Cordless tools

mauidex
Edited Date/Time 9/30/2017 2:15pm
any thoughts or opinions on cordless tool brands??? tired of dead batteries after a year it seems on anything I've bought.........need a new set and wondering what works and lasts?? thanks!!
|
JAFO92
9/21/2017 9:55am
I have this kit (along with many others not in this kit that are also 20v, a badass 1/2" impact, L-head grinder, grease-gun etc) and they all work great.

kongols
9/21/2017 11:22am
While we`re at it. Check this out. Pretty cool.

icrashalot
9/21/2017 12:18pm
Milwaukee is the best I've used in my opinion. Especially there cordless impacts.

The Shop

IWreckALot
9/21/2017 12:22pm
JAFO92 wrote:
I have this kit (along with many others not in this kit that are also 20v, a badass 1/2" impact, L-head grinder, grease-gun etc) and they...
I have this kit (along with many others not in this kit that are also 20v, a badass 1/2" impact, L-head grinder, grease-gun etc) and they all work great.

This is what I'm using. The impact and cordless and brushless is the bomb.
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
9/21/2017 12:56pm
JAFO92 wrote:
I have this kit (along with many others not in this kit that are also 20v, a badass 1/2" impact, L-head grinder, grease-gun etc) and they...

IWreckALot wrote:
This is what I'm using. The impact and cordless and brushless is the bomb.
I use these also. Use a 1/2 impact dozens of times a day and been swapping between two 3 amp batteries for a few years on my impact at work. Dropped them in oil, gas. Even left out in the snow over the weekend once and no problems. Purchased a brushless model after I got the regular impact and still haven't had to use it, the brushed is still going strong. I put my impact on the charge every other day and grab the new battery. Don't need to charge that often just don't ever want to run out when in a awkward spot, etc.

The guy I work with has more money then his home is worth in Snap On tools.(He tells me weekly) He swaps out his battery several times a day while still using air tools some, his impact is slow and weak but still cost over $800. The day I watched him fail to bring a 1 tons lug nut off with his Snap On impact, I slid the dewalt over and it spun each off quickly. He still isn't sold, snap on for life he is lol.
early
Fantasy
2231st
9/21/2017 1:17pm
I bought a 6 piece makita set in about 2010, it came with 3 3ah batteries, 2 took a shit in about a year. Bought 1 replacement battery off amazon (not makita branded) for about $30. Tools and batteries have been good ever since but im not using them now as much as b i used to. These are brushed tools. Also, a battery powered sawzall is about worthless and a battery right angle grinder is only good for special jobs. All mine are brushed motor.
JAFO92
9/21/2017 1:35pm
imoto34 wrote:
I use these also. Use a 1/2 impact dozens of times a day and been swapping between two 3 amp batteries for a few years on...
I use these also. Use a 1/2 impact dozens of times a day and been swapping between two 3 amp batteries for a few years on my impact at work. Dropped them in oil, gas. Even left out in the snow over the weekend once and no problems. Purchased a brushless model after I got the regular impact and still haven't had to use it, the brushed is still going strong. I put my impact on the charge every other day and grab the new battery. Don't need to charge that often just don't ever want to run out when in a awkward spot, etc.

The guy I work with has more money then his home is worth in Snap On tools.(He tells me weekly) He swaps out his battery several times a day while still using air tools some, his impact is slow and weak but still cost over $800. The day I watched him fail to bring a 1 tons lug nut off with his Snap On impact, I slid the dewalt over and it spun each off quickly. He still isn't sold, snap on for life he is lol.
Yessir I hear ya, I have this one here and its a beast. 700 ft lbs !

XXVoid MainXX
9/21/2017 1:45pm
imoto34 wrote:
I use these also. Use a 1/2 impact dozens of times a day and been swapping between two 3 amp batteries for a few years on...

JAFO92 wrote:
Yessir I hear ya, I have this one here and its a beast. 700 ft lbs ! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/21/216000/s1200_Capture.jpg[/img]
Yessir I hear ya, I have this one here and its a beast. 700 ft lbs !

I have that one as well. Love it! It runs circles around my Ingersol air impact. It was a pretty penny though. Smile
Old-Man
9/22/2017 7:17am
kongols wrote:

Have all Dewalt
This is great if it works well, I have to put in some long ass rails and to hide the screw at the joint would be awesome.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
9/22/2017 7:22am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2017 1:12pm
I have both DeWalt and a lot of Ryobi. Crazy thing is the Ryobi costs less but works and holds up as well if not better than my DeWalt stuff and I like the "1 battery fits all" the Roybi where I have a couple different Batteries types for my Dewalt. But both brands work great. I was dead set against Ryobi at first but have changed my opinion.
IWreckALot
9/22/2017 7:31am
While we're talking about drills and tools, you guys all use the star key screws and done with the phillips screws. I love those star keys. No more stripping the head out. I have been doing some cabinets where I drill pocket holes with a kreg jig. I even use the star keys on the pocket holes and they work just as good as the overpriced screws from kreg.
IWreckALot
9/22/2017 7:36am
Oh and just a side by side comparison of Rigid and Dewalt impact drivers. I have both, and the Rigid is significantly slower than the Dewalt and the Dewalt's battery life is longer. I have mostly Rigid power tools, but their lithium ion tools aren't quite where Dewalts are.
Hut
9/22/2017 7:47am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2017 7:54am
I have porter cable at home. Don't waste your money.
These Milwaukee are very good.

