Difficult customer help needed

motogrady
7/12/2019 3:40am
I hear it all the time.

Customer:
"I understand the new AC unit will need a bigger wire from the circuit breaker box. I used to to electric work. I'll take care of that."

They never do. The house burns down who's fault do you think it's gonna be?

You as a businessman messed up.
Go back, fix the issue, be nice to the lady, take the hit and move on.
And don't forget.

Some guys pay tuition to learn things.
Guys like you and me sometimes pay in other ways.
borg
7/12/2019 6:14am
sumdood wrote:
"We go out and meet and from our first conversation I knew she was going to be a pain in the ass" Should've added a 20%...
"We go out and meet and from our first conversation I knew she was going to be a pain in the ass"

Should've added a 20% "Bitch Tax" right then and there. Laughing
My instinct would be to try and get the water to go where it needs to go even if it cost a couple hundred bucks so at least she has nothing to complain about down the road. Get that bitch in the rear view mirror for good and don't give her any ammo to come back at you with. If you leave the drainage funky everyone she shows and complains to is going to say "yeah what a dumb fuck why'd he do it that way ? what an idiot that's not the right way to do it". The details of why will not make it into that conversation, you'll be the bad guy. Anyway that's what my instinct usually is, leave it right even "if".... but I feel for you because I know shit happens and some customers are a lose lose deal, no way you're ever going to look good in their eyes no matter what you do. Don't let it bug you. When that happens I tell myself, "Any person who makes their decision about me based on what that crazy bitch thinks I don't want to work with anyway" Laughing Next time I'll bet you'll be checking where those downspouts go a little closer eh ? lol Tongue Good luck
I good customer of mine gave my number to her ex husbands sister. She had a pretty good sized remodel job. Full kitchen and two baths. I met with her at the house and she would not get off of her goddam phone. We couldn't nail anything down because she kept answering the phone. She was some sort of big shot business woman. It was aggravating as hell. One of the phone conversations was over 20 minutes long. I took pictures and measurements during all this time and she finally took another call and went to her car and sat there on the phone. I got the information as best I could, went to her car and told her I would get back to her. She pulled the phone away from her face and glared at me like I was impinging on her personal time. I submitted a bid. I figured that once I got in there we would be able to nail down the specifics as needed. She called me a day later and insisted that I save what was left of the lath and plaster in the kitchen and work around it. Plumbers had demo'd most of it and left one wall with lath and plaster about half way up. A day later I withdrew my bid. It wasn't because it was too hard to save her little plaster remnant, it was because it was clue that I was dealing with an irrational person. Given that there were many other loose ends all I could see coming was a long nightmare. Sometimes it's better to walk away.
Kenny Lingus
7/12/2019 8:27am
If you're getting a bad vibe add enough to the bid to make sure you won't lose money. That way you'll either get paid well or they'll get someone else with a lower bid. It can be a pain and monotonous but document everything. Pics, conversations with customer and every detail. It can come in handy if you get sued, No your honor I told here on this day and time....
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2888th
7/12/2019 11:46am
sumdood wrote:
"We go out and meet and from our first conversation I knew she was going to be a pain in the ass" Should've added a 20%...
"We go out and meet and from our first conversation I knew she was going to be a pain in the ass"

My instinct would be to try and get the water to go where it needs to go even if it cost a couple hundred bucks so at least she has nothing to complain about down the road. Get that bitch in the rear view mirror for good and don't give her any ammo to come back at you with. If you leave the drainage funky everyone she shows and complains to is going to say "yeah what a dumb fuck why'd he do it that way ? what an idiot that's not the right way to do it". The details of why will not make it into that conversation, you'll be the bad guy. Anyway that's what my instinct usually is, leave it right even "if".... but I feel for you because I know shit happens and some customers are a lose lose deal, no way you're ever going to look good in their eyes no matter what you do. Don't let it bug you. When that happens I tell myself, "Any person who makes their decision about me based on what that crazy bitch thinks I don't want to work with anyway" Laughing Next time I'll bet you'll be checking where those downspouts go a little closer eh ? lol Tongue Good luck
Lil sidetrack sorry op, I’m a general and finish woodworking contractor in good ol southern California. Just looked at about a $70k BATHROOM REMODEL!!! The lady asked what kind of insurance I had in case she has to sue me. Then proceeds to tell me make sure it’s xyz policy so I’m covered if I have to sue you. Gigantic red flag. Also mentioned she had other contractors ready to go but did not like the non-negotiable contract terms. Looked her up when I got home, she was an insurance attorney. Didn’t even make it to the estimate table. That was a hard pass for me.

