Dunkirk

JW381
Anybody seen it? I loved it. Different than most big blockbuster war epics.
|
8/6/2017 10:21am
Great film, like a lot of Nolans films and this one didn't disappoint. Being British and riding mx on the very beaches the evacuations took place really brings it home.
JW381
8/6/2017 10:33am
Great film, like a lot of Nolans films and this one didn't disappoint. Being British and riding mx on the very beaches the evacuations took place...
Great film, like a lot of Nolans films and this one didn't disappoint. Being British and riding mx on the very beaches the evacuations took place really brings it home.
That's awesome man, and heavy all the same.

But yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed it, Nolan does great visual work and that is (somewhat surprisingly) lost on a lot on current films with a reliance on CGI.
GD2
Fantasy
815th
8/6/2017 10:44am
Great film.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
8/6/2017 2:09pm
Im having a hard time pulling the trigger. Some people Ive talked to didnt like it. Maybe they are dumb.
Should I go see it?

The Shop

JW381
8/6/2017 5:09pm
kzizok wrote:
Im having a hard time pulling the trigger. Some people Ive talked to didnt like it. Maybe they are dumb.
Should I go see it?
What didn't they like about it? I'm a history buff 2nd, and an aviation buff first, and there's a few inaccuracies as far as both of those categories are concerned. Usually, that ruins a movie for me, but not this one. I loved it and felt it was a great film to go see.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
8/6/2017 5:55pm Edited Date/Time 8/6/2017 6:26pm
kzizok wrote:
Should I go see it?
JW381 wrote:
What didn't they like about it? I'm a history buff 2nd, and an aviation buff first, and there's a few inaccuracies as far as both of...
What didn't they like about it? I'm a history buff 2nd, and an aviation buff first, and there's a few inaccuracies as far as both of those categories are concerned. Usually, that ruins a movie for me, but not this one. I loved it and felt it was a great film to go see.
I didnt want too many details as potential spoilers. My take away is that it was a Christopher Nolan movie, which we know is different, but some dont understand what that entails. I think the people that I talked to were expecting the familar pattern of previous war movies and Dunkirk deviated. Like, its about the war and not so much about individuals and their characters.

I like Nolan, so I think I will like it. I was just surprised to hear it on several occasions that people didnt like it, but with vague reasons. Probably the same people who didnt like or understand Memento.
8/6/2017 6:12pm
Yeah that's basically what Iv'e heard. I do plan to see it (probably this week) as I hear it's also very tense and manages to evoke dread/horror without resorting to excessive gore etc. The only negative Iv'e really heard is that the transitions between the 3 stories (1 week, 1 day and 1 hr) can be a little confusing at times. But yeah, looking forward to it. I have a lot of faith in Nolan and love historical events, so I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it.
Nighttrain
8/6/2017 6:47pm
We saw it last night. I think anyone interested in the history of the event will appreciate the film's portrayal. My wife and sons discussed how some groups aren't happy about what was left out of the movie. Those parts weren't noticeable to me but I'm familiar enough with the Dunkirk evacuation to understand the backdrop. I'm satisfied to have paid the costs for all of us to see it at a theater, which for my cheap ***, is a very good rating.
Nighttrain
8/6/2017 6:57pm
Great film, like a lot of Nolans films and this one didn't disappoint. Being British and riding mx on the very beaches the evacuations took place...
That's really cool, Andy. I've always wanted to go watch a cycling classic like Liege-Bastogne-Liege and then check out some of the WW1 Memorials while over there. My grandfather fought in that one and only in the last few years did I understand the horrific conditions and casualties suffered by soldiers in WW1.
JW381
8/6/2017 7:02pm
Very different than Saving Private Ryan. SPR, to me, is the last of the old style war epic. Dunkirk is definitely different, but not in a bad way. I felt more connected to Dunkirk than Saving Private Ryan.
GD2
Fantasy
815th
8/6/2017 8:18pm
Completely different from Saving Private Ryan, besides the fact that it's a war film.
GD2
Fantasy
815th
8/6/2017 8:26pm Edited Date/Time 8/6/2017 8:29pm
kzizok wrote:
Should I go see it?
Go see it.

The most common complaint that I've heard is that there wasn't enough character development, and a lot of people didn't necessarily care which characters lived or died because of that. I don't agree with that at all. I don't believe you're meant to get attached to one character more than another, rather I think Nolan wants you to care for the entire group as a whole. That's how I look at it, anyway.

