Cheesy stunts in movies

just James
6/20/2020 7:23am Edited Date/Time 6/22/2020 3:16pm
I can't be the only one who would like to see movies made with realistic stunts.
I totally lose interest when the movie completely loses touch with reality. The fight scene where two guys (or better yet, a man and a woman) beat on each other with crowbars for 5 minutes until the victor finally walks away seemingly unscathed. Or jumping from an elevated freeway, 80 feet onto a moving truck. Car jumps where they sail over multiple other vehicles, and maybe a building or two, only to land and keep driving.
Let's have some realistic explosions, rather than the giant fireball gas bombs that are always used.
I think that realistic stunts would make a scary movie much scarier.

BTW, the rest of my family would probably disagree. The more hokey the stunts, the better they seem to like the movie.
|
TXDirt
6/20/2020 8:05am
I enjoy today’s modern movies and all the special effects to a limited degree. I enjoy it more for the technical aspect and how they can do it more then anything.

I also enjoy putting on an older movie pre cgi. There is something enjoyable just watching actors act and directors direct. And the story stands on its own.

A lot of movies now a days have such terrible story line that it needs the cgi to make it remotely watchable.

But I’m with you, when the stunts or effects go so beyond the physics of reality then it just makes me tune it out.

There are many examples but one recent one is towards the end of the last Terminator movie that came out. There is an underwater fight scene. So you have this pretty much unstoppable terminator and this very unassuming girl with no experience or training and they are fighting underwater as a car she is riding in is sinking.

I get shampoo in my eyes taking a shower. Can you imagine having no underwater skills and fighting off a seemingly unstoppable terminator robot. And do all this under water???

Well she did it and won. Amazing....
APLMAN99
6/20/2020 8:36am
TXDirt wrote:
I enjoy today’s modern movies and all the special effects to a limited degree. I enjoy it more for the technical aspect and how they can...
I enjoy today’s modern movies and all the special effects to a limited degree. I enjoy it more for the technical aspect and how they can do it more then anything.

I also enjoy putting on an older movie pre cgi. There is something enjoyable just watching actors act and directors direct. And the story stands on its own.

A lot of movies now a days have such terrible story line that it needs the cgi to make it remotely watchable.

But I’m with you, when the stunts or effects go so beyond the physics of reality then it just makes me tune it out.

There are many examples but one recent one is towards the end of the last Terminator movie that came out. There is an underwater fight scene. So you have this pretty much unstoppable terminator and this very unassuming girl with no experience or training and they are fighting underwater as a car she is riding in is sinking.

I get shampoo in my eyes taking a shower. Can you imagine having no underwater skills and fighting off a seemingly unstoppable terminator robot. And do all this under water???

Well she did it and won. Amazing....
So the time travel, shape shifting, cyborg stuff is realistic enough, but being able to keep your eyes open underwater is just stretching reality way too far over the line.........

Yeah, I see the point!

😎
TXDirt
6/20/2020 9:28am
APLMAN99 wrote:
So the time travel, shape shifting, cyborg stuff is realistic enough, but being able to keep your eyes open underwater is just stretching reality way too...
So the time travel, shape shifting, cyborg stuff is realistic enough, but being able to keep your eyes open underwater is just stretching reality way too far over the line.........

Yeah, I see the point!

😎
Boston Dynamics is a lot closer to building a cyborg then that girl is to fighting off anything underwater. So which might be more believable....

Now the time travel stuff....
6/20/2020 8:33pm
just James wrote:
I can't be the only one who would like to see movies made with realistic stunts. I totally lose interest when the movie completely loses touch...
I can't be the only one who would like to see movies made with realistic stunts.
I totally lose interest when the movie completely loses touch with reality. The fight scene where two guys (or better yet, a man and a woman) beat on each other with crowbars for 5 minutes until the victor finally walks away seemingly unscathed. Or jumping from an elevated freeway, 80 feet onto a moving truck. Car jumps where they sail over multiple other vehicles, and maybe a building or two, only to land and keep driving.
Let's have some realistic explosions, rather than the giant fireball gas bombs that are always used.

