Difficult customer help needed

plowboy
7/18/2019 6:12pm
KennyT wrote:
I get a lot of that in remodeling. I do the 60 second cost sheet and send it off, a good 20% of what it should...
I get a lot of that in remodeling. I do the 60 second cost sheet and send it off, a good 20% of what it should be. I’ve been doing remodels for around 40 yrs now so I can throw rough numbers out really quick. If she bites then I’ll take the time and give a thorough estimate and it usually comes out lower then the original which makes them happy from the start.

One thing I’ll pass along. We get 100% of our jobs off referrals, have never advertised. We r constantly booked around 6 months out. Your customer base is extremely important for your business. I’d suck it up and eat whatever it takes to make her happy, even if she is a flaming cunt. Do anything to shut her up and if she ever has you back make sure you make it up in the next project. I have given a LOT of free hours/materials over the years and every job I have left me and the customer have been on excellent terms. I mean take us out to dinner relationships. In business make friends not enemies.

One last thing and I’ll quit preaching. Learn bitch detection. I can spot a trouble client the minute they open their mouths. It usually starts with “I’ve done a lot of remodeling” or “I’m a lawyer” or “ my brother/dad is a contractor” and on and on. I immediately double my bid for the bitch tax that someone else may have mentioned. If I get the job, great. If I never hear from them, even better. For double pay I can suck ass/tolerate cunts with the best of them.

Good luck👍
That's the ticket Kenny. If I was in the biz...I'd also make VERY clear that I will build to code or "best practices". You tell me what you want...not how to do it. There are plenty of goobers that will give you the cheapo job you want but don't bitch about getting what you asked for.
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
7/18/2019 6:40pm
RONJ OSE wrote:
So guys today I revive a text, saying that the pipe and box I installed is leaking and the ground is “mushey” and I need to...
So guys today I revive a text, saying that the pipe and box I installed is leaking and the ground is “mushey” and I need to come fix it.
I haven’t gotten paid for the box yet but where I am at is go fuck your self and pay me or I am going to come rip the pipe and box up.
Or don’t pay me and still go fuck your self I’m coming over tomorrow to rip my shit out.
What do y’all think
Start drinking
GeorgeHerrin
7/19/2019 5:57am
This is getting very complicated! I think you should contact the professional contractors online. Visit this site, it might help you. Tell your problems there and they will contact you as soon as possible.
motogrady
7/19/2019 7:14am
RONJ OSE wrote:
So guys today I revive a text, saying that the pipe and box I installed is leaking and the ground is “mushey” and I need to...
So guys today I revive a text, saying that the pipe and box I installed is leaking and the ground is “mushey” and I need to come fix it.
I haven’t gotten paid for the box yet but where I am at is go fuck your self and pay me or I am going to come rip the pipe and box up.
Or don’t pay me and still go fuck your self I’m coming over tomorrow to rip my shit out.
What do y’all think

You can't do that. You have to take her to court and get the judge to let you take it back.

I'd write the last thing off and never speak to that person again.

Send her a bill if you want to, but that bitch would be dead to me.

Be smart, not emotional, move on and make some money.

The Shop

sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
7/19/2019 7:37am
Just curious, where's all the water coming from ? Is it raining there ? Over watering ? After looking at the pics again maybe the wall should be higher and raise the grade so the natural drainage goes away from the wall instead of into it ? I don't know, hard to tell from the pic. Good Luck !
RONJ OSE
7/19/2019 9:15am
sumdood wrote:
Just curious, where's all the water coming from ? Is it raining there ? Over watering ? After looking at the pics again maybe the wall...
Just curious, where's all the water coming from ? Is it raining there ? Over watering ? After looking at the pics again maybe the wall should be higher and raise the grade so the natural drainage goes away from the wall instead of into it ? I don't know, hard to tell from the pic. Good Luck !
The deal is that she didn’t want to pull permits and have to deal with the city so we had to keep it under 4 feet. In the pictures There is 2 blocks below ground level so we are all good there.
She gets so much water because. 1 her gutters are fucked up and all the water runs to 2 spouts she had one pointed at the wall.
2 her drive is fucked and all the water pools then runs out into the wall area I told her to get that fixed
Casting
7/19/2019 9:28am
I would seriously examine the negative tone you take when talking about your customers.

