Fake hips

sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
Edited Date/Time 10/10/2020 2:37am
3 weeks ago today I had my left hip replaced. They sent me home the same day after having me up and walking around the hospital a few hours out of recovery, soon as I took a leak and they knew the plumbing was good I was out the door headed back home. Physical therapy started the next day. Yesterday I walked 2 miles with no assistance from a cane or walker, first time in several years I walked without a limp or pain. I can't believe how far they have come with this surgery. For reference 10 years ago I had my right hip replaced with a "Sports hip" "resurfacing" they called it. That one was supposed to be the latest greatest thing. But the wear surfaces with those are metal rubbing against metal, not good. That one wasn't aligned right, wore out prematurely and I had negative reactions to the metal particles that collected in the surrounding tissue, it short it was a clusterfuck of "Gray fluid in the whole area" and deterioration of tissue. 5 years ago that one was revised with a ceramic coated titanium ball with a plastic liner between the 2 parts, sound cheesy but that one has been great. Anyway for both of the two on the right side I was in the hospital for 3 days and the recovery was lengthy and a bitch. I cannot believe how far they have come with this procedure. Anyway don't know how many of you have dealt with getting new ball joints lol, but it's not as scary a procedure as it used to be. Hope to be back riding fairly soon, the bones have to grow into the implants and be solid before I start jarring them. Just thought I'd share my experience cause I know most old guys that ride dirt bikes are generally beat to shit and a lot will be going through the same thing someday. It's not as bad as it used to be so don't be miserable for too long before you pull the trigger.
|
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/20/2018 9:01am
The "resurfacing" is the one on the right. If your doc wants to put one of these in you, make sure he has done thousands of successful ones, mine was a little off and it fucked me all up. Just a heads up Cool

NorCal 50+
4/20/2018 9:40am
Dude, I would take your time getting back on the bike. Let that thing fully integrate. I decided I would wait a year, which is excessive (ended up being several years).
Did you get the new one with the minimal incision or the one where the old style (through the glute) like I got?
Agreed that the surgery is not that bad. When I woke up and the nurse told me to get out of bed I thought she was crazy. It hurt less when I woke up than it did before.

You will be amazed at the difference. A new hip changed my life.
One piece of advice- do your rehab to the T. I am starting to have a lot of pain in my good hip, possibly because I didn't rehab the bad one enough.
4/20/2018 9:46am
That sounds miserable. But it was probably miserable to begin with. My father in law had both his knees replaced and he feels like a new man. Of course he isn't running or riding a dirt bike. He's a mall walker.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/20/2018 11:17am Edited Date/Time 4/20/2018 11:20am
Norcal50+, Glad you got a good one first try ! My first one was through the back, posterior approach, the recovery was a bitch, and I also waited a year to ride. The revision was the anterior front approach and on that one I trail road at 9 months and raced a little after a year. When I said hope to be riding soon I meant by the end of the year, so not that soon lol This one was also the anterior front approach, the difference between the two is huge. In fact if anyone reading this has a doctor who uses the posterior approach, I’d find another doctor. The front approach is night and day easier then the back

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
4/20/2018 2:55pm
Sumdood, Norcal,
If you don't mind telling, how old are you guys? How old were you when you first got a replacement? I just turned 47 and I still feel great, but then again I've been motoing since I was about 10 and I figure it will catch up with me someday...
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/20/2018 7:00pm Edited Date/Time 4/20/2018 7:02pm
Falcon wrote:
Sumdood, Norcal, If you don't mind telling, how old are you guys? How old were you when you first got a replacement? I just turned 47...
Sumdood, Norcal,
If you don't mind telling, how old are you guys? How old were you when you first got a replacement? I just turned 47 and I still feel great, but then again I've been motoing since I was about 10 and I figure it will catch up with me someday...
My problems started when I was 19, I hyperextended my left knee all the way to where I saw the bottom of my foot. Acl, and meniscus were wrecked. They cut out the meniscus and called it fixed. 30 years of favoring the left side resulted in the right hip wearing out. So I got the right hip done at 49, but that one was fubar and had to be redone 5 years later at age 54. Then 5 years after that had the left side done at 59. So I had 1 at 49, that one redone at 54, and now this one (the other side) at 59. I know not much help lol. If you do need a hip, insist on the front (anterior) approach. If the surgeon doesn’t do them that way find one that does. Good luck hope can keep your oem parts for years to come lol
Nighttrain
4/20/2018 8:35pm
I’m 51yrs old and having a total hip replacement 2-July and knee replacement in December.. Both on the left leg, a total rebuild. I’ve had 6 knee surgeries and 6 years ago a FAI Cam-type corrective surgery on the hip. It’s unbelievable how much the hip pain has ramped up in the last few months. The replacement surgeries scare the piss out of me. But giving up all my recreational passions and chronic pain has put me in a bad place.