The Shop

sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
7/12/2019 1:41pm
Dirtydeeds wrote:
Lil sidetrack sorry op, I’m a general and finish woodworking contractor in good ol southern California. Just looked at about a $70k BATHROOM REMODEL!!! The lady...
Lil sidetrack sorry op, I’m a general and finish woodworking contractor in good ol southern California. Just looked at about a $70k BATHROOM REMODEL!!! The lady asked what kind of insurance I had in case she has to sue me. Then proceeds to tell me make sure it’s xyz policy so I’m covered if I have to sue you. Gigantic red flag. Also mentioned she had other contractors ready to go but did not like the non-negotiable contract terms. Looked her up when I got home, she was an insurance attorney. Didn’t even make it to the estimate table. That was a hard pass for me.
Yeah if they're talking about lawsuits before you even start I think I'd bail too. That and shoppers. I had a guy looking up heaters on the internet right in front of me the other day, "How much for the heater" ? $3,200' installed with a new non restrictive gas cock, all the hookups required, gas pressure and flow rates all dialed in, a 2 year full warry parts and labor, and removal of the old heater. "ok but how much of that is the heater and what's your labor" ? It's 32 hundred installed. "Yes I heard you but how much of that is for the heater" ? Bye bye..... Laughing
RONJ OSE
7/12/2019 1:54pm
sumdood wrote:

Dirtydeeds wrote:
Lil sidetrack sorry op, I’m a general and finish woodworking contractor in good ol southern California. Just looked at about a $70k BATHROOM REMODEL!!! The lady...
Well that’s an red flag if there is one!
RONJ OSE
7/12/2019 1:56pm
Dirtydeeds wrote:
sumdood wrote:
Yeah if they're talking about lawsuits before you even start I think I'd bail too. That and shoppers. I had a guy looking up heaters on...
Yeah if they're talking about lawsuits before you even start I think I'd bail too. That and shoppers. I had a guy looking up heaters on the internet right in front of me the other day, "How much for the heater" ? $3,200' installed with a new non restrictive gas cock, all the hookups required, gas pressure and flow rates all dialed in, a 2 year full warry parts and labor, and removal of the old heater. "ok but how much of that is the heater and what's your labor" ? It's 32 hundred installed. "Yes I heard you but how much of that is for the heater" ? Bye bye..... Laughing
I really would not of took the job if I didn’t need the money, thanks for the input.
She really pissed me of with what’s your labor etc why tf do people ask stupid questions like what’s your labor
SEE ARE125
7/12/2019 3:53pm
Might be drifting off topic a bit here, but people are hire professionals for their knowledge and expertise, then for some reason gripe about the “labor cost” because they aren’t factoring in the knowledge part.
Here’s a favorite story of mine:

A big factory had a machine that stopped working, and the whole plant shut down costing them thousands of dollars per minute. The factory employees went all over the machine, checking this, tightening that. They did this for 2hrs and still it wouldn’t work. So they called in an expert from the company who sold them the machine. He walked over and flipped a reset switch and like magic the machine started working again! The factory was so happy, until they got the $3,500 bill. One of the executives said “$3,500! This is ridiculous! All you did was flip a switch! I need to see an itemized bill explaining this outrageous price!” So the repair man wrote a detailed, itemized bill that read:

“Flipping reset switch — $1.00
Knowing which switch to flip — $3,499.00”
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2888th
7/12/2019 5:26pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Might be drifting off topic a bit here, but people are hire professionals for their knowledge and expertise, then for some reason gripe about the “labor...
Might be drifting off topic a bit here, but people are hire professionals for their knowledge and expertise, then for some reason gripe about the “labor cost” because they aren’t factoring in the knowledge part.

A big factory had a machine that stopped working, and the whole plant shut down costing them thousands of dollars per minute. The factory employees went all over the machine, checking this, tightening that. They did this for 2hrs and still it wouldn’t work. So they called in an expert from the company who sold them the machine. He walked over and flipped a reset switch and like magic the machine started working again! The factory was so happy, until they got the $3,500 bill. One of the executives said “$3,500! This is ridiculous! All you did was flip a switch! I need to see an itemized bill explaining this outrageous price!” So the repair man wrote a detailed, itemized bill that read:

Or the machinery/tool part. I didn’t invest in 75k+ in tools and machines to make $20 an hour. Of course any yahoo can buy the machines but thats where the knowledge part comes in!
borg
7/12/2019 7:19pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Might be drifting off topic a bit here, but people are hire professionals for their knowledge and expertise, then for some reason gripe about the “labor...