Even though you aren't saying these things to her face or calling her a bitch, the mentality you display will inevitably bleed over into your face to face communication.

Reputation is everything for a small business.

You'd be surprised how fast reputation can sink, especially complaining about a customer and posting pictures of their home.

motogrady
7/19/2019 9:38am
Yikes. No permit. It goes to court contractor lose no question.

Pull stuff out without winning in civil court, you go to jail. Technically, when you guys left, the stuff is hers.
motogrady
7/19/2019 10:02am
Send her a bill for the extra.
Don't take her calls.
She doesn't pay, you can say she's a deadbeat to anyone that wants to listen.
Write it off as a loss.
Hopefully she doesn't call inspections and permits.

Myself, she's on ignore and is the past, and I'm out looking for new blood.

Like it never happened.
RONJ OSE
7/19/2019 10:51am
motogrady wrote:
Send her a bill for the extra. Don't take her calls. She doesn't pay, you can say she's a deadbeat to anyone that wants to listen...
Don't take her calls.
Write it off as a loss.

Like it never happened.
Why would I lose is court??
I am not required by the city to pull permits on a wall under 4 feet. This wall is not 4 feet tall and everything is done by the book so I don’t see an issue with permits
motogrady
7/19/2019 11:02am
motogrady wrote:
Send her a bill for the extra. Don't take her calls. She doesn't pay, you can say she's a deadbeat to anyone that wants to listen...
Don't take her calls.
Write it off as a loss.

Like it never happened.
RONJ OSE wrote:
Why would I lose is court?? I am not required by the city to pull permits on a wall under 4 feet. This wall is not...
I am not required by the city to pull permits on a wall under 4 feet. This wall is not 4 feet tall and everything is done by the book so I don’t see an issue with permits
Well then you're good to go.
Here where I'm located I think it's anything thing over $500.
Tell her u want your money.

RONJ OSE
7/19/2019 11:12am
motogrady wrote:
Don't take her calls.
Write it off as a loss.

Like it never happened.
RONJ OSE wrote:
Why would I lose is court?? I am not required by the city to pull permits on a wall under 4 feet. This wall is not...
motogrady wrote:
Well then you're good to go.
Here where I'm located I think it's anything thing over $500.
Tell her u want your money.

Alright just wanted to check because maybe you knew something I didn’t
That’s the plan
RONJ OSE
7/19/2019 12:58pm
Casting wrote:
I would seriously examine the negative tone you take when talking about your customers. Even though you aren't saying these things to her face or calling...
I would seriously examine the negative tone you take when talking about your customers.

Even though you aren't saying these things to her face or calling her a bitch, the mentality you display will inevitably bleed over into your face to face communication.

You'd be surprised how fast reputation can sink, especially complaining about a customer and posting pictures of their home.

I’d have no problem calling her a bitch and I really could care less about her house and pictures.
I am a very pleasant person till you fuck with me
borg
7/19/2019 6:14pm
Casting wrote:
I would seriously examine the negative tone you take when talking about your customers. Even though you aren't saying these things to her face or calling...

RONJ OSE wrote:
I’d have no problem calling her a bitch and I really could care less about her house and pictures. I am a very pleasant person till...
I’d have no problem calling her a bitch and I really could care less about her house and pictures.
Good advice from Casting but it's obvious you're taking this personally. Maybe someone else should deal with the customers. Your attitude will not be good for business.
RONJ OSE
7/19/2019 6:45pm
Casting wrote:

RONJ OSE wrote:
I’d have no problem calling her a bitch and I really could care less about her house and pictures. I am a very pleasant person till...
borg wrote:
Good advice from Casting but it's obvious you're taking this personally. Maybe someone else should deal with the customers. Your attitude will not be good for...
Good advice from Casting but it's obvious you're taking this personally. Maybe someone else should deal with the customers. Your attitude will not be good for business.
Well when someone attacks you says you don’t know what your doing, you don’t know how to do it correctly. Have you ever built a wall before??
And you are makeing up how long you have been in business.
And says to your crew “ he’s a little special”
I’m going to take a personal. And I am fine with customers and my attitude is fine as it has yet effected how much money I make
Casting
7/19/2019 6:58pm
RONJ OSE wrote:
Well when someone attacks you says you don’t know what your doing, you don’t know how to do it correctly. Have you ever built a wall...
Well when someone attacks you says you don’t know what your doing, you don’t know how to do it correctly. Have you ever built a wall before??
I’m going to take a personal. And I am fine with customers and my attitude is fine as it has yet effected how much money I make
You are never going to know about the jobs you don't get, so there is no way for you to say your attitude hasn't lost you money.

RONJ OSE
7/19/2019 7:20pm
RONJ OSE wrote:
Well when someone attacks you says you don’t know what your doing, you don’t know how to do it correctly. Have you ever built a wall...
Casting wrote:
You are never going to know about the jobs you don't get, so there is no way for you to say your attitude hasn't lost you...
You are never going to know about the jobs you don't get, so there is no way for you to say your attitude hasn't lost you money.

Ok thanks for the input.
This is the first customer I have had a problem with ever
olddude
7/20/2019 12:59pm
borg wrote:
Good advice from Casting but it's obvious you're taking this personally. Maybe someone else should deal with the customers. Your attitude will not be good for...
This. Kinda. Look you have mentioned more than once she wants to talk to your Father.. Get him to go over and check it out and reassure her that the job is correct. He might gain some info that she has not given you. You and the client are not ever going to get along and that's ok Once a client has lost faith in a product or service it's almost impossible to gain it back. Her complaints are giving you a chance to correct that. Most won't say a word to you but will be sure to have negative responses any time your name is brought up. There has to be an underlying problem here find out what it is and you're golden. Let go of your ego on this one, you're already in too deep.

My.02
7/20/2019 3:44pm
RONJ OSE wrote:
borg wrote:
RONJ OSE wrote:
Controlling your emotions is a big part of it. Just reel yourself in and they have nothing to embarrass you about. It’s ok to take a breather and let them know you have a few appointments and will return later. Allows you both to reel in the emotions.
APLMAN99
7/20/2019 4:46pm
RONJ OSE wrote:
Casting wrote:
You are never going to know about the jobs you don't get, so there is no way for you to say your attitude hasn't lost you...

RONJ OSE wrote:
Ok thanks for the input.
This is the first customer I have had a problem with ever
If this is truly the first customer that you've had trouble with, you either haven't been in business long or you aren't listening to them well. You mention that you took the job because you really needed the money, around here just about every contractor, builder, tradesman, etc. is booked up months in advance it seems. If you were in a position that you were desperate to take on a client who you knew would be trouble, that's not a great sign. Maybe you've had trouble with customers that you weren't actually aware of. For every actual complaint, there are usually at least 10 more unsatisfied customers who don't speak up but won't hesitate to share their experiences with friends and acquaintances.

I don't mean that as a slam on your work. You may be the absolute best in your field at what you do, but something made you desperate enough to take this job. I'd worry about what that is and try to fix it. Maybe you come off as abrasive, uninterested, or unqualified to your clients and potential clients. You may not be doing it intentionally or even realize it at all, but it just may come across differently than you think it is. Based on how emotionally personal you are taking this, my first impression is that you are not coming across as professionally as you might think. Could be wrong.

Situations like this can be great learning experiences, if we let them be. But our initial reflex is to defend ourselves rather than looking objectively to see if we could be part of the problem.

At this point your best bet sounds like to just do what it takes to fix the issue, but if things were that tight that may be easier said than done. It may mean doing it yourself instead of paying a crew, but ultimately you want to look future clients in the eye and be able to tell them that whatever she might say, you took care of your business.

Good luck, sucks that this had to happen.

Post a reply to: Difficult customer help needed

The Latest