JRT812
9/22/2017 8:36am
DeWalt guy here, but I must say I have been impressed with Milwaukee's line up. I am to far down the DeWalt road to turn back now. I am always using the compact driver and impact. Like others have said, thing is a beast

IWreckALot
9/22/2017 9:11am
Milwaukee M18 is a good compact line. I used those for quite some time doing commercial fire alarm work. The little hackzall was a good arm and time saver.
Old-Man
9/22/2017 9:51am
"you guys all use the star key screws and done with the phillips screws"

Yes, much easier to use and tighten without the bit jumping out and making you buy new bits because the ends get chewed up.
JAFO92
9/22/2017 9:57am
JRT812 wrote:
DeWalt guy here, but I must say I have been impressed with Milwaukee's line up. I am to far down the DeWalt road to turn back...
DeWalt guy here, but I must say I have been impressed with Milwaukee's line up. I am to far down the DeWalt road to turn back now. I am always using the compact driver and impact. Like others have said, thing is a beast

My neighbor down the road is 100% Milwaukee on the cordless line up and has a sizeable amount of their lineup. We compare tools sometimes when working on tractors and hay equipment. Like you Im totally vested in the yellow 20V lineup but think DeWalt and Milwaukee are pretty even these days and both lines are a good buy.
mauidex
9/22/2017 10:29am
thanks for the feedback everyone.............very much appreciated and gonna go shopping for milwaukee or dewalt where i can get the best deal!!SmileSmile
JRT812
9/22/2017 11:42am
JRT812 wrote:
DeWalt guy here, but I must say I have been impressed with Milwaukee's line up. I am to far down the DeWalt road to turn back...

JAFO92 wrote:
My neighbor down the road is 100% Milwaukee on the cordless line up and has a sizeable amount of their lineup. We compare tools sometimes when...
My neighbor down the road is 100% Milwaukee on the cordless line up and has a sizeable amount of their lineup. We compare tools sometimes when working on tractors and hay equipment. Like you Im totally vested in the yellow 20V lineup but think DeWalt and Milwaukee are pretty even these days and both lines are a good buy.
Agree, I was shopping for a compact driver a while ago and honestly preferred the Milwaukee over the DeWalt, but my reason for going with the DeWalt was based only on the other DeWalt tools/charging system I had. Both system are really similar.
Hut
9/22/2017 4:17pm
Old-Man wrote:
[i]"you guys all use the star key screws and done with the phillips screws"[/i] Yes, much easier to use and tighten without the bit jumping out...
"you guys all use the star key screws and done with the phillips screws"

Yes, much easier to use and tighten without the bit jumping out and making you buy new bits because the ends get chewed up.
I agree anytime we use wood screws we prefer torx. #3 Phillips are ok also for larger size
I'm in the electrical industry so at work 90%+ of Our hardware is hex head.
500guy
9/22/2017 7:07pm
Been thinking about a cordless chain saw and Hedge trimmer, the 40V Dewalt looks good to me.

any suggestions ?
ns503
9/23/2017 4:47am
Milwaukee. Fuel. M18.

I've grown a collection here the past 2 years. Have 4 drill/drivers, 1 impact driver, circular saw & grinder. And music box. Smile They kick ass & take numbers. The 5ah batteries go a long time - the 6 & 9's would be another level again. Now I'm on the constant lookout for more. A recip saw might get added next - work light of some form too. Maybe a grease gun....
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
9/23/2017 5:14am Edited Date/Time 9/23/2017 5:17am
Couple months ago I had a Dewalt battery blow up on the charger. Thank god I was home and just happen to be charging the battery on the garage floor.

That battery smoked for a hour...Could have been bad if I wasn't home...In the right situation it likely could have started the garage on fire.

Now I never leave these battery's charging unless I am home and keeping an eye on them..
borg
9/23/2017 6:09am
The only cordless tool I use is the drill/driver. Mostly for driving screws. I also have a corded drill for heavier work. For saws, I have to have corded tools because sometimes I need the torque and speed. Maybe the newer ones would get it done but I don't see the point in hauling duplicate tools around. Doing shop work and home repairs the cordless is fine. I may have to get a new drill though. I dropped it from a scissor lift a couple weeks ago and now it's hard to switch speeds. It's a Milwaukee 12v I bought about 8 or 10 years ago. Still using the same 2 batteries. It's a workhorse. The corded drill is also a Milwaukee. It's probably 30 years old. It's a 3/8" drill with a 1/2" chuck. I overload the shit out of it sometimes. I guess you could say that the Pasload finish nailer I have is cordless. Absolutely great tool. Not sure how old it is. Pretty old.
Hut
9/23/2017 8:38am
ns503 wrote:
Milwaukee. Fuel. M18. I've grown a collection here the past 2 years. Have 4 drill/drivers, 1 impact driver, circular saw & grinder. And music box. :)...
Milwaukee. Fuel. M18.

I've grown a collection here the past 2 years. Have 4 drill/drivers, 1 impact driver, circular saw & grinder. And music box. Smile They kick ass & take numbers. The 5ah batteries go a long time - the 6 & 9's would be another level again. Now I'm on the constant lookout for more. A recip saw might get added next - work light of some form too. Maybe a grease gun....
I have always used a 120 volt corded Deep Cut Milwaukee band saw at work but now we mostly use the Milwaukee Fuel Cordless versions. Pretty damn amazing how well they hold up and fairly lightweight. We also use the smaller cordless bandsaw it is super handy.
JAFO92
9/23/2017 12:13pm
Hut wrote:
Those videos are sure interesting to watch for sure, but to me its really not a good test to see which tool is best for what its built to do. I will never ever use a drill attached to anything that is rotating opposed to its own rotation and certainly not intentionally force the two against each other to the point of killing it. Id like to see the drills put on some kinda UIL-type fixture and see how many screws they can put in before they die and stuff like that. Something simulating what the tool will be doing in real life working.

That Milwaukee certain did spank the DeWalt in that scenario though.

Post a reply to: Cordless tools

The Latest