That would be the last machine I would ever buy from that fucked up company. Really horseshit way to treat a customer.
RONJ OSE
7/12/2019 7:52pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:

borg wrote:
That would be the last machine I would ever buy from that fucked up company. Really horseshit way to treat a customer.
The price you charge is the price you charge, I would have done the same shit don’t ask for an itemized list like a dick
RONJ OSE
7/12/2019 7:54pm
I have another question so when you get that person who wants a quote and says “I just what to see want to see what it will cost” do you guys even bother??
I know I don’t those people tend to waste my time
SEE ARE125
7/12/2019 8:13pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:

borg wrote:
So when you buy a car from a dealership with a 100k warranty and the starter goes out at 189k, the dealership fixes it for free? If not, that’s a horseshit way for the dealership to treat a customer.
motogrady
7/12/2019 9:02pm Edited Date/Time 7/12/2019 9:04pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:

borg wrote:
RONJ OSE wrote:
The price you charge is the price you charge, I would have done the same shit don’t ask for an itemized list like a dick
Service calls, legally you are supposed to itemize your labor and parts.

Estimates, tell them ballpark and be high.
And tell them that. Be upfront.

They want detailed quotes that take time, and I don't have to tell you some bids do take time,
charge for it.

Shady stuff, changes, they want a window moved a foot to the left of what the plans call for, charge them and make sure they sign a change work order.
It's surprising how many can live with something when you flash a change work order with the additional price right there for all to see and a place to sign off on.

I dunno. I hate just being there when it gets like that.
Someone wants a little extra, I usually give it to them.

They get to be assholes I tell them, I feel you are trying to take advantage of me, and it's not right so we are just going to finish what we agreed to and settle up. And I never work for them again.

Your draws should be set up so you shouldn't lose a ton. Going to court, it's a waste of time and money. Not to mention what it does to your
psyche.

All in all, I find people are good.

Maybe it's because I've been in it for a long time.
Try to remember, it's about the money.
They can be crazy as hell, bat shit crazy, saying batshit crazy, ego attacking stuff.
Ignore it, play the game and remember it's the money, who gets that in the end, wins.

borg
7/13/2019 6:39am
SEE ARE125 wrote:

borg wrote:
SEE ARE125 wrote:
So when you buy a car from a dealership with a 100k warranty and the starter goes out at 189k, the dealership fixes it for free...
So when you buy a car from a dealership with a 100k warranty and the starter goes out at 189k, the dealership fixes it for free? If not, that’s a horseshit way for the dealership to treat a customer.
I built machinery for about 20 years. We had one customer that bought 25 machines over a period of 10 years at about $90,000.00 each. If we did what that company did to you, we would have sold them 1. Not 25.Charging $3,500.00 for knowing where the switch is, is, well I don't have a word for describing how stupid that is.. When we had out of warranty service calls we charged a fair price which at the time was $90/man/hr plus any expenses. I'll bet some of you will be on the other thread talking about how outrageous medical expenses are but this is ok?
SEE ARE125
7/13/2019 7:02am
borg wrote:
SEE ARE125 wrote:
So when you buy a car from a dealership with a 100k warranty and the starter goes out at 189k, the dealership fixes it for free...
borg wrote:
I built machinery for about 20 years. We had one customer that bought 25 machines over a period of 10 years at about $90,000.00 each. If...
I built machinery for about 20 years. We had one customer that bought 25 machines over a period of 10 years at about $90,000.00 each. If we did what that company did to you, we would have sold them 1. Not 25.Charging $3,500.00 for knowing where the switch is, is, well I don't have a word for describing how stupid that is.. When we had out of warranty service calls we charged a fair price which at the time was $90/man/hr plus any expenses. I'll bet some of you will be on the other thread talking about how outrageous medical expenses are but this is ok?
It’s a fake story(I’m assuming), one I read when I was in my late teens and has stuck with me over the years. I’m sure I probably have the numbers wrong, but I remember the bill was an extremely outrageous amount used to emphasize that knowledge should be charged for, and it’s not always what you do, it what you know to do.
SEEMEFIRST
7/13/2019 9:11am
SEE ARE125 wrote:

borg wrote:
Perhaps they should look into more competent mechanics.

