Equifax Hacked

JAFO92
9/8/2017 4:43am Edited Date/Time 9/14/2017 6:59pm
Looks like Equifax got hacked, you guys need to go to this site and sign up for their free credit-file monitoring.

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com

|
IWreckALot
9/8/2017 7:08am Edited Date/Time 9/8/2017 7:08am
I have a membership through an Equifax service. I'm not sure how it all works, but I can view my updated credit with the three big reporting services each quarter and get updates from Equifax monthly.

I'm guessing my data is probably part of the compromise.
IWreckALot
9/8/2017 7:14am
Actually, I just logged in to my account and it's an Experian service that I have.
SEE ARE125
9/8/2017 8:13am Edited Date/Time 9/8/2017 8:15am
^^ I would still check it. If you follow that link, you can put in your last name and the last 6 digits of your social to see if you may be affected. Unfortunately, I guess I was on the list. lol I signed up for the free monitoring just in case.
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
9/8/2017 8:39am
Don't sign up for the free credit monitoring! Doing so waives your right to sue them. Class action lawsuit is going on, get your $5 instead of bullshit monitoring.

The Shop

JAFO92
9/8/2017 8:58am
colintrax wrote:
Don't sign up for the free credit monitoring! Doing so waives your right to sue them. Class action lawsuit is going on, get your $5 instead...
Don't sign up for the free credit monitoring! Doing so waives your right to sue them. Class action lawsuit is going on, get your $5 instead of bullshit monitoring.
l looked all over and didnt see any language talking about waiving rights, where did you see that?

NorCal 50+
9/8/2017 9:31am
143 million people is nearly half the population of the US!
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
9/8/2017 12:29pm
JAFO92 wrote:
Bottom bullet of the 'FAQ for Consumers' : https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/frequently-asked-questions/ [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/08/213827/s1200_Waiver.jpg[/img]

Bottom bullet of the 'FAQ for Consumers' :

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/frequently-asked-questions/

Interesting. I don't trust them though
lestat
9/10/2017 7:50am
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-07/three-equifax-execut…

The credit-reporting service said earlier in a statement that it discovered the intrusion on July 29. Regulatory filings show that on Aug. 1, Chief Financial Officer John Gamble sold shares worth $946,374 and Joseph Loughran, president of U.S. information solutions, exercised options to dispose of stock worth $584,099. Rodolfo Ploder, president of workforce solutions, sold $250,458 of stock on Aug. 2. None of the filings lists the transactions as being part of 10b5-1 scheduled trading plans
Mr. G
9/10/2017 2:52pm
Bill Handle stated that signing up for their service waves your rights. He also said that the website they set up to check ones status is bogus. Friends of his entered fake names and SS number and the site says :Yep, you've been hacked:.
They are bold enough to try to make money from the people they screwed over. Go figure.
ns503
9/11/2017 4:39am
I'm not getting why this is something you would even want to or need to sign up for in the first place.

If you want to use credit, won't the lender be checking your credit anyway?
motogrady
9/11/2017 7:24pm

Maybe a year ago, I was in the market for a work van,
Ended up going used, for cash, the way I like and usually go.
But, I had looked at and did the paperwork on a 35k new one.
The tall one you can walk thru.
It was nice, but I could not justify it, the cost, in my head.

Thinking about it, when I did the credit app stuff, I'm pretty sure some Equifax stuff went across the desk.
I remember not liking giving up date of birth, SS number, address. To the point I almost got up and walked away.

But, I did.

Now, the last thing I want to do is mess with those guys again.
One part of me wants to contact them, to see if my info got swiped.
But I hear I have to give it all to them again if I want to know.
Huh? Are they kiddin?

Seems to me, the right thing they should do is make a list, and notify all those that got jacked,
I mean, I was told all that stuff was confidential.
They dropped the ball, they were negligent.

They should pay.

colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
9/11/2017 8:17pm
motogrady wrote:
Maybe a year ago, I was in the market for a work van, Ended up going used, for cash, the way I like and usually go...