BTW, the rest of my family would probably disagree. The more hokey the stunts, the better they seem to like the movie.
You just described every fast and furious movie bud...

The Shop

just James
6/21/2020 3:27am
just James wrote:
I can't be the only one who would like to see movies made with realistic stunts. I totally lose interest when the movie completely loses touch...

You just described every fast and furious movie bud...
Yeah, and apparently the vast majority of people eat that crap up.
Personally, I'd rather get a root canal than watch one of those.
tunedlength
6/21/2020 11:23am
The Jeep seat bounce was equally epic!
APLMAN99
6/21/2020 11:29am
[embed][/embed] This. This will never be beaten.

This. This will never be beaten.

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
6/21/2020 12:02pm

Stuntman posting an epic stunt. GrinningGrinning
6/21/2020 5:28pm
The problem with many movies today isn't necessarily the use of cgi, but the utter abuse of it. They just can't seem to resist going too far with it so that many scenes look like a washed out video game cut-scene, and/or the physicality of what you're witnessing just isn't believable to begin with. I didn't even bother watching the last Terminator movie despite being a huge fan of the series, but the one prior to that (Genisys) was so laughably ridiculous that at no point could any tension be created. The characters couldn't survive in my universe what I was witnessing them go through.

Then you take something on the opposite end of the scale like this that was created through practical effects and stuntman (athletes), careful camera work and choreography etc - and it's visually gripping from start to finish, even out of context to the story.

avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
6/21/2020 9:40pm
As someone who literally grew up in the "biz", it has gotten way out of hand. One thing the 'Rona will do is make shows go back to a more practical production model based on good writing. I cannot stand CGI, and think it just masks terrible scripts and production value.. Even on Star Trek 1st Contact we did some CGI, but most of it was mostly practical and it all helped the story. When the audience says out loud "that's not real, and would never happen" it kills everything.

That's what I loved about Varsity Blues, it was all practical, we didn't use any CGI on that. Just good script, good acting, and good direction. And Editing. Wink
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2779th
6/22/2020 5:09am
Extraction is the latest movie I've seen that has absolute garbage stunts and action. Alot of people are into the John Wick movies for their stunts, but I found them pretty ordinary also.
6/22/2020 5:45am

-MAVERICK- wrote:
Stuntman posting an epic stunt. GrinningGrinning
Indian version of Stoker Ace when he slides - think it was a YZ - under the truck.
JAFO92
6/22/2020 6:22am Edited Date/Time 6/22/2020 8:50am
How many of you grew up thinking Miles Quade was a badass !

Hes got this sweet Bob Hannah'esque leather riding suit, hot girlfriend with a premo rack and afro and did all kinda cool stunts on his bike. And even when he crashed on the Loop-de-Loop, he got up and walked away like a boss.

https://youtu.be/wkPD1_giwgY

Richard Roundtree was the coolest cat ever.

Robgvx
6/28/2020 5:33pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2020 5:35pm
The “Fall Guy” producers deserve an honorable mention.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0dxtiOqK8qg
Now, I’ve learned from Seat Bounce class here at Vital that a bike can’t bounce off the ground because the shock has rebound damping. So what’s going on with that truck?
SEEMEFIRST
6/28/2020 6:01pm
The “Fall Guy” producers deserve an honorable mention.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0dxtiOqK8qg
Robgvx wrote:
Now, I’ve learned from Seat Bounce class here at Vital that a bike can’t bounce off the ground because the shock has rebound damping. So what’s...
Now, I’ve learned from Seat Bounce class here at Vital that a bike can’t bounce off the ground because the shock has rebound damping. So what’s going on with that truck?
Mostly tire bounce.
The suspension back then ain't what it is today.
MasonMan
6/28/2020 7:14pm
Most have no idea what this Man has done for stunts in Movies.No Trickery involved. like todays Green screen
BS. Dude has pure balls to make this work

Post a reply to: Cheesy stunts in movies

The Latest