This is what I do for a living.
Management would love to lower their overhead by cutting our department down to bare bones parts changers. It doesn't take long to see what that actually costs.

These guys just got a $3,500 lesson.
Nighttrain
7/13/2019 9:42am
EZZA 95B wrote:
I thought this was going to be about someone banging on your door for coffee at 5am.WoohooSilly
Hilarious!
7/13/2019 5:23pm Edited Date/Time 7/13/2019 5:33pm
RONJ OSE wrote:
The 300 was to fix the drainage problem that she caused witch caused a freak out, whole wall was 6,000
Guess I left that out
TXDirt wrote:
I understood that part. $300 may be what separates good word of mouth vs bad word of mouth. There may be no pleasing this lady. But...
I understood that part. $300 may be what separates good word of mouth vs bad word of mouth. There may be no pleasing this lady. But if you do this fix for $200 then that might be the best $100 you have ever spent/not charged. And if not, it only cost you $100 in service you didn’t charge. She paid $6,000 for a nice wall. If I can afford it, I would fix the drain for free if possible.

If you can get this ship righted, you might be able to turn that into another $6,000 by going the extra mile for her.

I can’t tell you how many small business owners split hairs on something, not even realizing they are killing future sales by holding so firm on a meaningless thing to the point they fracture the customer/client relationship. Not that your situation is meaningless. But in big picture it’s small.

I think the right thing to do here, is the hard thing to do, swallow your pride if you have to and see if you can win her over.

Winning people over is an art form. Mastering it will serve you well as a business owner.

I’ve run a small website business on the side for 20 years. I still have my first client. Every client I have had has been by word of mouth. I have fixed, changed numerous small things over the years for free because I know whatever I would have made will come back 10 fold in the future. One of my clients I even build their stupid end of year board report for. Only takes me a few hours. I do it for free. They have brought me in tens of thousands of dollars in revenue by word of mouth. No way will I send them a bill for a few hundred dollars for small work.
RONJ OSE wrote:
I understand what you’re saying, but I am not making much money on this wall and to A- tear down the Corner and run the pipe...
I understand what you’re saying, but I am not making much money on this wall and to A- tear down the Corner and run the pipe under or B- trench across the yard and put pipe in.
Both are about 250 in labor for my guys that’s my only hold up, I told her pay material and I’ll put it in she said no. I was cool until she said that she needed to speak to my dad and said that “I did not know what I was doing and was incompetent”
That really pissed me off.
I should go fix it and try to make amends but she’s a bitch
Just reel in your emotions. Be very direct. Don’t let her see your pissed.....explain you’re doing what’s right. And if she wants it done right then tell her to have confidence “in my way.” As her way didn’t last more than two days....you foresee the problem. And it happeneded. That Should be confidence enough.

Edit
I didn’t realize I missed a whole page.
RONJ OSE
7/13/2019 5:27pm
So guys update
So we went over to fix it and her son was there pretty much said she was bat shit crazy and not to mind it
I fixed it and am waiting for another check so we will see what happens
eeazye
7/14/2019 1:32pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
borg wrote:
I built machinery for about 20 years. We had one customer that bought 25 machines over a period of 10 years at about $90,000.00 each. If...
SEE ARE125 wrote:
It’s a fake story(I’m assuming), one I read when I was in my late teens and has stuck with me over the years. I’m sure I...
It’s a fake story(I’m assuming), one I read when I was in my late teens and has stuck with me over the years. I’m sure I probably have the numbers wrong, but I remember the bill was an extremely outrageous amount used to emphasize that knowledge should be charged for, and it’s not always what you do, it what you know to do.
I was told a version of that story from my grandfather in the 80’s. His version was a plumber that walked around the house for a few minutes, hit one pipe with a small hammer and then presented the owner with a $500 bill. “$5 to hit the pipe, $495 for knowing where to hit the pipe.”

It is a parable to help understand the value of education/knowledge.
7/14/2019 2:31pm Edited Date/Time 7/14/2019 2:34pm
I work in construction, and my motto is basically what you want and what you get are two different things. You have to stick to code to cover your own ass. If not, you or your company (not sure if you're an LLC or what) can be held liable even though the customer directed you otherwise. If I was in your position, I would soak up that 350.00 and fix whatever needs fixing and then move on if and only if you think it could end up in court.

