Related:
Create New Tag
Motomaniac Motomaniac
10/26/2017 3:00 PM

Need advice on exercise equipment. I had 2 micro discectomies last year and can no longer jog or get my heart rate to
a high level. I think I was told that an elliptical is one of the better machines for a bad back. It is supposed to help
stretch muscles and provide a low impact aerobic work out. Does that sound about right?
I'm looking for any input before I buy one.

Falcon Falcon
10/26/2017 3:27 PM

Ask a sports physiologist or your regular doctor. Whatever you do, don't heed the advice of anybody on here that recommends a KX500.

Braaapin' aint easy.

Reese95w Reese95w
10/26/2017 3:31 PM

I'm starting to get Arthritis in my knees and I find the elliptical machine is very low impact and easy on my knees. However I can't say that your heart rate will not go up using one. The elliptical machines that I use have heart rate monitors, I don't know how accurate the are but you can keep an eye on that and slow down if your heart rate gets too high. And lots of people use those FitBit things now to monitor heart rate. Now that it's getting cold and rainy around here I need to get back to the gym and the elliptical. Swimming is very low impact also.

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

akillerwombat akillerwombat
10/26/2017 4:06 PM
Reese95w wrote:

I'm starting to get ...more

I second swimming - nothing is going to get your heart rate higher quicker.

I've always had pretty shitty knees and tend to gravitate to the bike or elliptical. Occasionally I hit the stairs (we have some good ones around here) and those are an amazing work out as well while being pretty low impact. Usually have wait a few minutes at the top before coming back down (and come down at an incredibly slow pace) but the heart definitely feels stair days.

newmann newmann
10/26/2017 4:08 PM
Motomaniac wrote:

Need advice on exercise ...more

Make sure it's what you need and then go try a bunch out before you buy. Don't go cheap either, make sure you are getting gym quality commercial equipment. We ended up buying a treadmill and elliptical from the same mfg and while the wife loves the treadmill neither of us have grown to like the elliptical. The spacing of the hands and feet just doesn't feel natural. Thought it would be one of those things that would be easy to adjust to but it seems to have gone the other way.

JAFO92 JAFO92
10/26/2017 5:46 PM
newmann wrote:

Make sure it's what you ...more

What brand/model you got ?

"We don't rent pigs."

kzizok kzizok
10/26/2017 6:11 PM

Ellipticals are the ticket. Especially for old busted MX’ers and their knees. One thing I never thought of, until a friend told me, but some people with hip problems (alignment, etc.) have a hard time w/them. FWIW.

Like someone above mentioned, really try out what you think you want so that you are comfortable. I use one three or more times a week and highly recommened it for low impact and good cardio.

much ty. How to spot a paid forum poster/artificial forum traffic producer (see list of actions/phrases below):

Copius pattern amounts of phrases like “Anyone have”..., “Anybody know?”.... and their variations.

Thoughts?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Motomaniac Motomaniac
10/26/2017 7:49 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm going to get an elliptical. I used them in PT and liked them. I can't swim for beans, or I would. I saw one on sale at Costco. A ProForm 1120E for 799.99 delivered. I'm going with Newmann's advice and going to try different ones for fit before I take the plunge. Thanks for the responses.
I can't get my leg over the new MX bikes, let alone a KX500!

-MAVERICK- -MAVERICK-
10/26/2017 7:53 PM
Motomaniac wrote:

I was paralyzed in an MX accident so obviously running, cycling, rowing, etc. was out of the question for me. Fortunately I was able to find an alternative with an upper body trainer. The one I have is actually a total body trainer.

Basicly it's like I'm cycling with my arms. Since I can't pedal with my legs I just strap my feet in and as I "pedal" with my arms my legs just follow the motion which helps with circulation.

My brother used it for a long time pedalling with both his arms and his legs and he says it's the best cardio workout he ever experienced. I asked him why he didn't do any of his cardio at the gym and his reply was "there's just nothing like it". It'll definitely get your heart pumping.

It's got different programs to choose from. Anything from super easy to practically impossible. Programs from continuous hill climb, interval training, etc.

If you have a chance look into those. The one I have and use is made by SciFit but have seen other makes. Check around town to see if any gym's have either an upper body one or a total body. Give them a try and you'll work up a sweat in no time. If you decide to purchase one get the total body one. More versatile.

Here's a small clip about one similar to the one I'm using.

?rel=0

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

newmann newmann
10/27/2017 8:12 AM
Motomaniac wrote:

newmann wrote:

Make sure it's what you ...more

JAFO92 wrote:

What brand/model you got ? ...more

True.

Photo

peelout peelout
10/27/2017 1:34 PM
Photo

Photo

Photo

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry