need my left eye done (October 17).
peelout
10/19/2017 3:37pm
little update, had my second eye (left) surgery on Tuesday and everything went well. i'm now seeing 20/20 out of both eyes. it's been a game changer. previously i was around 20/400 and worse in the right eye without correction lenses.

like i said earlier, i went with the Symfony lens which is a multi-focal lens. meaning i have amazing intermediate (arm length) and out vision. everything inside an arms length starts to get a little fuzzy. seeing as i golf, ride dirtbikes, mountain bike, etc... it's been a fine trade-off. i wear a pair of 1.50 readers at work to clean up the paperwork and computer vision.

anyhoo, 10/10 would recommend
Jrewing
10/20/2017 3:12am
peelout wrote:
little update, had my second eye (left) surgery on Tuesday and everything went well. i'm now seeing 20/20 out of both eyes. it's been a game...
little update, had my second eye (left) surgery on Tuesday and everything went well. i'm now seeing 20/20 out of both eyes. it's been a game changer. previously i was around 20/400 and worse in the right eye without correction lenses.

like i said earlier, i went with the Symfony lens which is a multi-focal lens. meaning i have amazing intermediate (arm length) and out vision. everything inside an arms length starts to get a little fuzzy. seeing as i golf, ride dirtbikes, mountain bike, etc... it's been a fine trade-off. i wear a pair of 1.50 readers at work to clean up the paperwork and computer vision.

Does it help with your riding much? Clarity focus processing stuff easier?
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
10/20/2017 7:31am Edited Date/Time 10/20/2017 7:34am
peelout wrote:
little update, had my second eye (left) surgery on Tuesday and everything went well. i'm now seeing 20/20 out of both eyes. it's been a game...

Jrewing wrote:
So you will still need your glasses to read that torque wrench? You know.. For those sprockets bolts and all..Blink

Anyways you got to be happy this is all done.
peelout
10/20/2017 9:15am
peelout wrote:

Jrewing wrote:
actually i won't be able to ride or do anything physically taxing for a few more weeks. i'm really looking forward to being able to ride without contacts though, the dust in the eyes is the absolute worst. i'll check back with an update after riding.

and i don't need to see the torque wrench read-out, i became one with the torque long ago
SwayLocks
2/21/2018 5:35pm Edited Date/Time 2/21/2018 5:36pm
Hey man I was wondering if you can give an update about how your vision is holding up now that it’s been several months for your cataract surgery with the Symfony Lens... I’m really young like you at 27 years old and have To get cataract surgery really soon too.

How’s your night vision with halos and rings?.. do you have any issues driving at night or going out under bright stadium arena lights etc? Do you have any problems watching movies/ computer with dark/light high contrast visuals and glare?

I am really leaning towards choosing the Symfony for myself as well because I also do a lot of mountain biking, dirt bike and scuba diving. I think that having extra range with the Symfony would be a more beneficial for those activities than a standard monofocal lens. im glad to hear that you had successful results so far.
2/22/2018 12:17pm Edited Date/Time 2/22/2018 12:20pm
peelout wrote:

Wife is an OR nurse. Glad you got the upgraded! Health insurance is worth it alone for the ortho procedures and specialty procedures for your eyes. She says the procedure is pretty cool and the patients are just flabbergasted after they fully heal.

That’s awesome you only need readers now up close. It’s probably a Whole new meaning to 4K for you eh?
Asimo
2/22/2018 1:36pm
I'm confused . The Symfony lens is the upgraded lens, or the diamond mentioned earlier? Or is the Dimond the Symfony?

peelout
2/23/2018 2:50pm
SwayLocks wrote:
Hey man I was wondering if you can give an update about how your vision is holding up now that it’s been several months for your...
Hey man I was wondering if you can give an update about how your vision is holding up now that it’s been several months for your cataract surgery with the Symfony Lens... I’m really young like you at 27 years old and have To get cataract surgery really soon too.

How’s your night vision with halos and rings?.. do you have any issues driving at night or going out under bright stadium arena lights etc? Do you have any problems watching movies/ computer with dark/light high contrast visuals and glare?

I am really leaning towards choosing the Symfony for myself as well because I also do a lot of mountain biking, dirt bike and scuba diving. I think that having extra range with the Symfony would be a more beneficial for those activities than a standard monofocal lens. im glad to hear that you had successful results so far.
ok, i'm going to try to answer all your questions the best i can.

27 years old? fuck man, i'm sorry. i'm 34 and thought that was way too young.

night vision and halos/rings... night vision is just ok. watching a movie in my dark basement on my new super bright TV is no problem. looking at christmas lights at night i can see the rings pretty clearly. grabbing my phone in the dark and trying to focus on the bright screen is a pain in the ass without readers. driving down the road at night with slight traffic is no problem. driving on the freeway at night in a snow-storm with other headlights is a pain in the ass.

day time everything is absolutely perfect. literally the only problem is that i have to carry some reading glasses with me anywhere i go. some restaurants have poor lighting so without my readers i'm fucked.

as for the activity side of life, i couldn't imagine not having it done now. mountain-biking, dirt bikes, swimming, snowmobiling, everything is a totally different and wonderful world. absolutely amazing going from my previous vision to now. no more contacts getting irritating or glasses to remove before diving in.

long story short, the Symfony lens is everything i wanted. the cons are FAR out-numbered by the pros.

11/10 would recommend.
peelout
2/23/2018 2:53pm
Wife is an OR nurse. Glad you got the upgraded! Health insurance is worth it alone for the ortho procedures and specialty procedures for your eyes...
Wife is an OR nurse. Glad you got the upgraded! Health insurance is worth it alone for the ortho procedures and specialty procedures for your eyes. She says the procedure is pretty cool and the patients are just flabbergasted after they fully heal.

That’s awesome you only need readers now up close. It’s probably a Whole new meaning to 4K for you eh?
tell your wife thanks to all of us who have to sit there before and after the procedure. getting the 80 drops before the procedure was a pain in the ass, the procedure sucked balls, and being uncomfortable afterwards sucked too. but my OR nurses were awesome and made the whole thing better.
ocscottie
2/25/2018 6:24am
The last couple tears i have had to get glasses (nearsighted really bad) and i hate them!!! What about Lasik Eye Surgery? Doubt my Medicare insurance covers it so i would have to pay out of pocket, is it affordable? and how scary of a surgery is it? I would really love to throw my glasses on the ground and roll over them about 10 times!
Timo_2824
2/25/2018 12:24pm
ocscottie wrote:
The last couple tears i have had to get glasses (nearsighted really bad) and i hate them!!! What about Lasik Eye Surgery? Doubt my Medicare insurance...
The last couple tears i have had to get glasses (nearsighted really bad) and i hate them!!! What about Lasik Eye Surgery? Doubt my Medicare insurance covers it so i would have to pay out of pocket, is it affordable? and how scary of a surgery is it? I would really love to throw my glasses on the ground and roll over them about 10 times!
I just had LASIK last April, so much better than glasses or contacts. Night vision with LASIK sounds similar to cataract surgery, at first I saw some rings and driving on a crowded road at night made me nervous, but it has gotten better over the last year.

Post a reply to: Cataract Surgery - anyone have experience?

The Latest