Edit: just read update, hope you get paid. Good luck.
RONJ OSE
7/14/2019 2:49pm
I work in construction, and my motto is basically what you want and what you get are two different things. You have to stick to code...
I work in construction, and my motto is basically what you want and what you get are two different things. You have to stick to code to cover your own ass. If not, you or your company (not sure if you're an LLC or what) can be held liable even though the customer directed you otherwise. If I was in your position, I would soak up that 350.00 and fix whatever needs fixing and then move on if and only if you think it could end up in court.

Thanks I also hope I get paid if not maybe I’ll take her to court!!!
7/14/2019 3:50pm
I work in construction, and my motto is basically what you want and what you get are two different things. You have to stick to code...

RONJ OSE wrote:
Thanks I also hope I get paid if not maybe I’ll take her to court!!!
Hopefully it doesn't but if it does, make her pay! 99% of customers are great, but you always get that one that makes you want to quit and walk away. I had a jerk customer a few years ago, and when I was done with the job, I took a week off just to clear my head and wind down, so I get your frustrations.
ns503
7/14/2019 4:03pm
borg wrote:
SEE ARE125 wrote:
It’s a fake story(I’m assuming), one I read when I was in my late teens and has stuck with me over the years. I’m sure I...
eeazye wrote:
I was told a version of that story from my grandfather in the 80’s. His version was a plumber that walked around the house for a...
I was told a version of that story from my grandfather in the 80’s. His version was a plumber that walked around the house for a few minutes, hit one pipe with a small hammer and then presented the owner with a $500 bill. “$5 to hit the pipe, $495 for knowing where to hit the pipe.”

The version I heard involved Ben Franklin and survey markers.
SEE ARE125
7/14/2019 5:48pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
eeazye wrote:
I was told a version of that story from my grandfather in the 80’s. His version was a plumber that walked around the house for a...

ns503 wrote:
The version I heard involved Ben Franklin and survey markers.
I’ve heard a few different versions but haven’t heard that one. Laughing
early
Fantasy
2212th
7/14/2019 9:26pm
RONJ OSE wrote:
So guys update So we went over to fix it and her son was there pretty much said she was bat shit crazy and not to...
So guys update
So we went over to fix it and her son was there pretty much said she was bat shit crazy and not to mind it
I fixed it and am waiting for another check so we will see what happens
At least you don't have to deal with her your whole life as your mom, imagine what that guy has been through Laughing
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
7/15/2019 10:47am
RONJ OSE wrote:
I have another question so when you get that person who wants a quote and says “I just what to see want to see what it...
I have another question so when you get that person who wants a quote and says “I just what to see want to see what it will cost” do you guys even bother??
I know I don’t those people tend to waste my time
I get a lot of that in remodeling. I do the 60 second cost sheet and send it off, a good 20% of what it should be. I’ve been doing remodels for around 40 yrs now so I can throw rough numbers out really quick. If she bites then I’ll take the time and give a thorough estimate and it usually comes out lower then the original which makes them happy from the start.

One thing I’ll pass along. We get 100% of our jobs off referrals, have never advertised. We r constantly booked around 6 months out. Your customer base is extremely important for your business. I’d suck it up and eat whatever it takes to make her happy, even if she is a flaming cunt. Do anything to shut her up and if she ever has you back make sure you make it up in the next project. I have given a LOT of free hours/materials over the years and every job I have left me and the customer have been on excellent terms. I mean take us out to dinner relationships. In business make friends not enemies.

One last thing and I’ll quit preaching. Learn bitch detection. I can spot a trouble client the minute they open their mouths. It usually starts with “I’ve done a lot of remodeling” or “I’m a lawyer” or “ my brother/dad is a contractor” and on and on. I immediately double my bid for the bitch tax that someone else may have mentioned. If I get the job, great. If I never hear from them, even better. For double pay I can suck ass/tolerate cunts with the best of them.

Good luck👍
RONJ OSE
7/18/2019 3:35pm
So guys today I revive a text, saying that the pipe and box I installed is leaking and the ground is “mushey” and I need to come fix it.
I haven’t gotten paid for the box yet but where I am at is go fuck your self and pay me or I am going to come rip the pipe and box up.
Or don’t pay me and still go fuck your self I’m coming over tomorrow to rip my shit out.
What do y’all think
RONJ OSE
7/18/2019 3:39pm
And another text to my father saying “in your opinion do you think this wall will stand I don’t think it’s built right”

Post a reply to: Difficult customer help needed

The Latest