Thanks for the thread; Sumdood. Hope your recovery is quick.
NorCal 50+
4/20/2018 11:14pm
Falcon wrote:
Sumdood, Norcal, If you don't mind telling, how old are you guys? How old were you when you first got a replacement? I just turned 47...
Sumdood, Norcal,
To sum it up...I got a full hip in 2013. I was 45. But I had an unfortunate hip bust at 35. I carried three lengthy screws in my femur for ten years, and almost as many racing seasons in Vet B etc.. I had to quit riding because I literally could not climb on a bike anymore. I was using a stand on the start line until a buddy told me one day that I needed to call it quits. But my last season racing was still the best of my life.

I have only had a few rides on my new hip at age 50 1/2. I can honestly say I feel awesome, but I am not taking any big jumps as of yet. I am looking into hare scrambles! I have been riding since age 12 on an XR80.

NorCal 50+
4/22/2018 7:54pm
sumdood wrote:
Norcal50+, Glad you got a good one first try ! My first one was through the back, posterior approach, the recovery was a bitch, and I...
Norcal50+, Glad you got a good one first try ! My first one was through the back, posterior approach, the recovery was a bitch, and I also waited a year to ride. The revision was the anterior front approach and on that one I trail road at 9 months and raced a little after a year. When I said hope to be riding soon I meant by the end of the year, so not that soon lol This one was also the anterior front approach, the difference between the two is huge. In fact if anyone reading this has a doctor who uses the posterior approach, I’d find another doctor. The front approach is night and day easier then the back
I got a friend of mine for whom everything is better. If you got a good bike he has a better one. You get that device, his is always better etc.
He ripped me for getting the old style hip a year or two out from the new one being available. My hip is good, but I got a big ass scar (literally). It's kind of like having the last year of a carbureted bike, but I'll take it,. Laughing If I really cared that much about my skeleton I would be picking flowers not riding motocross.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/22/2018 9:40pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
I got a friend of mine for whom everything is better. If you got a good bike he has a better one. You get that device...
I got a friend of mine for whom everything is better. If you got a good bike he has a better one. You get that device, his is always better etc.
He ripped me for getting the old style hip a year or two out from the new one being available. My hip is good, but I got a big ass scar (literally). It's kind of like having the last year of a carbureted bike, but I'll take it,. Laughing If I really cared that much about my skeleton I would be picking flowers not riding motocross.
Well you made the right call, posterior approach or not. I went for the new sports hip bone conserving bhr resurfacing implant and 5 years later they tore it out and put in an old school total hip in anyway. I wish I never even heard of the new style ones. I have a friend like your buddy too, there's only one thing he doesn't know, the fact that he's a know it all. That fact escapes him somehow Laughing
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/22/2018 10:10pm Edited Date/Time 4/22/2018 10:11pm
Nighttrain wrote:
I’m 51yrs old and having a total hip replacement 2-July and knee replacement in December.. Both on the left leg, a total rebuild. I’ve had 6...
I’m 51yrs old and having a total hip replacement 2-July and knee replacement in December.. Both on the left leg, a total rebuild. I’ve had 6 knee surgeries and 6 years ago a FAI Cam-type corrective surgery on the hip. It’s unbelievable how much the hip pain has ramped up in the last few months. The replacement surgeries scare the piss out of me. But giving up all my recreational passions and chronic pain has put me in a bad place.

Thanks for the thread; Sumdood. Hope your recovery is quick.
Thanks ! You're going to be stoked with a new hip. You'll be able to walk around pain free and they feel rock solid. It took awhile to get there but there's days where I don't even think about my fake hip, I just do whatever I want and don't even notice it. Sounds good right ? I know for a fact a day doesn't go by right now without you thinking about your hip, in fact I bet your whole life revolves around the freakin ice pick in the groin stabbing pain you get just going through the simple movements of day to day life, never mind a long hike or riding a dirtbike. You're going to love it.
This time I did all the exercises they gave me to do pre-surgery and it made this recovery a lot easier than the first two. Start powering ankle pumps, heal raises, hip flexor exercises, butt and thigh crunches, leg lifts etc. get your hip area as strong as you can before surgery it'll help. Good luck
borg
4/23/2018 6:42am
Piston Slap
Fantasy
2410th
4/23/2018 7:10am
I'm 55, had my left one done in 2013. Biometrics device with a porcelain vitamin email infused ball fitting into a UHMW socket. Anterior surgery, it has made my quality of life so much better. Original bone had deteriorated tremendously to the point of incapacitation. I can run, climb ladders, do all my work with no problems.... it does get a little weak after a ton of stairs, but I can live with it.

PS
Piston Slap
Fantasy
2410th
4/23/2018 7:13am
sumdood wrote:
Thanks ! You're going to be stoked with a new hip. You'll be able to walk around pain free and they feel rock solid. It took...
Thanks ! You're going to be stoked with a new hip. You'll be able to walk around pain free and they feel rock solid. It took awhile to get there but there's days where I don't even think about my fake hip, I just do whatever I want and don't even notice it. Sounds good right ? I know for a fact a day doesn't go by right now without you thinking about your hip, in fact I bet your whole life revolves around the freakin ice pick in the groin stabbing pain you get just going through the simple movements of day to day life, never mind a long hike or riding a dirtbike. You're going to love it.
This time I did all the exercises they gave me to do pre-surgery and it made this recovery a lot easier than the first two. Start powering ankle pumps, heal raises, hip flexor exercises, butt and thigh crunches, leg lifts etc. get your hip area as strong as you can before surgery it'll help. Good luck
And....do what sumdood says....exercise, exercise, exercise. ..and walk...tons post op
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
4/23/2018 11:51am
Falcon wrote:
Sumdood, Norcal,
sumdood wrote:
My problems started when I was 19, I hyperextended my left knee all the way to where I saw the bottom of my foot. Acl, and...
My problems started when I was 19, I hyperextended my left knee all the way to where I saw the bottom of my foot. Acl, and meniscus were wrecked. They cut out the meniscus and called it fixed. 30 years of favoring the left side resulted in the right hip wearing out. So I got the right hip done at 49, but that one was fubar and had to be redone 5 years later at age 54. Then 5 years after that had the left side done at 59. So I had 1 at 49, that one redone at 54, and now this one (the other side) at 59. I know not much help lol. If you do need a hip, insist on the front (anterior) approach. If the surgeon doesn’t do them that way find one that does. Good luck hope can keep your oem parts for years to come lol
So far, so good on the OEM parts. Thanks for the info!
Nighttrain
4/23/2018 2:43pm
sumdood wrote:
Thanks ! You're going to be stoked with a new hip. You'll be able to walk around pain free and they feel rock solid. It took...
Thank you. You are spot on about the pain. It’s always there and sometimes very bad. Interrrupted sleep, can’t ride a bicycle or dirt bike without big pain, sick of knowing what I’m missing out on,....I’m ready for the solution.
fcr
4/29/2018 4:13pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2018 4:14pm
I had my left hip done 15 years ago, still no issues. Right hip was done 6 years later, Zimmer duromcup, didn’t heal and had to be revised 6 months later. Nothing but issues since.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/29/2018 5:31pm
fcr wrote:
I had my left hip done 15 years ago, still no issues. Right hip was done 6 years later, Zimmer duromcup, didn’t heal and had to...
I had my left hip done 15 years ago, still no issues. Right hip was done 6 years later, Zimmer duromcup, didn’t heal and had to be revised 6 months later. Nothing but issues since.
What kind of issues ? Do you know what they revised it with ? My first one was never good and revised at 5 years, so far so good knock on wood. What are your symptoms ? My first one never felt normal, "clicked and knocked" when I walked, it felt like a worn out ratchet. The other symptom was I could never build up any muscle around the area, no matter how many exercises and how much pt I did it would never get to where it felt strong and solid, was constantly swollen to the point that it would gather around my foot by the end of the day, it felt like I had wet socks on even if I was barefoot. When I sat down it felt like there was a tennis ball in my ass cheek, and always had a dull toothache type feeling in the whole area. Mine was metal on metal and not aligned right. Hope you can get it sorted out, I know what it's like and it sucks.
fcr
4/29/2018 5:55pm
fcr wrote:
I had my left hip done 15 years ago, still no issues. Right hip was done 6 years later, Zimmer duromcup, didn’t heal and had to...
sumdood wrote:
What kind of issues ? Do you know what they revised it with ? My first one was never good and revised at 5 years, so...
What kind of issues ? Do you know what they revised it with ? My first one was never good and revised at 5 years, so far so good knock on wood. What are your symptoms ? My first one never felt normal, "clicked and knocked" when I walked, it felt like a worn out ratchet. The other symptom was I could never build up any muscle around the area, no matter how many exercises and how much pt I did it would never get to where it felt strong and solid, was constantly swollen to the point that it would gather around my foot by the end of the day, it felt like I had wet socks on even if I was barefoot. When I sat down it felt like there was a tennis ball in my ass cheek, and always had a dull toothache type feeling in the whole area. Mine was metal on metal and not aligned right. Hope you can get it sorted out, I know what it's like and it sucks.
Believe it or not another Zimmer product, my surgeon picked it. The Durom cup was never pulled, they just let it fade away. Tried to blame it on the surgeons. That’s a long story.
Once revised, I could not lift my leg laying on my back. I also have had pain in my groin ever since. Sitting was an issue for about 4 years, I felt like I was sitting in a 10 speed saddle after a 60 mi. ride with no prior riding.
That subsided and now I just feel like I’m sitting on small points, I live with it. My surgeon said I could have a procedure that would relieve the groin, Psoas muscle, but I was over it. It would have been the fourth surgery on that joint. I can’t move quickly if I’m tripping, it feels like I’m stabbed in the groin.
I just live with them for now. Get better, i know what you are going through.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
5/29/2018 8:23am
8 week update. Got back on a bike this weekend ! (plated wr450) No dirt but about 40 street miles on the dual sport. Stoked ! Happy happy. The new hip felt solid and strong and for the first time in years I can get on and off the bike almost like a normal human, lift my leg up onto the kickstarter, all that good shit Laughing Won't be doing any dirt stuff or racing for awhile as I need to wait for the bone ingrowth (6 months-year) But so far the latest ball joint is awesome. Went to Glen Helen on Saturday, did almost 6 miles and just under 16,000 steps with no pain meds or even ibuprofen. Hiked to the top of Mt Whitney on the rem track to watch the 2nd and 3rd moto's, then walked the path through buds creek to the pavilion side where we parked, then walked to dinner that night. So far so good ! Smile
Nighttrain
5/31/2018 6:18pm
That’s good to read, Sumdood. So it takes about 1year before you can ride on the dirt again? Is that the same for riding MTB? I guess it will be about a year after my total knee replacement following the total hip replacement before I can ride again?

That hits home about how different you feel on your bike now. Just getting on my bike is a hassle. I have to press my chest onto the gas tank (KTM 200) to be able to slide my leg over the seat. And no way to lift the leg in a turn. But, hey, at least I’m always standing while riding to avoid the blinding pain of femoroacetabular impingement. I’ll come out of this hell with better riding technique!
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
6/1/2018 8:27am
Nighttrain wrote:
That’s good to read, Sumdood. So it takes about 1year before you can ride on the dirt again? Is that the same for riding MTB? I...
That’s good to read, Sumdood. So it takes about 1year before you can ride on the dirt again? Is that the same for riding MTB? I guess it will be about a year after my total knee replacement following the total hip replacement before I can ride again?

That hits home about how different you feel on your bike now. Just getting on my bike is a hassle. I have to press my chest onto the gas tank (KTM 200) to be able to slide my leg over the seat. And no way to lift the leg in a turn. But, hey, at least I’m always standing while riding to avoid the blinding pain of femoroacetabular impingement. I’ll come out of this hell with better riding technique!
Haha yeah you don't need to put your leg out in turns if your standing the whole time UnsureLaughing . You're about a month out right ? I'm still doing the exercises every night before I go to sleep and my range of motion continues to improve, little by little. If I stop for a couple days I can tell a difference, so I do 20 of everything almost every night. Power out those hip strengthening exercises !, it'll pay off after surgery. I know it hurts to do em but it's not like you're gonna fuck it up any worse, they're gonna rip the thing out anyway fuck it Laughing Good luck !
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
6/1/2018 8:39am Edited Date/Time 6/1/2018 8:41am
I bought this old man style Seat Concepts seat for my dual sport, I call it the “ dual hip replacement special” I don’t think I’d put one on my motocrosser but it sure makes life more comfortable on the dual sport.

Samuel
6/4/2018 6:42pm
There is a member on here that had one in his 20s that is still racing on it over ten years later. I think it was torc1. I thought I'd have a replacement by now, but I'm still going on the original, although some days the pain is fairly bad. I'm only 30, so I'm trying to get the original to go for as long as I can. I have avascular necrosis in one hip.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
6/26/2018 8:37am
12 week update. Walked my daughter down the aisle this weekend, ran around, danced, the whole deal, not one hiccup, I didn't even think about it all day. Also went bodysurfing after work yesterday, it felt strong and solid. I meet with the surgeon Thursday, I'll ask about dirt bikes and racing etc then. I have a feeling he'll say sell them LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing that's what they told me the other 2 times. Will update later but it feels great so far. (knock on wood haha)
Nighttrain
6/26/2018 6:14pm
Thanks for the update, Sumdood. My hip replacement surgery is 3-July. I hope it works.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
6/28/2018 11:15am
Nighttrain wrote:
Thanks for the update, Sumdood. My hip replacement surgery is 3-July. I hope it works.
I hope yours goes as well as this last one went for me. My follow up appointment was today, he said everything looks good and solid, gave me a few more stretches to do and go back to doing whatever I want, swim surf fuck snowboard ride moto all of the above. I need to get my yz back together and start getting my moto legs back, fucking stoked right now ?. I think yours will go so good you’ll be looking for a happier sig pic. Good luck and keep us posted, I’ve got a yz250 to put together !
Nighttrain
7/3/2018 6:14pm
sumdood wrote:
I hope yours goes as well as this last one went for me. My follow up appointment was today, he said everything looks good and solid...
I hope yours goes as well as this last one went for me. My follow up appointment was today, he said everything looks good and solid, gave me a few more stretches to do and go back to doing whatever I want, swim surf fuck snowboard ride moto all of the above. I need to get my yz back together and start getting my moto legs back, fucking stoked right now ?. I think yours will go so good you’ll be looking for a happier sig pic. Good luck and keep us posted, I’ve got a yz250 to put together !
Pics of the end of my femur after it was removed. In 2012 another doctor did a surgery to reshape that part to fit in the joint. The FAI Cam Type corrective surgery only gave relief for a year or 2. I’m too doped up to know how it feels today but I’m walking around already. And they wouldn’t give me my femur that I was going to attach to the top of my hiking stick.

Post a reply to: Fake hips

The Latest