I'm not sure where it'll rank amongst the best war films, but I do think that it will have more home video re-playability than a lot of them. Not as long as a lot of them, not as gory as a lot of them, and the visuals are incredible.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
8/7/2017 4:17am Edited Date/Time 8/7/2017 3:43pm
kzizok wrote:
Should I go see it?
JW381 wrote:
What didn't they like about it? I'm a history buff 2nd, and an aviation buff first, and there's a few inaccuracies as far as both of...
Unrelated but if you're an aviation/history buff you'll be happy to know that Hanks & Spielberg are currently working on a new series for HBO. They've done Band of Brothers, The Pacific and the next installment was originally called Masters of the Air but has since had a title change to The Mighty Eighth.

It's going to be a 10 part series and looks like it'll be out in 2019. The budget is 500$ Million. The series will feature the daylight bomber raids by American forces over Nazi Germany. When you have the chance read up on it. Pretty certain it's something you're going to like.

I really enjoyed Band of Brothers and The Pacific so I'm sure I'll enjoy this one as well.
JW381
8/7/2017 6:37am
kzizok wrote:
Should I go see it?
JW381 wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Unrelated but if you're an aviation/history buff you'll be happy to know that Hanks & Spielberg are currently working on a new series for HBO. They've...
Unrelated but if you're an aviation/history buff you'll be happy to know that Hanks & Spielberg are currently working on a new series for HBO. They've done Band of Brothers, The Pacific and the next installment was originally called Masters of the Air but has since had a title change to The Mighty Eighth.

It's going to be a 10 part series and looks like it'll be out in 2019. The budget is 500$ Million. The series will feature the daylight bomber raids by American forces over Nazi Germany. When you have the chance read up on it. Pretty certain it's something you're going to like.

I really enjoyed Band of Brothers and The Pacific so I'm sure I'll enjoy this one as well.
Let's just say I'm sporting a chubby right now
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
8/7/2017 9:47am
JW381 wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Unrelated but if you're an aviation/history buff you'll be happy to know that Hanks & Spielberg are currently working on a new series for HBO. They've...

JW381 wrote:
Let's just say I'm sporting a chubby right now
Yeah, I'm all-in on this one.

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
8/7/2017 10:16am
kzizok wrote:
Should I go see it?
GD2 wrote:
Go see it. The most common complaint that I've heard is that there wasn't enough character development, and a lot of people didn't necessarily care which...
Go see it.

The most common complaint that I've heard is that there wasn't enough character development, and a lot of people didn't necessarily care which characters lived or died because of that. I don't agree with that at all. I don't believe you're meant to get attached to one character more than another, rather I think Nolan wants you to care for the entire group as a whole. That's how I look at it, anyway.

I'm not sure where it'll rank amongst the best war films, but I do think that it will have more home video re-playability than a lot of them. Not as long as a lot of them, not as gory as a lot of them, and the visuals are incredible.
Yeah, I'm gonna go see it.
JW381
8/9/2017 10:59am
SweetDaddy wrote:
I did not like it.
Fair enough, why not?
JW381
8/9/2017 1:41pm
SweetDaddy wrote:
I did not like it.
JW381 wrote:
Fair enough, why not?
SweetDaddy wrote:
I dont want to ruin it for other suckers
Well alright then, thanks for stopping by lol
8/9/2017 1:59pm
The part with the gliding Spitfire was the only bit that didn't sit well with me, I know they have a long glide but damn....
JW381
8/9/2017 3:41pm
The part with the gliding Spitfire was the only bit that didn't sit well with me, I know they have a long glide but damn....
Yeah that was hilarious haha it looked like an RC plane
8/11/2017 7:34am Edited Date/Time 8/11/2017 7:41am
Just got back from the cinema and absolutely loved it, especially the Spitfire scenes. Would be interesting to see Nolan do a Battle of Britain follow up.

I didn't personally have a problem with the gliding scene as it's perfectly doable (depending on conditions they can go a bloody long way - plus the way time is presented in the movie isn't a straight line progression) but... Edited for spoilers... Overall fantastic.
8/11/2017 8:26am
Just got back from the cinema and absolutely loved it, especially the Spitfire scenes. Would be interesting to see Nolan do a Battle of Britain follow...
Just got back from the cinema and absolutely loved it, especially the Spitfire scenes. Would be interesting to see Nolan do a Battle of Britain follow up.

I didn't personally have a problem with the gliding scene as it's perfectly doable (depending on conditions they can go a bloody long way - plus the way time is presented in the movie isn't a straight line progression) but... Edited for spoilers... Overall fantastic.
The distance is do-able under the right conditions, altitude and speed, but the other bit not a chance
Ebs
8/11/2017 5:47pm
Good watch, I really dug the way the timeline was laid out. Yeah, the Spitfire glide was a little ridiculous but was still a cool scene and they're almost always going to 'story enhance' some stuff.

Post a reply to: Dunkirk

The Latest