Maybe a year ago, I was in the market for a work van,
Ended up going used, for cash, the way I like and usually go.
But, I had looked at and did the paperwork on a 35k new one.
The tall one you can walk thru.
It was nice, but I could not justify it, the cost, in my head.

Thinking about it, when I did the credit app stuff, I'm pretty sure some Equifax stuff went across the desk.
I remember not liking giving up date of birth, SS number, address. To the point I almost got up and walked away.

But, I did.

Now, the last thing I want to do is mess with those guys again.
One part of me wants to contact them, to see if my info got swiped.
But I hear I have to give it all to them again if I want to know.
Huh? Are they kiddin?

Seems to me, the right thing they should do is make a list, and notify all those that got jacked,
I mean, I was told all that stuff was confidential.
They dropped the ball, they were negligent.

They should pay.

If you have a credit score they got your information.
ns503
9/12/2017 4:08am
I just find all this 'credit score' crap, quite a mind boggling concept and just cannot relate...
9/13/2017 7:07pm
I worked for a company in this business and free or not free they are all suspect to hacking.

For instance, the shitty company I used to work for charges $39.95 a month for 3 bureau credit reporting and monitoring. That same company had all of their employees information hacked which resulted in lost identity for both the employees and their spouses. Many of us had fake IRS claims made with all our confidential information. If they can't protect their employees do you think they can protect their clients?

Credit reporting companies are scammy but we all need a credit report for those large purchases so unless you pay cash for everything we are all at risk and with little that can be done if hacked and identities stolen.
ns503
9/14/2017 4:14am
Start with a basic credit card. Through your bank. Keep it paid off. Get a credit line. Through your bank. Make the payments. Get a mortgage. Through your bank. Make the payments. Get a secured credit line. Through your bank. Make the payments. That's how to build credit, in stages, all through a relationship your bank. That's where I'm at - no need to pay anything to any credit bureau for any credit reports or sign your life away with them. We had a situation in our family this year that ended up with us acquiring interest in a vacation property that had been in the family for decades. Five minutes at the bank to get a draft on our secured credit line for $60k - at very good interest rates & payment terms - and it was done.
huck
9/14/2017 6:06am
Not sure if it's related...but since 6pm yesterday, I have received 2900 emails saying that I have 'signed up' for newsletters from worldpress among others. Fun times weeding through 2900 emails to pull out my 50 or so legit ones...
Mr. G
9/14/2017 9:56am
ns503 wrote:
Start with a basic credit card. Through your bank. Keep it paid off. Get a credit line. Through your bank. Make the payments. Get a mortgage...
Start with a basic credit card. Through your bank. Keep it paid off. Get a credit line. Through your bank. Make the payments. Get a mortgage. Through your bank. Make the payments. Get a secured credit line. Through your bank. Make the payments. That's how to build credit, in stages, all through a relationship your bank. That's where I'm at - no need to pay anything to any credit bureau for any credit reports or sign your life away with them. We had a situation in our family this year that ended up with us acquiring interest in a vacation property that had been in the family for decades. Five minutes at the bank to get a draft on our secured credit line for $60k - at very good interest rates & payment terms - and it was done.
Good advice
DPR250R
9/14/2017 10:04am
ns503 wrote:
Start with a basic credit card. Through your bank. Keep it paid off. Get a credit line. Through your bank. Make the payments. Get a mortgage...
So banks don't use credit scores?
9/14/2017 6:59pm
Oh, and the kicker to my reply. That shitty company I used to work for employed Ukrainian technology consultants who had access to all our customer databases. Some of the greatest hackers in the world from that part of the world. Credit Card information while encrypted is still stored but if you're gonna give your the keys to the car of non-vetted consultants shit will eventually happen. I'm sure Equifax has taken advantage of $15 an hour off-shore consultants also who probably had the keys.

Post a reply to: Equifax Hacked

The Latest